Type keyword(s) to search

Hive Mind: Speculation

Pallas
  • Start Topic

(edited)

This is pure speculation but--while a critically weel-received show with a devoted online fanbase--the show isn't a ratings smash. Can they quantify how many people added on the Showtime option to Paramount Plus just for this season like I did?

The picking up of the pace happened so much these last couple episodes for good or for bad. I think perhaps (with the writers' strike also contributing) maybe instead of the mentioned five seasons we get one more for a total of 3. Ideally one that's 13 or 14 episodes long instead of 9 or 10, but Showtime only guaranteed three the writers just said they could do five.

Somewhat related to that "picking up of the pace" to full on Antler Queen and Pit Girl society I think one of the big questions to unfold isn't as much "how do they get so witchy and cannibalistic?" anymore but "how the hell are Travis and Coach Ben going to fit into this new norm?"  Remember they still have another whole winter to go. Right? 19 months would be May-ish 1996 to Feb 1998? That's a lot of time still. Or do they take a hiatus from the ritual, killings, and Lord of the Flies stuff over the summer and revive it in a much more streamlined fashion the next winter? Also, things could get dark sexually with a broken Travis being passed around (Lottie?) and that plays into the modern version with those three (Travis. Lottie, Natalie). 

Edited by JasonCC
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Out of curiosity, do ratings include streaming numbers? I have the feeling way more people are watching Thursday/Friday on the app versus the network airing on Sunday. 

I definitely think ending on an extended third season is the best way to go. The show runners were a little too ambitious with hoping for five. There just isn't enough material.

• Like 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Out of curiosity, do ratings include streaming numbers? I have the feeling way more people are watching Thursday/Friday on the app versus the network airing on Sunday. 

I definitely think ending on an extended third season is the best way to go. The show runners were a little too ambitious with hoping for five. There just isn't enough material.

I saw that this is the second most-streamed show ever, on Showtime. I don't know how much that really means, when there are people who are watching it over and over. 

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/yellowjackets-second-most-streamed-showtime-history-1235157192/

That's from January 2022, but I think it was on the app this morning. I only really have Showtime for this show, and need to cancel it before it takes another payment, next month. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 5/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, snarts said:

I suggested that they'd return to the woods and pit girl would be Callie. Everyone poo pooed it as preposterous so here it is again....

I was thinking something would happen and they won't end up drinking the shots. Then Lisa would come in and take the loaded shot unaware (she has been built up too much to just be Natalie's guide to cult life). Callie would fit with that too but I don't know if the show would want go that bleak.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

I was thinking something would happen and they won't end up drinking the shots. Then Lisa would come in and take the loaded shot unaware (she has been built up too much to just be Natalie's guide to cult life). Callie would fit with that too but I don't know if the show would want go that bleak.

We have seen Callie drinking a lot, but I can't see them killing her off either. In the preview when Walter asks Jeff to help move "the body," Jeff looks horrified but not the level of horrified you'd expect from a parent who lost a child. I expect it will be Lisa as well. 

• Like 2

A brief tally of the noteworthy narrative drivers/plot points in play for Season 3 and beyond.

• The search for new shelter for the group;
  • Conflict with Coach Ben;
  • The identity of Javi's "friend";
  • Per the S2 finale, at some point one of the characters will refuse to participate in the draw;
  • Shauna's resentment of not being the leader.

2021/?

• Dark Tai and everything relating to her actions, including Tai's chaotic family situation;
  • Van's having cancer;
  • Walter isn't per se a plotline, but as a man of considerable means and dubious morals, he seems like somebody who could cause problems for the group going ahead;
  • Theoretically there could be more to the whole coverup of all the previous murders, but I personally think that's unlikely.
  • Like 5

Great list and I agree about Walter. I think Misty involving him in the cover-up is going to bite the group in the ass. Walter is smart, rich and kills at the drop of a hat. He won't be as easy to dispatch as Adam or Jessica Roberts. I wonder if Walter is after the true story of what happened in those woods. 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2023 at 1:10 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I’m assuming the bonus ep will be cabin daddy’s backstory. I thought he would be behind the symbol but I don’t really see them revealing the origin of the symbol in a bonus ep.

I think this will be a standalone episode featuring Jason Ritter as Cabin Guy with some of the rumored "deleted scenes" edited in.  From the cast interviews it certainly sounds like the adult actresses scattered following the filming of the scenes at Lottie's compound and didn't stay to film another episode.  I don't know about the teen actors.  

• Useful 2
On 6/5/2023 at 10:03 PM, Thalia said:

I think this will be a standalone episode featuring Jason Ritter as Cabin Guy with some of the rumored "deleted scenes" edited in.  From the cast interviews it certainly sounds like the adult actresses scattered following the filming of the scenes at Lottie's compound and didn't stay to film another episode.  I don't know about the teen actors.  

Maybe 'cabin guy' will have visions of the teens when they are at the cabin. The deleted scenes should work for that.

• Like 2