Type keyword(s) to search

Hive Mind: Speculation

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Throwing this out there, but I was wondering if Misty was actually still involved in the cult and manipulating Nat. Just thinking about how she was the one who gave Nat Travis's license, where he worked, the last note he allegedly wrote, that his bank account was emptied. And she was the one face we saw smiling during the flashback cannibal scene--plus one of the first members.

Then I also thought it would be sadly ironic if she wasn't involved with the cult because even they ghosted her when they were no longer forced to be with her.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I agree that if born, that baby won’t have much of a chance. It would also be extremely tiny, so wouldn’t offer much sustenance even if they did eat it.

Maybe not but it’s the perfect first step for a break in the group.  There are still a bunch of teens we haven’t really  seen much of yet.  One of them could take a moral stance against eating a baby and half the group could stand with her and be horrified that Shauna isn’t on their side.   But this split is what turns one group into outright cannibalism.  

By the way I love that this show has us talking about eating a baby as a serious possibility for a plot point.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Maybe not but it’s the perfect first step for a break in the group.  There are still a bunch of teens we haven’t really  seen much of yet.  One of them could take a moral stance against eating a baby and half the group could stand with her and be horrified that Shauna isn’t on their side.   But this split is what turns one group into outright cannibalism.  

By the way I love that this show has us talking about eating a baby as a serious possibility for a plot point.

So true! 😂 But cooking a scrawny 1-2 pound fetus would probably leave them with little more than a few bones. Will be interesting to see them try, though.🙂

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I'm late to the party having just finished the show.  But I do have speculation:  could Adam be Paul, boyfriend of Coach Ben?

Only if he was like 10 when he was with Ben lol.

I believe the writers have said there’s nothing more to Adam than what was already revealed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hey! Obsessed with this show and just finished it. Apologies if this isn't the right spot but here's a few questions/speculations I have:

--How many "redshirts" are there currently among the survivors? How big is that group as of the end of Season 1? Do any have names that aren't major characters (yet)?

--Has there been any confirmation as to the level of "supernatural" we're in for? So far, I like that they've kept it lighter/implied...not to reference LOST again but I preferred when it hadn't gone too off the rails with time travel, etc and there was a Cold War govt study vibe to the island. Like, I'd totally buy it if the Yellowjackets are in some weird vortex part of Washington State or BC wilderness (I've heard theories Lottie may have seen turbine tunnels during her baptism and a huge dam somewhere could be causing weird things like hyper aggressive wolves). I like that so much is in the mind/human condition so far...

--Did I miss any acknowledgements from anyone in present day that all casualties were not during the crash? 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

Hey! Obsessed with this show and just finished it. Apologies if this isn't the right spot but here's a few questions/speculations I have:

--How many "redshirts" are there currently among the survivors? How big is that group as of the end of Season 1? Do any have names that aren't major characters (yet)?

I feel like somebody counted in the funeral scene and there were 19 people? Including Jackie and Laura Lee? 

--Has there been any confirmation as to the level of "supernatural" we're in for? So far, I like that they've kept it lighter/implied...not to reference LOST again but I preferred when it hadn't gone too off the rails with time travel, etc and there was a Cold War govt study vibe to the island. Like, I'd totally buy it if the Yellowjackets are in some weird vortex part of Washington State or BC wilderness (I've heard theories Lottie may have seen turbine tunnels during her baptism and a huge dam somewhere could be causing weird things like hyper aggressive wolves). I like that so much is in the mind/human condition so far...

I haven't heard any confirmation and that's good imo. So far everything could be completely natural--even some supernatural stuff like Lottie having visions would be consider within the realm of natural for some people. So could be our world, but we believe in psychics or whatever. I don't see any reason for there to be any government conspiracy since what would that add to the girls starting a cult with human sacrifice and having to live with that later?

--Did I miss any acknowledgements from anyone in present day that all casualties were not during the crash? 

To other people? Not that I remember. Except, I guess, to Jeff if we count him reading it in Shauna's diary. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I feel like somebody counted in the funeral scene and there were 19 people? Including Jackie and Laura Lee? 

I haven't heard any confirmation and that's good imo. So far everything could be completely natural--even some supernatural stuff like Lottie having visions would be consider within the realm of natural for some people. So could be our world, but we believe in psychics or whatever. I don't see any reason for there to be any government conspiracy since what would that add to the girls starting a cult with human sacrifice and having to live with that later?

To other people? Not that I remember. Except, I guess, to Jeff if we count him reading it in Shauna's diary. 

Lottie - schizophrenics have hallucinations. Nothing supernatural about it. Add in some collective hysteria. Not uncommon for young girls under a lot of stress.

• Love 2

Thanks to you both! No, I'm okay with hallucinations and even psychic premonitions and oddly rabid wolves. And, of course, human-created cults and rituals and strange sociology is prime game for this "Lord of the Flies" type stuff--it makes it scarier if anything! I just think I'd probably lose interest a little bit if it went time-travel or ghosts or literal demons or returns from the dead.

19 (even including Laura Lee and Jackie, RIP) seems like a LOT considering I assumed (perhaps wrongly) many died during the crash? How many members are there to a soccer team?! We know it was a private chartered flight so it's not like there were other random passengers just travelling to Seattle. It was only those affiliated with the Yellowjackets finals.

Edited by JasonCC
6 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

19 (even including Laura Lee and Jackie, RIP) seems like a LOT considering I assumed (perhaps wrongly) many died during the crash? How many members are there to a soccer team?! We know it was a private chartered flight so it's not like there were other random passengers just travelling to Seattle. It was only those affiliated with the Yellowjackets finals.

I think only like 4 or 5 died during the crash. The one freshman, the coach, and the pilot for sure. That's all I can think of but for some reason I'm remembering 4 graves. Although 1 grave was for Ben's leg lol.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2022 at 7:48 AM, JasonCC said:

How many members are there to a soccer team?!

You got me wondering - so, results of a quick google search:

typical high school boys or girls soccer team: 18-20 players

typical D1 NCAA soccer team: 28 

MLS: 30

(11 on the field, of course, at any given time)

It wouldn't surprise me if a national championship caliber HS team carried a few more players than most, so I'd guess 20 or a few more. (I looked for rules on maximums and found a few, but they were localized. I.e., you can have a max of 25 at the Michigan state championships unless you had more than 25 on the roster all season long; another locality set a limit of 22.) 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, JasonCC said:

How many members are there to a soccer team?! 

Ironically i don’t think too many actual soccer players died during the crash.  Just the pilot, co pilot and the head coach.   Maybe one or two players.     They also brought a few JV players with them as backup.  The last thing you want is to have someone injured and to not have enough players during a championship game so when you can you bring a couple extras.      Plus it’s a good way for the show to add extra layers.  Younger girls who genuinely want to impress the older girls.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Also, someone on reddit pointed out that the person behind Natalie in that BTS photo is likely Javi. I didn't think Javi would survive, mainly because the actor is going to age more quickly than the character should (think Walt on Lost), but I don't know who else that person could be.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Also, someone on reddit pointed out that the person behind Natalie in that BTS photo is likely Javi. I didn't think Javi would survive, mainly because the actor is going to age more quickly than the character should (think Walt on Lost), but I don't know who else that person could be.

How old is Javi supposed to be, btw? Walt was pre-pubescent when it started and then shot up, but if Javi is 14, he could potentially have a growth spurth over 19 months. It always makes me think of the boys on Freaks and Geeks where one of the boys looks 12 and the other looks 16 and they're all 14.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I have no idea lol. The actor seems to have been 11 when season 1 was shot, which is about the age I assumed Javi was supposed to be tbh.

Good age--it means he probably would be starting puberty in the woods and right now is still a child more than any of the other characters. That separates him from the two other male characters who are men-or nearly a man in Travis' case. Seems like the forest would have a special effect on him in that case.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm not sure exactly when the first season was shot - obviously I know when it actually premiered, LOL - but I did look up the Javi actor on IMDB and he's 14 now.

Personally, I don't think Javi makes it out of the woods alive, as I feel like Nat would have referenced him in the aftermath of finding Travis dead. And it would go to explaining why adult Travis was all messed up...

• Useful 1

He was already Sophie Nelisse's height, so I'm not sure how much more growing he will do. But they can just shoot him sitting down or in solo shots. He's not that important a character, so fairly easy to work around.

It looks to me like they deliberately cast a kid who had already lost the baby fat in his face, so that he both already looked older than 11 and would look similar when he did reach 14, which I think is the age they are shooting for with Javi. (It's just too cringey with Shauna otherwise.) The casting director has done a really good job of casting people who are believable for the ages they're playing even if they're quite a lot off.

• Like 1

I don't see Javi being meant to be 14 personally. He'd be in high school then and it seems clear to me he isn't in high school. 

I hope he does die though because if only 3 of them die out there that's sort of stupid lol. Although, I keep forgetting there's still several unnamed girls. I'm sure they'll all die (and be eaten).

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

He was already Sophie Nelisse's height, so I'm not sure how much more growing he will do. But they can just shoot him sitting down or in solo shots. He's not that important a character, so fairly easy to work around.

It looks to me like they deliberately cast a kid who had already lost the baby fat in his face, so that he both already looked older than 11 and would look similar when he did reach 14, which I think is the age they are shooting for with Javi. (It's just too cringey with Shauna otherwise.) The casting director has done a really good job of casting people who are believable for the ages they're playing even if they're quite a lot off.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I hope he does die though because if only 3 of them die out there that's sort of stupid lol. Although, I keep forgetting there's still several unnamed girls. I'm sure they'll all die (and be eaten).

It's my impression too that they cast a kid who can age a bit without having the Walt experience where he looks like a year has past in between the days that have supposed to have passed on the show. It's always a risk with boys, but this way they can fudge his age. I figured Javi was supposed to be at most a freshman, so junior high/middle school makes sense.

There are lots of unnamed girls, and a few of them have been cast to have bigger parts in S2. One thing I believe I read specifically is

Spoiler

there's a JV girl named Crystal who loves musicals that's going to become friends with Misty. And that may bring Misty into scenes with other JV girls as well.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't see Javi being meant to be 14 personally. He'd be in high school then and it seems clear to me he isn't in high school. 

It depends on his birthday, since there's that borderline DOB period where parents must then choose to either have their kid be the oldest or the youngest in the grade. My mom chose "oldest," so I was in 8th grade when I was 14.

• Love 1

My newest theory is that Shauna's forest/mountain baby is still alive and is currently with Lotti's cult. The baby was with the group that didn't get rescued. Shauna's guilt deeply lies in the fact that she left her baby behind to save herself.    Maybe the kid is second in command under Lotti.  

I have been rewatching season 1 and there was a particular scene in the pilot where young Shauna threatens Young Jeff that if he comes inside of her that she would raise the child out of spite to become a killing machine and exact her revenge or something to that nature.  I mean it might have just been a funny line but considering he did get her pregnant it would be an interesting and extremely awkward moment for everyone involved especially Shauna's daughter who probably knows very little about what actually happened those 19 months.  

• Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

My newest theory is that Shauna's forest/mountain baby is still alive and is currently with Lotti's cult. The baby was with the group that didn't get rescued. Shauna's guilt deeply lies in the fact that she left her baby behind to save herself.    Maybe the kid is second in command under Lotti.  

Is there someplace where this theory that people didn't get rescued comes from? I keep seeing it as if it's a thing that exists, but everything in the show seems to just say the kids were lost and then they were rescued, with no references to people being left behind one way or the other. It seems like the show's more interested in people having this experience and then living with it. Plus,

Spoiler

Lottie has returned to regular society and was institutionalized after her return so it seems unlikely she'd be able to raise a baby.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

There's been nothing in the show per se to indicate it, but since we don't have full lists yet of who died in the woods and who was rescued, it's certainly a possibility. I've spent a fair amount of time contemplating the possibility of one or more people having been left behind. The reasons why the show might do this:

One, it'd be shocking. Two, it would certainly explain why all the survivors are so concerned about whatever happened in the woods being revealed, because such an action would implicate everyone, not only those who were part of Lottie's cult. I don't think all of the survivors were part of the cult; Nat said, for instance, that Travis never believed any of it. Nat herself seems really unlikely to go in for something like that. I'm 50-50 on Shauna. Tai I think probably got pulled in to a degree by Van and then extricated herself. We know Misty was part of it, but whether she really bought into it or she just saw it as a way to form a connection with other people after having reverted to her outsider status is still an open question.

• Useful 1

Maybe they killed others for their religious rituals. Whether or not they ate them, I don't know. 

Tai would also be useful to them on the outside. In the government. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Anela said:

Maybe they killed others for their religious rituals. Whether or not they ate them, I don't know. 

Entirely possible, but that would only implicate members of the cult. I don't think all the survivors were members, and there has to be something that implicates both cult and non-cult members. Leaving someone behind in the woods would fit the bill.

You make a great point about Tai being a high value target for the cult now that she's been elected. If she attributes her surprise win to the sacrifice of the dog, then she'll be tempted to keep tapping into that to gain more power. If not, the cult could resort to blackmailing her - perhaps with something to do with covering up Adam's murder.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

From the new trailer, it appears there will be scenes of them coming home. I didn't expect to see that this soon.

I was really happy about it because I was hoping they would just do flashbacks in whatever order when it came to that rather than making it part of the chronological story of them being in the wilderness. 

• Like 2

I'm hazy on the timelines. Assuming there's a group that leaves and a group left behind, how old would Shauna's baby be at the time of the rescue? I'm not trying to shit on anyone's theory, but I'm just wondering how Lottie and Co. would keep it alive if Shauna wasn't there to breastfeed? 

39 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm hazy on the timelines. Assuming there's a group that leaves and a group left behind, how old would Shauna's baby be at the time of the rescue? I'm not trying to shit on anyone's theory, but I'm just wondering how Lottie and Co. would keep it alive if Shauna wasn't there to breastfeed? 

They were in the woods for 19 months and Shauna got pregnant right before they left, so the baby would be under a year old when they were rescued if it lived.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

They were in the woods for 19 months and Shauna got pregnant right before they left, so the baby would be under a year old when they were rescued if it lived.

Appreciate it, thanks!

On 3/9/2023 at 5:57 PM, peachmangosteen said:

From the new trailer, it appears there will be scenes of them coming home. I didn't expect to see that this soon.

I think they have to, for at least the ones we know already survived. Most notably, it's just too tricky to continue telling the story of Shauna and Jeff's marriage without seeing what happened when Shauna came home and everyone learned Jackie was dead. My guess is by the end of the second season we'll have Shauna's backstory from the point she came home filled out: How it is that she didn't go to Brown, how it is that she and Jeff married.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I like the idea that Misty’s kidnap basement has been used before Jessica.  Maybe after getting rescued she found coach Ben and held him there for a time.   

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't see Ben surviving. I feel like they have to kill off another main before they're rescued and we already know it's not any of the other mains. 

You are probably right Coach Ben likely dies before Season 2 ends.  The story makes the most sense that with the very last adult gone the girls devolve completely into insanity.  I will just be disappointed if Misty isn't the one who kills.....make that kills him slowly.    

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

You are probably right Coach Ben likely dies before Season 2 ends.  The story makes the most sense that with the very last adult gone the girls devolve completely into insanity.  I will just be disappointed if Misty isn't the one who kills.....make that kills him slowly.    

He doesn’t deserve that 🥲.

• Like 3

Watching the first episode of the new season.. I wonder if shauna suggests eating Jackie when the other meat runs out… or if she just starts bringing in the meat without telling the others right away what it is… 

ugh.. I don’t know I I can handle actual cannibalism on screen versus just suspected.. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, roctavia said:

Watching the first episode of the new season.. I wonder if shauna suggests eating Jackie when the other meat runs out… or if she just starts bringing in the meat without telling the others right away what it is… 

ugh.. I don’t know I I can handle actual cannibalism on screen versus just suspected.. 

I've seen this suggestion a lot, but I just don't get why Shauna would do that. Although, of course, there is that scene where she feed her family the rabbit in a similar way.

• Like 2