Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Yachtie or Nice

• Start Topic

Jason's investigation of the deck team presents him with a difficult decision; Magda finds herself in hot water when she gets caught on the phone again; charter guests request a holiday party that calls for Culver and Aesha to dress up.

Highly staged confrontations, Benny telling Jaime that giving orders and direction is intimidation.  Again Benny is encouraged to be openly defiant of his supposed superior.

Jaime goes to Jason, says he's had it with Benny but Jason won't back up his bosun, says he has to hear Benny's side and also get opinions of other deck crew.

First of all, Benny was back talking to his direct boss Jaime, the same way Ryan was dismissive of Jason, the supposed top boss on the boat.  Jason is itching to get rid of Ryan but he wants to give Benny a chance?

The whole chain of command and insubordination talk on the other BD shows is completely missing on BDDU.  They might as well not have any titles or roles.  Everyone is an equal cast member on this TV show which is supposedly about a yacht crew.

The producers aren't going to let the supposed bosses fire or discipline any other cast members.  If they do, they're going to have all these convos talking about it endlessly.  They all must know that because the bosses are kind of gun shy too while the insubordinate slackers are bold and blatantly defiant of their supposed superiors.

It also seems like Culver and Brittini don't want to throw Benny under the bus, even though Benny put Culver in danger with the jet ski crane and tried to make more work for Brittini with the encouragement of the guests to stay up late fishing.

Instead Brittini says Jaime is to blame for not telling Benny that he moved her to nights because he wasn't finishing his tasks.

BTW, that's all Jaime has to say to Jason, not just the insubordination and defiance part, which Jason says is a personality conflict.  Jaime should have told Jason that Benny repeatedly won't finish his tasks during his shift, leaving work for the others and that he was taking selfies when he was suppose to be driving the tender.

He should also ask Jason, "aren't you sick of Benny repeatedly playing the dead parents card whenever he gets into trouble?"

Magda's turnaround is short-lived.  First chance she gets, she has to message or call her boyfriend again.  Why she go all the way around the world if he's so precious?  She should have gone for BDM, to be close by.  Her friend was right to call her a psychopath, the way she's so jealous and suspicious.

For all we know, women aren't throwing themselves all the time at him and it's just Magda being paranoid.  Or playing up a fake story line for the cameras.

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

Strange episode with the Christmas theme. That season has never been my favorite, even in cold climates. Couldn't wait for them to be done with it. It was fun to see all the baby pictures of the crew though. Aesha was super cute as a toddler. Looks just like her mom.

Normally, I'd think Bravo was trying to fake us out with the end teasers, but I remember Jason saying a couple of shows ago that, " I've decided to let you go"  Seems logical that it's going to be Benny, but I wouldn't rule out chef either.  Jason was probably stewing (and rightly so) with the disrepect he got from chef during their initial "talk" a few episodes ago.

Brittini made me chuckle when she laid out the path for her and Culver to eventually have sex. I think she scared him off for good. Don't know what it is, but I don't find her the least bit attractive. 

• Love 4

Is anyone else bothered by the furniture on this boat, it is such a hodge podge of fabric and patterns, like left over stuff from other yachts, I really do not like it.  The leather ottoman with the polished cotton striped couch next to what looks like a different color chenille couch, how has it not been mentioned?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I’m sorry but unless we are not seeing everything Benny is a hazard to the crew and the vessel. I’m a boater and I’ve seen him do so many dangerous things (not wearing a kill switch on the tender. Yikes! You NEVER leave the wheel, one wave and he could have been thrown from the boat not only risking his own life but the tender would be running loose and unmanned . 😳) Jason is the captain and he should be listening to his boson about the issues that are dangerous. Forget the disrespectful back talk to his “superior”. He is a major accident waiting to happen!!! 

• Like 1
  • Love 12

So there is someone else who can drive the tender.  Jason can go ahead and fire Benny.  He does seem to have a very formal approach to discipline - on the previous episode he gave Jamie an official verbal warning, this one he had another department head present when discussing a crewman's poor performance.

When I have had employees like Benny, you put them under close supervision - stay by their side the whole shift.  It is not fun.

• Love 6

Unless it's a fake out, I'm going to guess Captain Jason goes through with firing Benny. And I think he be happy he did so after seeing all of Benny's behavior (the selfies in the tender, half assing his assigned duties, the blatant insubordination). Too bad we don't get reunions for Peacock shows.

Did Ryan actually refer to himself as attractive? Yeah, no.  Love that Captain Jason isn't snowed by his sudden 180.  Ryan's obviously just waiting until the heat is off him to return to prick mode. 

Magda's also pretty damn high on herself for someone who's barely treading water. 

• Love 9
23 hours ago, meep.meep said:

on the previous episode he gave Jamie an official verbal warning,

I think Jaime will be fired. Doesn't make sense, but they seem to be setting him up, and I think part of his attitude is based on him realizing he's the fall guy. He's barely controlling his resentment.

Maybe production doesn't like him. Maybe production wants a firing and it will be based on who's available as a replacement.

I'm so disappointed in the Down Under series. I'd hoped for better. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now I don't watch any of the BD franchise.)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, snarts said:

Magda's also pretty damn high on herself for someone who's barely treading water. 

It is always the one who is doing the worst job is the one complaining the most about their boss...and that complainer is Magda and she is not a good stew. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 5/20/2022 at 5:31 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Is anyone else bothered by the furniture on this boat, it is such a hodge podge of fabric and patterns, like left over stuff from other yachts, I really do not like it.  The leather ottoman with the polished cotton striped couch next to what looks like a different color chenille couch, how has it not been mentioned?

I was noticing myself just how obtrusively ugly and mismatched it all was.  Like the kind of stuff you buy for your teenage college kid for their first apartment OR the junk you hide away in one's finished basement game room.  It's rugged enough to withstand a lot of physical abuse, and ugly dark enough to cover up tons of stains.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 2:49 PM, snarts said:

Unless it's a fake out, I'm going to guess Captain Jason goes through with firing Benny. And I think he be happy he did so after seeing all of Benny's behavior (the selfies in the tender, half assing his assigned duties, the blatant insubordination). Too bad we don't get reunions for Peacock shows.

Did Ryan actually refer to himself as attractive? Yeah, no.  Love that Captain Jason isn't snowed by his sudden 180.  Ryan's obviously just waiting until the heat is off him to return to prick mode. 

Am I the only one who finds her facially ugly AF?  That ugly ass, entitled, conceited, co-dependent, disrespectful, backstabbing personality of hers doesn't help.  She's so masculine looking.  How this girl can think as highly of herself as she clearly does boggles my mind.  Every other word out of her mouth is that everything is "because I'm a model."  I really do like Tumi and can totally see her being an amazing chief stew.  Brittini without makeup is facially adorable with her dash of freckles.  Kind of like a girl next door.  But I find her body to be odd-shaped.  I despise chef and Benny's piss-poor attitudes.  He's totally abusing the death of his parents excuse for being such a disobedient delicate little flower.  I'm sorry he lost them, but I honestly believe he was as insubordinate to higher-ups even before they passed.  The guy just doesn't like to obey orders or follow instructions.  He's said how he's only there to have a good time.  When someone tells you who they are, believe them.

Edited by Xebug67
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

Xebug, I am with you. I said in an earlier episode thread that I do not think Magda is attractive at all. I just don't get it. And Benny really shouldn't have taken this "job" so close to when his parents died. Either that or not use it as an excuse. The two of them and Ryan are the worst. 

• Love 7

If Ryan were smart, he'd cry to Captain Jason about the loss of his father.  Then Jason would give him 10,000 more chances to do better like he has with Benny.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 5/23/2022 at 3:05 AM, Xebug67 said:

I was noticing myself just how obtrusively ugly and mismatched it all was.  Like the kind of stuff you buy for your teenage college kid for their first apartment OR the junk you hide away in one's finished basement game room.  It's rugged enough to withstand a lot of physical abuse, and ugly dark enough to cover up tons of stains.

Internal decoration is awful! It is like if a  couple without the slightest taste, won 100mil in the lottery, bought the boat and decorated it with expensive stuff to show off to their still poor neighbors, like golden taps and gold picture frames. So ugly! I would ask my money back for the decoration only.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Benny has to go.  The tender incident alone would be enough, but he's demonstrated his incompetence several times previously.  No matter what he does wrong he just won't admit he's at fault.  

Aesha and the phone thing with Magda -- Sorry, Aesha, but you're starting to come off a bit power mad.  It's one thing to tell those who work for you what to do as regards their jobs, etc. But to tell someone not to use their phone in their off time -- a bit excessively authoritarian.

"Entertainment Officer" Culver is getting more annoying,

Magda's "friend" Paulina messaged her that she thinks Magda is a psycopath.  What should we do -- congratulate her on her remarkable perceptivity?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Magda's "friend" Paulina messaged her that she thinks Magda is a psycopath.  What should we do -- congratulate her on her remarkable perceptivity?

I think Paulina is not really Magda's friend.

The panic of her not being able to find her phone was very strange, like melt down panic.  I get wanting not wanting to lose your phone but she was at some level I don't know what to call it, maybe addiction? 

Aesha should have been mad at Magda's middle of the night phone call, it affected her so she had every right to let her know that the constant phone usage was a problem.  Using up so much data might be a problem for the boat in expense and taking up data the boat needs for radar or other communications so the Captain needed to say something about Magda's phone usage.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Good Lord, if I spoke to my boss the way Benny spoke to Jamie I'd be fired instantly.  What an arrogant d-bag (Benny, obviously).  Props to Jamie for not decking that deckhand.

Becoming less and less a fan of Captain Jason and his people skills -- or lack thereof.  

And Brittini practically institutes a mutiny by having the crew all talk behind Jamie's back?  They all want to be "led" in a certain touchy-feely-everyone-gets-a-trophy way but don't understand that, on a boat, you can't just do what you want to do.  There's a hierarchy at sea for a reason -- it's a dangerous place and crew have to do their jobs correctly whether they want to or not.

For a drinking game this episode, take a shot every time you hear "intimidate" or "intimidation".  If you want to die quickly of alcohol poisoning, add the word "communication".

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2022 at 3:08 PM, aqusdealer said:

Brittini made me chuckle when she laid out the path for her and Culver to eventually have sex. I think she scared him off for good. Don't know what it is, but I don't find her the least bit attractive. 

How to put this discretely? In the world of adulting, there is a way to get around that problem. 😉

On 6/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Using up so much data might be a problem for the boat in expense and taking up data the boat needs for radar or other communications so the Captain needed to say something about Magda's phone usage.

I'm very illiterate on these things, but isn't there some way you could set a limit on how much data Magda uses?  When she hits that she's shut down until the next scheduled recharge.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Frankly, I’m on Jamie’s side and very disappointed in Captain Jason for not backing him up.  Benny knows he can manipulate the Captain & the difference between the way he was with Ryan ( who disrespected HIM ) & Benny was annoying to me.  My feeling is that Jason doesn’t like Jamie ( is it because he’s just sad cute as Jason?) and is not giving him any grace.  Jamie isn’t warm and fuzzy but he does seem to know the deck - management is just not his strong suit. Also,he doesn’t have a very strong, knowledgeable crew and they don’t take criticism very well.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Jaime has zero managerial skills and that was proven by having Brittini make up for Benny's shortcomings and having no problem in reprimanding her when he doesn't do that with Benny.  I can't believe the levels of disdain shown by Benny, Ryan, Jaime and Magda.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, mytmo said:

Jaime has zero managerial skills and that was proven by having Brittini make up for Benny's shortcomings and having no problem in reprimanding her when he doesn't do that with Benny.  I can't believe the levels of disdain shown by Benny, Ryan, Jaime and Magda.  

I so wanted to like Jaime, as he is easy on the eyes.  With that being said, his management skills are lacking.  He definitely has a double standard, not sure how aware he is of it or not, but he totally pulled it with the female guests.  Men can be pigs at times.

But the whole Bitch thing was not handled well.  Then his response to a drink accidentally spilled on him was way wrong.  She meant nothing by it but he acted as though she threw the drink in his face.  He does need counselling to manage his over the top responses.

Telling Culver, the captain has put a target on his back was a terrible representation of what Captain actually said.  And of course, Culver took offense to it and acted out.  Like a 2-year-old.  Not sure why Jamie said it that way.  Either he was trying to get a rise out of Culver or he really thought that is what Captain meant.  Both are disturbing.

I loved this crew once they got rid of the 2 degenerates and the last charter they all seemed to come together.  

This episode really pissed me off. I'm so sick of these entitled little brats who think they deserve to be coddled and praised at every turn. And it's not limited to this show either, it seems to be a generational thing IMO. Yes, Jamie is a humorless stick in the mud, but I've never seen him act intimidating to Benny or anyone else. I can't imagine talking back to my boss and telling him he will stop acting a certain way unless I was prepared to walk out the door for good. These people have no idea what it's like to have a real job and an actual tough boss.

And I don't understand why Brittini and Culver threw Jamie under the bus when confronted by Jason over this when both have had issues with Benny absent Jamie's presence: the crane thing with Culver and the fishing thing with Brittini. And the meeting with Benny, Jason and Jamie was awkward as hell. Why didn't Jamie point out that Benny won't even let him finish a sentence without interrupting to complain and backtalk? Or tell Jason about the incident where Benny was taking selfies on the tender? Or the myriad other things he's done wrong?

How is this simply a communications issue, and what does that even mean? What exactly is Jamie supposed to do? Kiss Benny's ass and say "Oh, Benny honey, pretty pretty please with sugar on top, will you do your job? Oh, what a good boy, what a pretty pretty boy you are you dear sweet little thing! Thank you so ever much for doing your job"?

Bottom line, Benny just doesn't want to be told what to do, exactly as Jamie said. And if you tell him he did something wrong he thinks it's "intimidation." 

In other news, it would totally suck to charter a yacht and have it rain all day. And that was some weird S&M Santa's reindeer shit with Aesha.

Slight off-topic: Bravolebrities? OMG.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Bottom line, Benny just doesn't want to be told what to do, exactly as Jamie said. And if you tell him he did something wrong he thinks it's "intimidation." 

I just read elsewhere that Benny's 34 years old. Based on his behavior, I thought he was probably about 22. At 34 . . . sheesh . . .  I have no words.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And I don't understand why Brittini and Culver threw Jamie under the bus when confronted by Jason over this when both have had issues with Benny absent Jamie's presence: the crane thing with Culver and the fishing thing with Jamie. And the meeting with Benny, Jason and Jamie was awkward as hell. Why didn't Jamie point out that Benny won't even let him finish a sentence without interrupting to complain and backtalk? Or tell Jason about the incident where Benny was taking selfies on the tender? Or the myriad other things he's done wrong?

This part!  I just don't understand why Brittini and Culver weren't more upfront about Benny's work ethic and insubordination.  And Jamie himself didn't mention a fraction of the examples he could have- he needs to make a list of them next time, since he's often shown making lists of duties to be accomplished.  But, then for Brittini and Culver to get together with Benny to discuss Jamie's shortcomings is another level.  I'm worried that Captain Jason is going to terminate Jamie for his communication skills, rather than Benny for his....everything.  I feel like Jason hasn't liked Jamie from the start.  Is production editing this mess so that it makes no sense at all?

• Like 2

Jamie is maybe the first BD franchise bosun who seems to find lists useful right off the bat. But it looks like he just writes them in his "magic book" as we used to call them, and reads them off to his staff - doesn't even leave them the lists?

We always had a deck log. We wrote any kind of relevant info in it, including a list of tasks to accomplish on the watch, any significant events that happened on your watch, etc. So at any point during their watch if the deckhands thought they had run out of tasks, they could return to the deck log, and check items off as they completed them. Anything not finished was passed on to the next watch. As bosun, I checked it every watch for accountability, as well as attending at least one watch change per day - they were 12 hour watches. But also, there are a TON of tasks on a boat that are daily tasks, especially when you're underway or at anchor, and we had laminated checklists for those things.

I had several Benny-type deckhands quit on me, all after I had tried more positive communication styles on them and then given up and become more direct and matter-of-fact. One (on watch) put the gangway out in the middle of the night and left without telling anyone except her deck partner, and one (off watch) came up on deck as we were docking, tossed his duffel bag onto the dock and then jumped across before we could even get the gangway over. Thankfully, my chief mate backed me up in both cases, because they witnessed some of my conversations with these deckhands. That's what's missing from these shows: the chief mate is behind the scenes, when he normally would be the bosun's direct supervisor.

So... my experience of trying to motivate and manage folks who seemed to need more positivity, even voiced that to me, didn't respond to that, either. This whole idea of "understand peoples' personalities and work with 'em" might be fine when you have a psychology degree or 20 years of management experience, but for a bosun who doesn't have a lot of people management experience (which included me) it doesn't work, and the captain shouldn't expect it.

But in the end, it's a job. And yeah, you can have fun on the job, but you still have to DO THE JOB.

Also, the guest who said "I'm definitely taking that chef home" -- I wish she would! And after Ryan dropped the dessert off and announced it, he... gave himself a weird little clap?

• Useful 1