Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

So, let me get this straight: You have somebody who is undercooled and you want to get him warm? You are also on a tropical island and the sun is scroching down at you. Also he's black. So you don't take off his shirt and put him in the sun, you put him into the shade and then you burn stuff to make him warm instead? All of that really made no sense.

Also "Lobster for breakfast, how very grand!"? Lobster was considered a trash food, only fit for the lowest of classes at the time.

I do like the budding romance here, although I think Passepartout and Fogg would make the cuter couple.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 1/3/2022 at 9:10 PM, Zonk said:

Also "Lobster for breakfast, how very grand!"? Lobster was considered a trash food, only fit for the lowest of classes at the time.

Could be considered grand for the situation they were in, at least compared to that icky fruit. But I see what you're saying.

The hypothermia bit was a lil questionable tho. We had some of the same thoughts.

Bellamy feeling a lil guilty? Good. Tho I suppose it could be bc he probably wouldn't get any money if Fogg died.

Poor Abigail's dad. I worry about him.

Nice episode.

Also pretty sure they referenced a meme in the beginning of the episode...

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Bellamy can’t get his inevitable comeuppance soon enough. I also felt horrid for Abigail’s father and hope they send word ASAP to him that he didn’t just lose his daughter and old friend in one go.

The main trio has great chemistry together and this episode of almost entirely just the three of them together was great to watch.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
Spelling
  • Love 8

I'm surprised the three of them couldn't overpower one guy with a gun. It's a little extreme to just shove off the three of them in a lifeboat. Bellamy doesn't want to kill them, but if this gets back to him; that's a whole legal matter. He's also putting Fortescue's daughter in danger. He's going to blow his stack. I suppose that Bellamy had the decency to be ashamed when they thought Fogg and Fix died. 

I am kind of glad we got the 'old tymey' affliction of 'melancholy'; I know it's really depression, but I mentioned before about how ladies used to suffer from 'exposure' and 'consumption'.

Also glad that Passepartout finally copped to Bellamy's scheme. I don't blame Fogg for blowing up, but drawing a literal line in the sand is a bit much. Passepartout correctly pointed out that Bellamy and Fogg made a flippant wager that was more money than most people make in a lifetime, but he could have pushed the class issue more. Fix pushed Fogg a little more on it at least. 

I was surprised Fogg considers Bellamy such a friend. Bellamy belittled him at the club constantly. 

I figured Stella died, but Fogg just leaving her was unexpected. I wonder if she read the article?

This is going to be great though. Everyone thinks they're dead. I hope Fix can get an article in when they get to America. 

1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Tho I suppose it could be bc he probably wouldn't get any money if Fogg died.

I didn't think of that. The whole club saw the wager being made. I don't think anyone would accuse Bellamy of lying about it. Would it be a legal contract? He could still probably get it. I don't think he was expecting to hear that they 'died' though. 

Fogg said the rescue ship was going to take them to America, bypassing Yokohama altogether. They're going to have to book it with about 30 days left across the country.

3 hours ago, Megras said:

I thought consumption was  just an old name for tuberculosis (TB) and not a 'hysterical' affliction. That said I can't fault the rest of what is being said.

I only know of the olde tyme afflictions from watching Dickens. 

Yes, the whole 'keeping Passepartout warm' thing was absurd. However, I was impressed that in the lobster scene, those were actually the correct spiny lobsters that inhabit the South Pacific (rather than the large N. American kind with big claws).

• Love 2

I rewatched the 1st episode now that we know the story of Estella. The postcards must have been sent from her during her world tour, to let Phileas know she was having a good time without him. But the latest postcard with "Coward" on it had no postmark, so I wonder if that was from Bellamy instead, since Estella's not around. I'm not sure why he'd do that, just that he enjoys belittling Fogg. I think that's another reason why they made Passepartout start out as a waiter in the Reform Club, so that he would witness how Bellamy treats Fogg even though they're supposedly friends. And if he's the one that destroyed Fogg's confidence so much that he abandoned Estella at Victoria Station, maybe Bellamy had some ulterior motive there too. But with all this buildup, I think the show must have Estella show up at some point during the trip. Surely, wherever she is now, she must have seen the news accounts of the bet.

• Love 3

Another good episode and just have to say that David Tennant is such a good actor - I don't think I've ever seen him in anything where you don' t think of him as not being who he is playing.  

I would have really liked to have seen how the bad guy (don't remember his name) got the three of them on the life boat.   And count me as somebody else who thinks that we'll be seeing Estrella on this trip.    There is probably going to be a twist concerning her somewhere.  And I also hope that Fix's father lives to see her return as it seems as if they are building up for something bad to happen to him.  

• Love 2

Well, at this point, now that we know she's alive, we have to see an appearance from Estella. 

Fogg got the 'coward' postcard right before the bet. That's quite a while from when he ditched her. It seems a bit much that she's been harboring a grudge that long that she'd send the postcard. 

The only other suspect is Bellamy. It could be perhaps that was the anniversary of when Fogg ditched her. The problem is there's no other background or motivation than Bellamy being a jerk. We know he's in some financial trouble, so we know why he's trying to foil the journey. There's nothing else for Estella. It could be Bellamy was resentful because he and Fogg were rivals, but we don't have that information. 

I think the flask is from her though. Maybe as a gift for the start of the journey. 

David T is a great actor. And really portrays Fogg as a human being. Not the cold as a fish in the previous books and incarnations. Hope that he can be reunited with Estella there and find out about how and why he left his one true love.

But that Passepartout glad that he found out how evil that Bellamy is and also that he feels remorse. Sure Fogg was upset and don't blame him and really Fogg could had blamed him and Fix over on it there.

Bet that Fix and her father are going to have some not so nice words there.

• Love 2

I’m amazed not a single person has mentioned the interaction between Passepartout and Abigail. As a viewer of All Creatures G&S, I can assure you that the millisecond finger contact on the walk to the boat had more sexual heat than all the books and adaptations of the former put together.

Edited by crankcase
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Speaking of inconsistencies, I’ve read that while durian (the huge spiky island fruit) truly does smell like actual hot garbage, the taste is kind of okay- kind of like almonds.

It may have thrown a wrench in their travel plans, but I think it was good that these characters had to be stranded together.  I feel like now everyone’s cards are more or less on the table- the secrets and pretenses are gone, and now they can see one another for who they really are, and what they’re really doing on the quest.  Now they can move forward as a team for these last two episodes of the season.

Otherwise, I wasn’t surprised to hear Fogg defend Bellamy at first.  He honestly doesn’t seem like someone who has ever known what real friendship is like.  He has had schoolmates and contemporaries- men who he has associated with because they share same social standing.  But those are also relationships built on protocol and appearance, not genuine connection.  I feel like Fogg has spent so much of his life trying to be his idea of what an “English Gentleman” is supposed to be- but unfortunately that image has blinded him to the fact that Bellamy is a bully and a cheat.  It’s good to see him wise up to who his friends really are.

• Love 6

You know, this episode was predictable, melodramatic, and cliché...

...and I loved it!

I enjoy stories based on friendship, and so the honesty and revelations really worked for me, seeing as the raw materials for the relationships were there from the beginning. It only took some soul-searching, humility -- and being stranded on a desert island -- to start to pull it together.

Oh, and by the way, I'll always remember my dad ordering a cone with durian ice cream when we visited the 588-flavour shop in my home town. The ice cream smelled like gasoline, and I'm not sure that my dad thought it was all that great of a choice after all!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

A nice bottle episode, probably my favorite so far. I was afraid at first that they would meet some not so friendly inhabitants, but a deserted island worked better here. Glad that there was drinking water, it even looked like a nice place to stay if you have someone to come for you after.

I am not a fan of characters keeping stuff from one another, so I'm glad that all is out now and they have talked it through. Fogg's reactions were a bit over the top, but I would probably react in a similar manner.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:02 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Also glad that Passepartout finally copped to Bellamy's scheme. I don't blame Fogg for blowing up, but drawing a literal line in the sand is a bit much. Passepartout correctly pointed out that Bellamy and Fogg made a flippant wager that was more money than most people make in a lifetime, but he could have pushed the class issue more. Fix pushed Fogg a little more on it at least. 

The line in a sand made me laugh, but it was in character and worked for that scene. I don't think Passepartout was in a place to lecture Fogg, he just confessed to almost getting him killed and accidentally getting him arrested as well. Plus, people were more used to a wealth gap between classes back then, it wouldn't even occur to Fogg. These commentaries are more for the benefit of us viewers.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:28 PM, Megras said:

I thought consumption was  just an old name for tuberculosis (TB) and not a 'hysterical' affliction. 

Yes, it was.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:01 AM, Chyromaniac said:

Otherwise, I wasn’t surprised to hear Fogg defend Bellamy at first.  He honestly doesn’t seem like someone who has ever known what real friendship is like.  He has had schoolmates and contemporaries- men who he has associated with because they share same social standing.  But those are also relationships built on protocol and appearance, not genuine connection.  I feel like Fogg has spent so much of his life trying to be his idea of what an “English Gentleman” is supposed to be- but unfortunately that image has blinded him to the fact that Bellamy is a bully and a cheat.  It’s good to see him wise up to who his friends really are.

I feel the same way. Fogg associated with people he was supposed to associate with. Before the trip, he would never think about being friends with his servant and with an unmarried, much younger woman, both would be out of question for different reasons.

As for Bellamy, he talked at the memorial how they met, that he and Fortesque helped Fogg on their first day at school. That is often when people make friends and I'm sure that Fogg saw it as something he should be grateful to Bellamy for.

I like how the series shows Fogg's progress, he's going to come back home like a new, different person.

• Love 2
On 2/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised the three of them couldn't overpower one guy with a gun.

God, that's a really good point. I'd been thinking it was a good choice not to show us that bit of the story, but now I'm guessing there wasn't a way to do it that wasn't ridiculous. All three of our heroes are pretty strong and adept.

Nonetheless, adoring this show! 

I think it's more that Kneedling had a gun to them and also he could give a hint/look to Passepartout that he could tell Fogg about the bribe and the poison, if Passepartout dared tried to resist. Something, "don't lose your life over a rich men's bet." Passepartout could acquiesce or explain it away to the others by saying he was sick of guns, after his brother's death, and having to kill a man in the desert.

Oh, I also forgot to comment about how much shirtless Passepartout we got in this episode. Nice. Abigail even got to cuddle with him, although he was unwell at the time.

Edited by Cress
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2022 at 6:02 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised the three of them couldn't overpower one guy with a gun.

I think just the opposite. Would you really dare d to take the risk that the crook who pointed at somebody with his gun would have killed his hostage?