Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Americans and Their Dreams

• Start Topic

After Bob takes a step back from his busy work life, he decides to buy a boat to enjoy during his free time. Also, a newspaper comes to MaxDot to interview Goodwin.

Airdate: 10/03/2022

Not liking stay at home Bob.

I thought Goodwin was going to do a crappy job but he looks like he wants to take over what the Wheelers built. Maybe that's just me.

I hope they clear this up in another episode or 2 and just have Bob as President and Goodwin as VP and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Too bad Ebun wasn't in this episode, I was curious what she had to say about Bob buying a boat. I hope the fight over the company plotline doesn't last too many episodes, it is not that interesting.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Hated the boat blocking the emergency room, even after repeated pleas to move. So selfish, and not remotely funny.

That took me right out of the episode. Could not see Bob doing that - it’s just so out of character. Park it across the street to show her, or at home, but to leave it in the ambulance lane? And blast the horn? And ignore multiple requests to move it? Come on, now. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Hated the boat blocking the emergency room, even after repeated pleas to move. So selfish, and not remotely funny.

Agree!!  I cringed throughout that whole scene.  Wasn't too happy that Abishola walked away from her patient either.  Irresponsible!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

3 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

That took me right out of the episode. Could not see Bob doing that - it’s just so out of character.

I think the boat blocking the emergency room was supposed to hang a lantern on Bob not being himself.

This Bob gave me a little PTSD about my ex of 30 years ago, but none of the present-day Wheelers will ever have to feed their kids oatmeal and potatoes for dinner.  
Still, being able to relate to this temporary version of Bob (as well as Abishola and Dotty) made me chuckle and smile. 

IRL, Goodwin being such a fantastic manager/president would be a huge stroke of good luck for Bob and Dot. 

I wonder where they're going with Douglass. It seems he too could contribute to the company in a meaningful way with the right encouragement. 
I can imagine Douglass starring in video ads for snowboarding socks that include him pointing out the finer points of sock construction and quality for snowboarders.
He wouldn't actually have to snowboard, just like Bob doesn't swim.😉

• Love 2

I think the boat in the emergency lane was certainly an indicator that Bob is not himself.  I also think it was supposed to be his "Romancing the Stone" moment where he makes this extravagant gesture to sweep Abishola off her feet.  I would be extremely amused if they continue this meme of famous moments from romantic movies.  Have him climb a ladder or stairwell carrying roses (Pretty Woman) or hold our his phone and play a song through the speaker (Say Anything) or get his ear pierced and hand an earring to Abishola (The Breakfast Club).  Bonus points if it is subtle.

• Love 1

Oh come on show this is ridiculous. Abishola would never have left a patient in the middle of whatever the hell she was doing there. And Bob is acting like an ass. How about one time we show some rich dude who just retired with oodles of money actually doing some volunteer work instead of just buying a boat when he’s never even been on the water and knows nothing about boats and being lost because he’s retired.  your life doesn’t end. There’s plenty of stuff he could be doing and you can still make it funny because what you just showed us was not funny in the least and it was stupid . Maybe Bob can jump the shark in his new boat.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Oh come on show this is ridiculous. Abishola would never have left a patient in the middle of whatever the hell she was doing there.

Actually, I thought the writers did an excellent job prepping that scene. Gloria was with the coma-guy patient, so Abishola did not really abandon him. And Abishola just knew that Bob was at the emergency entrance when she ran out——presumably thinking Bob had another heart attack or other, similar reason to be at the emergency entrance.

But, yeah:

17 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

How about one time we show some rich dude who just retired with oodles of money actually doing some volunteer work

I would love to see Bob getting into volunteer work.
At first Abishola and her family would think working for no pay for strangers made no sense (I think?).
But then she'd realize they could save more in taxes than Bob was "earning" when paying himself a salary from the company.
Kind of like Paul Newman or Bill Gates on a sock-empire-sized income.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder where they're going with Douglass. It seems he too could contribute to the company in a meaningful way with the right encouragement. 
I can imagine Douglass starring in video ads for snowboarding socks that include him pointing out the finer points of sock construction and quality for snowboarders.
He wouldn't actually have to snowboard, just like Bob doesn't swim.😉

Douglas should take over Goodwin's old position of floor manager.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Driad said:

Does anyone at MaxDot besides Bob speak Chinese? Who is negotiating with suppliers now?

Talking to the Chinese should be Bob’s responsibility until someone else can step up.

Goodwin could take Chinese language classes, or the show could add a character played by a speaker of Chinese.

Third option:  
MaxDot starts manufacturing socks in Detroit. 
Or maybe Christina is already starting such an operation with Toesy Woseys.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Goodwin being such a fantastic manager/president would be a huge stroke of good luck for Bob and Dot. 

I think either Goodwin or Bob will buy out Toesie Woesies (sp?), since they seem to be having problems, and take it from there.

Hated the Bob and the Boat contrivance. Drop it. Bob and Uncle Tunde in the supermarket was a lot more fun!

They seem to be softening Abishola up a bit. Too many fans wondering why they stay together?

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

or the show could add a character played by a speaker of Chinese.

Like an Asian actor, for instance?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Actually, I thought the writers did an excellent job prepping that scene. Gloria was with the coma-guy patient, so Abishola did not really abandon him. And Abishola just knew that Bob was at the emergency entrance when she ran out——presumably thinking Bob had another heart attack or other, similar reason to be at the emergency entrance.

But, yeah:

I would love to see Bob getting into volunteer work.
At first Abishola and her family would think working for no pay for strangers made no sense (I think?).
But then she'd realize they could save more in taxes than Bob was "earning" when paying himself a salary from the company.
Kind of like Paul Newman or Bill Gates on a sock-empire-sized income.

She definitely knew he did not have a heart attack. It didn’t play that way at all. There was no reason she had to drop caring for her patient to go see what her ass of a husband was up to. I was hoping her friend would say “ where the hell are you going? You are in the middle of a job” very unprofessional and potentially dangerous.
And Bob should know better than to harass his wife at her very important job taking care of the sick. But maybe they are trying to show his oncoming mental breakdown/ midlife crisis. 
It doesn’t have to be that he turns his company or part of it, into a nonprofit. There is plenty of potential for laughs having Bob volunteer at an animal shelter or whatever and this country needs to see more altruistic behavior on tv. 

• Love 3

I don't care for this storyline very much. Would Bob have the sole authority to offer his position to an employee on the floor? What are his credentials/education/degrees that qualify him to be president? I don't like the "taking over" the company storyline either. Dot is a business woman, not a token employee of the company. She and her husband started it from the ground up.. Bob's ridiculous behavior is over the top. I hope this show improves.

• Love 5

I would love to see Bob and Uncle Tunde do something together - maybe they could try flipping a house.  Remember when Tunde taught Dele to paint a room?  Didn’t he also try to help Bob fix a dishwasher?  Tunde, Bob & Dele together would be great.  They already have a fun dynamic and we need more of Bob and Dele bonding.

• Love 2
On 10/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, greekmom said:

I thought Goodwin was going to do a crappy job but he looks like he wants to take over what the Wheelers built. Maybe that's just me.

I was happy at first with Goodwin finally getting to run things and Bob getting to relax, but I didn't like the way Goodwin treated Dottie... This is her company. No matter how old or annoying she may be, she doesn't deserve to be pushed out that way. I loved the ending when she clearly saw through him.

• Like 2
  • Love 2