Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Lightning Yellow Hair

tessaray
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Yay, Sam the Comanche! He's pretty.

Shea gets a Raylan Givens-style hole in

his hat. I didn't recognize Taylor Sheridan with a full beard until he spoke.

Lord have mercy YES he is!!!! Whew!!Cate Blanchett Ifc GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was sad with the ending of this episode.  What are they going to do with only a few wagons?  I wanted to see how they pull everything they can together and move on.  Joseph crying was heartbreaking--was his wife now going to be strong for the both of them?  We don't know cuz Taylor skipped over this for the bandits and Meggie's murder.  

Part of the appeal for me is watching this from the historical pov.  I have gone to the internet multiple times to get more info on the pioneers, the trail, everyday life etc.  It is fascinating to me to try and understand what they willingly set out to do to find a better life.  So it was really a missing piece not seeing how they regroup after the weather event.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Sunnykm said:

I was sad with the ending of this episode.  What are they going to do with only a few wagons?  I wanted to see how they pull everything they can together and move on.  Joseph crying was heartbreaking--was his wife now going to be strong for the both of them?  We don't know cuz Taylor skipped over this for the bandits and Meggie's murder.  

Part of the appeal for me is watching this from the historical pov.  I have gone to the internet multiple times to get more info on the pioneers, the trail, everyday life etc.  It is fascinating to me to try and understand what they willingly set out to do to find a better life.  So it was really a missing piece not seeing how they regroup after the weather event.

For me the day to day is the most interesting, and I wonder if the writers know how they move on. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Is Elsa going to fall in love with someone new every episode?  The cowboy she flirted with last week looks enough like Kayce that I think he'll end up with her.  "I may have overestimated my appeal."  Or maybe not, in the long run.

Losing everything like that is heartbreaking.  Why didn't Shea know enough to follow the cook?  

That's a nasty wound in James's back.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:25 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Yay, Sam the Comanche! He's pretty.

Yes, yes he is.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Is Elsa going to fall in love with someone new every episode?  The cowboy she flirted with last week looks enough like Kayce that I think he'll end up with her.  "I may have overestimated my appeal."  Or maybe not, in the long run.

Losing everything like that is heartbreaking.  Why didn't Shea know enough to follow the cook?  

Yes, yes he is.

It wouldn't be surprising if one of those gunshot wounds festered. I'd hate to lose any of the actors, though.

Elsa is still living in a dream world where everyone is open and nice, except for the people who deserve to be shot without mercy. Maybe this trip is a little slice of the world where prejudices can be set aside. I haven't watched Yellowstone but, given the general bits I've picked up, I've toyed with the idea that maybe if Elsa goes off with a commache her descendants might claim the dutton land at some point.

• Love 2

Were the 12 guys they took out really cattle thieves, though?  From what I understood they came across cattle on their own, not branded, so how were they to know that someone else had claim to them?  Unless I missed something that they knew they were being trailed by someone who knew they had a herd.

Unless we see Elsa lose it, I hope they put in an Easter egg for Yellowstone watchers where somewhere in Kevin Costner’s house you see the 135 year old hair token Sam made.

Elsa is going to get herself a reputation if she’s not careful.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

This episode encapsulated the bleakness that I was worried about when I heard about the premise of this show.  It was so depressing.  Tornado wipes out almost all of the wagons.  The pioneers get into a gunfight with another gang.  Margaret kills a man.  About the only good thing that came out of this episode was to show that the Comanche (well, Sam at least) and the pioneers get along, as long as you pay the toll tax.

I am assuming there are only three episodes left, since Yellowstone seasons always only have 10 episodes.  Seems like there is a lot to cover in three episodes.  I'm not even really sure where they are right now... are they somewhere in Colorado?  Seems like an awfully long way to go still to get to Oregon.  And will be interesting to see how the Duttons end up in Montana instead of Oregon.

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Were the 12 guys they took out really cattle thieves, though?  From what I understood they came across cattle on their own, not branded, so how were they to know that someone else had claim to them?  Unless I missed something that they knew they were being trailed by someone who knew they had a herd.

Unless we see Elsa lose it, I hope they put in an Easter egg for Yellowstone watchers where somewhere in Kevin Costner’s house you see the 135 year old hair token Sam made.

I was wondering the same thing... they came across a bunch of cattle roaming around unattended.  Unless it is known that there are no wild cattle in the area, it seems to me that they are fair game.  But perhaps they knew they were claimed, because as soon as Shea and James and Thomas rode up, they started shooting.

In Yellowstone Season 5 I am definitely expecting to see some connections with 1883 show up.  Some heretofore unseen photos on the wall of John's study, some artifact in a display case, maybe James' hat hanging on the wall, Beth holding a framed photo of her (presumed) great great grandmother Elsa.

Not sure what the point of showing Elsa ho-ing it up is... so that we are wondering who is going to be the Dutton great grandpa?  She slept with Ennis fairly quickly, showed interest in new bearded friend, and then had some kind of connection with Sam.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:25 AM, NeenerNeener said:

I didn't recognize Taylor Sheridan with a full beard until he spoke.

That was him?  As the cowboy who rode up to Shea near the end?  I didn't recognise him at all and I thought it was odd that this random cowboy just shows up out of nowhere, but I get it now.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am assuming there are only three episodes left, since Yellowstone seasons always only have 10 episodes.  Seems like there is a lot to cover in three episodes.  I'm not even really sure where they are right now... are they somewhere in Colorado?  Seems like an awfully long way to go still to get to Oregon. 

They seem to be in Oklahoma. They said the closest place to get wagons is in Denver, and they are a month's journey away from Doan's Crossing, where they stopped in the last episode.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

They seem to be in Oklahoma. They said the closest place to get wagons is in Denver, and they are a month's journey away from Doan's Crossing, where they stopped in the last episode.

I'm starting to wonder if they are even going to make it to Montana this season.  It would be nice to know if Sheridan had planned the story as a multiseason arc, or if he intended to write a season in which they make it to Montana by the first season's end.

Given that Sheridan seems to have carte blanche to do whatever he wants at Paramount, he could easily have taken the first approach.  "1883" could be intended to explore the journey from Texas to Montana, and it could very well just keep continuing into a Season 2.  This would decidedly make me pretty unhappy... I want some answers as to things we have already seen.  1) I want to know if/how Elsa survives that attack in the opening scenes of the series, or if it was all a dream, 2) we saw a scene in "Yellowstone" of James and two boys which was set some years after "1883", and 3) is Spencer the son of Elsa or Margaret.   If this season ends with the pioneers still on the path of hardship on their long journey to Oregon, it will be completely unsatisfying.

The second option is that the Duttons reach Montana.  Then in a potential Season 2, we can see all the things I had hoped to see when this series was first announced.  How the Duttons acquired the land, how they defended it, how they grew it, how they interacted with the small towns that are popping up.  This would be a lot more interesting and welcome to me than watching the pioneers continually suffering.

If they make it to Montana, I wonder where that is going to leave Shea and Thomas and the German/Slavic immigrants.  I would imagine Shea and Thomas can stick around at the fledgling ranch in Season 2, but maybe the rest of them (except Thomas' lover) will move on.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I'm starting to wonder if they are even going to make it to Montana this season.  It would be nice to know if Sheridan had planned the story as a multiseason arc, or if he intended to write a season in which they make it to Montana by the first season's end.

Given that Sheridan seems to have carte blanche to do whatever he wants at Paramount, he could easily have taken the first approach.  "1883" could be intended to explore the journey from Texas to Montana, and it could very well just keep continuing into a Season 2.  This would decidedly make me pretty unhappy... I want some answers as to things we have already seen.  1) I want to know if/how Elsa survives that attack in the opening scenes of the series, or if it was all a dream, 2) we saw a scene in "Yellowstone" of James and two boys which was set some years after "1883", and 3) is Spencer the son of Elsa or Margaret.   If this season ends with the pioneers still on the path of hardship on their long journey to Oregon, it will be completely unsatisfying.

The second option is that the Duttons reach Montana.  Then in a potential Season 2, we can see all the things I had hoped to see when this series was first announced.  How the Duttons acquired the land, how they defended it, how they grew it, how they interacted with the small towns that are popping up.  This would be a lot more interesting and welcome to me than watching the pioneers continually suffering.

If they make it to Montana, I wonder where that is going to leave Shea and Thomas and the German/Slavic immigrants.  I would imagine Shea and Thomas can stick around at the fledgling ranch in Season 2, but maybe the rest of them (except Thomas' lover) will move on.

Shea is taking his piece of his wife’s soul to see the ocean. 

• Love 1

Part of me thinks that this is all Elsa's dream. Thinking back to the opening scene, she is coming to consciousness into a very terrible reality in her original dress. After all she has done, what are the odds that she would have found that same dress again and actually want to wear it?

If it is a dream, I will be amazingly disappointed. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Affogato said:

Shea is taking his piece of his wife’s soul to see the ocean. 

I get that he wants to go to the ocean.  But if there is a Season 2 and they still want Sam Elliott on the show, I imagine they will find a reason to keep him in Montana with the Duttons.  Maybe he keeps going to the ocean and then finds the Duttons again later in Montana.

3 hours ago, Rorysmom said:

Part of me thinks that this is all Elsa's dream. Thinking back to the opening scene, she is coming to consciousness into a very terrible reality in her original dress. After all she has done, what are the odds that she would have found that same dress again and actually want to wear it?

It would be an interesting choice if the entire season was a dream in Elsa's mind.  Some of us are old enough to remember the "dream season" of "Dallas", and I think the producers were roundly criticised for it.  Granted, they didn't have much of a choice after one of their stars decided to return.

Imagine if Elsa wakes up in a comfortable four poster bed in a huge house in Montana... "why, y'all, ah just hahd the most horrid dreahm, ah dreamt that weeze wuz gettin via foot and wagons, and there wuz a tornado and bandits and an Injun attack, it was just so hahribble!  Then ah remehmburred we booked first class tickets on the magical storytellin exposishun exprehsss and here we are in Montany!"

Ugh.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I get that he wants to go to the ocean.  But if there is a Season 2 and they still want Sam Elliott on the show, I imagine they will find a reason to keep him in Montana with the Duttons.  Maybe he keeps going to the ocean and then finds the Duttons again later in Montana.

It would be an interesting choice if the entire season was a dream in Elsa's mind.  Some of us are old enough to remember the "dream season" of "Dallas", and I think the producers were roundly criticised for it.  Granted, they didn't have much of a choice after one of their stars decided to return.

Imagine if Elsa wakes up in a comfortable four poster bed in a huge house in Montana... "why, y'all, ah just hahd the most horrid dreahm, ah dreamt that weeze wuz gettin via foot and wagons, and there wuz a tornado and bandits and an Injun attack, it was just so hahribble!  Then ah remehmburred we booked first class tickets on the magical storytellin exposishun exprehsss and here we are in Montany!"

Ugh.

Well yes that sounds awful.

In the second episode Elsa sees a body riddled with arrows and a broken wagon near the riverbank (where the germans ate drinking dead deer tea without boiling it). It reminded me of the scene from the beginning. The way the arrows were placed in the back of the reains exhoed the ones in the dead man in the first scene. It seemed like a moment. 

It would be interesting to know how many seasons are planned. 

if I actually had to place money down I don’t know what I would bet on happening. I’m guessing either she doesn’t end up having much to do with the ranch or she founds and manages it in Johns name after their parents die. But I honestly don’t knowvv

• Love 1

From episode 1:

“But if this is Hell, then I must be a demon, too. And I’m already dead.”

Elsa is having the most fantastical experience for it to be real. Although this episode was great, kissing her indigenous guide as the eye of a tornado passes over them? C'mon, man.

And without going back to look, is he the same indigenous man that she spoke to as they were being overtaken?

Now, I am truly hoping that I am wrong. Because I really enjoy the show. 

• Love 3
On 2/7/2022 at 12:00 AM, Sunnykm said:

I have gone to the internet multiple times to get more info on the pioneers, the trail, everyday life etc.  It is fascinating to me to try and understand what they willingly set out to do to find a better life. 

If you want a really good source for life on the trail, one that specifically focuses on the trail and isn't long and dry, the Auto Tour Guides from the National Park Service each have a brief (15-60 pages) history of what specific groups faced on the trail in that particular area (they are done by region/state). They are also helpful should you ever choose to go to any of those places.

There were a couple of off moments in terms of historical accuracy in this episode. I wasn't thrilled with them saying these people couldn't walk the whole way since that's what basically everyone did. It's only 10-20 miles a day - mostly on the low end of that. The Mormons walked and pulled their own handcarts, they had no wagons at all. If these people can't walk, they have zero business being on the trail. And I'm still confused about how they had the money to kit themselves out with wagons, livestock and supplies and pay to be in the wagon train, but somehow couldn't afford train tickets. That math doesn't work.

I told my dad at the start of the episode that a lot of people were tired of Elsa and her constant man drama and he didn't really get it. Then she made out with Sam in the middle of a tornado and he understood completely. What the hell was that? 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

If you want a really good source for life on the trail, one that specifically focuses on the trail and isn't long and dry, the Auto Tour Guides from the National Park Service each have a brief (15-60 pages) history of what specific groups faced on the trail in that particular area (they are done by region/state). They are also helpful should you ever choose to go to any of those places.

There were a couple of off moments in terms of historical accuracy in this episode. I wasn't thrilled with them saying these people couldn't walk the whole way since that's what basically everyone did. It's only 10-20 miles a day - mostly on the low end of that. The Mormons walked and pulled their own handcarts, they had no wagons at all. If these people can't walk, they have zero business being on the trail. And I'm still confused about how they had the money to kit themselves out with wagons, livestock and supplies and pay to be in the wagon train, but somehow couldn't afford train tickets. That math doesn't work.

I told my dad at the start of the episode that a lot of people were tired of Elsa and her constant man drama and he didn't really get it. Then she made out with Sam in the middle of a tornado and he understood completely. What the hell was that? 

The only thing I can think is that they wanted to take the piano and so on and the luggage limits on the train were small. Of course ignorant. I guess the dittons were more comfortable with car trips, so to speak. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Rorysmom said:

Although this episode was great, kissing her indigenous guide as the eye of a tornado passes over them? C'mon, man.

Only a man would write that imminent death makes a woman horny. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9

I watched a few episodes of Yellowstone and couldn't get into it.  Since I like Westerns, I started watching 1883 and have been enjoying it a great deal..  And I love Sam Elliot whenever he does Westerns.  I think this is a realistic portrayal of what the pioneers had to go through.  The one thing that is drying me crazy is Elsa's wardrobe.  The form-fitting jeans and sleeveless form fitting top is just taking me right out of the period..  Women didn't wear clothing like that in the 1880's.  If women wore pants at all, they'd be much more loose and boxy.  The outfit she was prancing around in was suitable for modern day.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

If this all turns into some weird dream thing, I definitely will be disappointed.

Add me to the list of people who think kissing during a tornado seemed odd but maybe it's to show her as fearless. I didn't love it and I did really enjoy the rest of the interactions between yellow hair and Sam.

The stunt rider for yellowhair is really good and no I don't think it's the actress doing that riding.

I love faith hill in this. Every. Scene.

I did love Shea laying down with his horse during the storm...it's something I would do, Shows true bond. He is such a complicated layered character.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, rhygirl720 said:

I did love Shea laying down with his horse during the storm...it's something I would do, Shows true bond. He is such a complicated layered character.

Definitely military training. 

• Love 1
On 2/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, Affogato said:

For me the day to day is the most interesting, and I wonder if the writers know how they move on. 

It's feeling like Yellowstone all over again. Yellowstone started off compelling and reasonably realistic then went over the top and I always think it's because they never thought about the long game. Seems they are doing the same here. 

On 2/7/2022 at 11:09 PM, Haleth said:

Seems like it. And it's always going to be a man that most father's would rather kill than allow to even look at their daughter. Elsa as Rodeo Barbie was enough but now she gets to openly flirt with an Indian and that is just accepted for 1883? Really? Even Sam's own tribe would be disapproving. 

And Sam would be ok with having a horse race with a woman? And losing? I don't think so.

The Comanche were one of the most violent tribes as well. Even other tribes feared them due to their brutality. I think Sam is a little idealized but the whole series is seen through the eyes of a romantic girl.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:03 AM, toodywoody said:

I'm wondering now if Elsa winds ups saved by Sam in the beginning sequence. 

Or if they wind up together and her pregnant with his kid and then there is claim to the land.

Looking that way. Or she finds another Indian. She seems to burn through men.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:11 PM, mojoween said:

Those men were also quick to fight so perhaps they thought they were being set upon by thieves? On a related note, I don't understand why they didn't keep their horses after killing them. Given how much they just lost you would think you would want to take whatever they had.

That would be a fun Easter egg. I think it's too late, Elsa has a rep and through the magic of television it is perfectly accepted as normal even though it is set in 1883.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, bennyblue said:

So Elsa's a bit of a ho?

A lot *ahem* big ho... Very unrealistic that her parents just seem to accept it. Unless they are planning to reign her in once they reach civilization again. She is becoming tiresome just like Beth in Yellowstone.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:15 PM, Rorysmom said:

That would make sense. I find her to be a let down to the series really. For the most part it seems realistic enough but then having her behave like that, I just don't buy it. I am not saying women were weak or useless back then, to the contrary really. But she can just flirt and have sex with guys and that is ok?

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2022 at 2:26 AM, KAOS Agent said:

Elsa hasn't really bothered me too much but I rolled my eyes at that. I was like girl, come on. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/10/2022 at 5:07 AM, Affogato said:

The only thing I can think is that they wanted to take the piano and so on and the luggage limits on the train were small. Of course ignorant. I guess the dittons were more comfortable with car trips, so to speak. 

I did look into this. It was not one trip. There would have been expensive layovers. The baggage they hoped to carry would have been an issue. Also i bet they planned on using the ixen for farming. 

• Love 1
On 2/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, bennyblue said:

So Elsa's a bit of a ho?

I’ve actually started calling the show “Little Ho on the Prairie” because I’m classy like that. I like all the characters except the one I’m supposed to like because Elsa is really starting to grate on my nerves. I want more Thomas backstory! I would also watch Sam Elliot read a phone book. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Loving every episode of this show. I got shivers by that last voice over by Elsa though & just knew I'd heard some of it before; 

I remember the stories of heaven and hell in church. Lies, a lot of it. I think heaven's right here. So is hell. One person can be walking the clouds right next to a person enduring eternal damnation, and God is the land. - Beth Dutton (Yellowstone, s2, ep7)

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

The pretender said:

I just knew I'd heard some of Elsa's last voice over before! Beth Dutton - seas.2 ep. 7

I caught that when she said it too! I'm thinking that Elsa's voice overs are entries from her diary and perhaps the diary will make an appearance in a Yellowstone episode with Beth showing Rip where she got that philosophical idea she shared with him when they were on that roof...

Edited by BlueHawk
Reference quote (approximation due to bungling of quote feature)

Elsa seems like a HUGE liability on the trail, attracting attention from every newcomer.   If the show were more historically accurate, I suspect her parents would have reigned her in long ago.   Yellow Lightning Hair.  I have seen a lithograph of Indian artifacts with a scalp of yellow hair taken from an emigrant girl.   This illustration is from a book published in 1883.  The accompanying text for artifact No. 8 says "Scalp of a Little White Girl.  The scalp was taken from the Comanches.  The little girl was about nine years old."

I'm guessing the writers of the show have seen this picture.  Artifact No. 3 looks familiar.  "Sheath of a scalping knife (Cheyenne)"

Objects-Interest,Curiosity.aspx

Edited by millennium
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

The story started out as an odyssey adventure, but I'm worried that it's quickly pivoting to something that would be more at home in a historical romance novel.  The show creator inserting himself awkwardly into the middle of the story isn't a good sign either.   And while I'm griping, Elsa's voiceovers are like Bad Creative Writing 101.

• Love 5
On 2/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, millennium said:

Elsa seems like a HUGE liability on the trail, attracting attention from every newcomer.   If the show were more historically accurate, I suspect her parents would have reigned her in long ago.   Yellow Lightning Hair.  I have seen a lithograph of Indian artifacts with a scalp of yellow hair taken from an emigrant girl.   This illustration is from a book published in 1883.  The accompanying text for artifact No. 8 says "Scalp of a Little White Girl.  The scalp was taken from the Comanches.  The little girl was about nine years old."

I'm guessing the writers of the show have seen this picture.  Artifact No. 3 looks familiar.  "Sheath of a scalping knife (Cheyenne)"

Objects-Interest,Curiosity.aspx

The Comanche were the most brutal and hated and feared tribe even by other Native Tribes. This continuing ideal that Native American's were the salt of the Earth who wouldn't hurt a fly has gotten old. They were just as violent and aggressive as any other race on the planet. Also that sleeveless number Elsa wears is soo non Native. The colours so bright and fake. Just like her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/6/2022 at 7:40 PM, LadyIrony said:

The Comanche were the most brutal and hated and feared tribe even by other Native Tribes.

And Charles Goodnight made a career out of chasing them down and killing them, so I have to wonder if that would be him riding around out there by himself in their area.

I too wondered why they didn't pick up the horses for the migrants, at least.  And definitely any firearms and ammunition for the rest of the trip.

Whatever profanity they have been uttering has just been floating over me, so I'll have to pay more attention, but I thought Shea had been a lot freer with his vocabulary than Elsa's mother would have allowed.  Yet the cook caught all the flak.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:26 PM, KAOS Agent said:

I am just catching up on this show and I thought that was utterly ridiculous! Who does that?  Her scenes just annoy me so much sometimes, LOL

Also the amount of commercials seems over the top to me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, andidante said:

I am just catching up on this show and I thought that was utterly ridiculous! Who does that?  Her scenes just annoy me so much sometimes, LOL

She hasn’t really annoyed me until this episode. That scene was just ridiculous. I felt like I was reading fan fiction written by a 15 year old girl. The fact that it was written by a grown man is laughable. Then when she told her father that the tornado was beautiful… really? Was it beautiful when you were screaming your head off?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1