Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Check Out Time

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I didn't understand why Vivian was so disrespectful to her editor, but wow at what he did.  She's stuck at that job with no other prospects.  I would hate having to make nice with the jerk.

I don't understand why Anna had Neff's loyalty.  Neff was so contemptuous towards Rachel, but they were in the exact same boat - Anna paid for everything and gave them lavish gifts.

I'm really surprised that Neff went to dinner with Anna after she made that remark about requiring silence after giving someone so many favors. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I don't understand why Neff now has no film money. All she paid for was one dinner. How much could that even cost? $200?

I was confused about that too. I imagine it could have been a very expensive dinner but even say it was around $500, was that all of her savings? I don’t mean to dismiss $500, that’s a ton of money to me, but Anna tipped her at least that much. Did Anna talk her into paying for other stuff that she isn’t admitting to? Did she actually pay Anna’s hotel bill or something?

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, FozzyBear said:

I was confused about that too. I imagine it could have been a very expensive dinner but even say it was around $500, was that all of her savings? I don’t mean to dismiss $500, that’s a ton of money to me, but Anna tipped her at least that much. Did Anna talk her into paying for other stuff that she isn’t admitting to? Did she actually pay Anna’s hotel bill or something?

There was also the part where the manager said he was taking the comped champagne out of Neff's paycheck, so it's possible the hotel pulled other comps from her pay as well?

• Love 3

Neff's boyfriend was certainly the voice of reason this episode!   I wanted to like Neff (and I'd watch the actress in something else, she's great), but she really grated on me ... so much so that when her boyfriend finally told her point blank "you were scammed" and "you're making excuses not to film your movie", I was like "thank you!!"   Maybe it was her being so impressed by being at dinner with Martin Shkrelli -- like, really?  Even before he really got in trouble with the law, people knew he was a nasty little shit for deliberately jacking up medication prices.  Anyway, it's hard to care too much since Neff apparently got paid back, unlike everyone else.  

I guess I'm supposed to be touched by the Neff / Anna friendship?  Eh.  

Ok, so I finally get why Vivian hates her editor so much.  She still should do the interview, though.  Why let the kid who lied to her for the disastrous story - and apparently gave her fake bank statements and had his parents lying for him, too - drive the narrative??  That's just self-defeating and silly.  

The actor playing Anna's lawyer is great, but they clearly have no idea what to do with him (for some insane reason, we've seen zero interactions between him and his client, the actual subject of this miniseries) ... so we get contrived silliness like Vivian flouncing into his office uninvited every episode just to shoot the shit.  As lawyers and journalists famously do all day long.  🙄         

I enjoyed the exasperated guard's face at Neff and Anna high-fiving in the prison, against the "no touching" rule.   Even for his non-speaking role, the actor nailed it, and I appreciate that!

• Love 20

Ok I’m a journalist (or was until recently)- a couple of things.

1) I don’t care what your editor says you fact check anything potentially libelous yourself. And listicles don’t usually include interview even on the phone.

2) editors always ALWAYS have reporters’ backs.

3) it’s the whole PUBLICATION on the book for any libel not an individual reporter which is why newspapers have legal departments- and certainly New York magazine (please it’s even the same font) which has a kitchen full of snacks for reporters would have one.

it makes a good parallel story but yeah. No.

i have no sympathy for Vivian I’m tired of hearing her complain about the baby and how it will ruin her life, and her failure to do due diligence is on HER. She’s not wrong that the editor shares the blame- b it he always would have and Landon would know that too.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 3/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Are there seriously people who think you get reservations for the High Line park? The hell? 

They stop letting people in after a certain number. I would bet that some institutions have "VIP passes" that they hand out to donors/board members.

• Useful 1
On 2/13/2022 at 1:28 AM, peridot said:

Neff was so contemptuous towards Rachel, but they were in the exact same boat - Anna paid for everything and gave them lavish gifts.

That puzzled me too.  And we weren't shown it in a way that indicated an awareness on her part that they were both in the same boat.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, Melina22 said:

I don't understand why Neff now has no film money. All she paid for was one dinner. How much could that even cost? $200?

On 2/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, FozzyBear said:

I imagine it could have been a very expensive dinner but even say it was around $500, was that all of her savings? I don’t mean to dismiss $500, that’s a ton of money to me, but Anna tipped her at least that much. Did Anna talk her into paying for other stuff that she isn’t admitting to? Did she actually pay Anna’s hotel bill or something?

So here's what they showed.  Neff got her phone out to transfer money so she could pay the bill.  She started typing in an amount that started with '14'.  Given where they were at, it wouldn't be $140 something, it would probably be $1400 something.  Then they showed where she was transferring the money from.  Her Checking Account balance was negative $980 and looked like it said Overdrawn below that.  Her Film Fund had $3600 in it, and had On Deposit below that.  Then she made the payment and the balance in the Checking Account was now positive $420 and said On Deposit below it, while her Film Fund had $2200.  So it appears she took $1400 from her Film Fund and put it in her Checking Account.

What makes no sense is that we saw at least 7 or 8 occasions where Anna tipped Neff $100, and given how long Anna stayed at the hotel, there would have been many, many, many such tips that we didn't see.  Neff would have had far, far more in her Film Fund.  I don't think Neff paid on any other occasion, or we would probably have been shown something about that.  I just think the writers did a bad job and didn't think about it like we are!  And I don't see any way Neff could have paid Anna's hotel bill....eventually we'll find out who did, I hope!

On 2/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

Ok, so I finally get why Vivian hates her editor so much.  She still should do the interview, though.  Why let the kid who lied to her for the disastrous story - and apparently gave her fake bank statements and had his parents lying for him, too - drive the narrative??  That's just self-defeating and silly.  

And they have not done a good job of explaining why Vivian won't do the interview.  If it's just cause her editor has asked her to, and she is acting out of anger at him, then that's very serious self-sabotage and she's more of an idiot than we've even been shown.  If it's cause she's worried they'd twist what she said and make her look stupid, then we should hear that.  And if not either of those two, then I don't know what else!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, lucindabelle said:

1) I don’t care what your editor says you fact check anything potentially libelous yourself. And listicles don’t usually include interview even on the phone.

3) it’s the whole PUBLICATION on the book for any libel not an individual reporter which is why newspapers have legal departments- and certainly New York magazine (please it’s even the same font) which has a kitchen full of snacks for reporters would have one.

This whole time I have been waiting for the big reveal of what Vivian did wrong, and I was expecting something along the lines of Jayson Blair or Dan Rather...so it turns out to be a freaking listicle!??!

Also, does anyone know what happened with the real journalist, that tarnished her reputation?

On 2/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

The actor playing Anna's lawyer is great, but they clearly have no idea what to do with him (for some insane reason, we've seen zero interactions between him and his client, the actual subject of this miniseries) ... so we get contrived silliness like Vivian flouncing into his office uninvited every episode just to shoot the shit.  As lawyers and journalists famously do all day long.  🙄 

I'm worried about where they may be taking the plot, given that the lawyer spontaneously noticed Vivian's new hairdo and her husband couldn't tell the difference even after knowing about it, and also how he gave her the back pain relief massage spot.

• Love 2

One other ridiculous thing..Kacy is supposed to be this amazing trainer..  Yet she had all three girls doing the same workout, regardless of their different levels of fitness, and Neff was falling apart and flopping around on the treadmill and completely losing her form, which no decent trainer would allow to happen.

• Like 1
On 3/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, LuvMyShows said:

What makes no sense is that we saw at least 7 or 8 occasions where Anna tipped Neff $100, and given how long Anna stayed at the hotel, there would have been many, many, many such tips that we didn't see.  Neff would have had far, far more in her Film Fund.

It's possible that because Neff was tipped in cash, she kept it as cash so she wouldn't have tax implications. Her Film Fund was likely a mostly legit savings (i.e., from her paycheck), with maybe some cash tips mostly from Anna.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's possible that because Neff was tipped in cash, she kept it as cash so she wouldn't have tax implications

This. As a former server, a good portion of tips were kept in cash as spending money.

As for Neff, her boyfriend made a comment that she should stop counting on her “shoebox of cash” or something. 

What I wonder about Anna’s story in general is that they say that most of it is true, except for the parts that aren’t. Isn’t that the tagline? But does the “not true” part refer to Anna’s untruths or is the storytelling itself partly untrue? If it’s the second one, I have to wonder why. It seems Anna’s story is quite interesting as it is; why would they need to embellish it?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Shermie said:

This. As a former server, a good portion of tips were kept in cash as spending money.

As for Neff, her boyfriend made a comment that she should stop counting on her “shoebox of cash” or something. 

What I wonder about Anna’s story in general is that they say that most of it is true, except for the parts that aren’t. Isn’t that the tagline? But does the “not true” part refer to Anna’s untruths or is the storytelling itself partly untrue? If it’s the second one, I have to wonder why. It seems Anna’s story is quite interesting as it is; why would they need to embellish it?

At first I thought the tagline meant the former of what you say in a clever way, but after reading about the real Anna and story versus this show, I guess it's the latter only, if not both.  We know that Vivian is not the real journalist and Val was made up, etc.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, lucindabelle said:

i have no sympathy for Vivian I’m tired of hearing her complain about the baby and how it will ruin her life, and her failure to do due diligence is on HER. She’s not wrong that the editor shares the blame- b it he always would have and Landon would know that too.

A thousand times this. And for the amount of research the “old” reporters were portrayed as having done for another reporter’s story, they should have had a shared byline. Large organizations like I’m assuming NY Mag is, usually have their own research department and researchers should also be credited at the end of the article. Most other reporters, regardless of age, are trying to chase down sources for their own stories and trying to get copy to their editors before deadline. Nobody has time to go around panty shopping for another reporter’s story. Get real.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

We’ve been shown how Vivian records all her interviews, so shouldn’t she have a recording to back up the story the kid told her? Unless now she’s extra diligent about it because of that story

• Like 1

Neff's boyfriend was certainly the voice of reason this episode!   I wanted to like Neff (and I'd watch the actress in something else, she's great), but she really grated on me ... so much so that when her boyfriend finally told her point blank "you were scammed" and "you're making excuses not to film your movie", I was like "thank you!!"   Maybe it was her being so impressed by being at dinner with Martin Shkrelli -- like, really?  Even before he really got in trouble with the law, people knew he was a nasty little shit for deliberately jacking up medication prices.  Anyway, it's hard to care too much since Neff apparently got paid back, unlike everyone else.  

[...] The actor playing Anna's lawyer is great, but they clearly have no idea what to do with him (for some insane reason, we've seen zero interactions between him and his client, the actual subject of this miniseries) ... so we get contrived silliness like Vivian flouncing into his office uninvited every episode just to shoot the shit.  As lawyers and journalists famously do all day long.  🙄      

Maybe they thought we needed a slow build to see Anna as a scammer but I feel like anyone coming to this show knows that Anna is a criminal. From episode 1, Neff (as a character) has just seemed like an idiot. Her boyfriend is right. The fact that she is still supporting Anna in the present timeline, not as a "hustler" but truly believing she does have money and was telling the truth makes her more of a moron. It also doesn't gel with what I know of the real Neff from My Friend Anna. The show really wants to make Rachel a villain but it presents Neff as bought and paid for and less savvy than she thinks she is. Neff sees herself as an outsider but she's fully bought into the world and capes for the rich and famous. I would like to see Neff's actress in a different role because she was great while she was being the best ever concierge but it was really hard not to roll my eyes at her this whole episode. The character thinks she's so smart when she's obviously being scammed and dazzled by actually getting to experience the luxury she usually just watches from a distance.

The sexual harassment scene was pointless. It'd be like making a Martin Shkreli show and inventing a scene where he was abused by his nanny. It has no grounding in reality and only exists to try and make Anna sympathetic. 

I also agree that they don't know what to do with the lawyer. They don't know what to do with most of these characters. I continue to love Scriberia and I'd happily watch these actors in better projects. Maybe they'll have better roles on the next Shonda show.

I didn't understand why Vivian was so disrespectful to her editor, but wow at what he did.  She's stuck at that job with no other prospects.  I would hate having to make nice with the jerk.

They did invent a backstory that justifies all Vivian's bitterness. But is there no paper trail or evidence of her version of events? Why put up with that if you have proof you were wronged? "You made a choice to hurt me for your own personal gain" felt like it was about Anna. I wish the show would focus on that rather than the girlbossing. 

Aby Rosen's sons aren't unattractive but they definitely got an adaptational attractiveness upgrade. 

They stepped up the fashion this episode so that was fun. I only remember Rachel's book vaguely but I think things played out differently. Neff was invited to be the videographer on the trip. And I don't think the payment was so neatly solved. I remember Anna being thrown out of the hotel with her stuff. 

So here's what they showed.  Neff got her phone out to transfer money so she could pay the bill.  She started typing in an amount that started with '14'.  Given where they were at, it wouldn't be $140 something, it would probably be $1400 something.  Then they showed where she was transferring the money from.  Her Checking Account balance was negative $980 and looked like it said Overdrawn below that.  Her Film Fund had $3600 in it, and had On Deposit below that.  Then she made the payment and the balance in the Checking Account was now positive $420 and said On Deposit below it, while her Film Fund had $2200.  So it appears she took $1400 from her Film Fund and put it in her Checking Account.

Good eye. The lighting is terrible and Netflix makes it difficult to pause. I saw the same numbers but I thought the $420 was how much she paid for dinner. Why was there so much in her film fund if she was overdrawn? Anyway, I think we're supposed to understand that Neff quickly gives up on her film if it doesn't seem like things are perfect and she has what she needs to get started. Though depending on the film, I think you would need a few thousand dollars, not $2200. Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi for $7000 in 1992 money. 

This whole time I have been waiting for the big reveal of what Vivian did wrong, and I was expecting something along the lines of Jayson Blair or Dan Rather...so it turns out to be a freaking listicle!??!

It feels like they didn't want to commit to making Anna Chlumsky actually unlikable for a past transgression. It really seemed like it was going to be about getting too close to a source and crossing professional boundaries or at least an accusation of inappropriate behavior along those lines. That would fit with everything we've seen with Vivian so far and how she has gotten chummy with the lawyer and is led by her emotions and wanted to find Anna sympathetic at first. 

I think they wanted a more sympathetic lead character and they also clearly want to say some girlboss stuff but Anna as a real person doesn't fit the story they want to tell. 

• Like 1