Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: The End of the Yips

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

As Diane encounters her first “therapy” session, she begins to see everything in a positive light. After agreeing to participate in a student project about Black female attorneys, Liz must find a way to prevent an unfair takedown of her reputation. Eli Gold returns to help Marissa in court.

Original air date: September 15, 2022

Eli Gold! Eli Gold! ELI GOLD!!
I wish he could stay for the whole season.
Alicia is thriving in New York while her scumbag husband is back to jail for good. Hah!
Will I ask for too much if Alicia would also make a cameo?

As for the rest, I cannot say I enjoyed much the whole Diana "drug therapy" or whatever this is. This is a repetitive thing with Diane and her existential issues and well it is getting tiring. 
As much as I adore the actor, I am also  a tad annoyed by Ri'chard 's character. We haven't had a glimpse on how good of a lawyer he might be, just that he is another super eccentric & power hungry advocate. And that thing that he is praying all the time.. "Help me Jesus to be a super rich prick playing power games in a big law firm". 
I never really liked those extra weird super lawyers of the Good Wife universe, except Elzbeth Tasccioni (sp?). 

So I guess the finale will have to do with whatever will happen on that demonstration on November 10th?

• Like 2
  • Love 2

First glimpse of Kurt this season on "zoom"! Gary Cole was still busy filming the previous season of NCIS in the spring when TGF s6 started filming, so I didn't expect to see Kurt in the early episodes. The old ploy of put the actor on " facetime"/"zoom" if they're unavailable to be in the same room.

Calling it now: dear Kurt will only appear in 2 episodes in-person this season, one of which should be the series finale. Diane will stay married to Kurt to sendoff the series on a happy note in that regard, which will make the McHart pairing fans happy.

• Like 4

Liz was a force this episode.  Loved her calling out Ri'chard's bs, along with that of the documentarian.  Also enjoyed the Alicia/Peter update, and Alan Cumming's performance in general.  

I'm interested in the overall storyline about whatever 11/10 will be, but am worried it will all just be a big letdown.    

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Eli! I'll suffer through a massive Marisa overdose for Eli. (Although good grief, her little tantrum at the end. Hilarious that she called her dad and had him make her bosses give her back a slot she lost and never should've had in the first place, but how dare he want something from her as well!) Eli's presence made an eyeroll of a case more entertaining too (pretty much every beat was incredibly predictable).

I'm with those who don't care for Diane's story. I want her on cases, not drugs!

Audra McDonald was fantastic this episode. She cracked me up in that confrontation with Ri'chard.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Funny how the show threw in Eli making it clear that Marissa was on thin ice because of the Mandy Patinkin stuff last year.  Do the showrunners know how much people like me absolutely hated last season?  Wonder if that was a little wink to that fact. LOL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I'm with those who don't care for Diane's story. I want her on cases, not drugs!

Yes. Let's see some of her awesome lawyering. And going on a drug trip before work? WTF? Very self-indulgent. 

What is up with all the "Will security walk us to our cars?" questions? Doesn't Chicago have good publc transit? And doesn't that building have a garage? Or are they not allowed to use the garage becase of all the security?

I for one kind of like that Marissa is struggling a bit. She's a Beta in a world of Alphas. Most of the new lawyers this show introduces are genuises right out of law school (see: Carmen). So it is refreshing to see something different.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I thought this episode inched closer to classic Good Wife/Fight versus the last couple seasons. which were hard for me to get through.  I don't mind Diane still being in existential crisis, cuz, I mean, who isn't?! I would love for JM to have a role. She and Diane did not end on good terms and them reconciling would add to any closure. 

I assume Peter "not being able to come back from this one" is a nod to Chris Noth's scandal for which he was killed off of the Sex & the City reboot. 

• Like 1

I love the character, Eli Gold, but I was somewhat disappointed with the episode. Yes, Audra MacDonald was great in her role, and I enjoyed that, but Marisa and Eli's case was never resolved, was it? While I liked that the case provided an opportunity to "discuss" the various ways people think they are doing something good, while being unaware of other atrocities in the world, I found the case kind of a dud. Did the client decide to go to Israel after all. She was being sued for cancelling her dates in Israel over protesting their treatment of the Palestinians. Then the lawyer against her brings up China and how she's still going there despite all of the human rights violations going on in China. So she cancels those dates too, and then her manager freaks and makes her take it back about China. Was there a resolution about Israel? 

Nice to hear about Alicia. When Eli remarked to Diane that she seemed sad (while I thought she seemed out of it) and she said she was sad, I wonder if she's heading to NYC at the end of the series. 

Guess I liked the episode more than I thought. Still confused about Eli and Marisa's case though. 

• Like 1

You'd think the firm would've done a better job of vetting the documentarian before she was given free rein.

Ri'Chard is incredibly shady, and I think he definitely uses the religion thing to distract people. Looks like Liz finally figured it out though and worked it against him right to his face. If he ever starts up again with her she should drop the word "Pharisees" into the conversation. Jesus was not a fan.

I sure hope it isn't going to turn out the drug doctor Diane is seeing is molesting her why she's knocked out. Seems like whatever he's giving her has a roofie effect on her memory.

Diane going to work high AF. Meh. I'm not finding it amusing anymore.

Yeah, it's dumbfounding how China cannot be criticized by any entertainers else China throws the weight of their size against them. No one can afford to be locked out of China as a venue because it's a loss of an enormous amount of money. Some movies these days don't even get out of the red until they open in China and other parts of Asia. And now several larger countries are demanding modifications to film endings, dialogue, etc. due to the sensibilities of their particular cultures.

Will I ask for too much if Alicia would also make a cameo?

A hard pass from me on that possibility. I think JM really went out badly on TGW, the way she would barely do scenes with most of the legacy cast during its final season. And the whole thing with the CGI'd scenes between Alicia and Kalinda was ridiculous. JM redefined the concept of prima donna.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Diane going to work high AF. Meh. I'm not finding it amusing anymore.

This could be a "just me" thing, but the way Diane/Christine laughs--the very sound of it--has always annoyed me, and this episode had a lot of it. Who laughs like that? Is that the way CB laughs in real life? Or is it her idea of how Diane would laugh? It's kind of how an aristocratic snob would laugh when they don't actually find something funny but want to signal that they do, yet it's clear we're meant to take this as Diane's genuine laugh. 

• Like 2

I truly loved this show, all the way through Season 5. But man, I'm curious if Christine Baranski ever looks back at badass Diane from TGW and compares her to Diane now, tripping during the workday, laughing like a maniac, levitating off a sofa, always in the midst of an existential crisis, never doing any actual lawyering...and wonders what.the.fuck.happened.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

so when Marissa was allowed to argue the motion for continuance, i didn't think anything of it.  junior associates do that frequently when the attorney in charge of the case has a conflict.  but suddenly she took over the case?  and really the client was fine with a just passed the bar attorney arguing her case at trial?  sure Marissa has more experience than most, but really?  and the plaintiff's testimony at trial takes 3 days?  really?  Still, great to see Eli Gold/Alan Cumming again.  Rahm Emanuel, lol.

Diane, still looking for something to help her deal with life, looks like she's just horny.  hubby needs to come home.

i'm just trying to wrap my head around these huge unending protests in Chicago.  i've never heard of anything quite like that in the US and it just seems so unrealistic.  of course, this show is nothing but.

i haven't seen the inside of a 'big law' firm over two years (since covid), but even before then, i never saw a firm have 'associate stations' like this show.  every firm i've seen provided associates with actual offices, even small ones.  there's no room for someone to spread out a file, not everything is on the computer.  i can't imagine trying to hold a telephone conversation with someone amongst such close proximity with so many other people.  

i find it interesting that the firm seems to have absolutely no qualms about Carmen representing very dangerous criminals.  she sure seems very good at it.

• Useful 1
On 10/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, Hanahope said:

i've never heard of anything quite like that in the US and it just seems so unrealistic.

1960s/70s Washington DC. Viet Nam war, civil rights, women's rights...We even had farmers who drove their tractors to DC, snarled traffic for days, tore up the National Mall with their big tires and they protested for quite a while. They were seeking parity during President Carter's administration.

• Love 1