Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

My guess is Karen Chen will get the nod. 

I think so too. Isn't she the driving force for the ladies getting 3 entries this year? Mariah certainly has a FS that generates "a moment" (at least for me) but I think Karen's skating career deserves the medal more. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone have a schedule of the US times for the events?

There's a toggle to change the times to your local time on the schedule. I think the men's SP portion starts right around 9PM EST, Ice Dance around 10:30PM EST, and pairs right around midnight EST (Schedule)

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

That's their best score this season, otherwise they've been scoring around 190, where as Knierim/Frazier are scoring more consistently over 200 points.

image.png.26cbf14bb7ff56aa5d481f8d0149da94.png

The Grand Prix scores are what matter if we’re looking at how international judges in the Olympics will judge them. They are very close in that regard. I had to look up the first competition on that list. Who cares about the John Nicks Pair Challenge from September? That should not count more than winning Nationals last month.

• Love 2

So far USFSA has not listened to any of my recommendations. Good to see Jason is cheerleading even if he will not be skating. 

Ukraine does not have an entry in Men and Germany does not have an entry in Pairs in the Team Event.  They each had skaters qualified in those events  I wonder if COVID reared its ugly head? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I think so too. Isn't she the driving force for the ladies getting 3 entries this year? Mariah certainly has a FS that generates "a moment" (at least for me) but I think Karen's skating career deserves the medal more. 

I think so.  How many points did they need for 3 spots? I looked it up Karen finished 4th and Bradie finished 9th. 

7 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think so.  How many points did they need for 3 spots? I looked it up Karen finished 4th and Bradie finished 9th. 

The placements have to add up to 13 or less for 3 slots, so they just made the cutoff, but the selection process looked weird, and the US technically got their third slot via Alysa Lui with the CS Nebelhorn.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

The placements have to add up to 13 or less for 3 slots, so they just made the cutoff, but the selection process looked weird, and the US technically got their third slot via Alysa Lui with the CS Nebelhorn.

Thanks for the info! How were they able to get the spot with Alysa Lui at CS Nebelhorn? I thought it was only through World Championships? (I am just starting to get into figure skating besides watching every four years). 

The John Nicks Challenge and Cranberry Cup are not ISU sanctioned events international events they didn’t have full international panels but multiple American judges. I don’t have a problem with Knierim/Frazier getting the nod but I do think Ashley/Timothy earned it at Nationals. 

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Thanks for the info! How were they able to get the spot with Alysa Lui at CS Nebelhorn? I thought it was only through World Championships? (I am just starting to get into figure skating besides watching every four years). 

Ha! I'm trying to figure it all myself too! I think it's because of this:

At the World Championships, countries were able to qualify up to three entries in each discipline according to the system in place for earning multiple spots to the 2022 World Championships. However, for the Olympics, if a country earned two or three spots, but did not have two or three skaters/teams, respectively, qualified for the free segment, the country must qualify the second or third spot at Nebelhorn Trophy. Each discipline qualified independently.

Since the US only had 2 women at World's that year, they couldn't meet the criteria for 3 entries at World's, but were eligible to earn the third slot via Nebelhorn. The same thing happened with Men's. Nathan WON the competition, and Jason made Top 10, but because Vincent Zhou bit it during the SP and they let it count as a "withdraw", they had to earn the third slot (I think?)

Edited by absnow54
35 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So far USFSA has not listened to any of my recommendations. Good to see Jason is cheerleading even if he will not be skating. 

Ukraine does not have an entry in Men and Germany does not have an entry in Pairs in the Team Event.  They each had skaters qualified in those events  I wonder if COVID reared its ugly head? 

I love Jason’s skating so much, and I love that he always has a just-happy-to-be-here vibe. He has a Team Medal from Sochi, otherwise I would be crushed if he’s not in the Team Event. I think Vincent earned the spot, but just barely.

• Love 6

Olympics limit the number of competitors to make it manageable. The US won the right to have 3 spots at the Olympics by Karen and Bradie’s placement at Worlds. But since the US had only 2 women competing at Worlds last year, they had to show that they had another woman who had the skills to compete by scoring in the top six at the qualifying event. Which was Nebelhorn. It had to be someone other than the two woman who competed at Worlds. Alysa wasn’t hold enough to compete at last year’s Worlds but could compete this year and won the US the third spot at Nebelhorn. By the way, the country earned the spot so the US could have sent any three women they wanted. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Ha! I'm trying to figure it all myself too! I think it's because of this:

Since the US only had 2 women at World's that year, they couldn't meet the criteria for 3 entries at World's, but were eligible to earn the third slot via Nebelhorn. The same thing happened with Men's. Nathan WON the competition, and Jason made Top 10, but because Vincent Zhou bit it during the SP and they let it count as a "withdraw", they had to earn the third slot (I think?)

Thank you!

43 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Is there a way to watch the figure skating events live in the USA?

Yes. Peacock. It’s only $4.99/month and you can watch without commentary live and the replays are available just a few minutes after the event ended. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

As @healthnut mentioned, you can subscribe to Peacock, or, since figure skating aligns with primetime, NBC will air the competition live, but their coverage will pop in and out to cover other events, and will probably break at some point for local news.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

IOC worked closely with the Japanese government for its covid policy during the games. The only other games that happened during the pandemic. 

These Games are just another example of how the IOC is among the most corrupt entities in the world, which is what I meant when I said the IOC was in no position to tell any government what to do (I mean, at this point, Thomas Bach's basically a slave puppet for the Chinese propaganda machine: Peng Shuai is FINE, the human rights abuses are FINE, pay no attention to all the kickbacks!!).  The Chinese government has exactly no interest in working with the IOC on its COVID protocols since it's in the power position and has no incentive to change anything.  Now, do I think these protocols are actually for the good of public health?  Hell to the no.  It's theatre; it's a propaganda tool to control the Chinese people further; and, I'm positive, it's a potential conduit for state-sponsored cheating (2014 redux): conjure a positive COVID test for any athlete who has ever said anything non-positive about China (if I were competing, I'd bring a burner phone to China so that the government couldn't hack my regular phone) or who might be a medal rival to a Chinese athlete.

I'm an Olympics fanatic, but I just can't get excited about these Games.  I know I'll still watch most events, but...I just find myself depressed by these Games because of all the chicanery.

Given COVID and other issues, I wish they had approached the Games differently. Instead of one county hosting the entire event, split it up between them. One country handles the ice sports, one the snowboarding, one the skiing, etc. You wouldn’t have these huge numbers in one place.

• Love 1

I’m surprised Shoma is doing the short. I thought Hanyu would do the short since the men’s event is first. I wonder if he’ll do the long, or if he won’t do the team event at all. Maybe they’re trying to avoid a showdown with Nathan before the individual event, and that’s why he’ll do the long. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yes, Ivan Shmuratko and Nolan Seegert both tested positive.

40 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I’m surprised Shoma is doing the short. I thought Hanyu would do the short since the men’s event is first. I wonder if he’ll do the long, or if he won’t do the team event at all. Maybe they’re trying to avoid a showdown with Nathan before the individual event, and that’s why he’ll do the long. 

Hanyu didn't do the team event in 2018 either.

1 hour ago, HartofDixie said:

Will each country just get the last place points or is it an automatic zero?

I couldn’t find anything in the rules to answer this. They do allow for countries to only have participants in three segments, but nothing as to the scoring. I would imagine they just get zero. 

Edited by healthnut
Grammar
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Last Olympics US had two skaters for the women/men's programs.  I'm surprised one or the other hasn't shared the short/long program this year as well.  

ETA:  These team rules continue to confuzzle me

They’re only allowed 2 substitutions, and gave the second substitution to Ice Dancing this year. 

9 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

In addition to NBC and Peacock, it's also on the NBC Sports app. They're carrying the OBS coverage with minimal commercials.

The app is free, I think you just have to identify your TV provider when you activate the app.

Edited by michelec
It's good to let folks know when an app is free.

I'm not sure if it's our TV's causing audio problems, or if NBC has some kind of technical issues but sometimes the music is too loud and you can barely hear the commentators. Then it switches and you hear commentators but the music is barely heard. I'm watching on a different TV tonight and still experiencing this.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm not sure if it's our TV's causing audio problems, or if NBC has some kind of technical issues but sometimes the music is too loud and you can barely hear the commentators. Then it switches and you hear commentators but the music is barely heard. I'm watching on a different TV tonight and still experiencing this.  

Same thing happened to me. I think it has gotten a little better, but it was really bad during the first couple of skaters. 

• Useful 1

I am only a casual ice skating fan so maybe I am missing something but how did the ROC male skater not get more points deducted for artistry? Every jump he landed looked terrible. Yeah, he didn't fall but he looked like he was about to every time, with visible wobbles. He was overscored in my obviously uneducated opinion.

Has anyone else watched Meddled? Are they going to set up a thread to talk about it because I have lot I want to discuss about the series.

• Love 1

I think I could hear everyone exhaling a collective breath when Nathan hit his last jumping pass. Way to show us this time is different, Nathan!

How lovely to see so many American skaters out to support the team. 

• Love 11