Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Last Day of Bunny Folger

• Start Topic

Gomez's reaction shot of terror when Bunny started crying was brilliant. I enjoyed the tragedy that the three of them could have just invited her in and maybe saved her life. 

They cut off the episode when Mabel ran into Bunny in her apartment, but at the same time, that's when the guys got the text to get off the roof and out of the building. 

If they're being framed, then someone they know had to have seen something to warn them who hasn't spoken up yet. 

• Useful 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If they're being framed, then someone they know had to have seen something to warn them who hasn't spoken up yet. 

I think this is why Charles and Oliver thought it was Detective Williams who sent the text, as she would be one of the few known allies who would obviously have known law enforcement was on the way to Mabel's apartment and who would have had their phone numbers. I'm not convinced it was her, though.

I've been wondering if the killer sent the "get out now" text. This would be the only other person who would have possibly (?) known that an entire SWAT team (!) was on its way to Mabel's apartment. If they are being framed, it would look mighty suspicious to be frantically escaping from the building as law enforcement arrives to arrest you for murder.

As a general comment, I really wish the show would explore this a bit more...a lot of the details seemed to be glossed over in 2x1, such as who called the police, who told the police to go directly to Mabel's apartment, why a full SWAT team was deployed, if the police were specifically told that Mabel killed someone, and/or if the police were also specifically told that Oliver and Charles were involved. I'm honestly a little frustrated that the trio thought to interrogate a bird before asking a lawyer (...or Detective Williams...) to obtain a copy of the 911 call that got all three of them detained as murder suspects. The mystery/comedy balance is off this season, IMO; it's sitcom-y.

Edited by dovegrey
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

The way Bunny said "What the fuck are you doing here?" makes me think it wasn't anyone who lives in the Arconia. It sounded like she was killed by someone she knew but wasn't in regular contact with. Whoever she was on the phone with earlier(talking about selling the painting) is the person who killed her.

She actually said, “What the fuck do you want?”, which leads me in the direction of someone who does live in the Arconia, and who Bunny would not be pleased to see.  Nina?  Howard?  I don’t believe it would be Uma.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:39 AM, sjankis630 said:

The surprise party basically tells me that Bunny has given access to her key to more that maybe just Uma. She didn't seem to put out to see 4 people she was not expecting in her apartment. That is unless she was planning on meeting them there in the first place. I could not tell but I would have expected someone like Bunny to fly off the handle if she saw 4 strangers in her apartment but I could be completely mis reading this .

I think Bunny had expectations that it was just a board meeting and she knew they’d be there.  That it turned into a surprise retirement party (and Howard is sure being made suspicious, with his banner that reads “It’s Over” and party hat that reads “You’re Done”!, not to mention the black eye and what appeared to be his fake screaming when Uma noticed the missing painting in the last episode), seems to be what Bunny didn’t know about and was not pleased by.

• Love 3

I keep thinking about this show. I am torn toward believing maybe the killer did not have a key to Bunny's apartment. I mean they knocked and waited for Bunny to be impatient enough to answer. I know she probably gets all kinds of visitors being board president but what if she was in the bathroom or asleep? Do you believe the killer would have taken a pass key and entered her apartment anyway? Also did the killer wait until the 3 detectives had decided to party on the roof away from being a potential witness?

I also am not 100% sure how the events play out. Did the killer stab Bunny in her apartment and leave her for dead after they left with the painting? Then Bunny stumbles out into the hallway where she just happened to make it into Mabel's apartment?

I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

I keep thinking about this show. I am torn toward believing maybe the killer did not have a key to Bunny's apartment. I mean they knocked and waited for Bunny to be impatient enough to answer. I know she probably gets all kinds of visitors being board president but what if she was in the bathroom or asleep? Do you believe the killer would have taken a pass key and entered her apartment anyway? Also did the killer wait until the 3 detectives had decided to party on the roof away from being a potential witness?

I also am not 100% sure how the events play out. Did the killer stab Bunny in her apartment and leave her for dead after they left with the painting? Then Bunny stumbles out into the hallway where she just happened to make it into Mabel's apartment?

I have no idea.

I think we’re missing time from how the events played out. The presumed killer came off the elevator at the same time the trio went to the roof with a full bottle of champagne. Bunny was still standing up and alive when Mabel came back downstairs to get more champagne. How fast did they drink that entire bottle? Either it’s a goof or the writers are still very slowly revealing new elements of a scene we have literally seen since the first episode of the series. (But wait! There’s more!)

Bunny couldn’t have taken herself to Mabel’s apartment after the killer left, unless the killer grabbed one of Mabel’s knitting needles before going to Bunny’s apartment. Did the killer stab Bunny and then march her to Mabel’s apartment to stick the knitting needle in? How did no one else on Floor 12 apparently hear or see anything? How was there no apparent crime scene in Bunny’s apartment that we saw (no blood splatter, no sign of a struggle)?

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

I think we’re missing time from how the events played out. The presumed killer came off the elevator at the same time the trio went to the roof with a full bottle of champagne. Bunny was still standing up and alive when Mabel came back downstairs to get more champagne. How fast did they drink that entire bottle?

Good point. 
I think this leaves time for the killer to: 

35 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

stab Bunny and then march her to Mabel’s apartment to stick the knitting needle in

and clean up blood in Bunny's apartment and the hallway.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Good point. 
I think this leaves time for the killer to: 

and clean up blood in Bunny's apartment and the hallway.

Or that, absolutely. But, boy, poor Bunny. That would be a long time to suffer. I'd only question that would be a lot of blood to clean up without a trace in those areas (just look at how much blood was on Mabel from a quick interaction), and there should be a whole lot more blood in Mabel's apartment than what we saw (if Bunny's bleeding out in there for 45-60 minutes). I also think it would be convenient that Mabel found Bunny just moments before she finally died, but that's TV.

Maybe Bunny beat the odds, faked her death, and is enjoying the terrible heat of Boca Raton in witness protection... 🍷

• Love 3

I really feel sorry for the bird. Amazon parrots are extremely intelligent - more so than dogs or cats. That bird would be grieving for the loss of its owner. And totally confused. Plus, you can't just keep them in a cage all day, they get really bored and start picking out their own feathers. It's too bad Bunny wasn't close enough to anyone that could have cared for the parrot properly. 

(I don't think Bunny really left the bird to Oliver either; I think Uma just decided it would be funny to make him take it.)

• Sad 5
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I really feel sorry for the bird. Amazon parrots are extremely intelligent - more so than dogs or cats. That bird would be grieving for the loss of its owner. And totally confused. Plus, you can't just keep them in a cage all day, they get really bored and start picking out their own feathers. It's too bad Bunny wasn't close enough to anyone that could have cared for the parrot properly.

Yes.

30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

(I don't think Bunny really left the bird to Oliver either; I think Uma just decided it would be funny to make him take it.)

I think Uma just didn't want the responsibility and doesn't like or care about the parrot. 🙁🦜

• Like 2
(edited)

Thanks for reminding me about the blood in Mabel's apartment, vs. any discussion of Bunny's apartment being the scene of where she was stabbed.  Is it possible that Bunny ran out of her apartment toward Mabel's apartment in hope of getting help and the stabbing took place in Mabel's apartment, so the evidence is all there?   Poor Bunny.   Also, if the murderer is Alice (art cooperative person), having been in Mabel's apartment would give her motive to stay close to Mabel and the investigation. 

Didn't Alice say she was impressed with Mabel's wall mural?  Was that published in the newspapers after the Mabel was accused of killing Bunny? Otherwise, how would Alice have seen it?  😲

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Didn't Alice say she was impressed with Mabel's wall mural?  Was that published in the newspapers after the Mabel was accused of killing Bunny? Otherwise, how would Alice have seen it?  😲

It was online at least, as Mabel herself scrolled past it while looking at all of the “#BloodyMabel” posts.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Thanks for reminding me about the blood in Mabel's apartment, vs. any discussion of Bunny's apartment being the scene of where she was stabbed.  Is it possible that Bunny ran out of her apartment toward Mabel's apartment in hope of getting help and the stabbing took place in Mabel's apartment, so the evidence is all there?

That's what I was thinking, and I've been bouncing between Bunny running for help vs. Bunny being moved to frame Mabel. I'm leaning toward the latter, as the knitting needle replacing the knife seems fairly targeted at framing Mabel. And, if she ran before being stabbed, would it be hard to explain her being attacked and screaming while Mrs. Gambolini freaked out? What happened in that scene, if not the stabbing? Unless it's suddenly revealed that Bunny was actually bludgeoned or chloroformed before being moved to and stabbed in Mabel's apartment, which, at this point, wouldn't be surprising. I feel like the writers are holding back information that the characters know, like the trio being the last people to see Bunny alive minutes before she was killed (probably shoulda come up in 2x1 🙃).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, dovegrey said:

I'd only question that would be a lot of blood to clean up without a trace in those areas (just look at how much blood was on Mabel from a quick interaction), and there should be a whole lot more blood in Mabel's apartment than what we saw (if Bunny's bleeding out in there for 45-60 minutes).

The amount of blood on Mabel, and where the blood was on her, has been a sticking point for me since the last episode of Season 1.  Her entire torso and chest were soaked with blood.  Bunny had a knitting needle stuck in her chest, so it's not like she could have bear hugged Mabel, or fallen on her, transferring the blood that way.  But, we now know that Mabel doesn't remember everything that happened, so I think there's a piece here that we're missing, and will be fed to us later.  Something that explains all that blood on Mabel, and why she doesn't remember everything.  I'm sure those two things are connected.

If all that blood on Mabel turns out to be just bad wardrobe/props/effects, I'm going to be pissed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

As someone commented last episode, Oliver should be talking to his son, the veterinarian, about the parrot.  Given that Bunny knew the scoop on everyone, including Oliver's son breaking a window at age 10, she should that he is a vet.  That could be the real reason that she left the parrot to Oliver - it was a backhanded way of getting it to someone who works with animals.

It was a touching episode and Jayne Houdyshell was great in it.  I didn't like them leaving Bunny in the hallway, especially since their last interactions with her weren't the callous ones we thought they were based on last season.  It would have made me more accepting if after they said, 'wait, did she want to come in?' if they had opened the door and Bunny had simply been gone.  But really, once she put on the sweatshirt in good humor they should have been gracious.

I wonder if Ivan is the son of someone dear to Bunny.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, chaifan said:

The amount of blood on Mabel, and where the blood was on her, has been a sticking point for me since the last episode of Season 1.  Her entire torso and chest were soaked with blood.  Bunny had a knitting needle stuck in her chest, so it's not like she could have bear hugged Mabel, or fallen on her, transferring the blood that way.  But, we now know that Mabel doesn't remember everything that happened, so I think there's a piece here that we're missing, and will be fed to us later.  Something that explains all that blood on Mabel, and why she doesn't remember everything.  I'm sure those two things are connected.

If all that blood on Mabel turns out to be just bad wardrobe/props/effects, I'm going to be pissed.

When Bunny was lying sideways on the floor, she had a big blood stain on her back, so it looks like the original knife wound went all the way through her body (holy knife blade, Batman). Bunny falls on Mabel and the knitting needle is shoved through the original knife path and goes all the way through, too, which allows for their bodies to touch? I don't know if stab wounds work that way. I really do question how Bunny wandered around for however long with that amount of blood loss, compared to the lack of blood anywhere except on Mabel and one spot on Mabel's floor. Bunny dies a tidy death...

I don't think Mabel can remember clearly because she was stumbling drunk + in shock. And then suddenly completely sober and clear headed again while in police custody. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As someone commented last episode, Oliver should be talking to his son, the veterinarian, about the parrot. 

Most vets aren't trained to treat birds, though.

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Thanks for reminding me about the blood in Mabel's apartment, vs. any discussion of Bunny's apartment being the scene of where she was stabbed.  Is it possible that Bunny ran out of her apartment toward Mabel's apartment in hope of getting help and the stabbing took place in Mabel's apartment, so the evidence is all there?   Poor Bunny.

That kind of get me.  I thought the cops said she was stabbed multiple times with a knife (that they didn't find) and then Mabel's knitting needle, to frame Mabel.  But if Bunny was stabbed into her own apartment and then ran to Mabel's then there should have been blood everywhere.  But if she ran across to Mabel's apartment and was stabbed there, how did she get past the murderer who was standing in the doorway?  Did she invite them in when she answered the door?  I thought she answered the door and asked what the fuck are you doing here? and then got stabbed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I was assuming Bunny got stabbed in her apartment shortly after she answered the door, but since the scene was in shadows, maybe this person was just trying to grab or subdue her enough to get her to Mabel's apartment to stab her? I can't imagine an elderly woman who has been stabbed in the chest multiple times would have the ability to walk across the hall into another apartment and wander around until Mabel showed up. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

First the living room and now her bedroom, Bunny's choice of wallpaper alone, is enough to redeem her for me. But I fully understand why none of the three invited her in. She tried to evict them. After that, a nod in the courtyard is more than civil on their part. 

I'm hoping the murderer is Cinda Canning (or one of her lookalikes). I'm half joking, but it would explain how they got to the building so fast to see the three being led out in handcuffs.

Sting's apartment looking like 1990's Z Gallery! Ha!

As someone who has strolled through the ubiquitous Z Galleries back in the day, I felt that line deeply. 🤣

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 3

It was kind of bittersweet to see Bunny's last day.  Nice to see her softer side and find some things to like about her, knowing that she's not going to survive the day.  Wow, the Bunny actress is amazing!  She sold everything - even the subtle moments were so believable.  I felt so bad for Bunny when our trio didn't let her join their party, even when she was clearly, clearly hinting, but I can see it from their side also.  This episode had all my attention.  Really, really good, and I don't usually lavish praise on TV shows.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 7/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

I gasped when the trio shut the door in Bunny's face after she brought them champagne.

That makes two of us.  What an effing RUDE thing to do.  And even when they realized they'd hurt her they STILL didn't open the door.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I knew Oliver would try to interview Mrs. Gambolini.

The black and white checkerboard print with a lime green accent cardigan on Mabel was perfect. I'm going to need a slideshow of her fashions this season. Also, great Moonstruck reference.

Bunny's last day wasn't super exciting compared to the high-adrenaline mystery solving of the other episodes but it was kind of sweet and very New York. I didn't really think about how she was styled last season. The glasses and the big fur coat and the push cart were kind of adorable. Jayne Houdyshell was a good choice to make what could be a cartoonish character feel grounded without needing to show us too much of her life onscreen. They definitely softened her by showing all the people she did get along with but it doesn't feel like a retcon. People can be mean to some people and nice to others. 

Aww, Will is back

Still some good funny moments this episode even if it wasn't so dramatic... like Howard loudly scribbling down the minutes during Bunny and Nina's fight. "Welp, honestly not sure what the hell is happening... Oh, My'lanta. Nina just let this bitch have it"

To not leave a trail of blood, that ending scene implies the killer was able to drag a screaming and fighting Bunny into Mabel's apartment (without anyone noticing) before stabbing her or doing anything to incapacitate her (since she was still conscious when Mabel found her). 

Having seen the killer's pant legs and shoes

Maybe I've just been burned by shows like Pretty Little Liars but I assume the "killer" is a stunt actor/stand in unless they're trying to show us a clear flashback. The only time I feel cheated is if the real actor looks nothing like the stand in (e.g. tiny feet vs big feet without any mention of wearing the wrong shoe size on purpose). 

I agree that the trio were insensitive when they didn't invite her in, but they also only knew the side of her that she (probably purposely) showed people.  They probably never got the glimpse into her that we got to see in this episode.  Also, she tended to push people away, or seemed to, so they may not have thought she would even want to come in.  They did care when they saw she was hurt by it, though, but may have also been surprised.

Speaking as a millennial, I'd expect that kind of awkwardness from Mabel but not from Oliver and especially Charles. They feel like part of a generation that was aware of and observed those social graces. Even if they wanted to celebrate by themselves, it feels like Charles' instinct would be to invite her in just to be polite. 

Nina Lin is obviously moon-bumping. She could be faking her pregnancy but I don’t think she would harm/kill Bunny. It’s too straightforward.

It's one of those things I write off as weak prop work/costumes. 

I wish the producers would create a giant floor plan of the building for us. I have no idea who lives where.

Same. It's the thing I pay the least attention to.

This episode was truly lovely, and highlighted something that I think is a running theme in this show - loneliness.

Yes. All three leads experienced loneliness (for different reasons) before they met. And we've also seen it in the other characters... even the Arconiacs to a degree. Given Charles' omelets, I wouldn't be surprised by him feeling the most guilt though.

So she signed an invoice for an elevator inspection, but it broke anyway? And it must break often enough that Bunny knew how to get it working again.

Maybe a fake elevator inspector? It would explain the boots and the work outfit worn by the killer.

I'm never confident about reading into "clues" like this for that reason. I lean on script/dialogue instead.

Edited by aradia22