Type keyword(s) to search

Kanye West: The Most Intelligent Celebrity

Message added by Aethera

Discussion of Kanye's run for the US Presidency is off-limits here, unless and until the run appears on the show itself, as per our Politics Policy. https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/94644-politics-primetimer-updated-070319

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I detest him but am also confused as to why he isn't "American" enough. WTF?

Because he's black and his music won't fit in with the Rah Rah America country music on the schedule.  The rednecks wouldn't approve, I guess. 

• Love 6

I can sort of understand why Kanye wouldn't be appropriate for the event particularly in the light of his hospitalization (this is not a sledge on mental illness, more on the fact that he doesn't seem to be ready for a performance in front of billions).  That said, saying that he isn't "American" enough seems pretty damn racist to me.  I don't like him but if being born and bred in America doesn't make you American then what does? 

Saying his music isn't American certainly implies that there is only a certain type of "American" invited.

Edited by ChocolateAddict
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, toolazy said:

Because he's black and his music won't fit in with the Rah Rah America country music on the schedule.  The rednecks wouldn't approve, I guess. 

That's exactly it, and that's the consensus I got from others that posted about this on Facebook.

• Love 4

I have to say I kind of don't blame them for not inviting him (although I think he is just as American as anyone else). Who wants to hear a few "songs" with very vulgar lyrics interspersed with him ranting and using lots of "mother fuckers?"

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

I have to say I kind of don't blame them for not inviting him (although I think he is just as American as anyone else). Who wants to hear a few "songs" with very vulgar lyrics interspersed with him ranting and using lots of "mother fuckers?"

I agree. I don't care to hear him sing about fucking Kim on a sink, having to  watch him grab his crotch every ten seconds, possibly have the show held up for hours cause he doesn't like the lighting or the sound, or go off on another rant about JayZ disrespecting him.  

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

So which "typical and traditional" Americans  are they getting to play - the ghosts of John Philips Sousa and Aaron Copeland?

Jackie Evancho - the 2nd place contestant on a reality show

Some of the Rockettes - a number of them refused to perform at the inauguration

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir - one member quit because "I only know I could never 'throw roses to Hitler.' And I certainly could never sing for him."

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And that would be a perfectly valid reason for not inviting him.  But they didn't say he's too vulgar. They said he's not "American" enough and that is code for not "white" enough.  

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 7

Jennifer Holliday agreed to perform and received death threats, and now people are complaining because Kanye wasn't asked to perform? I'm not following the logic. If he'd been asked and accepted he'd be getting ripped to shreds right now.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jennifer Holliday agreed to perform and received death threats, and now people are complaining because Kanye wasn't asked to perform? I'm not following the logic. If he'd been asked and accepted he'd be getting ripped to shreds right now.

People aren't complaining because he wasn't asked to perform, nobody in their right mind would want Kanye to perform at any event. People are complaining because the reason he wasn't asked is because 'Ye's music wasn't right for the "typically and traditionally American event" They're saying he's not right for an "American" event. I may hate his music & him as a person, but I recognize that he's as "American" as I am. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, GaT said:

People aren't complaining because he wasn't asked to perform, nobody in their right mind would want Kanye to perform at any event. People are complaining because the reason he wasn't asked is because 'Ye's music wasn't right for the "typically and traditionally American event" They're saying he's not right for an "American" event. I may hate his music & him as a person, but I recognize that he's as "American" as I am. 

Gotcha, thanks! They should've just said a simple "he wasn't asked to perform" and left it at that.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Gotcha, thanks! They should've just said a simple "he wasn't asked to perform" and left it at that.

But I have to admit, part of my brain is going "Nah nah nah, So Kanye, how do you feel about saying you would have voted for Trump now? Are you happy you went to Trump Tower & showed everyone what a pal Donald is?" He's lucky they didn't make him show his passport to get in.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, GaT said:

But I have to admit, part of my brain is going "Nah nah nah, So Kanye, how do you feel about saying you would have voted for Trump now? Are you happy you went to Trump Tower & showed everyone what a pal Donald is?" He's lucky they didn't make him show his passport to get in.

I just feel like this is an issue that should transcend whatever anyone thinks of Kanye personally.  This was the incoming president's people essentially admitting that he wasn't invited because he is black and blacks aren't "American" enough.   I'm sorry, but that's just appalling, no matter who we're talking about.  

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I just feel like this is an issue that should transcend whatever anyone thinks of Kanye personally.  This was the incoming president's people essentially admitting that he wasn't invited because he is black and blacks aren't "American" enough.   I'm sorry, but that's just appalling, no matter who we're talking about.  

Oh, I agree, it's appalling all right, I just can't say more than that without turning this into a political discussion, which I don't want to do.

• Love 1

I'll avoid going on a political rant as well and just say it is no surprise that the subtle message that Kanye wasn't white enough should not be a surprise to anyone. 

On a lighter note, At the thought of him performing at a Trump-attended event, I got a visual of Kanye interrupting Trump with, "I'mma let you finish, but first I'mma dedicate this one to yo' current baby mama. . . "

Edited by SailorGirl
Because grammar matters.
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, GaT said:

Kris arranged that little play date with Kanye and Trump.  As a publicity stunt and an opportunity for Kanye to beg Trump for an invite to the Inaugural ball for Kimmy.

• Love 1

Only "traditional American" performers, yeah. So why did the inauguration team try to get Celine Dion (Canadian), Charlotte Church (British), Andrea Bocelli (Italian), and Rebecca Ferguson (British)?

http://www.thewrap.com/trump-inauguration-whos-performing-backed-hung-phone-updating/ Trump Inauguration: Who’s Performing, Who Backed Out, Who Hung Up the Phone - Updated

Another foreign performer scheduled is Michael Flatley (Irish) and the Irish Dancers troupe:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/irish-dancer-michael-flatley-tapped-inauguration-article-1.2950192

'Lord of the Dance' creator Michael Flatley tapped for inauguration

I think Kayne got snubbed not only because he's black, but because he does rap music, which is unpopular with the Trump crowd. Another reason would be that Kayne is known for having meltdowns and long rants at his concerts. Not the kind of thing you want at your inauguration festivities.

Besides, remember what would have happened if they HAD invited Kayne -- the whole Koven would have expected tickets and shown up at the Inaugural Ball, wearing their tits-out nudie tease dresses and hogging all the selfies and photo ops.  

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Love 7

I don't believe rap music is the issue, if he could keep the lyrics clean. Rap is totally mainstream now (and it is played by rednecks too).

But could he be relied on to:

1. Get on stage and begin and end his performance on time?

2. Sing previously agreed to songs without throwing around f bombs every 15 seconds and grab his balls?

3. Not go on a rant about Beyoncé or whatever in between songs?

4. Not decide to forego his songs and "treat" the world to some sort of political ramble?

I think there you have the real reasons he wasn't asked.

Edited by Nutella
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Nutella said:

I think there you have the real reasons he wasn't asked.

Then they shouldn't have said that he wasn't American enough.  They should have found some other reason that didn't make them look like a bunch of racist assholes. 

• Love 9

You know what I find strange? This is the only place I've seen outrage over what they said. Now granted, it's not like I know every place on the internet so I may have missed it, but I didn't hear anything about Twitter lighting up over this, I haven't seen a mention on any gossip site, I haven't seen anything on any news site, I haven't even seen anything on Reddit. Why aren't people going nuts about this? You would think that at least BLM would say something.

8 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Then they shouldn't have said that he wasn't American enough.  They should have found some other reason that didn't make them look like a bunch of racist assholes. 

Yes that's an asshole reason which angers me. But I think the above mentioned points are the real reasons he wasn't picked.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, GaT said:

You know what I find strange? This is the only place I've seen outrage over what they said. Now granted, it's not like I know every place on the internet so I may have missed it, but I didn't hear anything about Twitter lighting up over this, I haven't seen a mention on any gossip site, I haven't seen anything on any news site, I haven't even seen anything on Reddit. Why aren't people going nuts about this? You would think that at least BLM would say something.

I put "Kayne West snubbed for inauguration" into Google and got lots of results, both from mainstream news sites and small sites. Here's a mainstream site that also quotes twitter on the controversy:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-team-kanye-west-is-not-traditionally-american-enough-to-play-inauguration/

"Trump's team: Kanye West is not "traditionally American" enough to play inauguration"

Here's a Reddit thread where people are pretty outraged about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5p0732/trumps_team_kanye_west_is_not_traditionally/

• Love 3

Thanks @Coffeecup, I don't subscribe to that sub on Reddit, so I missed it. I wonder if it made it to the front page?

The two top comments:

Maybe if he smiled real wide and shined their shoes, he'd be able to do a little dance for them. Of course, they'd reward him with a big spoonful of molasses.

He can stand out on the lawn of the White House greeting guests while holding a lantern.

Ah Reddit, you never fail to disappoint.

• Love 7

Also, it's not like this happened in during a slow news week.  With everything that has gone on in the past several days, it's not easy for something like this to get too many people's attention.  

• Love 2

Drama over his fashion show already. Marchesa >>>>> Kanye. It would be foolish of the industry to chose him over Marchesa.

WWD: EXCLUSIVE: CFDA Not Cool With Kanye

West did not consult the CFDA on scheduling his Yeezy Season 5 show, resulting in conflicts.

News of the Yeezy Season 5 show came Tuesday afternoon. Kanye West will be showing his collection done in collaboration with Adidas during New York Fashion Week on Feb. 15 at 5 p.m. at Pier 59 Studios. He has chosen a time slot between Anna Sui and Thom Browne, a time slot that has already been booked by Marchesa.

There were questions about whether West would show after last season’s Roosevelt Island fiasco and reports of his ailing mental health at the end of last year. Adidas did not respond to WWD’s request for information about the show prior to and after Tuesday’s announcement of the show time and date. West did not consult the CFDA about his decision to stage his show opposite Marchesa and the CFDA is not happy about it.

Steven Kolb, president and chief executive officer of the CFDA, told WWD in an exclusive statement: “Once again, CFDA was not approached or consulted about the possibility of Kanye West showing on the official New York Fashion Week schedule. As the scheduler of the week, the CFDA works with more than 300 brands to identify appropriate times for them to show their collections and avoid scheduling conflicts. Not going through the proper channels is disruptive to the whole week and unfair to designers who have secured spots through the formal procedure.

“This bad behavior is not acceptable to the CFDA and should not be tolerated by the industry. Because of this, the CFDA will not list Kanye West on the official schedule. However, the CFDA is more than willing to work with Kanye on securing an available time slot.”

Marchesa designers Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig declined comment, but they cannot be pleased with the time slot West chose. 

13 hours ago, Artsda said:

Marchesa designers Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig declined comment, but they cannot be pleased with the time slot West chose.

No, but I bet they are loving this publicity.  I never heard of them before today, but googling Marchesa....most of this stuff looks like it should be hanging up in a museum. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

No, but I bet they are loving this publicity.  I never heard of them before today, but googling Marchesa....most of this stuff looks like it should be hanging up in a museum. 

Marchesa is a very famous name, their gowns tend towards the fluffy, but tons of celebrities wear Marchesa gowns.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

And Kanye's crap looks like it should be in the rag bin under my kitchen sink.I'll bet he picked a conflicting time just to get the press attention.

Wonder if he'll pull the same stuff as last year, showing up hours late etc. I think most people will be more interested in seeing if he acts out than seeing his collection.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

They are globally known and popular. They don't need the publicity from Kanye. lol Georgina Chapman is Harvey Weinstein's wife. LOL Like she'd need anything from Kanye.

The only reason Kanye moved his show is the fall out he got from  Steven Kolb. If anyone got publicity over this is Kanye's mess of a fashion line.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

Wonder if he'll pull the same stuff as last year, showing up hours late etc. I think most people will be more interested in seeing if he acts out than seeing his collection.

Apparently he switched his show to 3:00 that same day, so now if he pulls the late crap again (which he probably will), he'll still be overlapping Marchesa's time.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, GaT said:

Apparently he switched his show to 3:00 that same day, so now if he pulls the late crap again (which he probably will), he'll still be overlapping Marchesa's time.

Will Kim''s entire family show up to support him? Will Kim? 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, Artsda said:

They are globally known and popular. They don't need the publicity from Kanye. lol Georgina Chapman is Harvey Weinstein's wife. LOL Like she'd need anything from Kanye.

So Kanye intentionally scheduled over their spot to cause drama and suck publicity off of them.  I can't wait for his fashion show to be a disaster.  I predict all of the models will have lip rings.

• Love 3

Kayne is apparently not supporting Trump any longer. Wonder if he is sincere in changing his mind, or if he just wants to protect his Yeezy brand. Fashion Week coming up, ya know.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/06/kanye-west-donald-trump-tweets/

"Kanye West Deletes All Trump Tweets: I'm Not with Him Anymore"

2/6/2017 9:51 AM PST

Mainstream media has picked up the story too, such as:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/kanye-west-deletes-donald-trump-tweets/

"Kanye West deletes all tweets defending Trump meeting"

So far there is no confirmation from Kayne that he deleted the tweets because he changed his mind about Trump: "West's representatives did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment."

42 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Kayne is apparently not supporting Trump any longer. Wonder if he is sincere in changing his mind, or if he just wants to protect his Yeezy brand. Fashion Week coming up, ya know.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/06/kanye-west-donald-trump-tweets/

"Kanye West Deletes All Trump Tweets: I'm Not with Him Anymore"

2/6/2017 9:51 AM PST

Mainstream media has picked up the story too, such as:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/kanye-west-deletes-donald-trump-tweets/

"Kanye West deletes all tweets defending Trump meeting"

So far there is no confirmation from Kayne that he deleted the tweets because he changed his mind about Trump: "West's representatives did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment."

I can't believe neither of these articles mention the fact that the inauguration committee said Kanye wasn't “typically and traditionally American” enough. All they imply is that Kanye doesn't like what Trump has done so far. This sounds like a Kris plant to me, they're trying to pretend that Kanye wasn't a fool & is now feeling butthurt by pretending he's against Trump because of his policies. The same policies he had when Kanye went to visit him & he seemed to be OK with them then.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I can't believe neither of these articles mention the fact that the inauguration committee said Kanye wasn't “typically and traditionally American” enough. All they imply is that Kanye doesn't like what Trump has done so far. This sounds like a Kris plant to me, they're trying to pretend that Kanye wasn't a fool & is now feeling butthurt by pretending he's against Trump because of his policies. The same policies he had when Kanye went to visit him & he seemed to be OK with them then.

He craves being in the spotlight with powerful people. Maybe he thought Donald could be his bestie now that JayZ has abandoned him. I'm betting he pulled some strings within the Trump circle and got himself a meet and greet. I don't think he ever listened to or read any of Trump's policies, he just wanted to get his selfie. I sincerely doubt The Donald did anything more than smile and nod and seemingly agree with everything he said and then sent him happily on his way. His music isn't typically or traditionally American. The inaugural parties are full of pomp and tradition and whether rap has a place in music culture today, it has a LOOONNNG way to go before becoming acceptable there.. The last thing I want to see is Kanye, or any of the music stars of today rapping, cursing and  crotch grabbing across the stage as my next President is introduced. In addition, his not being invited, spares us  the sight of the whole Koven half dressed and in full glam swaying in unison front and center.

• Love 6

Reviews are coming in on Kayne's new Yeezy collection. They're lukewarm to poor. In the photos I saw, the clothes do have more color instead of the endless beige, but I didn't see anything exciting. I hated the clothes with the word "Calabasas" printed in huge letters. Who would want to wear that?

One of the worst reviews came from X17. They really burned the collection:

http://www.x17online.com/2017/02/kanye_west_yeezy_season_5_fashion_show_new_york_kim_kardashian_photos_video_021517  Kanye's Yeezy Season 5 Show At New York Fashion Week Seems Like A Bomb ...

We're not saying it's bomb, we're saying Kanye West's Yeezy Season 5 show at New York Fashion Week bombed -- as in, it sucked. West's widely panned fashion line took another hit this season when his latest creations were presented in a 13-minute catwalk/video projection at Pier 59 in New York, with little fanfare, no press coverage and even sketchy commentary from his fans' social media accounts...

... All in all, we give the collection a thumbs down. An emphatic thumbs down. If his previous seasons were urban military, this one is more faux high fashion street style that feels like some sort of social experiment by its creator to see how idiotic consumers are and if they'll buy pieces that hold little if any fashion value just because Kanye West's name is on them. The collection includes track pants with the Adidas three-stripe and the word "Calabasas" written down the side of the leg, silk bombers with "Agoura" written on the back, sweatshirts emblazoned with "Lost Hills" -- all references to his LA-area San Fernando 'hood...

... And after 13 minutes, Kanye didn't even bother to come out onto the stage for his bow. Maybe he didn't want to take credit for this mess ...

Kim Kardashian kanye-west-season-5-yeezy-021517.jpg

• Love 3

Maybe he was rolled up in the fetal position backstage. Kim was spotted wearing a "Calabasas" necklace. A Valentine's gift in honor of his collection?

I don't think Khloe or Kourtney were there. I'm not sure about Kris either. Kendall and Kylie did show.

13 minures.... vs hours in the hot sun last year..

• Love 4

Poor family turn out. Only Kim and Kylie. Wonder how mad he is.

Kourtney and Kris are in LA, Khloe's glued to  being in Cleveland. 

Kendall wasn't there she was walking the Anna Sui show in the afternoon and walked Michael Kors before Kanye's. Kendall had no time.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Poor family turn out. Only Kim and Kylie. Wonder how mad he is.

Kourtney and Kris are in LA, Khloe's glued to  being in Cleveland. 

Kendall wasn't there she was walking the Anna Sui show in the afternoon and walked Michael Kors before Kanye's. Kendall had no time.

Since Kanye didn't even bother to come out after the show, it doesn't sound like anybody was into the show.

• Love 3

I wonder if he didn't come out because he may have been upset about the turnout. At least there haven't been any reports about meltdowns.  

Kim sat next to Anna Wyntour. I'm amazed at how she has stood by him despite all his mental issues and ugly clothing designs.

54 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

I wonder if he didn't come out because he may have been upset about the turnout. At least there haven't been any reports about meltdowns.  

Kim sat next to Anna Wyntour. I'm amazed at how she has stood by him despite all his mental issues and ugly clothing designs.

That's funny that it doesn't even occur to any of us that she may actually love him.