Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E02: Auditions Show 2

• Start Topic

The second round of auditions begins on the hit dance competition series SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, as highly skilled dancers between the ages of 18 and 30 showcase their talents in various dance styles, including contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation, breaking and more. Those who are selected to move on to the SYTYCD studio will work with world-renowned choreographers and compete each week in a variety of styles, with brand-new twists and turns introduced into the competition.

Airdate: 05/25/2022

Was pleased to see a majority of older dancers. Also, did any of you catch JoJo's statement, about dance being so much more than how high one can lift one's leg? I think we now know why Nigel is off the panel.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8

Welcome to 'So you think you can choreograph' where people get criticized for missing opportunities in their choreography.

I thought the krunking teacher was better than the guy in heels (although the heels were impressive). I thought they both should have gone home.

I wish they had spent less time on the couple. [ We're a couple! Boom! Done. ] Their dancing was fun, but I wonder if Lord Finn has cross trained since his last time here.

Some of the other accepted routines looked interesting. I wish we had saved time to see them.

• Love 3

I very much wish they would stop cutting to the judges reaction faces every 3 seconds. I can *hear* JoJos HEY! and Matthews Wows! What I can't hear is the dancers. I actually need to see them dance. Cause it's dance.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, hiisa said:

I very much wish they would stop cutting to the judges reaction faces every 3 seconds. I can *hear* JoJos HEY! and Matthews Wows! What I can't hear is the dancers. I actually need to see them dance. Cause it's dance.

I’ve always wondered why they do that for the audition rounds. Does it have something to do with the choreography, as it’s not choreographers contracted by the show? Who knows what great (or not so great) piece of dance we miss by seeing the judges faces. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Mason said:

Was pleased to see a majority of older dancers. Also, did any of you catch JoJo's statement, about dance being so much more than how high one can lift one's leg? I think we now know why Nigel is off the panel.

I agree with JoJo that dance is more than how high one can lift one's leg.  JoJo's statement was made after the guy dancing with heels.  One thing that I didn't like about Nigel is that he always wanted all the men to dance masculine.  He was really harsh to guys like this auditioner.  However, like others have mentioned, I wouldn't have let him go through.  Yes, dance is more than just technique but when it's an audition, you have to show some technique.  At my age and my injuries, I can't do stuff that I used to do.  But I can still strut around in high heels and act.

Nigel was probably let go because of ageism.  He truly loved dance and I'm grateful that he brought SYTYCD on TV.  I was afraid that we've seen the last of it two years ago. 

I remember the bone breaker.  From what I remembered, he was good at what he did but it was more like a circus freak show act.  This time, he can still bone break but he showed more versatility like the Chicago footwork.  He also showed humor and performance.  His girlfriend was good too. Not sure how they'll do in choreography but I enjoyed what they did during auditions.

• Love 3

I’m not a fan of the audition rounds so far. Lots and lots of backstory, a couple of auditions, and a minute of “these people made it through too” don’t make for a good show. Save the backstories for the people who make it to the live shows.

Also, the teacher who krumps: man, I think it was a mistake for him to choose that particular song (“Outta Your Mind”), especially for this show and especially in front of tWitch, who partnered with Alex on this song in one of the show’s most iconic routines. Watching this audition (twice) I just couldn’t get that other performance out of my head.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I’m not a fan of the audition rounds so far. Lots and lots of backstory, a couple of auditions, and a minute of “these people made it through too” don’t make for a good show. Save the backstories for the people who make it to the live shows.

Also, the teacher who krumps: man, I think it was a mistake for him to choose that particular song (“Outta Your Mind”), especially for this show and especially in front of tWitch, who partnered with Alex on this song in one of the show’s most iconic routines. Watching this audition (twice) I just couldn’t get that other performance out of my head.

Was thinking the same thing with choosing the "Outta Your Mind " and in front of Twitch.  It is one of my favorite routines and truly represented what SYTYCD is all about.  Having a ballet dancer (since the show has you choose a specialty) excel in a hip-hop routine. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

tWitch, who partnered with Alex on this song in one of the show’s most iconic routines.

I still watch the video on YouTube occasionally. My fav routine ever. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I still watch the video on YouTube occasionally. My fav routine ever. 

I do too! There are several routines I re-watch a lot from the early seasons, but that one is definitely at the top of my list.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not watching the packages during auditions so no comments there.

Lord Finn: Don't remember if I've expressed an opinion on bone breaking before, but watching it here, I just didn't like the aesthetic. The way those limbs move is just not for me.

Brianna: Just meh at the routine.

Montaged dancers Jordin and Shafar: Seem like fodder from the brief glimpses, or maybe they'll turn out shockingly versatile.

Carter: His partner seemed stronger, but again... montaged. Who knows.

Keaton: I love that he's so powerful, but totally generic routine.

Alexis: Seems strong.

Beau: C'mon.

Jermaine: I thought he was pretty good, but I do think the routine was meh again.

Zyiasia: I'm just done with "contemporary".

Oh, also skipped the judges comments or if any of these people even went through, so... yay.

Edited by displayname
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Sorry, but no way Beau should have made it to choreography. My 11 year old has a musical theater solo that’s about three times more technically difficult and she performs. It is a travesty that he would take a spot away from someone who actually has a shot at a career in dance. To be clear- this has nothing to do with his size. He isn’t a good dancer.

• Love 6

Keaton dances so heavy. He is powerful and is very flexible for his size, but he is no Patrick Swayze. 

Jermaine the krumping teacher was charming, but he wasn’t a good krumper.

Zyiasia was fine, but no better than most of the kids you see at competitions.

I would like to see some people without backstories. Just dancers. 

• Love 5
On 5/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, realdancemom said:

I agree with JoJo that dance is more than how high one can lift one's leg.  JoJo's statement was made after the guy dancing with heels.  One thing that I didn't like about Nigel is that he always wanted all the men to dance masculine.  He was really harsh to guys like this auditioner.  However, like others have mentioned, I wouldn't have let him go through.  Yes, dance is more than just technique but when it's an audition, you have to show some technique.  At my age and my injuries, I can't do stuff that I used to do.  But I can still strut around in high heels and act.

Nigel was probably let go because of ageism.  He truly loved dance and I'm grateful that he brought SYTYCD on TV.  I was afraid that we've seen the last of it two years ago. 

I remember the bone breaker.  From what I remembered, he was good at what he did but it was more like a circus freak show act.  This time, he can still bone break but he showed more versatility like the Chicago footwork.  He also showed humor and performance.  His girlfriend was good too. Not sure how they'll do in choreography but I enjoyed what they did during auditions.

My point being, Nigel would have done everything possible to ensure the Beaus of the competition had their moment but no further. JoJo's comment said to me that we're okay with lowering standards on occasion if it means we come across as inclusive. I've never had a seat on the Nigel bandwagon; but I can see top brass saying "we've done it your way for 16 seasons, and our ratings aren't what they could be if we loosened our standards a little." Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if the new way is paying off either. (Early days, of course.)     

• Love 6
On 5/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mason said:

My point being, Nigel would have done everything possible to ensure the Beaus of the competition had their moment but no further. JoJo's comment said to me that we're okay with lowering standards on occasion if it means we come across as inclusive. I've never had a seat on the Nigel bandwagon; but I can see top brass saying "we've done it your way for 16 seasons, and our ratings aren't what they could be if we loosened our standards a little." Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if the new way is paying off either. (Early days, of course.)     

Honestly.......guy in heels should never have gotten through. He has no shot as "America's Favorite Dancer". Take a look at the winners of each season and he does not measure up to their talent.....at all. Nigel would never have put him through.

• Love 4
(edited)

This may make sense to only me, because I watch dance for what I like but have no technical knowledge of anything. But when Keaton would do a move, and to a lesser extent Zyiasia, their movement kept going once they completed the move. It was like Keaton would do something cool and then stop, after he did the cool thing you could see his feet or his legs continue flexing.  Like I said, this is hard for me to explain without knowing anything.

I was really rooting for Jermaine because Sodus is a tiny little dot of a rural town in a rural area.  

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Totally agree that the krumping teacher hurt his chances by picking that song. Anyone who remembered Twitch and Alex’s routine would immediately call to mind the amazing energy they brought to it, where as the teacher was a little underwhelming, like it just didn’t take off as much as I hoped. He seems like an awesome teacher though. 
I don’t hate Jojo but I do miss Nigel. Hopefully they’ll bring in someone credible and related to SYTYCD to replace Matthew. 

• Love 3

I live next door to Kennesaw and over half of those shots were of downtown Marietta Square. Why do shows do this? It annoys me. I realize that has nothing to do with the musical theater dude from Kennesaw. It's just a pet peeve. 

• Love 1
On 5/31/2022 at 7:06 AM, mojoween said:

This may make sense to only me, because I watch dance for what I like but have no technical knowledge of anything. But when Keaton would do a move, and to a lesser extent Zyiasia, their movement kept going once they completed the move. It was like Keaton would do something cool and then stop, after he did the cool thing you could see his feet or his legs continue flexing.  Like I said, this is hard for me to explain without knowing anything.

I was really rooting for Jermaine because Sodus is a tiny little dot of a rural town in a rural area.  

You explained it well. They were dancing, not merely executing moves or stunts, which to me separates dancers from those who dance. 

• Love 1

Love Twitch but miss Mary and Nigel. Somehow the show lost some authenticity and professionalism without them especially since they were replaced with one judge who IMO is too young and another without enough expertise. Bringing on JoJo might have been fine as an addition to a team that still included Nigel, Mary and Twitch. She was way too hyper, loud and talked too much and for some reason seems to be taking on the role of head judge.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, hula-la said:

You explained it well. They were dancing, not merely executing moves or stunts, which to me separates dancers from those who dance. 

Great sentiment. Thank you!

• Love 1