Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E04: Eviction #1

• Start Topic

(edited)

While I think I would be terrible at physical reality competitions, I feel like I could do BB because that is basically what I've done for the past 3 years.  Derek F. living.  LOL.  An eye mask would help with the light.  Would they let me bring a noise machine?  Probably not.  Although, it's pretty small, it's the size of like a CD and I plug it into a wall.  Now, the heat, that would be a real issue.  There's only so much clothes you can take off, and I need the A/C.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The thing is . . . I think the show deliberately looks for people like this. People who are sort of right on the edge because they think they'll cause a lot of drama in the house, and that's exactly what they want. Year after year, season after season, we get the inevitable posters asking "how did so-and-so pass the psych evaluation?" Like they actually believe there's such a thing on this show. If there is one, clearly it's designed to weed out the sane people.

Thank-you for this. CBS wants kooks and weirdos who cause drama and then they turned on Paloma. I think Paloma was giving them what she thought they wanted. She was kooky but no more cray cray than any other people walking around on these reality shows. She was not dangerous to herself or anybody else. I liked her, she made the show more interesting and fun. Bland and basic is boring. I like Taylor and maybe in time she would have started to fight back if she remained after that Backstage comp. Conflict is what fuels the show. 

They could have given her melatonin to help her sleep and in the DR told her to bring it down a few notches and calm down. CBS disliked Paloma; it was obvious. I think Paloma could have a defamation case.

21 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

I think Paloma could have a defamation case.

In the real world, probably, but the hamsters sign multi page contracts which gives the production company carte blanche.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LoveLeigh said:

I think Paloma could have a defamation case.

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

In the real world, probably, but the hamsters sign multi page contracts which gives the production company carte blanche.

CBS didn't show Paloma doing anything she didn't actually do or saying anything she didn't actually say. Other houseguests were shown talking about her, but in a worried tone of voice. The show said she left for "personal reasons," which is not defamatory in and of itself. Julie acted like it was minor tragedy that Paloma was forced to leave, as did the remaining houseguests. There's nothing Paloma could point to and say "They defamed my character."

• Applause 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I don't watch the feeds and I could not fully understand it when people were saying that Taylor is such a sweetheart but after this episode I just want to hug her and truthfully take her away from these mean people. She seems so sweet and calm, she is a very good person and I hope this game doesn't change her in the process.

Paloma was exhibiting symptoms of bipolar disorder.  I'm certainly not attempting to diagnose her.  However, I think they have to tell what medications they take and she may have stopped hers to be able to quality.  remember, the guy that ate all the watermelons stopped xanax I believe before coming into the house and suffered quite a bit. If she had a mood disorder,  Manic people are fun to be around so it's not surprising that Paloma was liked so much, but then the lows hit and as we saw, they hit her hard.  lack of sleep is a real trigger for the disorder.  while I didn't like what she did to Taylor, I hope she'll be ok. 

as far as those who are left--Daniel is an ass....he didn't need to be so cruel when he nominated Taylor; Monte is an ass also....totally dismissing Taylor and jumping right into the stake burning;.Pooch running right back and telling on Brittany another ass....Why doesn't anyone try to be more subtle to find out if someone said something--because if it's true, you just ticked off the person who gave you that information.  Who is going to admit to saying they floated your name?  I like that Nicole saw thru everything so I think I'd go for either her, Michael, Taylor, or Kyle.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Also, I've been thinking about Paloma. It's quite possible that she really doesn't have any underlying mental issues. It could have been just the lack of sleep that ruffled her edges. It can make you act/react oddly. However, the not being able to sleep (if it's because you are feeling restless) is a classic symptom of mania. So it's kind of a chicken/egg thing to really say what triggered what... did she start getting manic and that kept her from sleeping and it snowballed or did the lack of sleep bring on those manic-like symptoms?

Hopefully either way she'll be able to find help if she needs it. The circumstances could lead her to just write it off as stress of the BB House and the lack of sleep though. Should that happen (and she does have underlying issues) she may just be setting herself up to have an even worse reaction the next time she is triggered. The more times you get burnt by that flame, the uglier they can get and easily lead to hospitalization.

I sat that as I ducked and dodged my own symptoms (while kinda tearing down everything around me over and over again) for years until things completely exploded down the line. It was a super whirlwind of chaos for many a year before I (and others) figured out what was really to blame. I don't wish for anyone to take that road, but sometimes you need to hit a dead end pretty hard before a resolution.

I've already deleted the show from my DVR, but didn't Paloma say things that suggested that she has anxiety issues IRL/in the past?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

CBS didn't show Paloma doing anything she didn't actually do or saying anything she didn't actually say. Other houseguests were shown talking about her, but in a worried tone of voice. The show said she left for "personal reasons," which is not defamatory in and of itself. Julie acted like it was minor tragedy that Paloma was forced to leave, as did the remaining houseguests. There's nothing Paloma could point to and say "They defamed my character."

Exactly and what she said and did was hardly enough for which to be kicked out. The other HGs never gave examples why they were so worried about her and CBS was vague with the "personal reasons" so THAT combined may not be enough for a lawsuit however.... the fact that they did not show enough, and we did not hear enough as to why she was removed or explain it makes it seem like their judgement indicating she was unstable was wrong. 

So it is 1. they made her appear crazy and showed no serious evidence and 2. they removed her and showed crying and prayers for her and it seriously alluded to conclusions regarding her mental health and cast aspersions on her mental stability which is the reason for the lawsuit, not the removal which her contract probably allows them to do. 

She was damaged and defamed by just that pryer circle alone. They were wrong to show it, it gave the wrong impression about her condition. Who will hire her now for a job? If she was in college to be a teacher, the way they made her appear (especially with what Julie said after the prayer) makes her seem irrational and unstable and she could say she was doing it all to make the show more interesting. 

I definitey think the way they did it damaged her and as I said they probably can kick her out for any reason but that should not be the reason for the lawsuit. it should be how they damaged her character.

55 minutes ago, MMLEsq said:

I've already deleted the show from my DVR, but didn't Paloma say things that suggested that she has anxiety issues IRL/in the past?

Who doesn't have anxiety issues lol. She did nothing serious enough to be removed and she was not a danger to herself or anybody else. 

it is clear CBS was protecting Taylor, which I get... I really really like Taylor and would be happy if she wins but come on: Big Brother thrives on conflict and drama and crazy. 

4 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

She did nothing serious enough to be removed and she was not a danger to herself or anybody else. 

It was never stated she was removed and no real reason was given for her departure.

She may have just flat out quit.  Went over the wall.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

It was never stated she was removed and no real reason was given for her departure.

She may have just flat out quit.  Went over the wall.

There is an article on ew.com or maybe one of the others that said she quit for personal reasons.

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

Exactly and what she said and did was hardly enough for which to be kicked out. The other HGs never gave examples why they were so worried about her and CBS was vague with the "personal reasons" so THAT combined may not be enough for a lawsuit however.... the fact that they did not show enough, and we did not hear enough as to why she was removed or explain it makes it seem like their judgement indicating she was unstable was wrong. 

So it is 1. they made her appear crazy and showed no serious evidence and 2. they removed her and showed crying and prayers for her and it seriously alluded to conclusions regarding her mental health and cast aspersions on her mental stability which is the reason for the lawsuit, not the removal which her contract probably allows them to do. 

She was damaged and defamed by just that pryer circle alone. They were wrong to show it, it gave the wrong impression about her condition. Who will hire her now for a job? If she was in college to be a teacher, the way they made her appear (especially with what Julie said after the prayer) makes her seem irrational and unstable and she could say she was doing it all to make the show more interesting. 

I definitey think the way they did it damaged her and as I said they probably can kick her out for any reason but that should not be the reason for the lawsuit. it should be how they damaged her character.

Who doesn't have anxiety issues lol. She did nothing serious enough to be removed and she was not a danger to herself or anybody else. 

it is clear CBS was protecting Taylor, which I get... I really really like Taylor and would be happy if she wins but come on: Big Brother thrives on conflict and drama and crazy. 

Why are you going on and on about them “kicking her out”? Nothing was said that indicates she was removed from that game against her will. It seemed very clear she was the one who decided to leave and that her leaving fucked up Production's plans. And come on now, a lawsuit? Really? That's funny. 🙄

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
39 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

The link below contains the requisites necessary for a Defamation lawsuit. There are three elements:

1. The statement must be false

2. The person making the statement must either know it is false or show a "reckless disregard for the truth"

3. The statement must be published.

Nobody on Big Brother ever made a statement about Paloma's mental health that was aired on the episode other than they were worried that she wasn't getting enough sleep. Since she herself told people she wasn't getting enough sleep, nobody can be accused of repeating a false statement that they knew was false.

She was shown complaining about a lack of sleep. She was shown saying she was worried about the effect the lack of sleep would have on her. Other houseguests were shown worrying about that also. They never expressed any concern that she would harm them, but merely what effect the lack of sleep (which has been indisputably shown to be physically and mentally harmful) would have on her. She was shown manically talking in the Diary Room, then falling asleep. We were then told she'd been removed for personal reasons.

At no time did anyone knowingly make a false statement about Paloma or show a "reckless disregard for the truth." If a viewer chooses to make an inference based on the remaining houseguests forming a prayer circle and talking about the need to keep centered and whatnot, CBS and the production company could not possibly be held responsible for that inference.

As for her future employment prospects: Pretty much everyone understands that BB is a high-pressure game show featuring a bunch of strangers crammed into an unnatural environment and competing for a large cash prize. If I were an employer looking for a whatever-it-is-she-does-for-a-living and she applied tomorrow, I might or might not hire her, but I would put zero weight on her leaving BB early.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/civil-litigation/defamation-character.html

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Why are you going on and on about them “kicking her out”? Nothing was said that indicates she was removed from that game against her will. It seemed very clear she was the one who decided to leave and that her leaving fucked up Production's plans. And come on now, a lawsuit? Really? That's funny. 🙄

OK I had the impression they kicked her out. She talked out winning the game so I did not think she left on her own. 

22 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The link below contains the requisites necessary for a Defamation lawsuit. There are three elements:

1. The statement must be false

2. The person making the statement must either know it is false or show a "reckless disregard for the truth"

3. The statement must be published.

Nobody on Big Brother ever made a statement about Paloma's mental health that was aired on the episode other than they were worried that she wasn't getting enough sleep. Since she herself told people she wasn't getting enough sleep, nobody can be accused of repeating a false statement that they knew was false.

She was shown complaining about a lack of sleep. She was shown saying she was worried about the effect the lack of sleep would have on her. Other houseguests were shown worrying about that also. They never expressed any concern that she would harm them, but merely what effect the lack of sleep (which has been indisputably shown to be physically and mentally harmful) would have on her. She was shown manically talking in the Diary Room, then falling asleep. We were then told she'd been removed for personal reasons.

At no time did anyone knowingly make a false statement about Paloma or show a "reckless disregard for the truth." If a viewer chooses to make an inference based on the remaining houseguests forming a prayer circle and talking about the need to keep centered and whatnot, CBS and the production company could not possibly be held responsible for that inference.

As for her future employment prospects: Pretty much everyone understands that BB is a high-pressure game show featuring a bunch of strangers crammed into an unnatural environment and competing for a large cash prize. If I were an employer looking for a whatever-it-is-she-does-for-a-living and she applied tomorrow, I might or might not hire her, but I would put zero weight on her leaving BB early.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/civil-litigation/defamation-character.html

OK.... 

25 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

OK I had the impression they kicked her out. She talked out winning the game so I did not think she left on her own. 

She did say on the episode that she wanted to leave to multiple HGs and was even asking Turner to leave with her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

There is an article on ew.com or maybe one of the others that said she quit for personal reasons.

I laughed at Julie saying Paloma left for personal reasons, and the houseguests responded with "mental health is important, you have to take care of your mental health! They all assumed mental health was the "personal reason."

While I agree that her behavior was consistent with a bipolar disorder, another explanation could be sleep deprivation. People who don't sleep can start to hallucinate, or have weird symptoms like derealization/depersonalization, basically feeling that things aren't real. (Inception)  and, of course, bipolar disorder combined with not sleeping is a dangerous combination. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I laughed at Julie saying Paloma left for personal reasons, and the houseguests responded with "mental health is important, you have to take care of your mental health! They all assumed mental health was the "personal reason."

While I agree that her behavior was consistent with a bipolar disorder, another explanation could be sleep deprivation. People who don't sleep can start to hallucinate, or have weird symptoms like derealization/depersonalization, basically feeling that things aren't real. (Inception)  and, of course, bipolar disorder combined with not sleeping is a dangerous combination. 

"Personal" reasons in BB-speak usually means some sort of health reason that they can't disclose. That was the official reason Evel Dick left. We now know that it was because he found out he was HIV+.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I am going on and on because I believe they influenced her to exit. And I believe they would cover that up and not be truthful about it. I do not believe it was her own decision because nothing we saw prior to her exit indicated in any way she wanted to leave. She was planning on winning and playing hard. She never once said she was considering self evicting. 

Production's plans were fucked up because CBS fucked up their own previous plan by manipulating her to go. And yes, I think they made it appear she was suffering some mental issue which could damage her in real life... so regarding a lawsuit I have seen cases with less go forward by those on Survivor and My 600 Pound Life. Now whether she would win is another issue. 

(edited)
14 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

I am not buying the Paloma sleep deprivation/bipolar theory. This show thrives on crazy. I think they wanted her out because they want Taylor to go far in the game and Paloma was in the way of that so they used what they had of her nuttiness to put a spin on it.

I heard production's tone of voice when they told her to clean the mirror. They hated her and the voice was dripping with hate. 

That's a lot of assumptions. I feel like we can't come to these wild conclusions until Paloma speaks. I also don't think that production had "hatred in their voice. They use the same tone of voice for everyone.

I also don't think production favors Taylor. She hasn't been edited well.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

That's a lot of assumptions. I feel like we can't come to these wild conclusions until Paloma speaks. I also don't think that production had "hatred in their voice. They use the same tone of voice for everyone.

I also don't think production favors Taylor. She hasn't been edited well.

Well I like Taylor so I am rooting for her. 

What is this cleaning the mirror that people are talking about? Did I miss something or was it in the live feeds?

my take: I think Paloma felt really guilty about gaslighting Taylor and it drove her crazy, and she has a breakdown and left. Just my speculation. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

Well I have my opinion which may be stupid on my part but I feel she was influenced by production to go. They edit these episodes a lot. Paloma acted no crazier than Evel Dick towards Jen the first season he was on. This show loves bullying and lies and manipulation. Look how Derrick treated Victoria. They all talk shit about each other and make fun of each other. Remember how they bullied Nicole Anthony? So many of them are nuts we wonder how they passed psych evals. 

I think CBS is putting a spin on this because just the day before her exit Paloma was talking about her name being on the winning check. Then the next day she wants to go? It makes no sense. 

They all have had sleep deprivation: remember the pots and pans banging? Remember production waking many of them up to perform game tasks? They survive on slop. It's endless abuse.

I am not buying the Paloma sleep deprivation/bipolar theory. This show thrives on crazy. I think they wanted her out because they want Taylor to go far in the game and Paloma was in the way of that so they used what they had of her nuttiness to put a spin on it.

I heard production's tone of voice when they told her to clean the mirror. They hated her and the voice was dripping with hate. 

I agree with you. I think she was strongly encouraged to leave. I think BB saw that she was casting the show in a negative light in regards to racism. Social media hated her and her treatment of Taylor.  How dare she bring down all the progress that BB made last year! I think they probably treated the eviction gently. Maybe they explained to her how she was coming across and also showed concern for her mental health and said her eviction could be explained away as such. I agree that her behavior, although bad, was not any worse than numerous previous hgs.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2

Jasmine's foot totally touched the floor.  

I think production did a poor job with depicting Paloma's DOR.  It was characterized as a sleep deprivation issue, but the hamster's over-the-top reaction, plus the anguished mentions of "mental health, mental health, mental health" by subsequent diary room interviews belied that whole fiction that all Paloma needed was a good night's sleep.  It was clumsily done.

• Love 1

IAs much as I somewhat enjoyed watching Paloma (I think others were just as horrible if not worse about Taylor), I don’t think production disliked her.

Jasmine and Monte have treated Taylor far more terrific yet are still in the house.

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Production loved Paloma and wished she could have stayed. She created a lot of conversation among the fans during her week in the house and that equals ratings. Sure, it's for controversial reasons but the important thing is that people were talking. The worst thing that can happen to a show like this is for it to generate no conversation at all.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

But if she had stayed, she likely would have been the first to be evicted.  They would have had to play out the twist.

I would assume the house would have voted Taylor to fight it out.  Then Julie would announce that she would go against the back stage pass holder who had the lowest public vote - likely Paloma.

I don't think Paloma would have survived.  She was already stressed and sleep deprived.  Also her comp skills are ? -  she was the first to mess up in her group leading up to the first HOH.

Edited by thestorm
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2