Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Completely Shattered

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Kidd recruits Carver, Capp and Tony to help prepare her new lieutenant's quarters. Severide and Det. Pryma reluctantly pair up to work a police investigation. Firehouse 51 comes together to fight a movie theater fire.

Airdate: 10/05/2022

Goodbye to Violet's boyfriend. I don't like Violet much, but he was a nice character.

I agree that Stella's story about the office waa stupid. You cannot just put a dryer anywhere because you need a place for the vent hose ( unless you want it to catch on fire). 

Stella and Kelly have fallen into the trap of nothing interesting happening for married characters. Who cares if her office is a few inches smaller?  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I also hate smug Stella.  Am I the only one hoping she would be the one who would die last night?  Of course not, they only kill the nice ones. And give me a break about her needing an office. She is just so self important. Oh, and did she abandon her groundbreaking “girls on fire” program?

• Like 5
  • Love 5

I blame Boden, actually. Why would he ever approve Stella moving into the laundry room?  A firehouse needs laundry facilities - all of that, from her request to the antics of moving the machines - was so stupid. 

The rest of the show wasn't too bad. At least the writers are adding a little bit of humor around Severide playing Fire Cop. It seems like more of an inside joke now, which is better, IMO. 

Violet isn't a favorite of mine, but the actress did a decent job at the end. It was sad to see Hawkins be the victim; I figured that everyone would make it out like they always do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Violet isn't a favorite of mine, but the actress did a decent job at the end. It was sad to see Hawkins be the victim; I figured that everyone would make it out like they always do. 

I agree.  Her acting in the scene was heartbreaking.  She should get better storylines or leave for a show that uses her talents better.  There are way too many mundane plots on this show about things like petty office fights, furniture, and ambulance maintenance.  It has to get boring for the actors.

• Love 8

Nice fake-out making us think it would be Gallo who wouldn't make it out alive. But Hawkins has never been enough of a major character for me to care about him. Pretty low stakes by offing that one. 

I didn't understand the fire situation either. They went into one of the theaters and there just seemed to be fire emanating here and there randomly with people just cowering between the seats. It looked like someone came along and just set random areas on fire (which the FX team apparently did) but it didn't look like there was enough of it to keep people from getting out. It looked like they could have just jumped over seats into another row to get out that way.

The washer/dryer thing was stupid; Boden shouldn't have said Stella could convert the laundry room unless there was an alternative spot for laundry, which clearly there wasn't. A fire house needs laundry more than Stella needs her own quarters. Total BS. 

Also - don't Capp and Tony resent it when Cruz is put in charge while Severide is out playing Sherlock Holmes? They have both been there longer than him.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Why exactly couldn’t Stella use the Blue Office? And how do these quarters work actually? Does Severide and Herman pack up their stuff at the end of their shift? Are there 2 other sets of quarters for first and third shift? And how does Boden’s schedule work? Does he only work every three days too, or does he work every day? Where is his comfy bed that never gets slept on?  Why am I spending this much time thinking about this?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I don’t normally watch this show, but caught the scene last night when they were attempting to resuscitate the guy who died.  Why did they stop the resuscitation?  Don’t they have to wait for a doctor to call a death?  Don’t they attempt to revive all the way to the hospital, once they start?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don’t normally watch this show, but caught the scene last night when they were attempting to resuscitate the guy who died.  Why did they stop the resuscitation?  Don’t they have to wait for a doctor to call a death?  Don’t they attempt to revive all the way to the hospital, once they start?  

I don't know exactly how it works in the real world, but on this show, paramedics (and police officers on the sister show Chicago PD), call it all the time.  Depending on jurisdiction in the United States, most paramedics can pronounce someone dead, but a doctor has to sign the death certificate.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Why exactly couldn’t Stella use the Blue Office? And how do these quarters work actually? Does Severide and Herman pack up their stuff at the end of their shift? Are there 2 other sets of quarters for first and third shift?

I had the same question about the blue office - the washer/dryer is not just something you can move anywhere.

I believe that the lieutenants share their quarters with other shifts because IIRC, Casey was bitching about his "roommate's" choice of decor at one point?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

As Herman said, he waited 5 years for office space. So Stella should shut up and sit down.

Eh, Herman did not wait. He did the exact same song and dance except he set his new office on fire in the process.

• Love 1

my reaction to this week's Fire and PD after an initial round of "bro wtf?!?!":

Fox Tv Fire GIF by Bob's Burgers

i watched the entire death scene on twitter and... there's something so beautifully dark about the final 5 seconds. Hawkins' dead body, with his eyes still wide open, Boden holding a kicking and screaming Violet, engulfed in her own emotional hellfire, then fade out to "Executive producer: Dick Wolf", the name itself a cruel reminder to Hawkins/Mikami shippers that this is still his universe; and in his universe, no accidents allowed, especially happy ones like that relationship.

Everyone knows it was always temporary, yet these people still foolishly hoped against hope, so now their misery, trauma and heartbreak is a great source of sadistic amusement for me on social media. Sorry not sorry.

Edited by agentp
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Regarding the quarters, the show appears to just handwave away the existence of the other two shifts.  Assuming a full staffing on each rig, that means there are at least 36 people who shuffle through that house on a regular basis, but mention is never made about the accommodations for everyone else.  It's just something they hope the audience will overlook.

Gotta laugh when the Detective Pyrma lets Severide take all the lumps and fight with the guy with a gun, and then comes over to cuff him up.

Are Chicagoans that stupid that they wait around in a burning theater for the fire department to rescue them?  I would have been out that door at the first smell of smoke, let alone fire.

I think that if I were the new FF, after being grilled about the injury, would tell Stella that I'm putting in my transfer request immediately, and Chief Boden would hear about the reason.

Hawkins might be alive today if he hadn't wasted time asking the guy's name and talking to him, instead of just pulling him out of harm's way.  And maybe Violet could have helped instead of standing there saying, "Chief Boden, it looks like Hawkins has another victim over there."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

Did they really burn down a movie theater for the show or was it just movie magic that made it look that way?

Really awful VFX. What theater today isn't rigged with sprinklers in the first place? Hint: the lights were on and the movie was still running. A handline down each aisle and it's out. P.S. cinema wallcoverings must be as close to completely fireproof as possible to achieve. I worked in the industry for a while and got to know all about that. Why were there flames on the roof if the interior wasn't fully roaring? Did anybody bother to see if there were someone trapped in the projection room? Although sadly these days there's no more film and booths are generally unmanned. But still.

As for Hawkins, what, didn't they have a helicopter they could drop on him? Definitely a better way to go out than a lousy fake building facade.

I hadn't read or heard any spoilers so I had no idea someone wasn't going to make it out alive. Hanako Greensmith did a great job in that scene; my hat's off to her. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

As for Hawkins, what, didn't they have a helicopter they could drop on him? Definitely a better way to go out than a lousy fake building facade.

This was the reason for my "laugh" response, obvs.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That was just awful.  They finally had a good relationship going on this show and then had to kill it in favor of stupid self-centered Stella ordering everyone in the firehouse around for her own wants.  Not happy in this household or others that we talked to.  Stella could easily have been erased from the show with no tears.  And the firemen lugging the washer and dryer around???  Do firemen not know enough not to hook up an electrical appliance right next to a water source?  Where was Severeid when you needed him?  Oh yeah, he was off investigating a murder.  What a stupid show.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, marionette said:

That was just awful.  They finally had a good relationship going on this show and then had to kill it in favor of stupid self-centered Stella ordering everyone in the firehouse around for her own wants.  Not happy in this household or others that we talked to.  Stella could easily have been erased from the show with no tears.  And the firemen lugging the washer and dryer around???  Do firemen not know enough not to hook up an electrical appliance right next to a water source?  Where was Severeid when you needed him?  Oh yeah, he was off investigating a murder.  What a stupid show.

Sorry, but a good relationship?  It had the same issues as ALL of the rest - a female subordinate dating her male superior.  It's happened every.  single.  time.

IMO, the only good relationships are Boden and Donna, Herrmann and Cindy, and Mouch and Trudy.  They don't work together! 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Hate that they killed Hawkins, he and Violet were great together. I enjoyed their relationship. They should have made him perm, not kill him.

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

We're just catching up on this now and I really hate how this is turning into Chicago Stella.  Killing off Hawkins was terrible.  It's like the writers don't want anyone to be happy besides Stella.  I'm a little surprised they haven't killed off Trudy or Herman's family yet.

The whole side story with Stella's office and the washer and dryer was absolutely stupid.  Those appliances need dedicated outlets and breakers, water lines, drain, and a vent.  You can't just move the washer and dryer and put them wherever you want ... especially in a shower stall!

And we got to see Detective Severide again.  Just move him over to Chicago PD at this point.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, KeithJ said:

The whole side story with Stella's office and the washer and dryer was absolutely stupid.  Those appliances need dedicated outlets and breakers, water lines, drain, and a vent.  You can't just move the washer and dryer and put them wherever you want ... especially in a shower stall!

This!  Even the writers should know that.  I'm no handywoman, but even I know that!!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 10/21/2022 at 2:46 PM, KeithJ said:

We're just catching up on this now and I really hate how this is turning into Chicago Stella. 

4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I wish she would go away.

Who's worse: Stella, or the all-seeing, all-knowing Gabriella Dawson, First Of Her Name? Sorry, but I'll take Stella over Gaby every time. And I kinda like Kidd to begin with, even though she's been more annoying lately. Just less Stellaride and more Everything Else.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Who's worse: Stella, or the all-seeing, all-knowing Gabriella Dawson, First Of Her Name?

You should come over to Fire Country, where they trade high rises for pine trees, but the plot is just the same.

3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

You should come over to Fire Country, where they trade high rises for pine trees, but the plot is just the same.

Just watched the first two last night. It's somewhat enjoyable if I handwave the firefighting aspect.

Edited to add that I have zero point of reference for CalFire or wildfire suppression in general...or California. All my experience and knowledge comes from urban/suburban firefighting protocols on the east coast and in Toronto. From a dramatic presentation standpoint this is working for me and there's nothing too cringe-worthy, except maybe how lightning seems to come out of benign altocumulus skies for some reason. Probably because...California or something.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
On 10/26/2022 at 2:36 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

Just watched the first two last night. It's somewhat enjoyable if I handwave the firefighting aspect.

Edited to add that I have zero point of reference for CalFire or wildfire suppression in general...or California. All my experience and knowledge comes from urban/suburban firefighting protocols on the east coast and in Toronto. From a dramatic presentation standpoint this is working for me and there's nothing too cringe-worthy, except maybe how lightning seems to come out of benign altocumulus skies for some reason. Probably because...California or something.

I've never seen this show, but I'm going to assume that lightning starts the fires?  That would probably be because the show can't outright blame PG&E, the electric company, without getting sued or something...

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I've never seen this show, but I'm going to assume that lightning starts the fires?  That would probably be because the show can't outright blame PG&E, the electric company, without getting sued or something...

Oh lightning fires are definitely a thing, but the CGI lightning from benign clouds that cannot produce thunderstorms was just so awful it was laughable. Cumulonimbus cloud bases have a very specific look, and these weren't them. You should give the show a try, though. It's actually not horrible and the characters are written (and acted) much better than Chicago Fire. IMHO it's the best new show of the season.

• Like 1
On 10/21/2022 at 1:46 PM, KeithJ said:

We're just catching up on this now and I really hate how this is turning into Chicago Stella.  Killing off Hawkins was terrible.  It's like the writers don't want anyone to be happy besides Stella.  I'm a little surprised they haven't killed off Trudy or Herman's family yet.

And we got to see Detective Severide again.  Just move him over to Chicago PD at this point.

Couldn't agree more. I thought  the show the turning into Gabby Fire was bad. But Stella has become an even worse version of Gabby. She doesn't have an office, so she complains to get one, and then uses the "the only female" officer card to get her way. Stupid. As Hermann said, you have to wait. There's nothing sexist about it. Hermann had to wait. I'm sure Matt and Kelly had to wait when they first became officers. Stella is too good to wait now. She wants an office so bad, move into the blue room that remains unused.

And the investigation crap with Severide is just becoming a bore. Severide knows the signs of arson. Now he can tell what kind of torch was used. He can find what kind of explosive was used. Kelly Severide is the ONLY person in the entire CFD that can help with this, and not OFI.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:46 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Sorry, but a good relationship?  It had the same issues as ALL of the rest - a female subordinate dating her male superior.  It's happened every.  single.  time.

IMO, the only good relationships are Boden and Donna, Herrmann and Cindy, and Mouch and Trudy.  They don't work together! 

You forgot Cruz and Chloe. They also don't work together. And the major plus of them having relationships with people they don't work with is that their drama is not dragged onto the screen every episode.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

You forgot Cruz and Chloe. They also don't work together. And the major plus of them having relationships with people they don't work with is that their drama is not dragged onto the screen every episode.

I didn't really forget them, I'm just not a huge fan of Chloe. 

15 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

And the investigation crap with Severide is just becoming a bore. Severide knows the signs of arson. Now he can tell what kind of torch was used. He can find what kind of explosive was used. Kelly Severide is the ONLY person in the entire CFD that can help with this, and not OFI.

I actually like the fact Severide is good with arson investigation. Some folks really do have the knack for it (I knew one such person many years ago). But let's say TPTB decide to make him a full-time arson investigator. What do they do with him onscreen to make him still visible? OFI is based out of HQ so how do you keep the star of the show in every episode? All I can think of is they give him a satellite office in 51 to be a field investigator since so many suspicious fires seem to be in 51's response area. That would also open up another LT spot (Squad).

8 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

That would also open up another LT spot (Squad).

To go along with the open BC spot and the open Captain spot, I guess.  Yeah, they maneuvered Boden back into the station, but just for a tad of realism he should be taking care of the rest of the district from time to time.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

To go along with the open BC spot and the open Captain spot, I guess.  Yeah, they maneuvered Boden back into the station, but just for a tad of realism he should be taking care of the rest of the district from time to time.

Well since you don't see him for most of the episodes you can assume he's doing DDC stuff then, but I agree maybe showing him being interrupted during a Very Serious Discussion to respond to a fire not in 51s response area would be realistic, or have his car not in the apparatus bay all the time. And why doesn't he have a driver? Dunno if it's actual policy in Chicago, but in a lot of bigger departments, battalion chiefs have a chauffeur so they can work the radio, lookup CIDS information or perform other time-critical tasks while enroute. Yes, yes, I know--one more expensive cast member on the show if they did.

• Like 1