Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: James B's Journey

• Start Topic

For James B, food means family. He grew up eating rich Haitian food and loves it with a passion. Now, James needs Dr. Now's help to diminish that love in order to survive, but a death in the family sends James retreating back to the comforts he knows.

Original air date 2021.12.22 

2 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

Wait a minute. At the end they were talking about New York vs. Houston but there had been no talk or footage of travel. And that’s a long way. What’s up? What did I miss?

They didn't really show much travel. He flew the second time but we got no airplane scene.

• Love 2

Two hours, not much happened and they didn't show any travel in progress.  Probably, no travel drama there...  James wasn't motivated until he started working with Dr. Paradise, but he wasn't a terrible person to begin with.  So, not a lot of TV-fame-worthy moments, good or bad, out of him... 

• Love 5

"I grew up around food"

Who didn't? 

Not a big fan of the holidays. ESPECIALLY when I miss my 600lb Wednesdays.

Why is every camera shot an upshot? At least he has on pants 

OMG, he made friends with the lunch ladies. 

"My condition I have" No trauma? Just loves to eat? Maybe I can relate. 

"You know, they do deliver salads"

Damn you holidays! I am so sorry to have missed the live chat 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
37 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

So the live chat was locked before I could say bye, so stay safe, Pounders, happy holidays to those who are celebrating, and sending hugs to those who struggle. Love my Pounder pals! See you on the other side!

Happy Holidays to you too! 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

So the live chat was locked before I could say bye, so stay safe, Pounders, happy holidays to those who are celebrating, and sending hugs to those who struggle. Love my Pounder pals! See you on the other side!

Same to you! I wasn't expecting an episode next week, but I checked and there is Lucas's story.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Sproutlet said:

Does anyone know what the maximum weight is for most bariatric surgeons? He was almost under 500 pounds, so maybe Dr. Now could transfer his care to someone in NYC is he's unable to making excuses not to move to Houston.

I suspect it's more an issue of filming.  Dr. Now does the surgery for free in exchange for the TV exposure.  Thinking there might not be a non-TV doctor in NYC to do it for the same price.

• Love 4

I'm sure there are surgeons in the NYC area that could work with James, but then he wouldn't be on TV.       Dr. Now apparently has a patent on some of the very long instruments that patients over 500 lbs. require, and he gets a lot of money for that.       So, it's not just the operations on larger patients, but the hospitals he uses have larger beds, bigger operating tables, wider wheelchairs, etc.     Plus, the very big patients like James require more staff time to handle, and move safely.         James, and the relatives didn't say anything about trying other programs, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's flunked out of other ones locally.   

I'm wondering if James eventually dropped out of the program, because he had no intention of moving to Houston.     I think he's another one that thinks after the magic surgery, he'll be able to eat anything again, and would eat through the surgery.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think he's another one that thinks after the magic surgery, he'll be able to eat anything again, and would eat through the surgery.  

Absolutely- delusional, like so many of these folks. As soon as the poundicipant identifies as an aspiring rapper, I give up hope. This one will never lose much weight, will regain it, and will never have a job.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think he's another one that thinks after the magic surgery, he'll be able to eat anything again, and would eat through the surgery.  

I was definitely getting that vibe from him.  Not surprised, actually...  most of them want a magic solution where they can eat everything they want, as much as they want, yet not be so overweight where it causes issues (be it stares, or difficulty moving, or whatever it is that bothers them, usually not the fact that they are huge in and of itself).   I mean, wouldn't we all...  I would love to magically regrow all of my teeth anew without fillings and be just fine on 3 hours of sleep per night - but I am old enough to know better...  Although the moment they learn to regrow actual teeth, I am signing up!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I was on his side until he started cancelling appointments, and lied about everything to Dr. Paradise.   I guess James doesn't realize that Dr. Paradise has all of the information about him, and I bet has a long questionaire from the poundticipant before the first interview.   

By the end, even though James lost a lot of weight, and seemed to getting a lot more active, he was using every excuse from Ryan's episode to say why he couldn't move, why he was cheating, why he wasn't losing as much as Dr. Now directed.     If there's ever a follow up on him, I bet it won't be good.

I wonder if it finally dawned on him that surgery wouldn't instantly make him healthy, slim, and physically perfect, because it won't.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Hellga said:

Two hours, not much happened and they didn't show any travel in progress.  Probably, no travel drama there...  James wasn't motivated until he started working with Dr. Paradise, but he wasn't a terrible person to begin with.  So, not a lot of TV-fame-worthy moments, good or bad, out of him... 

I got bored and went to bed on hour in.  Did he lose anything?

• Love 1

Dr. Now approved him, if he moved to Houston, and kept losing before surgery.  However, he never moved to Houston, he 'had too much going on, and besides his deadbeat father died",   I don't think he'll ever get surgery. 

At least this episode covered a year, not six or seven month like Ryan and Lacey, where we knew from the start that it wasn't going to be a good episode. 

I really love Cheyenne.  Her "to be continued" remark was hysterical.      

I'm wondering if James' apartment is rent controlled?    Or a sublet, and if he leaves it will be impossible to get that good of a deal.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Damn you holidays! I am so sorry to have missed the live chat 

I almost always miss it, but I still love to read it, and with Lacey, I read it as I watched, and read it again later.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SDVegas said:

James bathed more thoroughly than anyone else I’ve seen on this show. 

Yes, he had lots of soap and those shower gloves and the stick.  I bet he smelled a lot better than some other poundicipants.

That he cares about his mobility and hygiene gave me high hopes. Maybe it will change later. He has something happening with his ankles and joints that seems to make mobility a problem. That penguin walk that other's have mentioned looks painful.

This also made me think if any of the pounders have autoimmune disorders or something like fibromilagia that is undiagnosed that cause lots of pain and they try to treat it with food.

Also, doctors will see fat before underlying conditions.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 8

Sorry to have missed the live. The most interesting part was the smoking discussion. I’m a proud quitter since 2002. 
Some people were wondering where he lived. I recognized NYC scenes. They were in upper Manhattan (I recognized two towers) and sitting outside Central Park on the park bench. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Sorry to have missed the live. The most interesting part was the smoking discussion. I’m a proud quitter since 2002. 
Some people were wondering where he lived. I recognized NYC scenes. They were in upper Manhattan (I recognized two towers) and sitting outside Central Park on the park bench. 

Congratulations on quitting.  I thought upper Manhattan was very expensive. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nokat said:

Also, doctors will see fat before underlying conditions.

Dr. Mike just did a video on this subject.

1 hour ago, GussieK said:

They were in upper Manhattan (I recognized two towers) and sitting outside Central Park on the park bench. 

I thought he said he lived in Brooklyn at one point (maybe when he was talking to Dr. Paradise?).

• Love 3
6 hours ago, nokat said:

Congratulations on quitting.  I thought upper Manhattan was very expensive. 

Oh that would be too simplistic a way to explain the geography. They were in east harlem it looked like. Which is all over the place on price, including a lot of public housing.  And it appeared they were sharing a place. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if James' apartment is rent controlled?    Or a sublet, and if he leaves it will be impossible to get that good of a deal. 

That was my first thought as well.  I know plenty of people who do anything they can not to give up a rent controlled apartment in the city.  They are GOLD.  

Someone upthread said that at least he did better than Ryan.  I have to applaud the kindness of that statement since that bar wasn't just low, it was sitting on the ground.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Because of his morbid obesity I would think Medicare (that I'm certain he has) would cover the surgery; however, you are right in the assumption that not all NYC bariatric surgeons would accept Medicare so there's that.

I agree.  When I saw the intensity of his dependence on his father's passing (whom he admitted he had a very minimal relationship with in life)as an excuse not to conform to the Program I understood that this was an obstacle that was going to cripple James from making significant progress in his weight loss journey.

Absolutely agree!! Not only did his grieving become his excuse, but also he kept saying he had to be there to help the rest of his family in dealing with this passing. I got the impression the dad wasn't there for any of them. But I guess my question would be, what exactly was he doing to help his family in ANY way?? I only saw him sitting there saying he was helping them deal. I never actually saw him do one thing. Maybe I missed something.

• Love 4

I'm terrible.  I laughed out loud when he was reading the letter he wrote to his father.  (BTW, is Dr. Paradise taking advice from Lola these days?)

Anyway, when he read, "I'm glad I got to go to your funeral," my thought was, "I don't think that came out the way you meant for it to."

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
Just now, AZChristian said:

I'm terrible.  I laughed out loud when he was reading the letter he wrote to his father.  (BTW, is Dr. Paradise taking advice from Lola these days?)

Anyway, when he read, "I'm glad I got to go to your funeral," my thought was, "I don't think that came out the way you meant for it to."

Just maybe it did!!  LOL

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

If you're terrible I'm terrible because I laughed like a hyena. If you didn't know he'd had no relationship with his father, you'd certainly know it after hearing that lame ass letter. He had NOTHING to say to his dad! "Dear Dad, I miss you a lot. I can't talk about all the fun things we did together or reflect on your influence on my life, so, um, bye Dad". What a phony. 

• Love 7

Bonus points to cousin Cheyenne for that blue t-shirt she wears on the first day of the road trip (from about 17 minutes into the show):

WAKE UP
IT'S FEEDING TIME

🤣 🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣 

(works as a summary of the first 10 minutes of any episode)

• LOL 8
On 12/25/2021 at 7:51 PM, SomeWords said:

Bonus points to cousin Cheyenne for that blue t-shirt she wears on the first day of the road trip (from about 17 minutes into the show):

WAKE UP
IT'S FEEDING TIME

🤣 🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣  🤣 

(works as a summary of the first 10 minutes of any episode)

Wonder if anyone has ever made a shirt saying "It's Food O'Clock Somewhere"

• LOL 4
  • Love 2