Type keyword(s) to search

Where the Crawdads Sing (2022)

QQQQ
  • Start Topic

(edited)

IMDB Link

"Kya Clark, otherwise known as the Marsh Girl by the townspeople of Barkley Cove, is mysterious and wild. Abandoned by her family, Where the Crawdads Sing is a coming of age story of a young girl raised by the marshlands of the south in the 50's. Watching many years past, when the town hotshot is found dead, and inexplicably linked to Kya, the Marsh Girl is the prime suspect in his murder case."

Full disclosure: I hated this book with the heat of a thousand nuns (™ old Television Without Pity forums 😅) and am kind of hoping the movie is a mess.

Edited by QQQQ
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
On 6/29/2022 at 7:12 PM, QQQQ said:

IMDB Link

"Kya Clark, otherwise known as the Marsh Girl by the townspeople of Barkley Cove, is mysterious and wild. Abandoned by her family, Where the Crawdads Sing is a coming of age story of a young girl raised by the marshlands of the south in the 50's. Watching many years past, when the town hotshot is found dead, and inexplicably linked to Kya, the Marsh Girl is the prime suspect in his murder case."

Full disclosure: I hated this book with the heat of a thousand nuns (™ old Television Without Pity forums 😅) and am kind of hoping the movie is a mess.

May I sit at your table?

• Love 3
(edited)

Here's the trailer (just showing off--I only recently figured out how to embed them):

On 6/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, QQQQ said:

I'd never even heard of it before I started seeing the trailer in theaters.  What about the book did you hate?  The whole premise?  Or the way it was written?

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wish this was good because I love Harris Dickinson from his work in Beach Rats but you guys aren't filling me with hope here. LOL

Taylor John Smith had this interesting role on a tv series called American Crime Story but he's never really managed to get anything interesting since.

They have a really similar look and I wonder if that was on purpose:

image.png.36842bbf274e326f0f526b6602d3cb7b.png

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1

Where the Crawdads Sing was one of those books that kept me invested, but I like less and less in hindsight (same with Little Fires Everywhere and Where'd You Go, Bernadette).

"Carolina" is an all right little ditty.

Anyone have any thoughts on Delia Owens in general?

• Love 2

I couldn't get into the book, and only checked out this thread, because of something I read earlier. I saw a discussion about this, a few years ago, on a reddit site. About the author.

I saw it today and I enjoyed it. I hadn't read the book before, so Chase turning out to be a bastard took me by surprise, as did the revelation 

Spoiler

that she DID kill him.

• Applause 1

I have to say that the whole time, I couldn't stop thinking of the VC Andrews "Casteel" series, as well as the one that takes place in the Louisiana bayou, thanks to the similar settings and type of plotline 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I did like that the sarcastic closing argument by Tom Milton is exactly what happened.

Or did she find some other way to sneak back into town? I'm surprised and frustrated/disappointed that we never saw exactly HOW she pulled it off.

• Like 1

Now it’s been a minute since I’ve read the book but I do believe 

Spoiler

the prosecution talks about Kya in disguise-that’s how no one would have recognized her

but what the movie audience sees is pretty much how the book ends- it never truly explains it

also (book spoiler)

Spoiler

in the book she’s likes reading poetry and has books from a random author  - Tate didn’t like this particular poet and there’s a scene in the book where he tells kya that - the book quoted this unknown author quite a bit and at the end Tate finds the necklace under the floorboard of the house along with the proof that she’s the unknown author and the reader figures out the whole “the prey must kill the predator thing” she wrote under a pen name - hence more secrets -was a predator etc 

it made the “twist” a lot more….shocking 

I thought Tate killed Chase…it was his hat after all 😉

But I quite liked it-thought they did a good job translating it to the big screen 

• Love 1
On 6/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, QQQQ said:

I still use "a thousand nuns" also.  I never read the book but had come across the twist somehow.  I did like the movie.

• Applause 1

I am looking forward to seeing it. It’s one of those books I loved while reading but then when I think about it, the plot doesn’t hold up.

My heart is just so full finding my fellow haters.   I have been on a terror about this book since I read it.  I have no desire to sit through the movie, but can anyone tell me if they leave Asheville out of it?  That was one of my biggest problems is that the author clearly had absolutely no idea about North Carolina geography or bothered to look at a freakin' map, because she had the characters just jaunting all willy nilly from OBX to Asheville like it's not a SEVEN HOUR DRIVE with today's interstate system.  It's just such a dumb, dumb detail to get wrong, it drove me absolutely nuts.  I would like to think someone at least fixed this stupidity for the movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, lasu said:

My heart is just so full finding my fellow haters.   I have been on a terror about this book since I read it.  I have no desire to sit through the movie, but can anyone tell me if they leave Asheville out of it?  That was one of my biggest problems is that the author clearly had absolutely no idea about North Carolina geography or bothered to look at a freakin' map, because she had the characters just jaunting all willy nilly from OBX to Asheville like it's not a SEVEN HOUR DRIVE with today's interstate system.  It's just such a dumb, dumb detail to get wrong, it drove me absolutely nuts.  I would like to think someone at least fixed this stupidity for the movie.

They did.  They changed it to Greenville.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, lasu said:
On 8/5/2022 at 10:01 AM, Browncoat said:

They did.  They changed it to Greenville.

Thank you.  That is so much more reasonable.

Actually that is not completely accurate-Greenville is where she went to meet the publishers, Asheville is where and she and Chase went on the overnight stay-

1 minute ago, snickers said:

Actually that is not completely accurate-Greenville is where she went to meet the publishers, Asheville is where and she and Chase went on the overnight stay-

I believe @lasu was talking about the trip Kya was on when Chase died.  In the book, it was Asheville, but in the movie it was the much more sensible Greenville.

Right I get it, but I looked it up in my book again and it IS greenville for the publishers and asheville for the hotel trip and the movie keeps this in there, i know people love to rag on this novel/book but it was accurate 😄

Edited by snickers
  • Useful 1

In the book, Chase's dad also bought his bike from the Western Auto in Asheville.  The fact that Asheville is involved in this at all is utter stupidity.  You would not take an overnight trip to Asheville.  With today's highway system, it would take 7 hours in one direction, much less how long it would have taken before major highways.  To put this in perspective, I live in Raleigh, and it would me about the same amount of time to drive to NYC as it would to get from OBX to Asheville.  Dumb.

I don't know if its worth getting this caught up in the weeds, I don't know North Carolina outside of the known major cities, but I just assumed Barkley Cove wasn't even a real place 😆 All I know is I'd guess the area of the OBX looked quite different in the 1960's then it does now when it wasn't even a beach front then.....

• Like 1

I haven't read the book (and likely won't,) but I liked this film a lot, including the conclusion that actually she had killed him, which wasn't a surprise to me as this seems largely based off of Tess of The Durbevilles where Chase=Alec Durbeville (also murdered by Tess, also a wealthy rapist) and Tate=Angel Claire (also middle class, sweet but flawed who abandons Tess out of weakness leaving her vulnerable to Alec and then returns later etc.)  But with a less miserable ending.

Edited by Glade
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

No way to search but I didn’t see this here ( are they ever going to make this site more user friendly?) 

Watched this recently. Something about it kept me watching even though a movie more ridiculously full of holes I have never seen! Holy ****! Right from the start when not one member of her family takes her with them all the way through being arrested on insane evidence, and all the never would happen BS in between. A small child left alone in a swamp for years with no electricity etc. no one helps. The store owners never got her help. Her boyfriend goes off to college & abandons her then comes back with a moronic reason ETC ETC! Wow. This was quite the fantasy. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

No way to search but I didn’t see this here ( are they ever going to make this site more user friendly?) 

There is a search field on the top of the sub forum and it returned this for me without a problem:

I thought it was a nice enough movie that has tensions throughout the story, which are all positively resolved for the protagonist.  bit of a surprise ending twist, in a way if you think about how she actually grew up, but one that raises more questions than it answers in exactly how it could have possibly happened.  

and for all the seclusion, abandonment as a child, lack of education, the protagonist prevails in what seems more like fantasy than reality.  

but at least most of the film is in daylight so you can actually see what's going on.  

• Like 1