Type keyword(s) to search

Grease (1978)

AgathaC
  • Start Topic

One of the most popular movie musicals of all time that has, for a very sad reason, popped back into my consciousness.

I came to the party late on this one (didn’t see it until I was 15, not sure how I missed it at elementary school slumber parties) so it doesn’t have the same place in my heart as The Music Man or the works of Julie Andrews. It’s problematic in a number of ways. But it’s just so damned fun and energetic, I can’t help but like it. I can even overlook the fact that Dinah Manoff is the only main cast member close to the right age…

Anyway, I thought it was time to discuss this classic in all its messy glory.

• Love 7

I loved this movie! I watched it when it came out--as part of a birthday party I'd gone to.

I loved the music, the acting--John Travolta was the only one I'd recognized as Vinny from Welcome Back, Kotter. 

This is a movie I can watch over and over again. I remember, I think it was the 25th anniversary and re-released in theatres--not only was I bopping and singing to the songs/music, so were the tweens that were in the theatre.

So many familiar faces now when I watch as an adult.

I'm so slammed with work this week, but will definitely be watching this movie over the weekend.

• Love 8

I remember my mom and her friend taking me and her friend's two daughters to see it.  They had no idea what it was about, just that it had fun music and was set in the 1950s. I was the oldest, at age 9, and I learned later, that while they didn't take us home, they were both squirming in their seats, whispering to each other "Dear God, what were we thinking....?" and that they hoped most of it would go over our heads.

I loved it.  I did get the album for Christmas and I wore it out.  To this day, I can't listen to "Hand Jive" without doing it a couple of times and "You're the One That I Want" always gets turned up when it comes on the radio.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

To this day, I can't listen to "Hand Jive" without doing it a couple of times and "You're the One That I Want" always gets turned up when it comes on the radio.

Are you me? Because I do the same thing! Though I've never mastered the hand jive!

• Love 5

Yes, it was high time this had its own thread.

I saw it with my grandma when it was re-released in 1998 (I think). Yes, some stuff went over my head, but it was a blast. We actually did it for my freshman high school musical, and I’m sorry to say it was nowhere near as good as the movie. Lots of censoring…

Anyway, like I’ve said in other threads, I think Sandy gets way too much crap for her makeover at the end while Danny doesn’t get enough credit for his efforts to change. The sequence of him trying out for all sports teams was hilarious. 

While all the gang had plenty of jerkass moments, you could still sense all the underlying affection they had for each other underneath it all, and I’m not just talking about the couples: Danny and Kenickie’s bond, Frenchy reaching out to Sandy, Sandy’s general kindness to everyone, and even Rizzo softening towards Sandy at the end. I got no such feeling from the sequel: THOSE T-Birds were all stupid jerks and their Pink Ladies all seemed dumber for being around them despite all their asinine antics.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I loved this movie! I watched it when it came out--as part of a birthday party I'd gone to.

Haha, same! As a tween, I had no idea these people were in their 30s. That's what teenagers look like. Lol. Also, so many things in that movie flew right over my head.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is a movie I can watch over and over again. I remember, I think it was the 25th anniversary and re-released in theatres--not only was I bopping and singing to the songs/music, so were the tweens that were in the theatre.

I took my niece for the 25th anniversary, she was so into this movie. It's cool that the same movie was important to both of us even though we are 19 years apart.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, festivus said:

Also, so many things in that movie flew right over my head.

I had NO IDEA what Danny was singing about or Kenickie was asking about in "Summer Nights" but no problem getting what Sandy was singing! 😂

• Like 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

While all the gang had plenty of jerkass moments, you could still sense all the underlying affection they had for each other underneath it all, and I’m not just talking about the couples: Danny and Kenickie’s bond, Frenchy reaching out to Sandy, Sandy’s general kindness to everyone, and even Rizzo softening towards Sandy at the end. I got no such feeling from the sequel: THOSE T-Birds were all stupid jerks and their Pink Ladies all seemed dumber for being around them despite all their asinine antics.  

As much as I loved it, I haven't seen it in years and have forgotten a few things.  Remind me, did Kenickie offer to marry Rizzo?

• Love 1

I was a kid the first time I saw it, and it was on one of the big three channels so a bunch of stuff was censored. They would have flew over my head anyway. Imagine my shock later. LOL

I don't care how old Stockard Channing was, nobody is a better Rizzo. The way she sang and acted out the Sandra Dee song was perfect.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I had NO IDEA what Danny was singing about or Kenickie was asking about in "Summer Nights" but no problem getting what Sandy was singing! 😂

I remember watching this movie with my mom when I was a kid, and she basically summed up this scene for me as, "She's telling the truth, he's making stuff up." :p. That made it pretty simple and easy to understand for me, even if I didn't get the specific details of it all, LOL. 

But yeah, I too missed a lot of the innuendos and dirtier jokes when I was younger. If I did ask what something meant, my mom would just explain it to me in an age-appropriate way :D. 

Add me to the list of those who like this movie. Like I said, my mom's watched this movie a lot of times, and I've grown up watching it with her. And I remember, when I was in school, there was a period there where every single school dance seemed to feature the medley of songs from this movie, and all us kids would sing and dance along throughout :D. 

10 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't care how old Stockard Channing was, nobody is a better Rizzo. The way she sang and acted out the Sandra Dee song was perfect.

Agreed. 

I always liked the whole sleepover scene in that movie. Awkwardness of them making fun of Sandy aside, I like the way the girls in general lightheartedly tease each other and gush over their crushes and all that. It really felt like a true girls' night :). 

I also remember liking that diner where they all hung out - I thought the malts looked really yummy :p. 

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

As much as I loved it, I haven't seen it in years and have forgotten a few things.  Remind me, did Kenickie offer to marry Rizzo?

Yes. When she had a pregnancy scare. He said he was willing. But she turned him down and said it was someone else’s mistake. That was a rough scene. But when it turned out to be a false alarm, he proposed again and she accepted.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

Grease is my favorite movie of all time even though I was entirely too young to be singing the entire soundtrack at seven years old. Like most everyone in this thread I didn't understand half of the innuendo or the songs and when I asked my mom about it years later she just shrugged and was like "Of course I bought the CD for you, you loved the movie and the songs and it's not like you knew what any of it meant!"

In the sleepover scene when Rizzo was singing Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee about how "I won't go to bed 'til I'm legally wed," seven-year-old me thought, man, she's going to be really tired. 

• LOL 12

I liked it but I wish the movie  had had more Eve Arden (as Principal McGee  whose line delivery was priceless) as well as Dody Goodman, Alice Ghostley and Sid Caesar! I grant that I  have a soft spot for   old school comedians and sitcom stars but still. . .

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I liked it but I wish the movie  had had more Eve Arden (as Principal McGee  whose line delivery was priceless) as well as Dody Goodman, Alice Ghostley and Sid Caesar! I grant that I  have a soft spot for   old school comedians and sitcom stars but still. . .

It was about the teens, not the teachers. That's why we didn't see much of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I also want to echo how good Stockard was as Rizzo. She could have played her as a complete bitch, but she managed to display a believable soft side that made her likable. And she sang “There Are Worse Things” was sung with such defiant vulnerability.

I also noticed that when Sandy walks in on the end of “Sandra Dee,” her hurt-not-angry “You were making fun of me?”, Rizzo actually looks ashamed of herself. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8
36 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I also want to echo how good Stockard was as Rizzo. She could have played her as a complete bitch, but she managed to display a believable soft side that made her likable. And she sang “There Are Worse Things” was sung with such defiant vulnerability.

I also noticed that when Sandy walks in on the end of “Sandra Dee,” her hurt-not-angry “You we’re making fun of me?”, Rizzo actually looks ashamed of herself. 

Yes. You said it better than I could. She had the right amount of snark, but not totally mean. Her Rizzo will respect you if you stand up for yourself.

18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree with this too. You can feel the friendship and how they have each other's backs in the 1st Grease. Rizzo took a while to warm up to Sandy, but the others try to be kind from the start. One of my favorite scenes is Marty showing Sandy how to drop her cigarette at the end when Sandy didn't know what to do when Danny dramatically fell to the ground.

I don't feel the bond in the 2nd. The characters were all too scattered; no togetherness. I like a few of the songs though and the cast acted well with what they were given.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't feel the bond in the 2nd. The characters were all too scattered; no togetherness. I like a few of the songs though and the cast acted well with what they were given.

Side note: Michelle Pfeiffer is so embarrassed by her role in the sequel that she refuses to talk about it. It was her first real starring role before she was cast in Scarface, but she mostly won't answer questions about it in present day interviews.

• LOL 5
25 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Side note: Michelle Pfeiffer is so embarrassed by her role in the sequel that she refuses to talk about it. It was her first real starring role before she was cast in Scarface, but she mostly won't answer questions about it in present day interviews.

The movie was bad but she was good and made it watchable. I think I saw an interview she said her daughter watched it during a slumber party and her friends love it (not 100% sure). But yeah, she doesn't really talk about it. 

I think after all these years, she should embrace the cheesiness. She has nothing to be embarrassed about as the best thing in the movie. I love her songs and still watch her parts of the movie! But I respect her right to feel how she feels.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

I found this video from The Take to be quite interesting:

Opinion is always going to be split on the ending, but I don’t think it’s fair to write it off as “Sandy making herself a slut.” Especially not when you think of all the times a girl was accused of “asking for it” because of what she was wearing. I’m just saying.

Besides, the outfit wasn’t slutty—at least not by today’s standards.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
On 8/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was about the teens, not the teachers. That's why we didn't see much of them.

Ah, but let's not forget that the original Broadway show premiered in 1971 and this movie was released in 1978. IOW, this production was not about contemporary 1970's  teens but ostensibly was supposed to be for adults who had BEEN  1950's teens to wax nostalgic about. Of course, since the songs and music were catchy, the characters were appealing AND the issues brought up somewhat timeless, this has wound up appealing for decades to folks born long before and after  the movie's timeline.

Hence, since a good part of the audience had become (and/or has since become) adults having to deal with teens' hijinks, I don't think that spending some more time with the school staff would have hurt (and, in fact, IMO would have made it even better)! And, since clean comedy is timeless, having old school comedians shine adds to the entertainment factor! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Ah, but let's not forget that the original Broadway show premiered in 1971 and this movie was released in 1978. IOW, this production was not about contemporary 1970's  teens but ostensibly was supposed to be for adults who had BEEN  1950's teens to wax nostalgic about. Of course, since the songs and music were catchy, the characters were appealing AND the issues brought up somewhat timeless, this has wound up appealing for decades to folks born long before and after  the movie's timeline.

Hence, since a good part of the audience had become (and/or has since become) adults having to deal with teens' hijinks, I don't think that spending some more time with the school staff would have hurt (and, in fact, IMO would have made it even better)! And, since clean comedy is timeless, having old school comedians shine adds to the entertainment fact! 

But we're not talking about the original musical, but about the movie--and the movie was focused on the teen characters. That's why more focus wasn't on the teachers, coaches, principal. It was about Danny, Sandy, Rizzo, Kenickie, and the gang.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I used to babysit a girl when she was 8 years old who wanted to watch Grease every time I sat for her. And I sat for her every Friday and Saturday night for over a year! I knew not only every song but every line of dialogue too. The little girl didn't like me to recite with the movie though, because she liked the movie too much as is. Over 30 years later, I still know most of it by heart.

• Love 5

And something else that showed Danny had moved on from the T-Birds-the summer before when he and Sandy fell in love:

When they met up again the following school year. Danny had depth-but he also had a “rep” he felt he needed to uphold. You could see how bad he felt after acting all “Baby, it’s cool…rockin’ and rollin’”  at Homecoming.  And that it was purely a revenge move on Rizzo’s part because he’d dumped her. Until he realized his “guys” were looking at him like he’d turned into someone else, you saw the utter delight at seeing Sandy again.

And when he finally ran Track, stumbled over when he saw Sandy ruffling Lorenzo Lamas’s hair—she got him to talk to her again-and there was none of the T-Bird in that conversation, where he apologized. And then ran off together.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And something else that showed Danny had moved on from the T-Birds-the summer before when he and Sandy fell in love:

When they met up again the following school year. Danny had depth-but he also had a “rep” he felt he needed to uphold. You could see how bad he felt after acting all “Baby, it’s cool…rockin’ and rollin’”  at Homecoming.  And that it was purely a revenge move on Rizzo’s part because he’d dumped her. Until he realized his “guys” were looking at him like he’d turned into someone else, you saw the utter delight at seeing Sandy again.

And when he finally ran Track, stumbled over when he saw Sandy ruffling Lorenzo Lamas’s hair—she got him to talk to her again-and there was none of the T-Bird in that conversation, where he apologized. And then ran off together.

Also when he and Sandy were on that diner date, he was trying to slip past the gang unnoticed: yeah, he was embarrassed, but he genuinely wanted to be alone with her — and his misgiving wound up being 100 percent justified when Kenickie showed up (practically belching in their faces as a gag) and then the whole gang basically joined their table uninvited. Sandy was clearly unbothered because she was sweet like that, but you could tell he was annoyed. Points to him for putting his foot down and getting Sandy out of there once Rizzo started snarking about her doing “the Kangaroo bop.”

And they were doing fine at the dance until that one jerk ruined their routine by grabbing Sandy and then stupid Cha-Cha cut in…

So while Danny is definitely flawed, he’s not really the worst guy ever. Although there is that part in the drive-in 😳 😬 

• Love 8

Disclaimer - I've always been a "but Danny changed too!" person and could only wish I could have worn Sandy's leather outfit.   I always liked that Danny told the guys that they mean a lot to him but so does Sandy and he was going to do whatever it took and that the guys couldn't play follow the leader their whole lives.  A popular but less confident "teen" would have wanted the guys following his lead forever.

Sandy's makeover gets more attention and criticism because it's more dramatic.  Danny drops the sweater and looks exactly the same.  Sandy drops the jacket and still looks completely different.

I found this video from The Take to be quite interesting:

That was interesting and articulated some good points - namely, that Sandy looks confident and happy with her transformation.  The only thing she was unsure of was what to do with the cig, lol, which leads to a cute shot with Marty showing her to toss it.  The words of the song are very definite - "you better shape up, you better understand".    She acts confident and assertive through the song, with Danny following her, trying to catch up.  

Pre-teen me was all "true love"; adult me is "Sandy loses her virginity to Danny, they spend a happy year together, they break up and she goes off to college"  LOL.   

Another thing that I liked is that the video shows the Danny/Kenickie friendship.   Danny is a sensitive person; he is (supposed to be) a teen so is holding himself back with the need to be cool, which accounts for almost all of his dick behavior.  Kenickie as well.  They both show their love for their girlfriends by the end.

So I don't care, I grew up with it, I love it and was born to hand jive.  Not kidding, I LOVE the hand jive (dirty!)

11 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

stupid Cha-Cha cut in…

My friend calls her "40 year old Cha-Cha", lol .  Annette Charles could dance though!  I looked her up and she died too young (63) as did Jeff Conaway (60).

So let's celebrate the late Olivia Newton-John.  Tell me about it, stud.  Also, John Travolta could swing those hips!

• Applause 4
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, raven said:

Disclaimer - I've always been a "but Danny changed too!" person and could only wish I could have worn Sandy's leather outfit.   I always liked that Danny told the guys that they mean a lot to him but so does Sandy and he was going to do whatever it took and that the guys couldn't play follow the leader their whole lives.  A popular but less confident "teen" would have wanted the guys following his lead forever.

Sandy's makeover gets more attention and criticism because it's more dramatic.  Danny drops the sweater and looks exactly the same.  Sandy drops the jacket and still looks completely different.

That was interesting and articulated some good points - namely, that Sandy looks confident and happy with her transformation.  The only thing she was unsure of was what to do with the cig, lol, which leads to a cute shot with Marty showing her to toss it.  The words of the song are very definite - "you better shape up, you better understand".    She acts confident and assertive through the song, with Danny following her, trying to catch up.  

<snip>

So let's celebrate the late Olivia Newton-John.  Tell me about it, stud.  Also, John Travolta could swing those hips!

GURRRL, I’ve been watching this and ”We Go Together” ALL WEEK!

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

GURRRL, I’ve been watching this and ”We Go Together” ALL WEEK!

Same! Also “Greased Lightning” because it made me remember when we did the show in high school, and during that number us girls were singing along and doing the moves backstage.

On a side note, our production was the old (pre-movie) stage show, and most of us agreed the movie was better. We didn’t get to do the GOOD stuff like “You’re the One that I Want” and “Sandy”. Of course it’s only NOW that the new productions work them in. 😤

• Love 4
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And that it was purely a revenge move on Rizzo’s part because he’d dumped her

I had forgotten that part, that Rizzo's the one who bring Sandy over to where Danny and the other T Birds are hanging out, and when Sandy gets upset and leaves, Rizzo's standing there chewing her gum with an expression that's like, "Teach you to be a jackass towards me...."

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Good point. I hate that “Greased Lightning” is all chopped up. 

I was in shock the first time I heard the uncensored version. I couldn't afford the record back in the day so I thought the chopped up version was it.

Anyone see the episode of Head of the Class when they did Grease as a school play? I even like when a sitcom showcase great songs. I saw a rerun as an adult and realized John Cameron Mitchell was in that episode playing a snobby student. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, raven said:

My friend calls her "40 year old Cha-Cha", lol .  Annette Charles could dance though!  I looked her up and she died too young (63) as did Jeff Conaway (60).

Olivia Newton John managed to live through 5 years of stage 4 cancer and reach a relatively normal lifespan of 73. I'm honestly amazed that she can't be classified as an "untimely passing" given that she could have gone out in her early 40's. What a fight.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8

BTW, in Spanish the direct translation for grease is grasa  which means 'fat'.

I suppose the distributors didn't think that a movie that called itself 'fat' would have been appealing. Hence, in Mexico the title  for Grease became  Vaselina and in Spain ,Latin America (and Italy) it became Brillantina .

• Love 5

I do not like the movie and strongly prefer the original broadway stage production. Instead of my usual rant about why I think the original broadway stage production is so much better than the movie, in honor of/in memory of Olivia Newton John, I am going to say something positive about the movie. Seeing clips of her sing "Hopeless Devoted To You" on the news multiple times made me realize something. The song reminds me of "Crazy" by Patsy Cline and I could totally imagine Patsy Cline doing a version of that song.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Seeing clips of her sing "Hopeless Devoted To You" on the news multiple times made me realize something. The song reminds me of "Crazy" by Patsy Cline and I could totally imagine Patsy Cline doing a version of that song.

Hello, thing I didn't know I wanted to hear until now. You're right, she would nail that song. Shame we'll never get the opportunity to hear that :/. 

• Sad 2
  • Love 4
On 8/12/2022 at 9:25 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Good point. I hate that “Greased Lightning” is all chopped up. 

I've heard it as tabloid lore, but is it the truth that it was during filming of that scene where Jeff Conaway (Kenicke) was injured, that ultimately resulted in him taking painkillers for the pain, he ended up getting addicted, and ultimately the addiction carried through the rest of his life and led to his death?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
On 8/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Also when he and Sandy were on that diner date, he was trying to slip past the gang unnoticed: yeah, he was embarrassed, but he genuinely wanted to be alone with her — and his misgiving wound up being 100 percent justified when Kenickie showed up (practically belching in their faces as a gag) and then the whole gang basically joined their table uninvited. Sandy was clearly unbothered because she was sweet like that, but you could tell he was annoyed. Points to him for putting his foot down and getting Sandy out of there once Rizzo started snarking about her doing “the Kangaroo bop.”

And they were doing fine at the dance until that one jerk ruined their routine by grabbing Sandy and then stupid Cha-Cha cut in…

So while Danny is definitely flawed, he’s not really the worst guy ever. Although there is that part in the drive-in 😳 😬 

In my second rewatch in as many days, I am 99% sure it was Sonny that grabbed Sandy to take her away from Danny at the dance-off. Why, I don't know; none of the Pink Ladies and T-Birds liked Cha-Cha or the Scorps' leader. 

• Useful 2
35 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

In my second rewatch in as many days, I am 99% sure it was Sonny that grabbed Sandy to take her away from Danny at the dance-off. Why, I don't know; none of the Pink Ladies and T-Birds liked Cha-Cha or the Scorps' leader. 

Yup, it was Sonny, the little shit. I don’t think he was conspiring with Cha-Cha, he was just drunk and being an ass, and Cha-Cha just seized the opportunity to cut in.

I really don’t get why Rizzo went to the dance with the Scorpion guy after he made that crack about her when he crashed into Kenickie’s car—that both she and the car were worth 30 cents. Ugh. I get that she was just doing it to get back at Kenickie but still.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yup, it was Sonny, the little shit. I don’t think he was conspiring with Cha-Cha, he was just drunk and being an ass, and Cha-Cha just seized the opportunity to cut in.

I really don’t get why Rizzo went to the dance with the Scorpion guy after he made that crack about her when he crashed into Kenickie’s car—that both she and the car were worth 30 cents. Ugh. I get that she was just doing it to get back at Kenickie but still.

I figured it was to get back at Kenicke; same reason Kenicke and Cha-Cha apparently went together? (That pairing didn't make sense unless it was mostly from Cha-Cha's end; she and Rizzo didn't have ongoing beef the way the guys did)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 4

When the movie came out, I said, “They’re so ooooold!!!”

When the 20th anniversary version was released, I cried: “They were sooooo young!!!”

And I watched the Freeform marathon, and wept all the way through the last ten minutes.  Both times.  “Your Danny; Your John”.  Indeed!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, voiceover said:

And I watched the Freeform marathon, and wept all the way through the last ten minutes.  Both times.  “Your Danny; Your John”.  Indeed!

I caught some of the movie during its marathon on Saturday, and the part where Danny and Sandy's car takes off for the sky at the end, and Sandy turns to wave goodbye to everyone...that actually got me a little choked up. 

• Love 7

UGH. My frickin' frackin' sciatica decided to return and made my weekend miserable. Then on top of that, it seems I've inherited me mum's insomnia, so add that into the mix, and I wasn't up to watching this weekend, and I want to be AWAKE and engaged when watching.

What is absolutely hilarious is how much I got the lyrics to "We Go Together" and even "You're the One That I Want" even when I was a teen, WRONG. And I saw this when it came out, when I was 8.

So Perry (that would be Raymond Burr's Perry Mason, the ONLY PERRY MASON) had my attention as I lay in agony and slept fitfully.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
On 8/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, raven said:

Pre-teen me was all "true love"; adult me is "Sandy loses her virginity to Danny, they spend a happy year together, they break up and she goes off to college"  LOL. 

Aside from the 'losing her virginity' bit which already happened, that's how long I assumed the Rizzo/Kenicke relationship lasted, lol. They spent the summer after senior year together, split up, and then did the "off again/on again' rollercoaster for a few years. What side they ended up on, off again or on again, I've debated about. Yes, I'm such a dork about this movie that I've debated about the various Pink Lady and T-Bird relationships :D.

Side note: did Rizzo sleep with the Scorpio leader or any other guy (when she told Kenicke the potential baby was 'someone else's mistake') or did she say that to save face with Kenicke? As an adult I'm leaning more towards the latter, especially the more I really listen to and understand the words of There Are Worst Things I Could Do.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Side note: did Rizzo sleep with the Scorpio leader or any other guy (when she told Kenicke the potential baby was 'someone else's mistake') or did she say that to save face with Kenicke? As an adult I'm leaning more towards the latter, especially the more I really listen to and understand the words of There Are Worst Things I Could Do.

I definitely interpreted that as her just trying to save face with Kenicke. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 8/9/2022 at 5:02 PM, Annber03 said:

I remember watching this movie with my mom when I was a kid, and she basically summed up this scene for me as, "She's telling the truth, he's making stuff up." :p. That made it pretty simple and easy to understand for me, even if I didn't get the specific details of it all, LOL. 

That could be true, but I think they were probably both exaggerating in their own ways. They didn't get as down and dirty as Danny wanted the boys to think, but they probably weren't quite as sweet and innocent as Sandy wanted the girls to think. 

When I was a kid in the 80s, my mom found the 8-track(!) of this soundtrack in a clearance bin, and since our family stereo still had an 8-track, she bought it and I played it endlessly, memorizing every single song, even the lesser ones (since 8-tracks had no rewind!). "It's wilting...the quilting...on my Maidenfoooorm..." Hee.

• Love 3