Type keyword(s) to search

Hive Mind: Speculation

Pallas
  • Start Topic

And then there’s the official Showtime description of the show. 

“Yellowjackets" tells the narrative of a team of wildly talented high-school girls soccer players who survive a plane crash deep in the Ontario wilderness. The series chronicles their descent from a complicated but thriving team to warring, CANNIBALISTIC clans, while also tracking the lives they have attempted to piece back together. Sophie Nélisse, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Sophie Thatcher and Sammi Hanratty star as the teenagers, while Melanie Lynskey, Tawny Cypress, Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis portray their adult counterparts as they reveal the truth about their survival 25 years later.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

he series chronicles their descent from a complicated but thriving team to warring, CANNIBALISTIC clans,

Interesting. I'd not read the actual description and thought the idea of them splintering into two groups was just a theory.

Did season one only focus on one group of survivors?  Or, are they the only "winners" who stayed alive until they were rescued? Could Shauna, Tai, Nat, Misty have been on opposite sides at one point?

Edited by snarts
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, snarts said:

Interesting. I'd not read the actual description and thought the idea of them splintering into two groups was just a theory.

Did season one only focus on one group of survivors?  Or, are they the only "winners" who stayed alive until they were rescued? Could Shauna, Tai, Nat, Misty have been on opposite sides at one point?

They may well have been on opposite sides. We don’t know yet. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, snarts said:

On 1/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Wow, I also never read that description and didn't realize the opposite clans thing was not just a theory.

Me too - thought it was just a theory.

My mom and I went to a Color Me Beautiful class together. I'm a summer!

Misty's obviously a winter. She's Christina Ricci. Wednesday Adams is nothing but a winter.

• Love 4

As others have said, I'm also lowering my expectations after reading the showrunners article. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I was building the show up to be something it's not and better to be surprised then constantly disappointed. Plus I'm really watching the show for the actors and their relationships.

So they confirmed Adam was just Adam. Nothing nefarious. Not in a cult. Randomly hangs out at hotel bars and doesn'teven have an Instagram he rarely posts on. Just a dude who's now dead. Alright then. 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

So they confirmed Adam was just Adam. Nothing nefarious. Not in a cult. Randomly hangs out at hotel bars and doesn'teven have an Instagram he rarely posts on. Just a dude who's now dead. Alright then. 

The Adam of it all really does annoy me lol. I get that he was more in service of Shauna as a character but they lobbed way too many red herring type things in his direction. They went way too far with it. I mean, they gave him a back tattoo of a forest. Like come on now, that was beyond.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

The Adam of it all really does annoy me lol. I get that he was more in service of Shauna as a character but they lobbed way too many red herring type things in his direction. They went way too far with it. I mean, they gave him a back tattoo of a forest. Like come on now, that was beyond.

Yeah, it's one thing to surprise your audience but I find it cheap when a writer creates a highly improbable situation just so they can yell, gotcha!

So if Lottie is alive in 2021, she is not the pit girl either. At this point I am wondering if Pit Girl is even a Yellowjacket. Maybe another character is introduced in season 2.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Hey, maybe since they've yet to write season 2 they can add a backstory for Adam where he was part of the cult and stalking Shauna in order to make that storyline more plausible.

Otherwise, he was just a throwaway character they spent too much time on with the end result being showing Shauna's paranoid & capable of murder. Kinda already knew that.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, snarts said:

Hey, maybe since they've yet to write season 2 they can add a backstory for Adam where he was part of the cult and stalking Shauna in order to make that storyline more plausible.

They already said he wasn't in the cult so they'd look even worse if they add that in now.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I haven't fully read this article with the showrunner yet but apparently he gives away a lot. Also, he said it's Shauna's dream so at this point it seems like maybe the writers, actors, showrunners, editors, etc. might not be on the same page, which is kind of alarming lol.

I had assumed it was Jackie's dream because of the whole, everyone standing in line saying in unison, We Love You Jackie (which wasn't creepy at all or anything), seemed like her swan song goodbye, however, given the sinister turn of the dream I suppose it wasn't really supposed to be a feel good moment after all.

I've read a lot of articles over the last few days, with different spoilers and confirmations, so I may be getting them mixed up. What I take from all of them though is that although they had a 5 year plan, it's somewhat fluid. For example, I thought I read somewhere that although Adam was not written to have any specific tie to either the Yellowjackets or the 2021 cult, season two could include his backstory which may tie in in some way.

I liked season 1 overall, but I don't know if I'll watch season 2. I am definitely getting Lost vibes from the writers' interviews.

ETA: I was disappointed to read one of the interviews dispelling a popular Reddit theory on the identity of Pit Girl. The writers did acknowledge that would have been a clever twist, but alas, is not the story.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

ETA: I was disappointed to read one of the interviews dispelling a popular Reddit theory on the identity of Pit Girl. The writers did acknowledge that would have been a clever twist, but alas, is not the story.

Which theory did the dispel? That it's Callie?

Yes. One of the writers said that was his favorite theory (of the incorrect theories), but it was not true.

ETA: they answer about a third of the way through the interview, when discussing favorite theories.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, snarts said:

Reading interviews with the show creators isn't helping. They definitely seem like they're just making a lot of it up as they go along.  Some spoilers here from them, including pit girl identity.  

Edited by Tatum
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Tatum said:

I had assumed it was Jackie's dream because of the whole, everyone standing in line saying in unison, We Love You Jackie (which wasn't creepy at all or anything), seemed like her swan song goodbye, however, given the sinister turn of the dream I suppose it wasn't really supposed to be a feel good moment after all.

I've read a lot of articles over the last few days, with different spoilers and confirmations, so I may be getting them mixed up. What I take from all of them though is that although they had a 5 year plan, it's somewhat fluid. For example, I thought I read somewhere that although Adam was not written to have any specific tie to either the Yellowjackets or the 2021 cult, season two could include his backstory which may tie in in some way.

I liked season 1 overall, but I don't know if I'll watch season 2. I am definitely getting Lost vibes from the writers' interviews.

I’ve read a ton of interviews/articles too, and some have said it’s Jackie’s dream and others Shauna’s dream. I interpreted it as both of their dreams. It works for me either way.

How on earth could pit girl have possibly been Callie??? Some of the theories are just asinine.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

How on earth could pit girl have possibly been Callie??? Some of the theories are just asinine.

The working theory was the Pit Girl scene was not a flashback- it was either a nightmare of adult Shauna's or something that happened as 2021 progressed.

• LOL 2
52 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I’ve read a ton of interviews/articles too, and some have said it’s Jackie’s dream and others Shauna’s dream. I interpreted it as both of their dreams. It works for me either way.

Calling it now: Obviously Pit Girl is Adam.

• LOL 4
8 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Calling it now: Obviously Pit Girl is Adam.

Adam who has had a sex change and now looks like Jackie. 😆 And teaches trigonometry!  And time travels!

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 1

These theories really aren't that crazy imo. It's just that this particular show has decided to go much more mundane with things than I think it seemed like they would initially. Everything is actually pretty straightforward, for better or worse. Also, the writers just freely tell the truth about everything (even when they probably shouldn't lol). Well, except how for some reason they won't admit the Jackie diary thing was just kind of a prop fail.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

These theories really aren't that crazy imo. It's just that this particular show has decided to go much more mundane with things than I think it seemed like they would initially. Everything is actually pretty straightforward, for better or worse. Also, the writers just freely tell the truth about everything (even when they probably shouldn't lol). Well, except how for some reason they won't admit the Jackie diary thing was just kind of a prop fail.

I agree. I thought the flashforward disguised as a flashback was actually pretty clever (hey, at least the Yellowjacket writer agrees with me!). And the theory was most prevalent after the pilot aired when less was known about the overall direction of the show. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The only time theories get crazy to me is when people refuse to acknowledge anything in the canon that disproves them - even if the creator comes out and says this is what it is. Just because that makes it clear that the person isn't really interested in the show, just their theories. And then I wish they'd just go write their fanfic instead of pretending they're analyzing the show. I admit, I'm not really into speculation much myself anyway--I'd rather let them tell me what's going on and think about what that means then try to guess what will happen.

Like with Adam = Javi theory, it never worked for me mostly because I couldn't accept the whole premise being that she somehow wouldn't recognize this guy at all just because he was a few years younger than most of the crash survivors. But it wasn't crazy as an idea. And there certainly is a story that might end with the one current teenager being hunted in the woods, but I'm glad it's not this one!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I expect the theories will wind down in the second season. TV shows and movies and books keep upping the ante on crazy plot twists that the viewer has often come to expect it. It is actually pretty novel at this point when a show is expected to be taken at face value. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Some of the theories aren’t that crazy, but some are. I think they wanted to stop some of the nonsensical blather by being clear with viewers.

2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

The only time theories get crazy to me is when people refuse to acknowledge anything in the canon that disproves them - even if the creator comes out and says this is what it is. Just because that makes it clear that the person isn't really interested in the show, just their theories. And then I wish they'd just go write their fanfic instead of pretending they're analyzing the show. I admit, I'm not really into speculation much myself anyway--I'd rather let them tell me what's going on and think about what that means then try to guess what will happen.

Like with Adam = Javi theory, it never worked for me mostly because I couldn't accept the whole premise being that she somehow wouldn't recognize this guy at all just because he was a few years younger than most of the crash survivors. But it wasn't crazy as an idea. And there certainly is a story that might end with the one current teenager being hunted in the woods, but I'm glad it's not this one!

Yes! Fanfic is what a lot of it is, and I couldn’t take any more.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cranberry said:

"Nonsensical blather" = engagement, and engagement is everything nowadays. Trust me, they want it.

Have you read their interviews?

This wasn’t from an interview with the show runners, but it speaks to this topic: 

What’s more, we live in a reality where too many people try to turn the world into an elaborate conspiracy-driven hellhole, where everybody is trying to keep the truth from you and the villains are hidden in shadow. And that mentality cuts against something we know to be true, which is mostly that the villains are right out there in the open. Conspiracy theories in the real world have too often become a coping mechanism for those who feel powerless in the face of problems that seem insurmountable. If the truth is hidden in shadow, that’s an easier reality to approach than one where you know the truth but can’t do anything about it.

https://www.vox.com/culture/22882797/yellowjackets-finale-succession-mystery-box

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 3

The ones where they said stuff like, "People have incredibly creative theories about what’s going on in the show, and some people have been right, and some people are very off base, but in very creative and impressively entertaining ways"? Yeah.

Even for that crazy "Jackie is a time traveler" theory, they said, "For people to be responding to this world as one in which that could be possible, I think it’s exactly where we want to be."

Or: "There's been a lot of conjecture about the symbol. People are digging up all chemical symbol tables, they're digging up Hobo Code, they're digging up trigonometry. Just the fact that they are all engaging on that level of detail is really thrilling for us. Then, of course, there are some really wild theories. There was a theory at one point that Adam was actually Shauna's child [laughs]. I was like, 'Wow, you guys went straight to incest.' So, our dark hearts are, again, very charmed by that—although he was not her son [laughs]. We did not go there. Bart, you liked that Callie theory."

"One of my favorite ones was the idea that the girl that we see running in the teaser of the pilot was actually [Shauna's daughter] Callie—that what we were seeing was not a flashback, but a flash forward to Callie being kidnapped and brought back into the wilderness [laughs]. I mean, I know it's not Callie. I just thought that was such a fun, clever, creative idea. Although, it also steps on some stuff that we saw immediately later in the pilot because we then obviously unveil Misty. So, we can't do that, but the fact that somebody was thinking that in almost the fifth dimension and having what would actually be a fourth timeline in the pilot, I was just like, 'Oh, that's just really fun.'"

It's fan engagement. It's like gold, especially now that there's so much TV to choose from. The showrunners sound entertained by it, to me.

• Love 5

Clearly they're in a middle ground here: They understand that it's great for the show that fans are so invested in theorizing, but they also don't mind saying some theories definitely aren't going to happen while others remain possible.

And the show is ultimately a mystery show, so they certainly can't give away everything.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

The ones where they said stuff like, "People have incredibly creative theories about what’s going on in the show, and some people have been right, and some people are very off base, but in very creative and impressively entertaining ways"? Yeah.

Even for that crazy "Jackie is a time traveler" theory, they said, "For people to be responding to this world as one in which that could be possible, I think it’s exactly where we want to be."

Or: "There's been a lot of conjecture about the symbol. People are digging up all chemical symbol tables, they're digging up Hobo Code, they're digging up trigonometry. Just the fact that they are all engaging on that level of detail is really thrilling for us. Then, of course, there are some really wild theories. There was a theory at one point that Adam was actually Shauna's child [laughs]. I was like, 'Wow, you guys went straight to incest.' So, our dark hearts are, again, very charmed by that—although he was not her son [laughs]. We did not go there. Bart, you liked that Callie theory."

"One of my favorite ones was the idea that the girl that we see running in the teaser of the pilot was actually [Shauna's daughter] Callie—that what we were seeing was not a flashback, but a flash forward to Callie being kidnapped and brought back into the wilderness [laughs]. I mean, I know it's not Callie. I just thought that was such a fun, clever, creative idea. Although, it also steps on some stuff that we saw immediately later in the pilot because we then obviously unveil Misty. So, we can't do that, but the fact that somebody was thinking that in almost the fifth dimension and having what would actually be a fourth timeline in the pilot, I was just like, 'Oh, that's just really fun.'"

It's fan engagement. It's like gold, especially now that there's so much TV to choose from. The showrunners sound entertained by it, to me.

I definitely see your point. I’ve read so many articles by now that I can’t remember who said what when. I just have the impression that while of course they’re thrilled that fans love the show are talking about it, in some cases it’s gone so far that they wanted to answer some of the questions so that the theories like AdAm iS jAvI would just stop. Again, just my overall impression after reading (far too many 😂) articles and interviews. I think they wanted to nip some of it in the bud.

8 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Exactly! They are obviously thrilled that people love the show they made this much. Any writer would be!

I think them shutting down a lot of the theories already is about tempering people's expectations. I can see them being worried about fans being upset when the show's answers are all pretty straight forward rather than the elaborate twists the fans are theorizing about so the writers are making sure the fans know that upfront. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think them shutting down a lot of the theories already is about tempering people's expectations. I can see them being worried about fans being upset when the show's answers are all pretty straight forward rather than the elaborate twists the fans are theorizing about so the writers are making sure the fans know that upfront. 

I agree. While there is some mystery to the show, I think it was intended to be more of a character driven drama than a jaw dropping whodunit. A lot of the secondary characters and some of the storylines seem to exist just to give more context to the primary characters.

ETA: the above should read I NOW think...in the beginning of the show, I thought they would be going for more jaw dropping reveals.

So, at this point, who could Pit Girl and Strung Up Girl be? Mari is the only character (I mean that they have given a name to and any lines) that physically matches either girl. I suppose it's possible the identity of both is a character we haven't even been introduced to yet...

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I agree. While there is some mystery to the show, I think it was intended to be more of a character driven drama than a jaw dropping whodunit. A lot of the secondary characters and some of the storylines seem to exist just to give more context to the primary characters.

Agree. Adam was just a regular guy who was into Shauna, but his character moved the plot along, and gave viewers more insight into the main characters (Including Jeff!) And they’re likely going to be experiencing repercussions from his death in season 2.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Exactly! They are obviously thrilled that people love the show they made this much. Any writer would be!

I agree. Take Adam for example. I'll admit I had a hard time accepting Adam was just a guy who had the hots for Shauna. There were so many red herrings associated with his character I thought there had to be more to it. However, like Cinnabon just said, "Adam being Adam" doesn't mean it's over. The ladies buried a torso that has a very distinctive tattoo. If the remains are found, then all roads lead back to Shauna.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4
Just now, BitterApple said:

The ladies buried a torso that has a very distinctive tattoo. If the remains are found, then all roads lead back to Shauna.

But Misty said it wouldn't!

That cracked me up so hard. Who cares? What can you do with a torso?

• LOL 7
24 minutes ago, Tatum said:

So, at this point, who could Pit Girl and Strung Up Girl be? Mari is the only character (I mean that they have given a name to and any lines) that physically matches either girl. I suppose it's possible the identity of both is a character we haven't even been introduced to yet...

Yea, I feel like it's just Mari. That makes the most sense. Do any of the other YJ girls that have no lines have that hair style/color? If so, perhaps it's one of them, but I think that'd be too mundane. Unless maybe they expand the roles of some of the mostly invisible girls next season.

I'm very excited to see who they cast as adult Lottie. Although, I think it'll likely be more of an unknown. I can't really think of any bigger actress that's that age range and Chinese or Maori.

• Love 2

Shauna really should have thought to tell Misty about the tattoo. Now everything depends on when the torso is found. There'll be nothing but bone after a while, but that is after a while. It was a bit of a strange thing for Misty to overlook, though. As a "citizen detective" she knows how important identifiers like that are. And Adam was definitely someone who if you were asked to bet on whether he had a tattoo, you'd bet yes.

Then there's Taissa taking Adam's heart and sticking it on her altar. She better hope her wife doesn't take it to the police.

• Love 3
Just now, Black Knight said:

Shauna really should have thought to tell Misty about the tattoo. Now everything depends on when the torso is found. There'll be nothing but bone after a while, but that is after a while. It was a bit of a strange thing for Misty to overlook, though. As a "citizen detective" she knows how important identifiers like that are. And Adam was definitely someone who if you were asked to bet on whether he had a tattoo, you'd bet yes.

How would that work though? Let's say Adam's torso is quickly dug up, and his family confirms that yes, the back tattoos are an exact match for their missing family member. Without the head or hands, even if the family knows this is Adam, can anyone legally come after Shauna?

It would be proof that Adam was murdered, and that he was murdered in the area in which he'd been living (as opposed to, say, going on a trip, which is how Misty tried to make it look, and having something happen to him elsewhere) and give some indication of how long he's been dead.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Tatum said:

How would that work though? Let's say Adam's torso is quickly dug up, and his family confirms that yes, the back tattoos are an exact match for their missing family member. Without the head or hands, even if the family knows this is Adam, can anyone legally come after Shauna?

I think the cops would find out about the affair via cell phone records and target Jeff. Shauna can lie and manipulate like a pro, but Jeff is a dope. He'd be a pretty easy nut to crack. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
Just now, BitterApple said:

I think the cops would find out about the affair via cell phone records and target Jeff. Shauna can lie and manipulate like a pro, but Jeff is a dope. He'd be a pretty easy nut to crack. 

You are right, I forgot about him:). I was thinking the cops may strongly suspect Shauna, but if they couldn't legally identify the body (beyond the family saying the tattoo matched) they couldn't come after her for murder. But you are right, Jeff would crack in a minute and admit everything.

• Love 1
Just now, Tatum said:

You are right, I forgot about him:). I was thinking the cops may strongly suspect Shauna, but if they couldn't legally identify the body (beyond the family saying the tattoo matched) they couldn't come after her for murder. But you are right, Jeff would crack in a minute and admit everything.

They'd be able to identify Adam through DNA. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Ah. Yeah, Shauna better hope he stays buried.

ETA: if DNA can be used from a torso, then with or without the tattoo, I think Misty was wrong to be so cavalier about the possibility of the body being discovered, funny as it was.

Edited by Tatum
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

Misty was wrong to be so cavalier about the possibility of the body being discovered, funny as it was.

Yes that was really wrong. Torsos have DNA, same as extremities or heads. Thing is, they have to have something to match it to. People who know Adam have to provide his brush or razor. The final nail for Shauna would be what is found in her bedroom and closet, or car. If they get that far to suspect her.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tatum said:
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

2 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Yes that was really wrong. Torsos have DNA, same as extremities or heads. Thing is, they have to have something to match it to. People who know Adam have to provide his brush or razor. The final nail for Shauna would be what is found in her bedroom and closet, or car. If they get that far to suspect her.

If the body’s found before the tattoo is lost to decomposition, and he’s identified by the tattoo, there are many sources of DNA that could make a positive identification, including surviving family members.  (That’s assuming that they need the tattoo - it wouldn’t be much of a leap to inquire if the remains of a male found in a local park could be the man who disappeared nearby).  Sometimes police can even locate medical samples that have not yet been destroyed. And, of course, he may have some legal trouble sometime in his past that resulted in a DNA sample taken.   That’s in addition to the brush or razor and just off the top of my head. Once they know, or think they know, who it might be, phone records of calls and texts - which are kept by the phone provider regardless of whether the SIM cards were destroyed - would lead them to Shauna. Tower records up to the point where they turned off their phones would put Shauna in or near his apartment. In fact, the police would seek a warrant to get the numbers of everyone whose phone pinged off the towers nearest his apartment, and that could lead to Tai and Nat as well. 

I’ve  read a lot search warrant applications and this isn’t just CSI stuff for once - it’s really done. Misty had the right idea but should’ve taken the torso as well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I feel like it's just Mari. That makes the most sense. Do any of the other YJ girls that have no lines have that hair style/color? If so, perhaps it's one of them, but I think that'd be too mundane. Unless maybe they expand the roles of some of the mostly invisible girls next season.

I'm very excited to see who they cast as adult Lottie. Although, I think it'll likely be more of an unknown. I can't really think of any bigger actress that's that age range and Chinese or Maori.

Tia Carrere? But she’s short.

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Then there's Taissa taking Adam's heart and sticking it on her altar. She better hope her wife doesn't take it to the police.

The show runners confirmed it was the dog’s heart, not Adam’s. Not that that’s any better.

• Useful 3