Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Masking For It -- The Good, The Bad & The Cuddly -- Round 2

• Start Topic

I'm so confused by Hydra. The clues were clearly pointing to it being a Three Amigos reunion, and two of the voices I could definitely buy as Martin Short and Steve Martin (especially with the banjo added to the backing track), but then why is the third voice so obviously Penn Jillette? Was Chevy unavailable? Where is Teller?

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ooh I would love to see Penn and Teller do this show! Pipe dream I know.

Chevy Chase is still kind of a butthead I believe, I wouldn't expect him to do it. Steve Martin and Martin Short will be touring together soon, so it makes sense they'd want to get that info out there early. I don't think it could be Penn, so maybe another SNL person who kind of sounds like that? But maybe I'm wrong and the voice alteration did its job. 

The Teddy costume was cute, but utterly basic for this show. And Christie Brinkley is exactly the right kind/level of celeb for this show, was hugely famous for something other than music, not much in the public eye lately but completely recognizable. Not to say that I don't appreciate legit legends like Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle, and stars like Jewel and Seal though. 

• Love 5

I think the Ringmaster is Emily Osment who worked with Miley on Hannah Montana. Or Victoria Justice. I can not stand "The Climb" but it was sang way better than Miley does it but then Miley is not a good singer JMO

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Lemur wasn't good but how is Hydra still there?  Yes, I get it people like seeing people survive who they think are interesting but still...  I hope the payoff is worth it for the people voting to keep them there.

I think Teddy is Jennifer Holliday.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

I think the Ringmaster is Emily Osment who worked with Miley on Hannah Montana. Or Victoria Justice. I can not stand "The Climb" but it was sang way better than Miley does it but then Miley is not a good singer JMO

Emily Osment was my guess too. She has an amazing voice and pretty cool story. I'd really like to see it be her. Always rooting for her. I have no other guesses. 

Oh, I thought Tabitha Brown was the teddy bear or whatever. 

Edited by BoogieBurns
Eta one more guess

I'm glad the Lemur got to see that she was liked (I thought she should have lasted longer) from people who didn't know who she was.

That might have been my favorite version of The Climb; I've only heard one other cover, so I don't have a lot to go on, but I liked it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Lemur wasn't good but how is Hydra still there?  Yes, I get it people like seeing people survive who they think are interesting but still...  I hope the payoff is worth it for the people voting to keep them there.

I do not believe for one second these “contestants” are actually unmasked due to number of votes. I think that each person coming on to this show tells them how many days/weeks/whatever they can commit to and that’s the order they get “voted off”. That’s the only thing that makes sense since it can’t be based on actual singing ability. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I agree with others that the Teddy Bear is Jennifer Holiday, that voice is kind of unmistakable.

I'm glad they let Ken get one, I guess that's it for the season for him.

There's no way Hydra and Armadillo are still there and Lemur went home. This is clearly "fixed". I mean Christie Brinkley is not a good singer but she was much better than those other two. I think the show will be rigged so one person from each group will be in the finale.

• Love 1

I do feel like I hear Martin Short and (possibly) Steve Martin who have been working together for years, but I think the third guy, if there is a third, may be Nathan Lane.  All three star in "Murder in the Building" which is filming season 2 and you know how this show likes to pop in celebrities with something to plug.  A better third head might be Selena Gomez, who is the third co-star with Short and Martin, but she would likely only appear if she could REALLY sing and compete, and not just be a novelty act.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I do not believe for one second these “contestants” are actually unmasked due to number of votes. I think that each person coming on to this show tells them how many days/weeks/whatever they can commit to and that’s the order they get “voted off”. That’s the only thing that makes sense since it can’t be based on actual singing ability. 

I would say it a bit differently, that there are some contestants that commit to a show or two and are voted off first, the rest are probably committed for the duration. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I do feel like I hear Martin Short and (possibly) Steve Martin who have been working together for years, but I think the third guy, if there is a third, may be Nathan Lane.  All three star in "Murder in the Building" which is filming season 2 and you know how this show likes to pop in celebrities with something to plug.  A better third head might be Selena Gomez, who is the third co-star with Short and Martin, but she would likely only appear if she could REALLY sing and compete, and not just be a novelty act.

This is good, and it makes sense, so I'll go with this. We'll see if Ken changes his guess.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

I would say it a bit differently, that there are some contestants that commit to a show or two and are voted off first, the rest are probably committed for the duration. 

I’ll concede to that. I’m sure you’re right. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I determined that for me that this show is more entertaining if I don't look up spoilers on the internet.  But coming here to say that I noticed they finally got rid of the stupid first impression guesses and I think they got rid of theGolden Ear trophy, which is a welcome change.

This show seems for sure that it's going to be rigged.  The Good Firefly won Group A, so you can be sure that the Good characters in Groups B and C are toast.   Group B will be won by either Cuddly Miss Teddy or Bad Hydra.  I'm thinking Hydra.  Then it looks like Group C will be won by either Cuddly Baby Mammoth or Cuddly Space Bunny.  Also, they won't have three women or three men in the finals, so if Miss Teddy somehow wins Group B, the winner of Group C will automatically be the Jack in the Box, who I am assuming is male.

Ken is more annoying than ever on this show.

Edited by blackwing
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

This show seems for sure that it's going to be rigged.  The Good Firefly won Group A, so you can be sure that the Good characters in Groups B and C are toast.   Group B will be won by either Cuddly Miss Teddy or Bad Hydra.  I'm thinking Hydra.  Then it looks like Group C will be won by either Cuddly Baby Mammoth or Cuddly Space Bunny.  Also, they won't have three women or three men in the finals, so if Miss Teddy somehow wins Group B, the winner of Group C will automatically be the Jack in the Box, who I am assuming is male.

Yeah, this show isn’t nearly as clever as they think they are. But it got me thinking, if they wanted one person from each group in the finale, why not just make each group compete together(i.e. all from Team Good sing weeks 1-3, all Team Cuddly weeks 4-6, all Team Bad weeks 7-9, finale week 10). As of now, I can’t really get excited for any of Team Good’s singers, but is Firefly really the best of that group or did she just get lucky with who she sang against? Now I want to find a chart of who is on each team so I can keep track of who may possibly stick around. 

At least I can freely watch the next two weeks. 

• Love 1
On 3/31/2022 at 12:34 PM, milkyaqua said:

I think Hydra was more entertaining than Lemur, and the fact that there are at least 2 people (who might be comedy legends) in the costume makes it more interesting. 

Count me in the group of people who miss the First Impression guesses. I found the reveals amusing.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Count me in the group of people who miss the First Impression guesses. I found the reveals amusing.

The reason why I didn't care for them was that the Golden Ear was awarded based solely on who got the most First Impression guesses correct.  Which seems to completely defeat the purpose of trying to figure out who it is based on the clues in the clue packages.  I would have thought they should award the trophy to the panelist who gets the most correct, not who happened to get First Impressions.  They don't seem to be keeping track at all, so maybe there is no more Golden Ear.

55 minutes ago, Bookworm13 said:

Yeah, this show isn’t nearly as clever as they think they are. But it got me thinking, if they wanted one person from each group in the finale, why not just make each group compete together(i.e. all from Team Good sing weeks 1-3, all Team Cuddly weeks 4-6, all Team Bad weeks 7-9, finale week 10). As of now, I can’t really get excited for any of Team Good’s singers, but is Firefly really the best of that group or did she just get lucky with who she sang against? Now I want to find a chart of who is on each team so I can keep track of who may possibly stick around. 

At least I can freely watch the next two weeks. 

They wanted the element of the masks facing off against masks from other teams, to give it that showdown aspect.  Also, for sure they assigned teams to each panelist, to make sure each team had at least one panelist supporting them.

Here is the wikipedia entry which helps to identify the teams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masked_Singer_(American_season_7)'

So it seems to me the finals will be either 1) Good Firefly, Bad Hydra, and Cuddly Baby Mammoth, 2) Good Firefly, Bad Hydra, and Cuddly Space Bunny, or 3) Good Firefly, Cuddly Miss Teddy, and Bad Jack in the Box.

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

They wanted the element of the masks facing off against masks from other teams, to give it that showdown aspect.  Also, for sure they assigned teams to each panelist, to make sure each team had at least one panelist supporting them.

Yeah, I understand that, I just wish this show didn’t try so hard to be clever when it’s painfully obvious it’s not. Nick is the only one who changes clothes with any regularity. But IMO, Ringmaster is a better singer than Firefly, so I’m bummed she’ll be going home soon since they’re both Team Good(based on the wiki link you gave - thanks for that, very helpful!).

23 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

So, in which group is you-know-who?  Please, not Good or Cuddly.

Based on the wiki link posted above, the final group of contestants is Baby Mammoth and Space Bunny(Team Cuddly), Prince(Team Good), and Jack-in-the-box and Queen Cobra(Team Bad). If I had to guess, I’d go with Jack-in-the-box, but there’s no real rhyme or reason for that. 

There was also a Newsweek article quoted(are they a legit source still?) that says like most productions, the groups are not necessarily taped sequentially, so we don't always know the order they will air," with Newsweek adding on that his appearance was not cut from the show.

Something I was thinking earlier and forgot to mention, they aren’t doing a great job of splitting the teams evenly this season. The first group was 4 men/ 1 woman, this week 4 women/1 man(counting Hydra as one entity since I’m not sure how many people are actually in there). 

On 4/1/2022 at 6:26 PM, Bookworm13 said:

Yeah, I understand that, I just wish this show didn’t try so hard to be clever when it’s painfully obvious it’s not. Nick is the only one who changes clothes with any regularity. But IMO, Ringmaster is a better singer than Firefly, so I’m bummed she’ll be going home soon since they’re both Team Good(based on the wiki link you gave - thanks for that, very helpful!).

I agree that the Ringmaster is a better singer than the firefly so I wish she was in Group A instead of the Firefly.  I also get the novelty of Hydra but Teddy has them beat when it comes to singing.

Don't like this season since so far, there are only two good singers per group.

It makes me sad that this season is so off and un-good. This used to be my favorite fun, silly, escapist show, and now I'm just dreading the spoilered event. Oh well, perhaps they will learn from this and the next season will be back to normal.

• Love 4
On 4/1/2022 at 8:26 PM, Bookworm13 said:

with Newsweek adding on that his appearance was not cut from the show.

So episode 7 is the one to skip. Good to know. I was hoping that they just cut that part of the show out entirely, but no such luck.