Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Every Subpoena is a Tiny Hug

• Start Topic

When Christina gets a new job at a sock startup, the family is supportive until they find out the new company is more successful than MaxDot. Realizing they've given their competitor a helping hand, Dottie vows to do anything to get her daughter back.

Airdate: 03/07/2022

1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Can I tell you a secret? Thankyou writers for giving her mother layers cause constant monster for no apparent reason was starting to wear thin 

Those scenes between the sisters when they really started to talk was kind of beautiful

• Love 11

I loved watching Olu's day off and how happy she was. And then laughed when it all came to a screeching halt when she came home and found her sister there, heh. I did enjoy the end scene of the two of them in the movie theater. 

• Love 13

Christina’s ideas/designs (done while on the job) are work product and belong to DotMax. Seriously, she is my least favorite character on the show. I don’t find Christine funny. Douglas on the other hand is hilarious. 
Loved getting more Olu and Tunde (“I ate the Wendy’s on the sidewalk.” 😆) this week.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Christina’s ideas/designs (done while on the job) are work product and belong to DotMax. Seriously, she is my least favorite character on the show. I don’t find Christine funny. Douglas on the other hand is hilarious. 
Loved getting more Olu and Tunde (“I ate the Wendy’s on the sidewalk.” 😆) this week.

Man, Tunde is a saint for putting up with his wife’s sister. Did we know before that Olu couldn’t have children? Interesting to learn Tunde’s family pressured him to take another wife as a result (we already knew he didn’t want to take a second wife as expected of him), and that seemed to lead to them going to America

• Love 6

I love the relationship between Olu and Tunde. I wonder if they've written off the neice or cousin or... whoever it was who was living with them and was a lesbian. I liked her character.

It was about time someone stopped going along with the abusive bullshit. I was impressed by the movie scene. 

I liked seeing Christina come into her own. It appears that her crazy was due to being constantly undermined driving her a bit crazy. As soon as she got out on her own she suddenly became sane and competent. 

• Love 10

Great episode.

Watching the dinner scene with the family (and the scene with them on the couch at MaxDot), man has both Bob and Douglas lost a significant amount of weight!

I am happy Christina has come into her own.

Olu's day off was awesome.  The closeups on her face - LOL!

I was surprised that Abishola's father is still alive.  I thought he was deceased. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Will there be a follow-up in which it’s explained that Dottie became a terrible mother after he death of her husband? Or is that now assumed? 

I think its implied that she has ALWAYS been that way with her children even when her husband was still around

• Love 3
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Christina’s ideas/designs (done while on the job) are work product and belong to DotMax.

You are correct ... even if they didn't use them they would still be considered the property of the company ... maybe that will be the reason she comes back to work for the family being sued by Dotmax

• Love 1
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Great episode.

Watching the dinner scene with the family (and the scene with them on the couch at MaxDot), man has both Bob and Douglas lost a significant amount of weight!

I am happy Christina has come into her own.

Olu's day off was awesome.  The closeups on her face - LOL!

I was surprised that Abishola's father is still alive.  I thought he was deceased. 

Her father was at the wedding. I remember Bob had to get a bunch of things off a list to give him as traditional gifts.

10 hours ago, DanaK said:

Man, Tunde is a saint for putting up with his wife’s sister. Did we know before that Olu couldn’t have children? Interesting to learn Tunde’s family pressured him to take another wife as a result (we already knew he didn’t want to take a second wife as expected of him), and that seemed to lead to them going to America

Yes. Ebun has referred to her as “barren” before.

• Love 3

Oh my heart.  The scenes between the sisters....the arguments and sniping and also the scene at the end in the theater.

Poor Tunde.  I think Ebun is very jealous of how much Tunde loves Olu--to the point that he was willing to leave Nigeria to keep their relationship the same.  I think a lot of her ugliness stems from that jealousy.  "Your floors had brown stuff on them!" ::quietly:: "Yes, I know.  That was the varnish!"

Poor Kofo.  If Christine comes back, he'll be relegated back to the floor again. 

That lunch with Christina, Abishola, Gloria, and Kemi was something else again.  Christina's troubles with her mom really poked a sore spot for Kemi.

I really love that this show is turning into an ensemble show.  Bob and Abishola have become just a part of the cast.  Yes, they were the catalyst for this whole ensemble to be together, but they're just two personalities out of the whole mix.  There will be some more Bob and Abishola centric episodes, for sure, but I like it best when the whole cast gets to shine.

• Love 14

I have to say I really liked this episode despite the fact that Bob and Abishola were on the sidelines.  I agree with everyone about the scenes featuring the sisters being great.  I also liked how the sock company Christina went to work for paralleled at least one real life company that actually is getting $20.00 or more for a pair of socks online and donating pairs to homeless shelters.

• Love 6
On 3/8/2022 at 2:28 AM, possibilities said:

I love the relationship between Olu and Tunde. I wonder if they've written off the neice or cousin or... whoever it was who was living with them and was a lesbian. I liked her character.

It was about time someone stopped going along with the abusive bullshit. I was impressed by the movie scene. 

I liked seeing Christina come into her own. It appears that her crazy was due to being constantly undermined driving her a bit crazy. As soon as she got out on her own she suddenly became sane and competent. 

I feel sorry for Christine , I hope they have her be more than the “ crazy” one . Actually, anyone who has Dottie as a mom would be messed up !  
Love Ulu and Tunde! And I was glad to see more layers to Ebu’s character .

I hope they show layers to Dottie’s character , she’s just so nasty, even when Christine is trying to be nice to her . I am not liking her at all. And Christine’s   where never respected at the MaxDot, for her mom to sue her for them just seems really awful . 

Overall, I am really enjoying the show now that we are learning more about the characters abs it’s more of an ensemble cast .

(edited)
On 3/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

You are correct ... even if they didn't use them they would still be considered the property of the company ... maybe that will be the reason she comes back to work for the family being sued by Dotmax

I figured this was the case.  Is there caselaw though about the instance of ownership when a company refuses to implement an idea? I ask as I dabbled in this many, many years ago, and know that the laws were set up to encourage the costs of innovation, at least in part.

ETA:  Olu's day of errands was a delight! I do recognize this is a sitcom!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, LittleIggy said:

Christina’s ideas/designs (done while on the job) are work product and belong to DotMax. Seriously, she is my least favorite character on the show. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:35 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

I don't think it's that simple.. I doubt whether MaxDot had an official contract with Christine, where intellectual rights would be spelled out.  Without that, MaxDot would have no rights to her ideas.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I don't think it's that simple.. I doubt whether MaxDot had an official contract with Christine, where intellectual rights would be spelled out.  Without that, MaxDot would have no rights to her ideas.

Yes, it would.

• Love 1

Pretty sure there was a big case settled out of court a few years ago where the one company was claiming an idea belonged to them because even though the person who came up with it did so in their spare time at lunch and at home they worked for said company and used company pens, pencils, laptop, computers, servers etc.

Not sure what settled out of court actually means but I would presume it was settled because there was some merit in their case or the lawyer cost would have been excessive and it was cheaper to pay up.

• Love 1

I think it depends on the specific situation. I'm not sure if out of court is precedent setting, either, because as you say, often people settle just to avoid the lawyer fees and other difficulties of proceeding with the case.

• Love 1

I loved getting more focus on Olu and Tunde and hearing a bit more about their story, I just love them. That ending with the sisters really got me, it added some real layers and humanity to Ebun. She's probably picking on Olu and her marriage so much because she's jealous of how much Tunde clearly loves her while her own husband hasn't even called her, it makes the whole thing quite sad in retrospect. 

Every movie features Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

• Love 4

The title of the episode, “Every Subpoena is a Tiny Hug” (spoken by Christine about her mom) seems to indicate that all of Christine’s therapy was worthwhile.

7 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

…presume it was settled because there was some merit in their case or the lawyer cost would have been excessive and it was cheaper to pay up.

Could Christine “counter sue” (U of L&O) because of a hostile work environment at MaxDot?”——which would precipitate an Out of Court settlement?

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The title of the episode, “Every Subpoena is a Tiny Hug” (spoken by Christine about her mom) seems to indicate that all of Christine’s therapy was worthwhile.

Could Christine “counter sue” (U of L&O) because of a hostile work environment at MaxDot?”——which would precipitate an Out of Court settlement?

No, per the EEOC, harassment causing a hostile work environment is “unwelcome conduct that is based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.” 

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/8/2022 at 6:37 AM, greekmom said:

He was at her wedding.  He gave Bob a list of things to buy at the market as the bride price.

When Abishola's mom kept criticizing her for not cooking Bob dinner or taking care of him, I was wondering who was taking care of her husband.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 7:38 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

Pretty sure there was a big case settled out of court a few years ago where the one company was claiming an idea belonged to them because even though the person who came up with it did so in their spare time at lunch and at home they worked for said company and used company pens, pencils, laptop, computers, servers etc.

Not sure what settled out of court actually means but I would presume it was settled because there was some merit in their case or the lawyer cost would have been excessive and it was cheaper to pay up.

Again, that's different because they probably had a formal contract.  I doubt that they had one with Christine, so she could claim that MaxDot had no right to any intellectual property.  But I'm not a lawyer...

15 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Again, that's different because they probably had a formal contract.  I doubt that they had one with Christine, so she could claim that MaxDot had no right to any intellectual property.  But I'm not a lawyer...

They had a contract but the use of what I said was not specifically mentioned in that contract and the company were arguing that it was implied. Like you I'm not a lawyer either.

Anyway it's a tv show so we can suspend reality even if only for 30 minutes at a time.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He was at her wedding.  He gave Bob a list of things to buy at the market as the bride price.

When Abishola's mom kept criticizing her for not cooking Bob dinner or taking care of him, I was wondering who was taking care of her husband.

He has two other wives, and from what we learned at the end of the episode, their relationship is just a piece of paper to him. 

• Like 1