Type keyword(s) to search

Loot - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm on episode 3 and enjoying it. The premise reminds me of Mr. Mayor - extremely wealthy do-gooder thrown into public service, surrounded by odd but lovable co-workers. It also feels a bit like the Good Place.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 3

I watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed them.  I feel like comedies take a few episodes to gel and really get the feel of all of the characters.  My husband enjoyed it but he is highly sensitive to second-hand cringe and watching Molly at the press conference was hard for him. I'm definitely willing to keep watching.  And your right, I do get a little "The Good Place" vibe although I don't think Molly was ever as horrible as Elanor was at the start.  Molly's out of touch but she seems to have a good heart.

• Love 3

No, I wasn't comparing Molly to Eleanor. I just think the two shows have similar tones/vibes. Yes, I guess there is a redemption arc in Loot but, as you wrote, Molly is just out of touch yet it's made obvious from the get-go she's kind and generous.

(edited)

I don't know if resemblance to Good Place was what I was feeling from Ep 1--maybe--but I definitely felt resemblance to a whole lot of things in tone and brand of humor. The result was that even though I've never seen a show with this premise, it still felt like deja vu all over again. I would have liked this show much better in 2017. With so much competition, a show has to offer something fresh.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
(edited)

The premise of the woman running the charity telling Molly what time she will show up for an appointment and how she will live her life makes no sense to me.  Molly's existence and money is the only reason the charity exists.  Why would the person running it feel like she has free rein to call the shots and absolutely no fear that Molly would lose interest and move on?  The attitude was so strange to me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

The Hot Ones scene was brilliant.  The episodes get better as they go on.

The soundtrack is so my taste.  So much 1990s Bad Boy music and any other music that was happening at the same time.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

I too love the music. What is the name of the song that plays over the opening credits?

I have been trying to find out.  Talking to people online who are also trying to find out.  Do you find that it sounds like Will Smith?

(edited)

Opposing view here. I adore Maya Rudolph and eagerly watched several episodes. The humor and scenarios are tired and predictable. I'm puzzled why the writers gave so much time to one of the side characters in one of the episodes (the guy trying to be romantic). The charity's executive director ordering around Molly is just silly, as is just hopping on a plane at the last minute when there's a full week of work waiting. I hate the trend of filling each episode with a half-dozen songs; it seems lazy.

I think they are trying to do too much per episode, and the series isn't jelling for me.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm enjoying it too. I've liked most of Maya Rudolph's work over the years, and think this is a terrific role for her to explore some more subtle aspects of her character in addition to the "wacky comedy" schtick for which she is better known. I'm appreciating the development of the Molly/Arthur friendship/relationship, and I'm also intrigued by the connection between Howard (Ron Funches) and NIcholas (Joel Kim Booster). I'm likely biased because I adore both actors and would enjoy seeing a meaty storyline develop between their characters, but I find myself hoping Howard's encouraging efforts to support Nicholas' acting ambitions in Episode 4 will be a lead-up to something more.

• Love 5

They only thing I hate about this show is that the episodes are too short and finish way too quickly. I am really loving this show so far and want more, damn it! Molly and Arthur are too freaking cute.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

It’s VERY Good Place. I’m confused that the foundation woman called her to come in, but how were they running the foundation if she just found out about it?

They had billions of dollars, and I’m guessing her ex started the foundation and put it under her name. In later episodes she doesn’t even know most of the companies she got in the divorce. 

The head of the foundation explained that Molly was conducting herself poorly after she got her divorce and in the news drinking her life away, and it made the foundation look bad so she told her to calm it down. After that meeting, Molly realized she found her “calling” and wanted to help.

• Sad 1

Cute latest episode! I am so rooting for Molly and Arthur but I'm glad he was able to meet someone on his own.  He is so freaking sweet!! And I am glad Molly realized the truth of her old "friends." What *blanks* they are. And I laughed out loud over the guys not knowing "Jurrasic Park" was a book before it was a movie! Arthur is honestly so freaking sweet. 

Again, great episode. Sweet and funny!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 12:19 AM, Maren said:

I am liking it so far. I like that it's a serious comedy. Not mean spirited and I really enjoy all the cast. I'm glad I tried it!

This is how I feel!

On 7/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, giovannif7 said:

I'm enjoying it too. I've liked most of Maya Rudolph's work over the years, and think this is a terrific role for her to explore some more subtle aspects of her character in addition to the "wacky comedy" schtick for which she is better known. 

I was thinking similarly!

Did anyone else watch "Ben and Kate"?  That's where I know Nat Faxon the best from.  I also watched that show "Friends from College" but oh boy I soooooooo don't recommend that one.  "Ben and Kate" was uniquely sweet.  So for any fans of Arthur you might like it. But Nat has range.  He plays the opposite kind of character there.  Not evil at all, but just like a big ol dumb himbo.

If I criticize the storylines, please don't think I'm trying to be an asshole towards the show, but once again, I'm really questioning some things.  Molly taking just the women to a spa, and especially during work, was so inappropriate.  A Boys Club at work is really inappropriate, and I read a manager blog where people complain about just men at work being invited to all sorts of events.  This is really kind of the same thing.  It felt really icky.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I screamed when Arthur threw the bird painting away and the trash truck was coming. I am so invested in those two getting together. Molly needs someone sweet after her douche bag ex.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, twoods said:

Molly’s ex is a pile of shit. What a terrible narcissist. I wanted to reach through the screen and punch him in the face. Poor Molly. 

Wordy mcword word!°

I was soooo stressed that her ex was going to humiliate her or somehow cause her to humiliate herself but THANK GOODNESS this show isn't like that!! Instead, they had Molly get a win for herself, her self esteem and acknowledge her awesome team who does great work and stood by her! 

So loving this show!!

• Love 3
On 7/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did anyone else watch "Ben and Kate"?  That's where I know Nat Faxon the best from.  I also watched that show "Friends from College" but oh boy I soooooooo don't recommend that one.  "Ben and Kate" was uniquely sweet.  So for any fans of Arthur you might like it. But Nat has range.  He plays the opposite kind of character there.  Not evil at all, but just like a big ol dumb himbo.

Never watched Ben & Kate but loved him in the short-lived Married (with the ever criminally underrated Judy Greer) and a small role in the film The Way Way Back. He's also an Oscar winner, sharing the Best Adapted Screenplay award in 2012 with Alexander Payne and Jim Rash for The Descendents. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Never watched Ben & Kate but loved him in the short-lived Married (with the ever criminally underrated Judy Greer)

So that's why he is familiar to me. Another underappreciated actor.

I thought I caught a reference to The Good Place from Adam Scott- who says to Molly something to the effect of -it’s not like there’s a computer program keeping track of the good things you do-which of course there actually was in the Good Place, which Adam Scott played a demon on.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Howard needs to get out of that relationship ASAP, and I hope Nicholas can help him see the light.

I am a Molly and Aurthur fan, but Jean seems very sweet and don’t mind seeing them. How many more episodes are there this season?

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
(edited)

It’s a total of 10 episodes so 3 more.  Loving this show.  Maya Rudolph is just right.  Fantastic, wonderful supporting cast.  Can’t believe how different Olivier Martinez looks.  I’ve never seen the Arthur actor before (at least that I’m aware of) but he’s so endearing.  Another favorite of mine is watching how Sofia slowly warmed up to Molly over these episodes.  The houses and real estate are incredible!!  

Have to add two things:  it cracks me up that David Chang is her personal chef — David Chang!  What fun for him. Also just learned that the young actress who plays Aynsley is from my hometown, went to high school a mile away, graduated summa cum laude, has been a theater actress since she was about 8, and has won all kinds of awards. Very cool.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
(edited)

I saved up 2 episodes to watch them back to back and it was extremely pleasant.  20 minutes is so short, especially after a week's wait.

I keep hoping that Ben will show up and he did.  I thought the scene was very good.  Not surprised that Adam Scott is so good at being an asshole - we've all seen Step Brothers - but it was nice for Maya to get such a good dramatic scene.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, bilgistic said:

I hollered at him because he could resell that painting!

The people who write for this show are definitely writing for characters who don't think about money like we do, LOL.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:01 AM, twoods said:

Molly’s ex is a pile of shit. What a terrible narcissist. I wanted to reach through the screen and punch him in the face. Poor Molly. 

Do we think that he was telling the truth about the award?  Whether he lied or told the truth, he gets the same result.  It's kinda genius.

I wasn't exactly blown away by Joel Kim Booster in "Fire Island" - though I'm super impressed that he wrote it.  I like him better here.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I love this show. Not a lot of chatter about it, but it's so good. And the cast is so good! Even when the characters are kind of trope-y like Nicholas, Joel Kim Booster makes him funny with his delivery and expressions. And Michaela Rodriguez has come a really long way since those first episodes of Pose.

Also I don't know who the music supervisor is on this show but I want them to score my life.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I loved Ben & Kate. It was my intro to Nat Faxon (as well as Dakota Johnson, who unfortunately hasn't held on to my fandom since then, lol). But if you see it streaming anywhere, it's well worth watching.

• Love 5

It was nice to see a storyline about Molly’s family. Did it ever mention where her parents are? 
Arthur and Nicholas’s eavesdropping  about Sofia’s love life was hilarious. Missed the Nicholas and Howard bromance but I get they are on the outs for now so I have to be patient.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, twoods said:

It was nice to see a storyline about Molly’s family. Did it ever mention where her parents are? 

Did we know before this episode that Molly and Howard are related? It was a surprise to me. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LizDC said:

Did we know before this episode that Molly and Howard are related? It was a surprise to me. 

It was mentioned in the first episode that they’re cousins.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I enjoyed the season, but it’s a fluffy “hooker with a heart of gold” theme. It’s a 1-1/2 hour romantic comedy not a multi-season arc. I’m not interested in cliffhangers or relationship hurdles in S2.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

He's also in a minor role on The Connors.  Not to sound shallow- but I'm going to sound shallow.  His teeth have bothered me since the first moment I saw him and I can't get over it.  I am not saying I want all actors to have those capped fake teeth, but I have a thing about teeth in general so his really turn me off.  I can never get on-board with him as a romantic interest because of it.

Besides that, I am enjoying the show.  I love me some Ron Funches.  It's a bit different than I thought it would be, based on the premise.  I thought there would be a lot more instances of Molly being really out of touch since she's so rich. There's some, but I thought they would be more.  I am glad it's settling a bit and she is actually human.  It's not like she was always that rich, so those characters never made sense to me on TV and in movies.  I think this is more realistic, honestly. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Not to sound shallow- but I'm going to sound shallow.  His teeth have bothered me since the first moment I saw him and I can't get over it.  I am not saying I want all actors to have those capped fake teeth, but I have a thing about teeth in general so his really turn me off.  I can never get on-board with him as a romantic interest because of it.

You're not alone...his teeth bother me too.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Molly basically hit the lottery ($86B is a LOT of money).  She didn't create a family trust or anything? A scholarship fund? I know if's funnier if she waltzes in to her broken-tabled relatives, but maybe just a smidgen of guilt?  Some self reflection?

• Love 3
21 hours ago, MartyQui said:

You're not alone...his teeth bother me too.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Molly basically hit the lottery ($86B is a LOT of money).  She didn't create a family trust or anything? A scholarship fund? I know if's funnier if she waltzes in to her broken-tabled relatives, but maybe just a smidgen of guilt?  Some self reflection?

It seems they don't want her money, though, based on the reaction to the new table.  But, I agree with you.  Even if she just now got the money from the divorce settlement, wouldn't/couldn't she have done all that before? That is so much money that she could help out every single member of her extended family for generations. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2