Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: Top 14

• Start Topic

"I'm torn between two song choices. One is 'Mad World', by Tears for Fears..."

*Shows a clip of her practicing what sounds more like the Gary Jules version of "Mad World"*

Honestly, though, maybe she should've stuck with "Mad World", 'cause that version of "Happy Together" had some...interesting notes throughout. I would've liked it if she had actually tried to do the Tears for Fears version of "Mad World", 'cause everyone and their mother has done the Gary Jules version. It'd be neat to see someone actually try to do their take on the song as it sounded originally. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

"I'm torn between two song choices. One is 'Mad World', by Tears for Fears..."

*Shows a clip of her practicing what sounds more like the Gary Jules version of "Mad World"*

Honestly, though, maybe she should've stuck with "Mad World", 'cause that version of "Happy Together" had some...interesting notes throughout. I would've liked it if she had actually tried to do the Tears for Fears version of "Mad World", 'cause everyone and their mother has done the Gary Jules version. It'd be neat to see someone actually try to do their take on the song as it sounded originally. 

Why would she have even considered Mad World when Adam Lambert owns that song on Idol? 

*I'm sorry, but contestants should do their research and know that there are certain songs that will automatically invoke comparisons to former contestants. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Why would she have even considered Mad World when Adam Lambert owns that song on Idol? 

That was my other thought as well! Adam basically did the Gary Jules version as well, but yeah, his performance was very memorable, so it'd be hard for anyone to compete with that. Which is another reason I felt if she had done "Mad World", it'd be wiser to do it more along the lines of how Tears for Fears originally did it, instead of trying to do yet another slowed down, dramatic take. At least that version might've stood out more.

Funny enough, now Tristen is actually doing an Adam Lambert song. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Omg, who is behind these song choices?
I love love love love that Adam Lambert song and Tristen did such a poor job on it, I'm sorry that I'm not sorry.  

Lady K actually wasn't bad at Fantasia - possibly my favourite all time Idol contestant, at least top 3.

I liked Fritz - and I never say that.

If the singers pick their own songs then Allegra is very cunning picking Billie Eilish.  Her stans will vote for her.  And she did a good job.   Ditto goes for Emyrson picking Olivia Rodrigo.   I like Emeryson singing that better than I do Olivia.

I love that Harry Styles song.  It was odd.  I feel like Ava sang it way deeper than Harry does, so I'm not sure why I should be impressed.

Lots of songs that I loved, but not a lot of performances of them.............

Honestly, I feel kind of sad to see all of these great young women/girls (and Mike) singing because someone like Horrible Dan or Fritz or most likely Noah will end up winning.  And if not, the producers will manipulate it for Emyrson I guess.

58 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

So much wailing and screaming.  UGH!  She makes me cringe!

47 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

*I'm sorry, but contestants should do their research and know that there are certain songs that will automatically invoke comparisons to former contestants. 

Don't be sorry.  We're all thinking it.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love that Harry Styles song.  It was odd.  I feel like Ava sang it way deeper than Harry does, so I'm not sure why I should be impressed.

Her take sounded kinda like a Florence and the Machine attempt to do Harry Styles or something.

Honestly, I feel kind of sad to see all of these great young women/girls (and Mike) singing because someone like Horrible Dan or Fritz or most likely Noah will end up winning. 

I would love to see Mike stay over Dan or Noah because Dan and Noah sound so much like practically every male country artist out there now. Mike would be a breath of fresh air in that genre. 

I agree, though, that the chances of one of those three guys winning is high. If it does come down to any one of those three, though, I'd prefer it to be Fritz, mainly 'cause at least he'd be more likely to do the kind of music I'm into

Speaking of Noah, that was quite a change of song choice....

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

It felt so staged to me!  WTF was that?  Nobody else got that treatment....   How would this random person (I'm sorry I don't know her LOL) know that Noah is not connecting to the song? 

I swear, somebody here called "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley being used as one of the many cliched songs that get overused on these types of shows.  Welp, there it was!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Don't be sorry.  We're all thinking it.

Just off the top of my head of Songs Not To Be Sung:

Stuff Like That There, Summertime, Alone, Billie Jean, Always Be My Baby, Mad World, and that's only the major ones. I remember everyone thinking Clive Davis was throwing Jasmine Trias under the bus when he picked All By Myself for her the week after Latoya sang it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jay is safe?!  LOL ok I'm shocked.

Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I am SHOCKED by that last pick.  I was hoping for Ava or Allegra, just NOT Dan.

Oh well not bad!  I'm really happy about Jay and Mike.  And honestly, I don't even like Jay's performances.  HAhhahahahaha.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I swear, somebody here called "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley being used as one of the many cliched songs that get overused on these types of shows.  Welp, there it was!

Yeah, that was me- only I thought Christian would do it. However, he still sang a song that isn't at all religious, as if it were religious (Take Me to Church). 

At least Dan is gone; I was positive he'd make semi finals.

• Love 5

God, Emyrson, Tristen, and Mike safe while Allegra goes, of course. Would've rather any of them or Leah, Christian had gone instead. *eyeroll*  She wasn't going to win or anything, I know the score with these shows, all the poppier and more relevant-sounding girls go first, but she deserved to go a little farther.

Only people that I felt strongly about were Nicolina, Allegra, Noah, and Fritz. HunterGirl was okay (I like Sugarland and she didn't butcher it anyway) and same with Jay, probably his best performance in a long while. Emyrson and Dan were the worst. Christian picked a good song, but he also was pretty bad tonight. Not sad to see Ava and Dan go, thank you. Poor Lady K with that song choice. Fritz is another one like Noah--they found decent WGWGs this year, thankfully. I'd take Noah over him if we're getting another WGWG, but he would be either one of them would be on the good side of WGWGs if they were to win. I could see either (or both) him and Noah having success post-show if they were given a strong single and a decent push from a label, so... The only other contestants I'd have said that for are HunterGirl, Allegra, and possibly Jay.

Nicolina's grandmother tearing up at the very beginning as she started was so sweet because it felt genuine to me; no matter how much Idol tries to create those moments, they only work when they feel real. Nicolina was really smart to go soft at the very end like that. More performances like that, with some upbeat choices now and then, and she's top 3 at least, imo. My advice to her would be to keep picking religious songs, too--that also helps a great deal with the voters for these shows.

Noah was a little stiff, but I love his voice. Hopefully he sings a more lively song next week, don't want to do too many ballads in a row.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

Leah Marlene's make up and hair is wonderful.

I like her whole look! I can't stop looking at her. Her eyes with that makeup were mesmerizing.  I am fan-girling in a very motherly way.

I like Emeryson singing that better than I do Olivia.

I like Olivia Rodrigo but I hate that Driver's License song. I like Emyrson's version, though.

I love all Harry Styles' songs and I really like Ava. Her voice was too deep on it, though. 

Sad to see her eliminated. 

I liked Noah and I never say that 😉

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It felt so staged to me!  WTF was that?  Nobody else got that treatment....   How would this random person (I'm sorry I don't know her LOL) know that Noah is not connecting to the song? 

Gabby was very critical, I thought. She had a "fix" for everybody.

And I'd expect her to be young, playful, and relatable. She wasn't. 

1 hour ago, SnarkAttack said:

They aren't lip singing, right?  A couple of times it just seemed like it.

It seemed that way to me too. Last year, I wondered the same thing, but people here disagreed 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

That goes double, nay, 100-fold for an actual Adam Lambert song!

My boy Tristen is losing ground and favor with me by the week. 🥴

2 hours ago, MissPriss said:

The money wasted on tattoos would have gone a long way toward her teeth. I guess I’m shallow because I’m distracted as well. 

"[A] long way"? Towards American orthodontic work?! 😂😂😂

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don't think there's lip-synching going on. I think some of the mics are "sweetened." (I know what I mean, but don't  know the right terms!)

Who is this Mike Parker?! I recall neither hide nor hair! 🤭🤫😊 Needs less tight jeans so as to move better! 😄

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

Noah! 👏👏👏 Singing my 2nd*-favorite-ever song! I was privileged to see the late and awesome Ben E. King sing "Stand By Me" on his 75th birthday at BB King's in NYC. 

*After #1 "Sherry." 

Can I buy a ticket yet to hear Nicolina? Because...I must. The only voice this year that moves my soul. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Nicolina's grandmother tearing up at the very beginning as she started was so sweet because it felt genuine to me; no matter how much Idol tries to create those moments, they only work when they feel real. 

Yeah, that actually got me a little choked up :). Her performance was lovely.

39 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I liked Noah and I never say that 😉

Ha, same! That actually wasn't a bad rendition of the song. I think that's one of those songs you'd have to work really hard to ruin, though. It's just too good a standard/classic :). 

• Love 4

WTH is wrong with me?! I've watched, or thought I have, every episode and besides Mike Parker I don't remember Emerson (fabulous complexion, girl!) at all! Well, if they ever sang Country I muted them, and I DO read my phone a lot during the show, but still! 🤔😳

Aaaand #11 is......LUCKY Tristen!

Now bring it and be your authentic self next time, Kiddo. Win me back! 🙂

• Love 2

Tristen looks like he's in a high school talent show, doing an impression of Adam Lambert.

Emerson looks like a different person. If it wasn't for remembering her name, I'd swear she wasn't on the show before tonight.

I like Fritz and Leah.

• Love 2

The voting makes no sense. Since the voting takes place during the show, the audience is supposed to vote for who is already your favorite,  not based on the performance.  

Dan reminds me so much of a young Donny Osmond.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 6

Loved Nicolina’s voice and arrangement of that song.  Brought a tear to my eye seeing her grandmother.  

I didn’t remember Gabby at all and thought oh another “mentor” that gives them nothing to work on.  I was impressed!  She gave them much more than the judges.  Not only technically but how to improve their physical performance.  

Noah did seem like he was phoning it in with his first song but going against the tide here, I am not a fan of Noah’s voice.  

Agree the voting taking place before a singer has sung makes no sense.  Network trying to cut corners and rush through the whole process.  I like the old AI format.

• Love 5

I know they can't because of the massive lawsuits that would occur if it was ever found out, but last night's results (particularly Mike) made me wonder if shenanigans were actually afoot. The other two (Jay & Tristen) who managed to jump from outside the Top 10 last week inside the Top 11 this week I cans sort of rationalize. My thought was that Ava Maybee (because she has a very polarizing voice) probably was 9th or 10th last week and that Jay (still coasting from his Platinum Ticket audition) could've been 11th or 12th. Same goes for Tristen because of his weirdness and (when he goes that route) he's the only "Rock" left in the competition this year. So in raw votes, it probably didn't take "a lot" for Jay & Tristen to leapfrog Ava and Dan (who didn't get the bus run over him exactly, but he received significant criticism on his Kenny Chesney song when most of the other 14 received glowing reviews). But Mike making it into the Top 11 is borderline inexplicable. I would've had thought he was somewhere between 17th and dead freaking last, last week. So after that abomination of an attempt at doing Luke Combs he somehow managed to jump a minimum of 6 spots? Does. Not. Compute.

Honestly, the remaining 11 have me questioning if I'll be relegated to just watching a handful of clips on Youtube from now till the end...

I guess I'm fully on board w/ Team Fritz at this point. I wouldn't have said that even 3 weeks ago. The more songs he can do w/out acting like he's going to melt into a puddle of emotions, the better.

Lady K: Fantasia? Really, Fantasia?

Nicolina: Do. Not. Like. Next..

Emeryson: Literally eats her words as she's singing them. Makes it where she doesn't have much versatility. Not really sure who is voting for her unless (again) she had a much larger army of TikTok fans than AI has let on..

Noah: Hmm, it did sound kind of under-rehearsed. But again, going outside of the country genre seems to consistently pay off for him. To me he's a finalist unless there's a Daughtry level shocker or he withdraws from the competition.

Christian: I want to like his performances more than I end up liking his performances, They should be better than what they are. I'll also echo others that wonders if he knows the backstory to TMTC at all. It seems impossible, but I feel like it's true.

Jay: Confidently using AI to lock up gigs on the cruise ship circuit.

Tristen: Ew. While he can sing (I'll give him that), there is something so smarmy and off-putting about him...I just want him off of my TV. AI obviously feels differently giving him the little video message from Adam Lambert. They want the weirdness to continue for a few more weeks.

Leah: My Leah fandom is growing, but it might have grown even larger had she done "Mad World" last night.  I don't think Happy Together quite came off the way she wanted it to. On point fashion-sense though..

Huntergirl: More prominent dead eyes than I remember from any of her other performances. I also think she can suffer from Jukebox-itis from time to time. When she sings an Ashley McBride song she sounds a lot like Ashley McBride. When she does Sara Evans, the same thing, when she does Jennifer Nettles/Sugarland...the same.

Mike: You can actually see him up on stage processing in real-time "how do I make this sound more country?" or "how do I make my voice sound more country?" I think honestly he'd be better (like he did last Monday) singing songs by less familiar or completely unfamiliar artists. When he tries to break out Jimmie, or Kenny, the con is just too noticeable..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

WTH is wrong with me?! I've watched, or thought I have, every episode and besides Mike Parker I don't remember Emerson (fabulous complexion, girl!) at all! Well, if they ever sang Country I muted them, and I DO read my phone a lot during the show, but still!

Mike has sang country every week, unfortunately lol.

8 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

The voting makes no sense. Since the voting takes place during the show, the audience is supposed to vote for who is already your favorite,  not based on the performance.  

It's always been like that. The show always was and always will be a popularity contest. Most people are just going to vote for who they like, regardless of whether they have a bad performance on any given week. I guess it does just make it more obvious with how they do it now but still it's always been a popularity contest. 

I think Lady K is stunningly beautiful. I'm not really much of a fan of her style of singing but I just like her.

WGWGs killed it tonight lol. I love them both and am fine with either winning, although I think Noah has a better chance than Fritz.

Leah's voice is often so very grating to me and last night it was like that. She did look amazing though. 

Yay for Dan going and Mike staying! I hate the songs Mike picks but his voice is right up my alley. Mike, stop doing country!

I started fast forwarding Tristen after he messed up. I was just getting too much second-hand embarrassment.

I'll miss Allegra and Ava but I like everyone so I'm still entertained.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ava is the one I'm definitely sad about.

When did Tristen mess up ?  

He messed up the words and reacted, making it obvious. It's when they mess up the words that I get a lip-synching vibe...because they react negatively, but I can somehow still hear the words.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Dan reminds me so much of a young Donny Osmond.

I said these exact words last night! Glad I'm not the only one who saw it. And much like Donny, completely bland and generic. Oh well....not sorry he's gone, nor Allegra. Ava hurt a little, but she's just too cool for this show.

My loathing of Leah continues. She looked great, but there is a quality to her voice that I find irritating. It's very strident and nasally. I have to fast forward. I frequently loathe Fritz, but he basically picked the perfect song for himself - introspective, whiny and soft, so good for him.

Lady K continues to pick the most boring karaoke songs. She looked great though, and the teeth give her character. It doesn't bug me.

As much as it pains me, Tristan did not live up to Adam's version of What Do You Want from Me. At all. It just reinforced how much work he needs to do - whoever called him the Jr. High version of Adam last week was right. I am glad he got to the next round, but I don't think he'll make it much farther, which seems about right.

Huntergirl and Noah are perfectly fine. I'm still sure Noah is going to win this thing, but I think they will both be ok. I just hate country. Also, sorry Mike - you're adorable, but I am FF you too since you are leaning into the country thing.

I have to FF Emerson. I cannot stand her nor that horrible Drivers License song.

I liked Christian. I am glad he let the song build. He looked great.

My girl Nicolina continues to slay. I love her!

• Love 6

Well there went my theory of how voting never changes at this point. Last week must have been closer than I thought.

No issue with who went, but last week I went on record saying that was Idol’s best night ever. This was one of its worst. The most compelling performance was Noah doing a country-fied Stand By Me. Even Nicolina didn’t do it for me - there are better versions of that song in Idol Land alone, and one of them belongs to Lee DeWyze. 
All the talent in the world can’t make up for bad song choice. Some were obscure, some were lazy, some were uninspired.

I would have been more excited for Gabby had she brought my man Cade with her.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

21 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Nicolina's grandmother tearing up at the very beginning as she started was so sweet because it felt genuine to me; no matter how much Idol tries to create those moments, they only work when they feel real. Nicolina was really smart to go soft at the very end like that. More performances like that, with some upbeat choices now and then, and she's top 3 at least, imo. My advice to her would be to keep picking religious songs, too--that also helps a great deal with the voters for these shows.

20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, that actually got me a little choked up :). Her performance was lovely.

While I agree Nicolina did a very good version of "Hallelujah" it's also pet peeve time.  She was indeed smart to go soft at the end as far too many people scream that song.  However:   JEFF BUCKLEY DID NOT WRITE "HALLELUJAH"!!!!!!  Us old people WORSHIP Leonard Cohen and he should at least get proper credit for writing that song.  And I'm really not trying to pick a fight @TheGreenKnight but it is in no way a religious song.  Simply having the word hallelujah in it does not make it religious.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

However:   JEFF BUCKLEY DID NOT WRITE "HALLELUJAH"!!!!!!  Us old people WORSHIP Leonard Cohen and he should at least get proper credit for writing that song. 

I was wondering when someone would point that out :D. It's especially funny that Nicolina credits it to Jeff Buckley, 'cause she's Canadian and so is Cohen, so....yeah :p. Granted, she may full well know who wrote the song originally and just didn't think to mention Cohen's name in the moment, but still....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

And I'm really not trying to pick a fight @TheGreenKnight but it is in no way a religious song.  Simply having the word hallelujah in it does not make it religious.

I agree with others who don't think "Take Me to Church" can be interpreted in religious terms (well, for the most part), but I disagree with you on "Hallelujah," sorry!

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 1
47 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree with others who don't think "Take Me to Church" can be interpreted in religious terms (well, for the most part), but I disagree with you on "Hallelujah," sorry!

While the song contains many biblical references it mostly refers to the downfall of both King David and Samson because of sex.

Regarding the meaning of the song, Leonard Cohen said:

“This world is full of conflicts and full of things that cannot be reconciled. But there are moments when we can… reconcile and embrace the whole mess, and that’s what I mean by ‘Hallelujah’.

The song explains that many kinds of hallelujahs do exist, and all the perfect and broken hallelujahs have equal value. It’s a desire to affirm my faith in life, not in some formal religious way but with enthusiasm, with emotion.”

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I was wondering when someone would point that out :D. It's especially funny that Nicolina credits it to Jeff Buckley, 'cause she's Canadian and so is Cohen, so....yeah :p. Granted, she may full well know who wrote the song originally and just didn't think to mention Cohen's name in the moment, but still....

I assumed it was because she was young.  On some other show I actually heard someone credit someone NOT Tom Petty (I don't remember the name, just remember it wasn't Tom Petty) with writing "American Girl."  Again, SACRILEGE to us old people.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Regarding the meaning of the song, Leonard Cohen said:

“This world is full of conflicts and full of things that cannot be reconciled. But there are moments when we can… reconcile and embrace the whole mess, and that’s what I mean by ‘Hallelujah’.

The song explains that many kinds of hallelujahs do exist, and all the perfect and broken hallelujahs have equal value. It’s a desire to affirm my faith in life, not in some formal religious way but with enthusiasm, with emotion.”

What a writer may intend in writing a song (Cohen could have been athiest for all it matters) is not always the same as what some singers or listeners interpret the song as. A writer can't control how their writing is reacted to. I personally interpret the song as an expression of how faith and brokenness / weakness are intrinsically tied to one another, however Cohen may have intended it. (I would go into more detail, but talking about religion in specific terms would be off-topic.) I'm not forcing you to feel the same way, but you haven't changed my mind. *shrug*

"Take Me to the Church," on the other hand, mocks religious hypocrisy, which in itself isn't irreconcilable with a religious point of view at all. It's really just some of the lines that are a little, well... YMMV.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 1
On 4/25/2022 at 3:58 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Noah did seem like he was phoning it in with his first song but going against the tide here, I am not a fan of Noah’s voice.

He did not seem to be having fun at the end, and I wondered if it was because Gabby shot down his song choice. I didn't know the other song he was considering, but if he felt more strongly about it or more enthused about it, he might have been more engaged. I can't tell if she was right in discouraging him from singing it.

19 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Lady K continues to pick the most boring karaoke songs. She looked great though, and the teeth give her character. It doesn't bug me.

I feel the same, I just like her and her teeth, but she needs to have a moment on stage.

14 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

While I agree Nicolina did a very good version of "Hallelujah" it's also pet peeve time.  She was indeed smart to go soft at the end as far too many people scream that song.  However:   JEFF BUCKLEY DID NOT WRITE "HALLELUJAH"!!!!!!  Us old people WORSHIP Leonard Cohen and he should at least get proper credit for writing that song.  And I'm really not trying to pick a fight @TheGreenKnight but it is in no way a religious song.  Simply having the word hallelujah in it does not make it religious.

Same! I was telling my spouse that KD Lang sings an incredible version of that song, and after hearing her sing it, Leonard Cohen is said to have said the song could be retired. I cringe when anyone sings it on AI. And I do not consider that song to be religious, although it is perhaps spiritual and definitely about uh, passion.

• Love 2