Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought this was one of the better episodes.  They were all involved in the same story and it was fun and funny.

And Ellen's coworker?  Gross. Putting your bare feet anywhere near someone else in an office is fireable offense as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

And Ellen's coworker?  Gross. Putting your bare feet anywhere near someone else in an office is fireable offense as far as I'm concerned.

I’m just having to tell myself that most of what’s shown here is “as remembered by” (and completely exaggerated).  So much was totally unrealistic. Learning to drive in a couple days? Putting in contact lenses a few hours after going through a serious eye inflammation and a course of about a dozen different eye rinses? And how does someone get contacts to begin with without going to a professional to determine the prescription and try them out on you? And I was totally grossed out by the spurting blood and the bar mat shots. 

Why am I even watching, you might ask? Good question. I suppose because it’s a light half hour once a week and maybe I’m hoping they’ll somehow redeem the end of the original series. 

• Like 2

I thought the point of the episode was that none of them accomplished what they wanted to in time, so I took away that Valentina is not actually wearing contacts?  I agree the episode was way too gross.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Putting in contact lenses a few hours after going through a serious eye inflammation and a course of about a dozen different eye rinses? And how does someone get contacts to begin with without going to a professional to determine the prescription and try them out on you? 

And who tries to put them in sitting at a bar? I need total privacy to focus when I put in mine.

6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Speaking of which, did anyone else catch that the office snake's name was Sonna Plane, as in "Snakes On A Plane"?

I was disappointed that they failed.  I'd have liked to have seen everyone in that huge mega bed I had pictured in my mind.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Speaking of which, did anyone else catch that the office snake's name was Sonna Plane, as in "Snakes On A Plane"?

I have to give them credit for this one - not a joke that was driven into the ground, just "Why did you name your snake Sonna...Oh, got it."

• Like 2
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m just having to tell myself that most of what’s shown here is “as remembered by” (and completely exaggerated).  So much was totally unrealistic. Learning to drive in a couple days? Putting in contact lenses a few hours after going through a serious eye inflammation and a course of about a dozen different eye rinses? And how does someone get contacts to begin with without going to a professional to determine the prescription and try them out on you? And I was totally grossed out by the spurting blood and the bar mat shots. 

Why am I even watching, you might ask? Good question. I suppose because it’s a light half hour once a week and maybe I’m hoping they’ll somehow redeem the end of the original series. 

Yeah this took me out. I remember when I first got contacts the Dr made me sit there and practice putting them in. Also, I once had pink eye and couldn't wear my contacts for like 5 days. I enjoy this show for the most part but that was just unrealistic. 

I did like everyone cheering for Jesse during the hula hooping

On 3/14/2023 at 8:31 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

This one was ok.  Kind of liked it

One thing bugs me.....why did they write sid as having a wife in med school/ residency across the country?  Is it an actress availability?  They could easily have her in residency in the same city and have the same story with him dropping out to run the bar.  

Sid is technically considered a candidate for the father, so I don't think we're supposed to consider her permanent. In fact, I'm surprised they actually had them get married.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Ewwwwww! John Corbett is old enough to be Hilary's father!

Ahhh....didn't recognize him but looked familiar. 

I was too distracted by the weird gross sideburns.  

The song was funny

• Like 2
9 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I adore John Corbett, so I was just happy to see him.  But yes, he is so so SO much older than Hilary.   

And Jesse continues to show how bad he is at relationships.  Horrible.  

• LOL 2

Wendie Malick looks pretty good.

The laugh track is so overkill, just presenting the "Welcoming Committee" thing or whatever with placards is not funny, but they dial the laugh track up to 11 like it's fall over hysterical.

Kinda clever that the show stole the Ocean's 11 soundtrack, I guess.

Why did Jesse suddenly not like the woman he was dating?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Wendie Malick is becoming the new Ed Begley Jr. in terms of how many shows I watch that she’s turned up in recently. Night Court, Shrinking, Young Sheldon.  I’m probably missing some…

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why did Jesse suddenly not like the woman he was dating?

It seemed like they were doing the Friends rip off of everyone liking the bf/gf but the person who was dating the bf/gf suddenly stopped liking them .  And then went to the SATC rip off of the something bad happened phone call to get the person out of a bad date.  The woman seemed perfectly lovely so of course Jessie wouldn't want her.  And of course now that he wants Sophie she will be

On 3/21/2023 at 7:12 AM, NeenerNeener said:

When they first interacted I thought no way will they put them together.  And then they put them together. I don't have a blanket disapproval of older men/younger women but this one is icking me out.  Probably because when Sophie was barely out of diapers this chef was in Cicely Alaska on the radio.

• Like 3
On 3/21/2023 at 7:12 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Isn't that the joke they introduced in the first episode of the season? That Sophie might actually be dating her dad? (Not that it still isn't gross...)

The welcome committee bit set up like a heist was kind of fun, but I couldn't with the Sophie/Val story. That dress was very Nordstrom Rack. I can imagine the two randos picking it for an event, but a professional stylist? Val. No. 

• Like 2

I say this as someone who is Hillary Duff's age and has had a crush on John Corbett since his MBFGW/SATC days, but I was so icked out by the age difference that it made me feel gross watching him be a romantic love interest here.

42 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Isn't that the joke they introduced in the first episode of the season? That Sophie might actually be dating her dad? (Not that it still isn't gross...)

That crossed my mind too. This is probably the payoff for that joke.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
54 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Spoiler

Am I misremembering they showed NPH aka Barney Stinson during that episode implying he was her dad or at least she thought he was?

9 minutes ago, Night Cheese said:

I say this as someone who is Hillary Duff's age and has had a crush on John Corbett since his MBFGW/SATC days

He is a having a good year. In addition to this there is his upcoming stint on AJLT and the new My Big Fat Greek Wedding. 

Edited by bluegirl147
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

Am I misremembering they showed NPH aka Barney Stinson during that episode

I want to say that she crashed into his car, while on the phone freaking out over possibly dating her dad. 

On 3/21/2023 at 6:12 AM, NeenerNeener said:

I was only half-watching, and kept looking back to see if it was really him.  Oh, those sideburns were awful!!

• Like 3
On 3/14/2023 at 9:35 PM, Lone Wolf said:

And who tries to put them in sitting at a bar? I need total privacy to focus when I put in mine.

I was disappointed that they failed.  I'd have liked to have seen everyone in that huge mega bed I had pictured in my mind.

I would - I have taken out and put in my contacts in a lot of places over the last 30 years, including the ER where I work. As a new lens wearer, no, but for those of us with lots of experience, I could see it not being a big deal.

I really want to like this show, I do, and yet something is just off about it. The chemistry between the characters is missing, they do not feel like a group of friends. Jesse is definitely the weakest part for me. I had no issues with Piz but Jesse is just annoying me this season and I do not know why. 

I also think they are trying too hard to convince me that Jesse is the father which means he will not be. Future husband, yes, but he is not the father.

• Useful 1
On 3/22/2023 at 6:41 AM, bluegirl147 said:

He is a having a good year. In addition to this there is his upcoming stint on AJLT and the new My Big Fat Greek Wedding. 

Thanks for the heads up about MBFGW! I didn't know they were making a third film. I don't remember much about the sequel, but I'm excited for the third.

So two episodes this week? Are they burning off the remaining episodes? 

I'm happy that JC's storyline appears to be wrapped up. Even if he wasn't her father, dating anyone that your mom kinda hooked up with is a non-starter, IMO. The scene with Barney was nice, even if the shock therapy stuff was late-seasons-of-HIMYM level of uninspired writing. 

I guess Sid is starting to have doubts about his marriage and the long-distance thing. Mr. Nightcheese and I did 3+ years long distance (albeit not on opposite coasts) shortly after we were married, so I know how difficult it can be. I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall here since Sid's wife (can't even remember her name) has never been a series regular or a true part of the "gang". Bit of a Ted/Stella vibe in that regard.

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, so I'm not sure what led to Ellen and her gf fooling around on Jesse's bed, but ew! Are these people horny co-eds or adults in their 30s? Cuz I've been both and I wouldn't be hooking up with someone in my brother's (or anyone's) bed as a sensible 30-something. 

• Like 2

Swish and the engagemeht might be the funniest part of the show. 

The 'he might be my dad' story is cliche. Ditto the finding the long lost dad stories on sitcoms.  I have no desire to see that.  

Justin Hemsworth!  

I reiterate I never understood the need for sids wife being included from the start.  It seems a waste. You put her in the show she's rarely used or appears and mid season two now they're obviously writing her out. 

• Like 2

The writers should have opted for a Maris route a la ‘Frasier’ for Sid’s wife  — talked about praised about constantly, never actually seen.  As it stands, it’s just bad writing as everyone said — not minimal enough to be a guest star, not maximal enough to be a regular.

We’re really going to pretend that John Corbett is some magical ageless Adonis that drives Charlie and Syd to resort to Elizabeth Bathory levels of beauty treatments when he and his character are rocking those sideburns?

As another one of Carrie Bradshaw’s beaus once proclaimed:

01194E52-2BB6-4B0B-9839-549896BFB72C.jpeg

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Swish and the engagemeht might be the funniest part of the show. 

The random cuts to him planning the wedding were hilarious. I'm guessing this season will end with their wedding.

15 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

So two episodes this week? Are they burning off the remaining episodes? 

No, this was the midseason finale.

I actually don't mind the balance they've struck with Sid's wife. When we see her, she's likeable enough, and their relationship seems worth the effort, for now. I think they hitched Sid so that he wouldn't be an obvious love interest right away. However, I don't think they should pair him with Sophie, if anything they should pair him with Valentina. They had great chemistry in a few episodes last season. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 3/28/2023 at 9:37 PM, Lethallyfab said:

We’re really going to pretend that John Corbett is some magical ageless Adonis that drives Charlie and Syd to resort to Elizabeth Bathory levels of beauty treatments when he and his character are rocking those sideburns?

As another one of Carrie Bradshaw’s beaus once proclaimed:

01194E52-2BB6-4B0B-9839-549896BFB72C.jpeg

Thank you for being the first one to say it.  From show to show and decade to decade I feel like I am being attacked by John Corbett is hot propaganda.  I guess some producers and writers really feel like that but I will never believe it, you will never make me and it will never work.  Give it a rest.  

The episode 2 episodes ago, took me a week to get through.  A week.  And the episodes are only 20 minutes.  I watch shows with episodes that are 3x that with no problem.  It's not funny enough and there's no stakes.  They need one or the other and some shows even have both.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Thank you for being the first one to say it.  From show to show and decade to decade I feel like I am being attacked by John Corbett is hot propaganda.  I guess some producers and writers really feel like that but I will never believe it, you will never make me and it will never work.  Give it a rest.  

He isn't unattractive but he has zero sex appeal IMO. He just does not have a spark.

• Like 2

I blame the ‘Sex and The City’ writers for this — he was okay attractive, I guess, when he first showed up but then on the second round, they acted like he was the hottest piece of ass to ever exist after he lost so much so much weight, but I don’t think being that skinny actually works for him as he ages.

• Like 1
On 4/5/2023 at 8:13 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I blame the ‘Sex and The City’ writers for this — he was okay attractive, I guess, when he first showed up but then on the second round, they acted like he was the hottest piece of ass to ever exist after he lost so much so much weight, but I don’t think being that skinny actually works for him as he ages.

He was kind of the hot “it” guy when he was on Northern Exposure. I think that’s where “he’s so HOT” started and it followed him to My Big Fat Greek Wedding and then SaTC.  It has to be in his rider that everyone has to slobber all over his characters all the time, or something, because that’s the only thing that makes sense. Especially when his style has leaned towards dirty and unkempt for awhile now. 

• Like 1

Well, he has been with Bo Derek for over 20 years, so he must have something! I find him attractive, but as an action person, his laid back approach to everything would drive me insane.

I found this season so much better - they finally realized that they needed to utilize some of the devices that made HIMYM so iconic (the new person heist is a good example) I can also see the cast chemistry starting to gel.

It will never be what HIMYM was (minus that awful last season - I am still bitter, so, so bitter about the ending)

• Like 1
On 5/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, chitowngirl said:

I figured Sophie’s father quest wasn’t going to be a one-and-done when I saw that Clark Gregg was cast. 

1 hour ago, Night Cheese said:

I liked all of the "dad" clichés in the hot dog shop. It felt very HIMYM-y to me. 

Oh!  Worth mentioning that there are new episode(s) out!  I was trying to remember the stuff mentioned here and I was drawing a blank.

I'm more interested in the college guy being strung along about marriage than the main story. Don't really care about her meeting her father. 

The joke about the stripper dying probably was the episode highlight. 

• Like 1

I think the show utilizing HIMYM elements in this current episodes might make them somewhat funnier...but it also is preventing this show from finding it's own identity and voice.

I'm also thinking maybe Sophie needs to be more of a supporting player and less the A story.  Valentina is more interesting imho

On 5/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, Night Cheese said:

I liked all of the "dad" clichés in the hot dog shop. It felt very HIMYM-y to me. 

I loooovvvved the reveal that Sophie's dad came up with an elaborate fake hot dog mafia threat just to avoid making her feel bad. That was great.

Michael Cimino is gorgeous, and the golden retriever scenes were hilarious.

I really think this show is hitting its grove. 

• Like 1
On 5/24/2023 at 4:46 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Oh!  Worth mentioning that there are new episode(s) out!  I was trying to remember the stuff mentioned here and I was drawing a blank.

I didn't know it started back up there was a lot of social media advertising for the first half of the season, but I've seen nothing since it had the break. Looks like its been back for 2 weeks now.

Ahhh....goodbye swish.  I hope they bring him back sometime. 

The bro speak thing just doesn't work. Should drop it. 

Still not sure the point of the married couple.  They seem to be completely separate from everyone else in all their plots and stories. 

I loved Swish being an adorable golden retriever. 

On 6/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Ahhh....goodbye swish.  I hope they bring him back sometime. 

The bro speak thing just doesn't work. Should drop it. 

Still not sure the point of the married couple.  They seem to be completely separate from everyone else in all their plots and stories. 

It seems like they're setting up the storyline for their eventual break-up. I feel like Sid is definitely involved with the rest of the characters and plot. He helped Sophie in the last episode with the hot dog pop-up. It's only when Hannah comes to visit they have these discussions about their long distance marriage. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I loved Swish being an adorable golden retriever. 

It seems like they're setting up the storyline for their eventual break-up. I feel like Sid is definitely involved with the rest of the characters and plot. He helped Sophie in the last episode with the hot dog pop-up. It's only when Hannah comes to visit they have these discussions about their long distance marriage. 

They're obviously setting them up to split up. I just reiterate my confusion as to why you have sid even be married in the first place if you're going to split them up so early and rarely have his wife there anyway. 

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They're obviously setting them up to split up. I just reiterate my confusion as to why you have sid even be married in the first place if you're going to split them up so early and rarely have his wife there anyway. 

I feel like they are going to have Sid be the father and his marriage was to make us think there is no way it's him.  

On 6/6/2023 at 2:25 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I really think this show is hitting its grove. 

I agree.  I've always liked it but the last two episodes I think were really funny.

• Like 2

Just like another user I had no idea there were more episodes. I thought the episode where Barney appears was the season finale so I was extremly confused when new episodes started appearing..

That being said I'm just tolerating and watching the show because I liked HIMYM so much and still watch episodes and quote the hilarious dialogues till this day.. But HIMYF doesnt really do anything for me.. I rarely laugh at any of the so called "jokes". Everyone except Sophie seems to have different personalities every episode. What I liked about HIMYM was each member had their own quirks and funny moments and these were consistent throughout the show but here its just so random. 

I think I miss the more casual setting of HIMYM where the gang would meet at the bar and talk about something that happened to them and it cuts to that actual event and then back to the present(Not sure how to describe it, maybe there's a term for it?) Maybe it needs more anecdotes like that because right now it just feels very one-note (I also get that that are trying to be different from the orignal but this is what I feel like I would enjoy)

Lastly, apart from Sophie I feel no one can really act (she's Hilary Duff obv). Ellen also has some good skill (Compared to the remaining I feel she's more versatile). Charlie and Sid are OK upto some degree. Jesse is also a bit monotonous and lastly I'm sorry but Val absolutely cannot act.. She breaks character so many times and is nearly trying to control her laughter and facial expressions in so many scenes. I first thought this was just me but its definitely visible in so many episodes.. I have seen the others laughing in the background as well(I've seen it happen in HIMYM too) and I get that everyone can't be straight faced all the time when doing a comedy series but my gosh she needs to work on that...

Well I think that's it for now. I'll continue watching the season for now.. I wonder which member of the HIMYM gang will show up in the second series finale.

Sorry for the long rant...

• Useful 1