Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Friend Or Foe

• Start Topic

And another season is in the books! Season Finale, airing May 19, 2022:

As Stabler confronts the truth about his father, he unknowingly affects his situation with the Brotherhood. Langan asks a favor. The task force works to track down Webb, who's gone off the grid. Donnelly will stop at nothing to ensure he isn't caught.

• Useful 2

This was a good season finale - it did a nice job of tying up all of the loose ends of the storylines and bringing them to a close.

I knew Donnelly was going to die, he wouldn’t let himself go to prison, he was a compelling character and I bought how Stabler felt guilty about what he did even though he did a good thing in bringing Donnelly and his crew down.

I guess Nova’s brother killed Preston Webb?

I loved seeing Cragen show up at the medal ceremony for Stabler!! That was great, I had no idea he would make a cameo and he’s a beloved character who is sorely missed on SVU. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I thought the implication was that Nova did it. But I was confused when Webb's wife said Nova was his daughter?

Also loved seeing Cragen! And I felt bad for Ayanna when she got home and realized Denise was gone.....even though I saw that coming a mile away.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Toonces464 said:
7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I thought the implication was that Nova did it.

Yeah...he didn't know about Gowanus Canal.  She did.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

But I was confused when Webb's wife said Nova was his daughter?

I think she just meant that he feels so close to Nova, like she was his daughter. Too bad. I think it's the "he would never leave a daughter without her father" that pushed Nova into killing him (since, of course, he did just that (by killing her actual father)). BTW, ditto on Nova being the killer. Probably why she turned in her badge and got out of town.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

And I felt bad for Ayanna when she got home and realized Denise was gone.....even though I saw that coming a mile away.

Yes, it was obvious throughout the season that it was leading up to this.

Agree about Nova killing Webb though at first I did wonder about her brother but when they were on the bus, it became obvious that Nova did it.  Also agree that Donnelly wasn't going to jail.  I don't understand why he just didn't get his wife and kid and leave town though.

It was good seeing Cragen.

I hope Stabler can put what his father did behind him.  He'll have more things to worry about next season since a lot of cops will view him as a traitor.  It'll be interesting to see how cases with and the task force work going forward.  This was a decent season especially once they got away from the lingering messiness of last season.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

This was a decent season especially once they got away from the lingering messiness of last season.

Yes, I was growing weary of the Richard Wheatley thing.  The infiltration of the Albanian crime family was interesting and the complex loyalties and betrayals within the Brotherhood was compelling too.

Denis Leary is a good actor.  I remember him back from his MTV promo days where he was smoking a cigarette and quipping some sarcastic line in that MTV spot.  How long ago was that?

Edited by SWLinPHX
  • Love 2

I liked the finale.

The Brotherhood arc was actually pretty good. I had stopped watching for awhile when they brought back Wheatley, but this brought me back in. Leary did a good job. Frank dying in the end seemed right for the character. I can't see Frank submitting himself to arrest and the legal system. Also, this gives the arc a clean break and we can move on to a new crime ring in the fall. The show does better when it moves onto a different organization every 5-6 episodes. So with Frank very clearly dead, at least we know they won't make him the new Wheatley.

So Nova killed Webb. I wonder if they are planning on exploring that further, or if we have seen the end of Nova since she is no longer a cop.

Finally, after all the mentions of Stabler on SVU this week I was pleasantly surprised there were no Benson mentions this week. I was afraid SVU was preparing us for some more Benson/Stabler drama.

• Love 6
(edited)
20 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Or, was it Nova? Seems odd she would turn in her badge and leave town.

8 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

It was good seeing Cragen.

Yes, and NOT St. Olivia, although I was thinking she'd pop her smugness into the mix.

Also, how dumb was the sergeant's partner? She was warned multiple times about what was happening and still took the job. Then bolts when all the warnings actually happen.

This one was 1000 times better than the Wheatley fiasco. 

ETA: By my standards, that's three cartoon criminals ended by OC; Wheatley, Donnelly, and Webb.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, The Bullpen said:

How exactly was Stabler's cover blown?  Did the guy in the beginning of the episode just get a hunch about him?

The guy in the beginning, Gus, was Stabler's dad's old partner. Stabler asked him about the circumstances around his dad's Combat Cross in an earlier episode and if I remember right made it clear he heard that it was staged from Frank Donnelly. Coming back and confronting Gus about being crooked and a liar and telling him "I'm doing my job" must have made it clear to Gus that Stabler was an honest cop investigating corrupt cops and, being in the Brotherhood, he had to be doing so to bring them down.

Unless I missed something, it seems like a little bit of a leap for Gus to go straight to calling Donnelly and telling him that Stabler is undercover with 100% certainty, but that seems to be what happened.

As for the rest of the episode, I think they made it clear that Nova was the one who killed Webb. I agree with illdoc above stating that Cassandra's line about Webb not wanting to leave his "daughter" without a father pushing her over the edge. That was actually one thing that felt rushed to me. It was just in the previous episode that Nova's brother Derrick confronted Webb with a gun accusing him of murdering their father. I don't think that Nova shooting her brother in the leg (or wherever she shot him) should have immediately cleared her of all suspicion in Webb's mind. I really don't feel the scene accomplished much.

I'm also curious as to how Nova can simply turn in her badge and leave town. Certainly she's going to have to testify against, at the very least, Cassandra Webb and Leon Kilbride, no? If they already know Cassandra didn't kill her husband, they have to look into who did, right? I'd hope to see this addressed in early Season 3, but it also seems as though they wanted everything wrapped up so they can start anew this fall. Who knows?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, The Bullpen said:

How exactly was Stabler's cover blown?  Did the guy in the beginning of the episode just get a hunch about him?

The old guy was his father's former partner who he went to see a few episodes back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, The Bullpen said:

During their first conversation his attitude showed what went down although I think he would've kept his mouth shut if Stabler hadn't confronted him about it. Have to wonder if Stabler poked the bear on purpose to see what he would do or knew he would let Donnelly know to force his hand. Donelly's widow and other spouses could be an issue next year. Same for the cop who let Donnelly know where the road blocks were.

This could be subplot for next year that can be wrapped when ever they want because opened a can of worms telling the framed kid's father his son was framed so will the bosses come down on it for him or in the time of woke the father gets a check no questions asked.

Stabler meeting the Brotherhood at the house alone was risky stupid. I thought when the guy shot him in the vest he was in on it working with Stabler. What if the guy got a head shot in which is what an angry person might do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Great finale, love it!

Am sure Nova killed Preston Webb. Other than Cassandra, she’s the only one who knew about Gowanus Canal. Am glad that Nova managed to get out of this UC alive, unlike Gina (Wheatley’s case CI). With Preston dead and Nova gone, what happens to the rest of Marcy Killer gang?

Jennifer Beals was underused in this arc. Cassandra could have played more significant roles than her husband.

Elliot was shot multiple times during the “extermination” but no fractured ribs? Then he went on full vigilante shortly after that?

Will Elliot be taking a break from going UC again? This Brotherhood UC definitely has messed up his head quite a bit.

I hope Ayanna/Denise’s marital problem will not be too consuming in next season. Will we see Kilbride again?

3 hours ago, The Bullpen said:

Papa Stabler’s old partner (Gus) called Donnelly and warned him about Elliot not being “one of them”.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Great finale, love it!

Am sure Nova killed Preston Webb. Other than Cassandra, she’s the only one who knew about Gowanus Canal. Am glad that Nova managed to get out of this UC alive, unlike Gina (Wheatley’s case CI).

Yep, I really didn't expect Nova to survive the season.  In fact, I was rather shocked that her brother didn't blow her cover to Webb when she shot him in the leg! 

On 5/20/2022 at 12:07 PM, milkyaqua said:

Also agree that Donnelly wasn't going to jail.  I don't understand why he just didn't get his wife and kid and leave town though.

Hubris. Had to get revenge on Stabler, especially since I think Stabler actually fooled him into believing he was one of them. Since Frank brought him into the Brotherhood, he would feel obligated to take him out.  Remember, he and his family were just about to leave when Gus called!

Stepping in front of the train though...not even looking at it??  Hard A. F.!  But no screeching train brakes?  The engineer most certainly saw him!

• Love 5
On 5/21/2022 at 5:04 PM, The Wild Sow said:

Stepping in front of the train though...not even looking at it??  Hard A. F.!  But no screeching train brakes?  The engineer most certainly saw him!

I have heard enough horror stories regarding people and trains, and the predominant thing was the train is often going too fast to even attempt to stop, even when someone is seen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/20/2022 at 7:57 PM, preeya said:

Also, how dumb was the sergeant's partner? She was warned multiple times about what was happening and still took the job. Then bolts when all the warnings actually happen.

THIS A MILLION TIMES! Why was the wife/girlfriend acting so surprised?  She really irritates me.  I really don’t care about of of their personal lives, I wish she would have taken Elliot’s family with her when she ran away and hope she’s never found.  I mean I could see if Bell had never mentioned anything, but she did just about all she could to warn her with the exception of putting up a billboard. I could see if the wife was just flat out like he didn’t do anything, but she came off as if she was shocked there was even a possibility of him being arrested even though told before she even took the job the guy was under scrutiny.

I thought Donnelly standing in front of the train was an appropriate ending, and I was glad to see Cragen again especially since I thought it was going to be St. Olivia breathlessly whispering to him in the end.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

have heard enough horror stories regarding people and trains, and the predominant

Yes, but it still should have been stopping after!  We (and Elliott) should have heard brakes grinding and seen sparks flying!

I lost a very dear friend to a train. Walking across a railroad bridge (stupid and dangerous, but we were teenagers!) He stepped onto a worker platform to get out of the way - when the train passed he stepped back onto the tracks - and a train coming the other way on the 2nd track got him. 

July 3, 1973. 15 years old. He wasn’t a boyfriend, but a dear friend who was a boy. So heartbreaking.

Edited by The Wild Sow
Typo
4 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I lost a very dear friend to a train. Walking across a railroad bridge (stupid and dangerous, but we were teenagers!) He stepped onto a worker platform to get out of the way - when the train passed he stepped back onto the tracks - and a train coming the other way on the 2nd track got him. 

July 3, 1973. 15 years old. He wasn’t a boyfriend, but a dear friend who was a boy. So heartbreaking.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have heard enough horror stories regarding people and trains, and the predominant things was the train is often going too fast to even attempt to stop, even when someone is seen.

I don't want to say stepping in front of public transport trains (S-Bahn) in Berlin is common but you hear about it every now and then. You also hear about people who think they can cross at the railroad crossing before the train passes even though the barrier (not sure if that's the right word) is lowered. Those trains are going relatively slow but they can never stop in time even if they've just rolled out of the station. It's why it's so very tough on the engineers because they basically know that if someone's on the tracks they have no chance. (And, of course, Donnelly had to cause someone else the trauma of having killed someone. He couldn't just do it himself).

But I agree with The Wild Sow, it was weird that there was no attempt to break.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think the stuck the ending. At least we don't have to worry about Donnelly's body not being found 😉

It seemed dumb on Stablers part to confront his Dad's partner before the job was done. His personal anguish got the better of him.

The only LOL moment I thought was the car chase in Jackson Heights Queens. I live in Queens, midday traffic is never that light.

Edited by edhopper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

What did Jet find on the 'italian?' laptop that caused them to arrest Cassandra?  Not that she didn't deserve to be put away for something.  I got the idea at the end that Stabler's mom knew his dad was dirty-ish if not an outright criminal like Donnelly. Going to see dad's partner was not the brighest, but maybe he felt like since the guy was long retired he wouldn't be involved in the brotherhood.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, jabRI said:

What did Jet find on the 'italian?' laptop that caused them to arrest Cassandra?  Not that she didn't deserve to be put away for something.  I got the idea at the end that Stabler's mom knew his dad was dirty-ish if not an outright criminal like Donnelly. Going to see dad's partner was not the brighest, but maybe he felt like since the guy was long retired he wouldn't be involved in the brotherhood.

They found it was Cassandra, not Webb who hired the assassin. I think it was an email that said "Dear Bella Donna, please kill this policeman and I will pay you $$"

Edited by edhopper
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, edhopper said:

They found it was Cassandra, not Webb who hired the assassin

Sorry, which assassin was that?   But she was arrested for killing her husband, which she didn't do?  Still confusing to me, but maybe I missed the explanation when it aired.

8 minutes ago, jabRI said:

Sorry, which assassin was that?   But she was arrested for killing her husband, which she didn't do?  Still confusing to me, but maybe I missed the explanation when it aired.

That woman assassin who tried to kill Stabler. They had a long chase through warehouse and over roof tops. They also thought she killed Webb, but the last scenes revealed it was Nova who killed him for killing her father.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, Irate Panda said:

THIS A MILLION TIMES! Why was the wife/girlfriend acting so surprised?  She really irritates me.  I really don’t care about of of their personal lives, I wish she would have taken Elliot’s family with her when she ran away and hope she’s never found.  I mean I could see if Bell had never mentioned anything, but she did just about all she could to warn her with the exception of putting up a billboard. I could see if the wife was just flat out like he didn’t do anything, but she came off as if she was shocked there was even a possibility of him being arrested even though told before she even took the job the guy was under scrutiny.

This times  one thousand.  What did the wife expect?  Ayanna to just not arrest the guy because she took the job even though she was warned?  She got a big fuck you from me when she was acting all outraged.  Every time Elliot's mom is on and doesn't die I am disappointed and then I feel like a jerk for wanting her dead.

• LOL 4
On 5/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, Irate Panda said:

Ayanna told her over and over again NOT TO TAKE THE JOB. If would be one thing if it was a job she already had, but she was offered a job at a place that Ayanna told her was under investigation and so she knew this was going to happen. 

• Love 9

I liked the Brotherhood arc and I thought this ending was solid. Granted, anything would have been preferable to C list supervillain Wheatley, but I really liked Denis Leary bringing his world weary working man energy to a full villain performance and it allowed for Stabler to show some real character growth. I like that this allowed him to ruminate on what it means to be a cop and deal with his issues with his father, hopefully speaking to the father of the guy he framed (which was a really nice gesture) gave him some closure. Stabler in the SVU days often wrestled with what kind of cop he was and was famous for bending a lot of rules when it came to policing, so an older wiser Stabler exploring what it means to be a good cop was a good arc for him. This is how I expected things to go for Donnelly, no way was he going to submit to the other side of the justice system, he was either going to flee the country or die. 

I am guessing that Nova killed Webb, probably after that comment by his wife about him thinking of her as a daughter after Webb killed her actual father. I wonder if we will see her again? 

Nice seeing Cragen again, and that we were spared a St. Olivia cameo. 

I feel really bad for Ayanna, but her wife has been frustrating me all season. First of all, leaving your wife via note is a dick movie. For another, Ayanna told her a million times that the guy she wanted to work with was sketchy, and then she just did it anyway and got mad about it? She took a job that her wife specifically told her was with a guy she was investigating? What an idiot, Ayanna can do better. 

• Love 9

It was a good finale, the Brotherhood story was interesting and I agree that Stabler had some character growth.
My main question is what Stabler will do next season? Going undercover is basically burned, since he got a lot of publicity and his fellow police officers know he worded uc going after police corruption.

• Love 2
On 5/22/2022 at 5:23 PM, jabRI said:

She was arrested for killing her husband because they read the emails hiring the hitman using her account or something like that. They also mentioned at the very end of the episode that she DIDNT kill her husband after all meaning the emails were done by somebody with access to her accounts and knew where Webb would be (Carmen).

I assume Cassandra was released since they probably couldn't prove she knew about Webb using her art shipments to move guns and might show up down the road looking for revenge.

The Marcy gang is still intact isn't it? They just arrested the crooked senator plus the brotherhood and who was left of Webbs crew since Webb was dead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, UnknownK said:

they read the emails hiring the hitman using her account or something like that. They also mentioned at the very end of the episode that she DIDNT kill her husband after all meaning the emails were done by somebody with access to her accounts and knew where Webb would be (Carmen).

I think you are confusing two things. The "emails to the hitwoman" were for the hit on Stabler. Emailed by Cassandra. The death of Webb had nothing to do with emails/hitwoman. However, the wife "no longer a suspect" in the death of Webb does imply it had to be someone else who knew his location (Carmen).

• Love 3

I figured Carmen was too smart to kill him herself so she just ordered another hitman/woman to do the job paid for by the same account used on the last hit. Doing that would have put the blame on the wife but somehow she got out of it.

• Useful 1

I thought this last episode was kind of rushed, but thankfully everything was wrapped up.  This season with Donnelly was soooo much better than that Wheatley garbage!!  I must have missed something in the last episode (or maybe this episode) that Preston Webb had gone missing.  I did like the twist that Nova killed him.  Curious to see where Stabler ends up next considering he can't really go undercover anymore  since everyone knows who he is now.

• Love 1