Type keyword(s) to search

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

BlueSkies
  • Start Topic

I'll start some conversation on this one.  Personally I like it but think it's a bit overrated.  Three O Clock High or even Mannequin were teen movies that came out around the same time I thought were better.  Or at least had a more relatable lead character to me.

But for as many years as I've watched the Ferris film this has always always bothered me.  Even looking it up online or on YouTube clips I couldn't find anyone that ever get their interpretation of this scene.  Even if it's obvious. 

I'll ask in the spoiler below

Spoiler

Okay, why does Ferris's sister let him off the hook on the final scene?  She is obviously racing home speeding un purpose to beat Ferris and expose him to their parents.  She is saying throughout the film how unfair it is her parents favor and believe him over her.  And I think she has a legit gripe there as well.  

But yeah was it because she caught the principal on their property?

I mean I personally never understood the change of heart she had their in the final scene 

Jeannie was 100 percent in the right, but I interpreted her last minute save as taking Charlie Sheen’s advice not to really give a crap what her brother does anymore. Nobody was going to listen to her no matter what, so she ought to focus more on herself. The second she turned 18 she’d never have to see her jerkass family again.

The Take explains it better than me:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Jeannie was 100 percent in the right, but I interpreted her last minute save as taking Charlie Sheen’s advice not to really give a crap what her brother does anymore. Nobody was going to listen to her no matter what, so she ought to focus more on herself. The second she turned 18 she’d never have to see her jerkass family again.

The Take explains it better than me:

Thanks, had not seen that before.  

Spoiler

She still had her heart set on revenge though even after she kissed the Charlie Sheen character though if I remember right.  Speeding home after she saw Ferris running home.

I guess the principal was just that creepy.  

And as you say maybe she thought that was a final goodbye kind of thing 

• Love 1

Unpopular opinion: I didn't think it was particularly funny how the teacher kept calling 'Bueh-ler' for the truant Ferris and have never understood how THAT seemed to launch Ben Stein from obscurity to semi-stardom.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2022 at 11:47 PM, scarynikki12 said:

When Charlie asks Jeanie her name and she responds "it's Jean but people call me Shawna" is that a reference that was only relevant when the movie first came out? It was memorable in its randomness but I've never understood it.

No relevance that I know of and I remember when the movie was released.  The only thing I think it could refer to is Shawna is a feminine version of Sean, a variation of Sean is John and Jean is a variation of John.  

I always thought that she said Shauna because she thought that name sounded cooler than Jeanie. The look on her face and the way she said made the think that she didn't like her name much. I love that scene. I always get a kick out of how he pauses and glances down at his lap when she tells him to blow himself. 

As for the end, I always saw it as:

1. I can go after my sibling all I want, but no one else has the right to, and

2. She knew it was the principal who broke in and scared her to death and caused her to get picked up for a fake phone call because she found his wallet. She wasn't going to give him a win after that.

• Like 6
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

As for the end, I always saw it as:

1. I can go after my sibling all I want, but no one else has the right to, and

2. She knew it was the principal who broke in and scared her to death and caused her to get picked up for a fake phone call because she found his wallet. She wasn't going to give him a win after that.

I agree. I also saw it as being very in keeping with a theme of John Hughes; teenagers might fight with each other, but will come together and set aside their differences when faced with an adult enemy, especially a school authority. 

• Love 7

Given how things like this usually play out in real life, it's nice to imagine that Jeanie is likely happily married, a good mother, and successful in whatever career she chose to go into, while Ferris is likely still a slacker living at home with his still-enabling parents.

These are the kind of people who write to advice columns or Reddit whining about how they just don't understand "Why does our daughter hate us? Just because we constantly ignored her and blatantly favored her brother?" while SHE'S writing to them "My parents keep begging me for help with my loser brother. Why don't they understand that I want nothing to do with them?"

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, Hiyo said:

I imagine Ferris would be the kind of guy who would constantly be failing upward. Charming and with enough connections to make it through life quite well.

I agree. All the different groups/cliques at school liked him, so I can see that skill or ability helping him in adulthood. He can convince or talk anyone into almost anything. I'm picturing him doing well in some type of sales or advertising. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

But it would probably all be for selfish, insincere purposes.

In the movie, he is not exactly a grand humanitarian. He claims the day off is for Cameron's sake because he thinks his best friend really needs a day off, but I think the real reason is that he didn't feel like going to school that day and wanted one last grand skip-day adventure before he graduated. 

Ferris would be the best and worst person to be friends with. You would get to go on all these crazy adventures and be part of all these wild schemes, but he would also be using you for your connections and whatever you had to offer. 

• Love 1
On 10/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Ferris would be the best and worst person to be friends with. You would get to go on all these crazy adventures and be part of all these wild schemes, but he would also be using you for your connections and whatever you had to offer. 

Exactly. And when it's all over, he leaves you holding the bag. He wanted Cameron's father's car for them to use, but didn't care that the increased mileage on it would have inevitably tipped him off to what they'd been up to.

This isn't necessarily a bad movie, but IMO, it's one of those where as you as you get older, you realize that the youthful protagonist was kind of a jerk and that the supposedly villainous adults were actually right.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thats true though for much of pop culture (see Donna Martin graduates! as another example).

Also, it’s also possible Ferris could have matured and grown up as he got older. It happens.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

see Donna Martin graduates! as another example).

I was ALWAYS on the adults side with that one. The rules and the punishment for breaking them were clearly stated. Donna broke them and we're supposed to see it as unfair that she's receiving the punishment described and support the students in protesting. . .what, exactly?

Not that I don't vehemently support 1st Amendment rights, but they had no leg to stand on here.

Back to Ferris. I sincerely hope that he did get his act together, because that kind of superficial charm can take you only so far.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Exactly. And when it's all over, he leaves you holding the bag. He wanted Cameron's father's car for them to use, but didn't care that the increased mileage on it would have inevitably tipped him off to what they'd been up to.

This isn't necessarily a bad movie, but IMO, it's one of those where as you as you get older, you realize that the youthful protagonist was kind of a jerk and that the supposedly villainous adults were actually right.

I agree for the most part on your Ferris takes.

But the principal had a rather large ego as well

• Love 1

I always enjoyed this movie but def like some of John Hughes other movies more. I agree Ferris would have continued to do well in life. It has a fun soundtrack and I always liked when he starts singing at the Parade. His tips about what to fake and not too fake about being sick especially as a kid was very helpful. He was a selfish jerk in many ways as well. I will tell you what is really bad though the TV show they did based on the movie. Does anyone remember that? Many of the episodes are actually free on You Tube. Even the theme song is annoying. We got a young Jennifer Aniston though. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I will tell you what is really bad though the TV show they did based on the movie. Does anyone remember that? Many of the episodes are actually free on You Tube. Even the theme song is annoying. We got a young Jennifer Aniston though. 

I looked it up and ugh yeah. The theme song was a poor man’s version of Clarissa Explains It All. And the TV show version of Ferris was even more of a prick, especially to Jeannie.

1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

I looked it up and ugh yeah. The theme song was a poor man’s version of Clarissa Explains It All. And the TV show version of Ferris was even more of a prick, especially to Jeannie.

Facts. I remember this show and Parker Lewis Can't Lose starting around the same time. Honestly Parker Lewis felt more like a Ferris show. 

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Facts. I remember this show and Parker Lewis Can't Lose starting around the same time. Honestly Parker Lewis felt more like a Ferris show. 

For some inexplicable reason, one line from Parker Lewis sticks in head, and it's a break of the 4th wall, where he says, "Who does this guy think he is, Ferris Bueller?"

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Parker Lewis Can't Lose was a great show, back when FOX was an up and coming network. I wonder if it holds up over time

• Like 3
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

SYNCHRONIZE SWATCHES 

Parker Lewis was a far superior show because they didn't make it Ferris doing Ferris things every single day. 

Never saw Parker Lewis so I can’t attest. But I did notice that towards the end of the Ferris show, the writers tried to make Ferris slightly less of a jerkass. Some of his bad behavior starts to catch up with him; one episode has Sloan get fed up with his antics and dump him for the foreign exchange student Jeannie has a crush on (even though he inevitably dumps her for Jeannie), Ferris does own up to being a bad boyfriend in order to win her back.

Then in the final episode, Ferris and Cameron go out partying instead of doing their homework and Cameron’s car gets towed. Meanwhile Jeannie snuck out to be with her boyfriend and HER car gets towed. Hijinks ensue, blah blah and when they finally get home in the morning, their parents are ready to assume that Jeannie was out late up to no good…but Ferris (and I still can’t believe I’m writing this) takes the fall and tells them Jeannie only went out to pick them up because he and Cameron were out partying. Not only do their parents hug her and tell her she’s a good sister—moving the usually bitter Jeannie to tears—but Ferris gets grounded.

No, really. 

I mean, he doesn’t really care because the night was worth it, but still, it really was something to see him stick up for her after spending almost the whole series screwing her over! 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Now that I am thinking about it and looking things up it seems Ferris in the show may have been more of a jerk compared to movie Ferris. Glad to hear in the show he stood up for his sister. We don't get that moment in the movie.  Well Jeannie did get the car but yeah the parents seem way harder on her. 

• Like 1
On 10/7/2022 at 2:45 PM, Sarah 103 said:

In the movie, he is not exactly a grand humanitarian. He claims the day off is for Cameron's sake because he thinks his best friend really needs a day off,

Kind of? What Cameron ultimately gets out of it is the possibility of really having it out with his dad. Because it's Cameron who accidentally destroys the car, and Ferris offering to take the heat because the man "hates him already" is not that far apart from Jeannie later backing her brother up when he's been caught by Rooney. Cam spends most of the movie fretting about his life, but he also fully believed his father cared way more about the stupid car than about him, and in that sense he maybe gets more out of the excursion than Ferris does, being able at last to stand up for himself.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Kind of? What Cameron ultimately gets out of it is the possibility of really having it out with his dad. Because it's Cameron who accidentally destroys the car, and Ferris offering to take the heat because the man "hates him already" is not that far apart from Jeannie later backing her brother up when he's been caught by Rooney. Cam spends most of the movie fretting about his life, but he also fully believed his father cared way more about the stupid car than about him, and in that sense he maybe gets more out of the excursion than Ferris does, being able at last to stand up for himself.

My comment was more about Ferris's original plan for the day. At the start of the day, I don't think Ferris had anything more in mind than one final skip day, and his friend really needed to get out and do something fun/out of the ordinary on a school day and enjoy himself. 

• Like 1

Jennifer Grey was one of the best parts of the movie.. she had common sense and could suss out BS better then anyone else.  I loved that she ultimately saved Ferris at the end because in her mind 'only she could expose/hurt Ferris... no one else was allowed to'.  Classic sibling behavior LOL

• Like 8
On 9/23/2023 at 6:31 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Jennifer Grey was one of the best parts of the movie.. she had common sense and could suss out BS better then anyone else.  I loved that she ultimately saved Ferris at the end because in her mind 'only she could expose/hurt Ferris... no one else was allowed to'.  Classic sibling behavior LOL

I agree. She may hate or despise her older sibling, but he's still her brother and she is not going to side with an adult over her brother. Also, she gets the satisfaction of humiliating Ed Rooney and ruining his day/his plans to expose Ferris. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I agree. She may hate or despise her older sibling, but he's still her brother and she is not going to side with an adult over her brother. Also, she gets the satisfaction of humiliating Ed Rooney and ruining his day/his plans to expose Ferris. 

Exactly..  She got revenge on Rooney, while also having something to hold over Ferris' head.. 2 birds.. 1 stone.   

• Like 3

It’s a strange movie in that the characters who really experience growth and have a character arc are not Ferris.  Jeannie learns to stop resenting her brother so much and is much happier by the end of the film.  Cameron will finally face his greatest fear (his father screaming at him and Cameron finally yelling back) and hopefully somehow be less anxious going forward.  Rooney is fully defeated and I assume learns to never break into a student’s home again lol.

Ferris will skate through life until he runs into a problem he can’t charm his way out of, since he has no experience actually facing consequences.  Although he does seem sincere in his offer to take the blame for the car and probably has a new appreciation for his sister.

What I like about the "Jean but people call me Shawna" scene is that Jeannie seems to finally be thinking about her own identity apart from loathing her family, and how she wants to re-invent herself and have fun.  And Sheen's character saying "ok Jean" and smiling seems to signify that he likes her the way she is, she just needed a new perspective on her life.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Ferris will skate through life until he runs into a problem he can’t charm his way out of, since he has no experience actually facing consequences.

I don't know. Van Wilder seems to be College Ferris to me. I don't see what he'd run into that he could handle. 

This has always been one of my favourite movies.

What are people’s thoughts about the theory that the whole movie is Cameron’s dream and that Ferris doesn’t really exist? I mean, it’s impossible to do everything they did in one school day - watch a ball game, have a fancy lunch, go to a museum, hang out by the pool, watch a parade.