Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E98: Kicking Off Boston

• Start Topic

Kevin Frazier and a panel of Married at First Sight aficionados discuss the five new couples from Boston, predict their journeys, and reveal sneak peeks for the upcoming season. Also, former MAFS favorites return to share some surprising secrets.

Airs Thursday Dec 30 at 8:00PM EST

It's endearing how much Kevin Frazier likes Gil.

The 1st panelist, Nicole, is so obnoxious. 

I liked the new panelist, Rizzo.

Who can keep up with Shawniece and Jephte!

Beth needed to change her hairstyle. It really aged her.

I didnt realize Michael was a small man. (Nicole was so rude about it.) He needs to man-up a little. The way he sits, shoulders slumped, is so unattractive because it gives off an air of insecurity.

Lindsey and Mark talking about sex was hilarious. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 1

So far my favorite is Jasmina. She is so gorgeous! And she, as an ESE teacher can’t be a bad person. I’m not worried about the unemployed guy, because if he had money to travel and spend a couple of months on this show, he is going to be ok. He is an engineer and always find well paid job.

I have no idea how the rest of this bunch will do.

Edited by Maximadc
  • Love 1

I am stunned how much I enjoyed this episode—as I almost didn’t bother watching it. What other series does an episode at the beginning of the season predicting how big a failure it’s season will be and also rewarding the panelist who guessed most closely how big a failure it’s previous season was? 

But watching smitten Bao sitting there in a couple with Zach, talking about still wanting to get married while Zach lies to her and the audience was just painful. Poor Bao! 

Kevin is obsessed with Gil! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Cramps said:

I am stunned how much I enjoyed this episode—as I almost didn’t bother watching it. What other series does an episode at the beginning of the season predicting how big a failure it’s season will be and also rewarding the panelist who guessed most closely how big a failure it’s previous season was? 

But watching smitten Bao sitting there in a couple with Zach, talking about still wanting to get married while Zach lies to her and the audience was just painful. Poor Bao! 

Kevin is obsessed with Gil! 

Did Zach lie to her? Did they break up?

I haven't watched the last half hour or so of this but so far I'm with Kevin all the way on the potential success of the couples.  Yet another set of dismal matches.  It was nice to see Clara and hear her side of things.  She kept it classy during her season and I get the feeling she is still not telling everyone the full story and essentially covering for him.  Something was not right with Ryan and the way he acted about his family was weird and showed immaturity.

Gil is another one.  I know people loved him but I still get the feeling he said "yes" on decision day because he wanted to add to his income.  I don't necessarily believe he was that into Myrla to cry like that.  

I am just so over people making a big deal about how two people are a great match because they both love family and are go-getters (or Dr. Viviana put it in the kick-off episode "goal getters", which is technically not the phrase).  Pretty much everyone is (supposedly) into those things on this show and yet their marriages have failed spectacularly anyway.  Those things are a given, a baseline, but they are not anywhere NEAR being the ONLY things necessary to make a good match.  So if those are the only reasons you can pull out of your ass to justify a couple as a good match, you're really reaching to do it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

More details for those that missed all or part of it:

Each segment had the journalists, Kevin, and a different couple from previous seasons commenting on whether they thought the couple would be successful. The general consensus was that most of the couples were questionable to bad matches. Kevin was very negative about almost all of them. (Frankly, most of the panelists would have fit in well here!). 

The “couples” they had on from previous seasons were more optimistic and seem to project their own experiences onto the new couples. One “couple” was Gil and Michaela who are not a couple, but I guess still friends. I am guessing they were there because Kevin wanted his man crush on the show. (This is not me being catty, Kevin was obsessively clear that Gil is one of his favorites ever on the show). 

The last segment was done with Bao and Zach. They said how their relationship and their feelings have gotten stronger for each other since the reunion specials. Bao spoke about how she still wanted to get married. They seemed very smitten with each other. Sadly, all the stuff about Zach and the multiple other women he was cheating on her with must have come out fairly soon after this was recorded. 

In retrospect, Michaela’s crazy incidents were probably much worse because Zach was gaslighting her. 

One final note-Mark the Shark’s high energy bride —from the one couple that almost all the panel thought were perfect for each other —is shown in a preview at the end being EXTREMELY DRUNK right before their wedding. Problematically so…

• Love 5

WHY do they ask what advice previous participants have for the new cast like DD hasn't happened already??? They can drop that or make it for "future participants" instead of people it's too late for.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think the majority of participants just don't grasp that their match isn't everything they want & isn't there to be what they want or expect them to be. MAFS isn't for selfish, closed-minded types. No relationship is for those types, but especially MAFS & when they realize their spouse isn't what they expect & won't change, it crashes & burns. I think all the guys might be those types. Steve might just want the title of marriage, but not do marriage since he's road-tripping. 😅😂

• Love 1

Michaela said she saw "sad" Michaela, walking on eggshells. Uhhh. While she was flipping a bench?!!! GTFOH!!! STILL NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WHAT SHE CAUSED!!!! STILL PLAYING VICTIM!!! STILL JUST ABOUT HERSELF!!! Was he happy? Was he walking on eggshells because his wife moved out after their first miscommunication? COME ON!! Her craziness about completely overshadowed his messed up behavior. The right answer is saying she's embarrassed by her behavior & regrets it because it destroyed her marriage & she shouldn't behave like that ever again. Girl, bye! I don't ever want to see her again or have to struggle with autocorrect after this. I wish they would've had her run into Zack & Bao though. Why didn't Kevin ask her about them? 🤔

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Cramps said:

Probably due to the covid production protocols of Kevin’s main show.

Anyone is more likely to get infected going to a grocery store than in a room with people who have tested negative.

Entertainment Tonight can't control what Kevin does in his personal life so he could have gotten infected after that he left the remote interview and before he went back to ET. 

There is some other reason he is always remote.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Rightside said:

Anyone is more likely to get infected going to a grocery store than in a room with people who have tested negative.

Entertainment Tonight can't control what Kevin does in his personal life so he could have gotten infected after that he left the remote interview and before he went back to ET. 

There is some other reason he is always remote.

Could just be he doesn't want to fly with all the craziness going on lately or he's an anti vaxxer and anti masker who won't fly because his (in his opinion) freedom is being curtailed.  Personally I would go with the first option if he's still working in a studio.

• Love 1
On 12/31/2021 at 9:52 AM, Yeah No said:

It was nice to see Clara and hear her side of things.  She kept it classy during her season and I get the feeling she is still not telling everyone the full story and essentially covering for him.  

Her interview made me want to hear Ryan’s  side actually.   I can see why he was mad about her talking about their sex life on camera, especially after she said she does not regret doing so.    Even if she didn’t agree with the decision on rationale, at the end of the day, she did make an agreement with her husband not to talk about their sex life.      And it sounds like he didn’t know what Clara said until it aired.    Which just made them both look silly.  

Jepthe has no poker face.   He knows Olajuwon, and based Jepthes responses I don’t hold out much hope for success for that match.   

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Her interview made me want to hear Ryan’s  side actually.   I can see why he was mad about her talking about their sex life on camera, especially after she said she does not regret doing so.    Even if she didn’t agree with the decision on rationale, at the end of the day, she did make an agreement with her husband not to talk about their sex life.      And it sounds like he didn’t know what Clara said until it aired.    Which just made them both look silly.  

Jepthe has no poker face.   He knows Olajuwon, and based Jepthes responses I don’t hold out much hope for success for that match.   

Yeah, if her talking about it bothered Ryan, she should regret talking about it if she cared for him at all.

9 hours ago, Lindz said:

Michaela said she saw "sad" Michaela, walking on eggshells. Uhhh. While she was flipping a bench?!!!

She suggested that she flips out (flips benches and does whatever else Hurricane Kay does) after holding back (walking on egg shells). Her answer blamed her former partner for her actions and implies that she's volatile because she doesn't communicate effectively and hasn't figured a better way to process her feelings and regulate her emotions.

3 hours...I may have dozed off. Did one of the chubby husbands say he wants a skinny-fit wife? Katina's a reformed party girl? Uh-oh, though Olajuwon probably approves. Maybe they will unreform together? Was Alyssa expecting a husband who'd pay for her shopping habit? I'm liking her horse more than her now. Pretty sure she said (in previews?) she's not attracted to her guy, so probably a no-go on that marriage. Unless the editors are tricking us. Or she pulls a Jamie Otis. Or I fell asleep and dreamed all of that. The experts going 5 for 5 is definitely happening, right?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Wow, two guys with dad bod type energy. I'm sure they spend the entire season being deemed as too unattractive for their spouses. Hopefully, the actual brides won't feel that way though. I wish this show wasn't so concerned with obtaining getting people that look tv ready and just found open people genuinely ready for this. But, then I remember that everyone's looks get judged to death that appears on the show so, maybe the show is doing people a favor in that regard.

I still maintain that people with too many or are too into their pets need to be kept off. It's just a whole other bunch of uneeded drama. It's not that pet lovers don't deserve love. I just think that, much like with actual children, bringing someone else in should be gradual process. There should also be genuine room for the new party.

The wide eyed drunk wife and the second time around guy should have both been left off. Thet both just have too much going on.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, kikicat said:

Did one of the chubby husbands say he wants a skinny-fit wife?

Yup. Chris. Mr. Man Boobs Beer Gut said that! Totally reasonable!! 😂😂 & he got matched with Alyssa who will probably think he's ugly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, After7Only said:

I've said this in another thread, but I don't believe she was fully aware that her comments which were recorded on surveillance cameras could possibly be used on the show.  I don't believe that the show adequately warns them of just exactly the extent they would go to to get them on camera.  Even if they warn them that anything they say on camera could be used by the show it doesn't mean they are aware that the show would use footage filmed by cameras that look like security systems in their apartments.  I personally think she thought that conversation was off the record.  Just my opinion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I've said this in another thread, but I don't believe she was fully aware that her comments which were recorded on surveillance cameras could possibly be used on the show.  I don't believe that the show adequately warns them of just exactly the extent they would go to to get them on camera.  Even if they warn them that anything they say on camera could be used by the show it doesn't mean they are aware that the show would use footage filmed by cameras that look like security systems in their apartments.  I personally think she thought that conversation was off the record.  Just my opinion.

I think you are probably right regarding the cameras looking like a security system and not being "in your face" cameras filming. However, since reality tv is not a new concept, anyone on this show ( or other reality shows no matter how scripted lol) should know better at this point.:)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

I think you are probably right regarding the cameras looking like a security system and not being "in your face" cameras filming. However, since reality tv is not a new concept, anyone on this show ( or other reality shows no matter how scripted lol) should know better at this point.:)

I don't disagree that they should know and are aware that they are being filmed all of the time, but I also think it's hard to stay in that mindset all of the time.  It's your home for 5-6 weeks so it would be hard to not forget and just go about your life when there isn't a camera crew in your face filming.  I could totally see how once the crew is gone that you let your guard down and forget that your still being filmed.  I feel like this is what might have happened to Clara.  The crew wasn't around, and she was hanging out with her friends and got carried away with the topic.  I saw it as an honest mistake and not her intentionally trying to hurt Ryan.  Should she have known better? Sure, but I can see how easily that mistake could happen.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

One would think they should know better, but social media is not a new concept either and people are still posting things to it that get them in trouble.  This is something that boggles my mind but is undeniably proven true time and time again.  Maybe some of them get drunk and their judgment gets impaired?

8 hours ago, Peper81 said:

I don't disagree that they should know and are aware that they are being filmed all of the time, but I also think it's hard to stay in that mindset all of the time.  It's your home for 5-6 weeks so it would be hard to not forget and just go about your life when there isn't a camera crew in your face filming.  I could totally see how once the crew is gone that you let your guard down and forget that your still being filmed.  I feel like this is what might have happened to Clara.  The crew wasn't around, and she was hanging out with her friends and got carried away with the topic.  I saw it as an honest mistake and not her intentionally trying to hurt Ryan.  Should she have known better? Sure, but I can see how easily that mistake could happen.  

Absolutely.  I am certain that it was an honest mistake.  If Clara was the type to want to break a confidence she'd have done it in a far more intentional and public way.  And she's not a devious or dishonest person as far as we know, so it just doesn't add up for me that this was anything but a mistake.

• Love 4

Clara said her adaptability & ability to compromise isn't a weakness? Huh wha? Being a doormat is a weakness & unattractive to real men. Her problem is she stifled her true self to make him "happy." They just seemed polite on camera, not truly connected.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, Peper81 said:

It's your home for 5-6 weeks so it would be hard to not forget and just go about your life when there isn't a camera crew in your face filming.  I

That is assuming that they do actually live there when not filming, that I am more convinced than ever, is not the case. We have seen over the seasons where someone leaves to go back to their homes or in some cases, never even pretends to move in.

Clara said her adaptability & ability to compromise isn't a weakness? Huh wha? Being a doormat is a weakness & unattractive to real men. Her problem is she stifled her true self to make him "happy." They just seemed polite on camera, not truly connected.

There is a lot of room between being adaptable and willing to compromise and being a doormat. Clara didn't seem particularly doormat-ish to me. Honestly, she wasn't one of my favorite cast members but I did think that her ability to make lemonade out of lemons was admirable.

No idea what you mean about a "real man" and what they find attractive. People are all different and are attracted to all different sorts of personalities.

• Love 2

Alyssa says her husband is to pay for her horse riding, shopping for sweatshirts, additions to her trucker hat collection in a glassed cabinet.

Thinking Chris has to be a "Bobby" and put his foot down on her idea of sharing finances in a marriage.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:29 AM, Yeah No said:

Her interview made me want to hear Ryan’s  side actually.

His side is on his Instagram in a very very long comment from a few weeks ago.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shok said:
On 1/3/2022 at 8:29 AM, Yeah No said:

Her interview made me want to hear Ryan’s  side actually.

His side is on his Instagram in a very very long comment from a few weeks ago.

This was not my quote.  It belongs to @After7Only.

• Love 1

When Gil said he's going to piggyback Kev, Kev was getting a bit too prison gf excited.

Kev was frothing and tripping over his over salivating happiness of Gil being on the same page as him...

Get a room fellas....

I like the way Michaela dresses and changes up her looks.

She is a dramatic person and she has the body and chutzpah to carry the titties out look.

• LOL 1
On 12/31/2021 at 9:42 AM, Blissfool said:

Beth needed to change her hairstyle. It really aged her.

Her hairstyle combined with what she was wearing, made her look downright matronly.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, humbleopinion said:

I like the way Michaela dresses and changes up her looks.

She is a dramatic person and she has the body and chutzpah to carry the titties out look.

Have to disagree.  The extent to which 'the girls' were out was just too much.  I was also very confused by the choker around her neck, which literally looked like it was choking her.  It looked like what happens when someone ties something around a tree, and the tree keeps growing, so the tree sort of bulges around it.

• Love 2