Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Auldbrass Glitters is Not Gold

• Start Topic

Ditto to everything about Shep and adding that naming his dog Little Craig was not-very-passive/aggressive. And why was Taylor the one who had to capture the lizard?? Kudos to her for doing with no real fuss, but pretty wimpy of Shep for standing back giving advice.

• Applause 3
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Ditto to everything about Shep and adding that naming his dog Little Craig was not-very-passive/aggressive. And why was Taylor the one who had to capture the lizard?? Kudos to her for doing with no real fuss, but pretty wimpy of Shep for standing back giving advice.

OMG yes to both! 

Naming his dog "Little Craig" is about the most passive aggressive thing ever.  He can order "Craig" around, control his environment, and treat "Craig" like the inferior animal he thinks actual Craig is.  That has always bothered me.

And yeah, I meant to mention about the lizard.  Not only did Taylor have to capture it, but Shep just stood there, giving her instructions.  Zero help whatsoever.  

Shep = Loser.  I don't care how much mailbox money you get.  You know what I'd be more impressed by?  A guy with zero mailbox money but who works under kitchen sinks as a plumber, or up in hot attics on A/C units.  This bloated, self-important loser has lost me.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10

I remember the old seasons where Shep would lecture Craig on how he’s acting when Shep was just as bad if not worse. Shep basically explained it away that he has money so he could. He’s a total douche who thinks he’s better then ppl because his family has been around the same place a while and has money. Big deal you have done nothing yourself Shep but get fucked up and spend your parents money.

Kathryn should just be off the show now. She barely shows up and doesn’t bring the drama like she did in the Thomas days.

• Love 9

I wonder if Shep isn't coached to go at Craig.

Not that he wouldn't on his own but they may give him suggestions about things to talk about.

Otherwise, in this episode, they go sit around the campfire and they're suppose to come up and say things, to keep the attention of the camera and viewers.

So they probably give him notes, rather than relying on him or any other cast member to do rants off the top of their heads.

They could also coach up Kathryn.

Thing is how many takes do scenes like this have before they decide they have footage they want to air.  If the director thinks for instance the conversation doesn't get heated enough, they may make them do it again and give directions on what to emphasize.

This is Bravo after all, it specializes in confrontations to drive these shows.

And the cast is only too happy to comply because they don't want to do tons of takes.  And the louder they are, the more air time they get.  If they're low key and not standing out for being cross with other cast, their footage gets cut and doesn't air.

I remember when Laguna Beach or The Hills first aired people were talking about how fake it was because they were doing so many takes with the long cast, get them to say the things they wanted before they finish scenes.

Not only the convos but the way they lit the scene, the blocking, etc.  This isn't handheld cameras following the cast of Real World from room to room in the first season when reality shows were a new experiment and they actually tried to be "real" rather than scripting and getting the cast to say the things they wanted.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 2
On 8/19/2022 at 5:15 PM, ProudMary said:

This is awful to say and I'm definitely coming to you from the shallow end of the pool with this, which I try very hard not to do, but Austen is also not a good looking man. In fact, he is odd looking, as are others in his family, specifically his mother and sister. Their father is normal looking, but I honestly think there's some weird gene on Austen's maternal side. 

Maybe he’s a Habsburg? 

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 1

I agree about Austen and fam. Austen’s mom does pull herself together very well, and is very well spoken. She does well with what she’s got. Austen’s sister manages to do ok with the looks she’s been given, IMO, because she wears minimal makeup and low key hair, so nothing is accentuated. Austen is just ugh. I wanna kick his teeth in.

• Love 2

Austen is also a huge douchebag so that makes him even worse. If he wasn’t tall I don’t think he would get as many women as he does. I remember the show trying to act like he was some attractive guy when he first came on lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Marley said:

Austen is also a huge douchebag so that makes him even worse. If he wasn’t tall I don’t think he would get as many women as he does. I remember the show trying to act like he was some attractive guy when he first came on lol.

He looks like the offspring of Dick Durbin and Yogi Bear but somehow he believes that he is sexy.

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:
11 hours ago, Marley said:

He looks like the offspring of Dick Durbin and Yogi Bear but somehow he believes that he is sexy.

I know this is a terrible thing to say about the young women in Charleston but as long as he appears to have money (influence, power, etc.) he'll continue to have the girls flocking around him.  Short of him murdering someone there is nothing that's going to change that....It's how a low life like Shep will continue to be so popular as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I remember Shep's crazy dating show he did.  It was quite obvious that when Shep leaves SC that he does not have the same appeal to women.  He especially seems out of place in LA or NYC.  For that reason he will stick around Charleston where he can puff out his chest and act like he thinks he is better than everyone.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

I remember Shep's crazy dating show he did.  It was quite obvious that when Shep leaves SC that he does not have the same appeal to women.  He especially seems out of place in LA or NYC.  For that reason he will stick around Charleston where he can puff out his chest and act like he thinks he is better than everyone.  

Remember is S2 or S3 when Whitney took Shep and the other guys out to a party in LA and Whitney joked about how Shep’s “schtick” just didn’t work on LA gals like it did on Southern gals? It was kinda funny to witness how his corny flirting style was met with such instant derision in a much bigger and more cosmopolitan city: smart women don’t fall for that cheesy fake humble “awww shucks” vibe Shep still desperately clings to around women. 

• Like 5
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Remember is S2 or S3 when Whitney took Shep and the other guys out to a party in LA and Whitney joked about how Shep’s “schtick” just didn’t work on LA gals like it did on Southern gals? It was kinda funny to witness how his corny flirting style was met with such instant derision in a much bigger and more cosmopolitan city: smart women don’t fall for that cheesy fake humble “awww shucks” vibe Shep still desperately clings to around women. 

Yes- that whole ep was good.  Remember Whits guitar playing to his “girlfriend!” 

Shep should have left this show.  I was his #1 fan early on but man, not so much now.  He’s declined in all aspects.  And he hasn’t done anything to my knowledge.  He had a bar- is that still around?  He shits on Craig who has a store and I believe gig on HSN as well as a law degree. He’s a Vandy grad and does Southern Charm.  He needs to do something real- I think all this idle time has made him angry and yes….jealous.  Until he stops thinking he’s the smartest person in the room it will never get better.

I fault Whit more than Naomie if that is true.  If there is legit attraction- great- but my word, like Shep, Naomie has tumbled for me.  She seems so desperate.  Latex to the bonfire?  Oh wow- you’re here Craig!? I had no idea….

SC was must see tv but I’m having a hard time reconciling they did a dog wedding.  And push Austen.  Remember when they used to say when Clinton entered a room he stole the show?  That didn’t translate to me who had never seen him in person but does Austen have some magnetism in person?  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Or like the Watch What Crappens guys says when imitating him, "GAAAARSHHHH!"

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 6
21 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I don't care how much mailbox money you get.  You know what I'd be more impressed by?  A guy with zero mailbox money but who works under kitchen sinks as a plumber, or up in hot attics on A/C units. 

I'd be even more impressed by a guy who has mailbox money and still works under kitchen sinks as a plumber or up in hot attics on AC units anyway.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Shep = Loser.  I don't care how much mailbox money you get.  You know what I'd be more impressed by?  A guy with zero mailbox money but who works under kitchen sinks as a plumber, or up in hot attics on A/C units.  This bloated, self-important loser has lost me.

Last straw for me: Taylor was on WWHL and said Little Craig lives with Sheps parents!  Apparently Shep uses him for filming purposes. What a complete asshole! 

• Mind Blown 12
  • Useful 1
39 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Last straw for me: Taylor was on WWHL and said Little Craig lives with Sheps parents!  Apparently Shep uses him for filming purposes. What a complete asshole! 

Getting the dog may have been a producer's idea as well as naming him Little Craig.

And while it is a shitty thing to do, maybe the dog is better off with the parents.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought Taylor was the main caregiver so when they broke up he unloaded the dog on the parents.   That would have been after filming was completed for the season.

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Taylor was on WWHL and said Little Craig lives with Sheps parents! 

I remember a few seasons ago when Shep told his mother he wanted to get a dog and she strongly suggested he not because she had to take the last one he had to have but never took care of...Shep is sort of a loser but I thought he was finally able to care for something other than his self but I guess not.

• Sad 2
  • Love 5

I think Craig’s friendship with Shep ran its course a long time ago and but for the show, I don’t think they even like each other.  The balance of power in that relationship is so uneven it cannot work.  Shep  uses Craig like a toy similar to how a cat plays with a mouse until it dies.  I think Craig once idolized Shep but he doesn’t anymore so putting up with his abuse is no longer tolerable.  If Shep treats all his “friends” this way, he doesn’t really have any.  He has lackeys, sycophants and buddies who enjoy his social connections.  

Naming the dog after Craig is proof of how Shep values this friendship.  It’s insulting and Shep doesn’t care because he doesn’t show respect to anyone.  Look at how he engages at parties, diving into the food.  He doesn’t care what anyone thinks and doesn’t have to. 

• Applause 10
  • Love 1

From "US" online discussing Whitney and Naomie: "The pair’s chemistry became even more apparent during the crew’s trip to Yemassee, South Carolina, which is when Craig learned about the fling. 'That stinks. [To] go from me to Whitney,' he told Austen, 35, after hearing about the hookup."  (Patricia will NOT like that!)

WHO says stuff like that?  Craig actually  thinks that Naomie's dating Whitney is stooping low?  I haven't liked Craig since his old days lying to everyone (especially his parents) about finishing law school, etc.  He's a poser who lucked into some sort of bidness that used his sewing hobby.  He probably wouldn't have progressed without WHITNEY'S MOTHER, her talent and her connections. Whitney has producer credits and family background/money that will last a long, long time.  We don't get to know much about Whitney, but he's certainly a more redeemable TV character than Craigy.  Craig cannot live up to the ego he portrays.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

From "US" online discussing Whitney and Naomie: "The pair’s chemistry became even more apparent during the crew’s trip to Yemassee, South Carolina, which is when Craig learned about the fling. 'That stinks. [To] go from me to Whitney,' he told Austen, 35, after hearing about the hookup."  (Patricia will NOT like that!)

WHO says stuff like that?  Craig actually  thinks that Naomie's dating Whitney is stooping low?  I haven't liked Craig since his old days lying to everyone (especially his parents) about finishing law school, etc.  He's a poser who lucked into some sort of bidness that used his sewing hobby.  He probably wouldn't have progressed without WHITNEY'S MOTHER, her talent and her connections. Whitney has producer credits and family background/money that will last a long, long time.  We don't get to know much about Whitney, but he's certainly a more redeemable TV character than Craigy.  Craig cannot live up to the ego he portrays.

Craig was referring to Naomie's decision to pursue one of his close friends. He wasn't disparaging Whitney as a man. 

Now, in a previous season, Patricia did disparage Craig's pillows, referring to them as pedestrian vs. her high-brow line of dog prints (snerk). She in no way assisted his business endeavors which now also includes partnership in a law firm bearing his name, a book, and his line being carried by HomeGoods, Wayfair, etc.

Finally, Whitney is a better person simply because he was born into money versus than having to hustle & get an education?  OK, have you met Shep?  He thinks he's the bee's knees for that reason alone. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Craig was referring to Naomie's decision to pursue one of his close friends. He wasn't disparaging Whitney as a man. 

We just see things differently...as I didn't see Naomie "pursue" Whitney.  I think Craig and his ego believe he's FAR ABOVE Whitney as someone a female would want to date.  I saw him as "disparaging."  He probably thinks he's far above anyone Naomie would want.

4 hours ago, snarts said:

Now, in a previous season, Patricia did disparage Craig's pillows, referring to them as pedestrian vs. her high-brow line of dog prints (snerk). She in no way assisted his business endeavors....

Although she did criticize his pillows, I think she gave Craig ideas about creating/locating patterns that were more sophisticated--not the type of thing he started with.  She may even have selected some fabrics or vendors for him.  They both sell on HSN.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I felt the same way.  The way he insults Whitney is just as bad as the disrespect from Shep.   Craig is no better. He has participated in snide ridicule of Whitney on several occasions.  He's a hypocrite. 

Edited by tranquilidade
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, aghst said:

It was whether Whitney was good enough?

It was The Word According to Craig.  Whitney is one of the Southern Charm executive producers, so Craig had better watch it; he's not invincible.  He's definitely not charming...especially not "southern."

It's also interesting to watch Craig when current GF Paige recites her Commandments (again).  His mouth may be saying, "Yes, Dear," but his darting eyes and face are full of WTF's.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, tranquilidade said:

The way he insults Whitney is just as bad as the disrespect from Shep.   Craig is no better. He has participated in snide ridicule of Whitney on several occasions.  He's a hypocrite. 

This is about Craig.  Does he forget that Patricia is Whitney's protective mother--and she does seem to have cachet in various Charleston society cliques?  Watch your step Craigy.  If Patricia had anything with his introduction to HSN (pillow sales), she might be influencial in having him terminated.

• Love 2