Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: 2 Hour Grand Finale Part 1; S06.E14: 2 Hour Grand Finale Part 2

• Start Topic

I FF-ed through everything to the end because I just didn't care about the rest. Plus, I didn't know Survivor had it's 3 hour finale tonight, so I didn't have time to watch it LOL.

• Love 3

This episode was the equivalent of "this could have been an email." Two hours for two people? I know they use the first hour as recap/filler but even the second hour was way too long.

I have no idea why they paced the show this way but it has felt like such a slog this season. Between the wild cards, the way they alternate (or don't) the groups and the baseball break (not their fault but it does mess with the pacing) this was a real struggle.

I wonder how many people watching even knew who Todrick was? My mom sure didn't even when I explained it over and over. He's a niche sort of famous.

I'm glad Jewel won and I did know it was her from the start. She has a very distinctive voice. She should add La Vie on Rose to her setlist. It really suits her and she seems to have connected with it.

• Love 6

They both did amazing- I only know Todrick from his work with Drag Race, so I was impressed. And Jewel is lovely. But her costume was faceted - it was a literal jewel! 

I know it seemed like a long season, but I do kind of like that they try different things to keep it from getting stale (though some of them don't work, or could work in a slightly different way, like the Wild Cards being non-viable contestants who just want to participate and don't take a spot from a "real" contestant.) I liked the duets, and loved seeing Robin and Nicole sing. Perhaps they could film those spots after a win, for the wrap-up special so it would be "fair" but we could still see it.

This could have been an hour, but I love this show so much it didn't bother me.

I'm so glad I watch this via Hulu so I could fast forward through 90 percent of both episodes.    I feel like "the fix" was in to stifle any chance of Toddrick winning.   Clearly Jewel is the better singer and deserved the win so they couldn't let him end with one of his acrobatic performances to possibly pull an upset.

Edited by Meedis
grammar fix

My parents are both native French speakers. I knew Jewel (yeah, I figured her out early) could handle the vocals for "La Vie en Rose," but I was so impressed with her pronunciation. French is hard enough, but being able to pronounce words well enough that you sound like a native speaker is amazing. Some of the sounds are not natural to native English speakers and take a lot of time to master. I'm sure the phonetic spelling of the words was helpful, but she had to have listened to Edith Piaf's version of the song closely enough to be able to mimic the words. I hope she records it.

• Love 4
Just now, Captain Asshat said:

My parents are both native French speakers. I knew Jewel (yeah, I figured her out early) could handle the vocals for "La Vie en Rose," but I was so impressed with her pronunciation. French is hard enough, but being able to pronounce words well enough that you sound like a native speaker is amazing. Some of the sounds are not natural to native English speakers and take a lot of time to master. I'm sure the phonetic spelling of the words was helpful, but she had to have listened to Edith Piaf's version of the song closely enough to be able to mimic the words. I hope she records it.

She's released an EP with recorded versions of some of the songs she did on the show. Apparently, "La Vie en Rose" is included.

Definitely could have been one hour.  I was biding time until the actual finale.  If they wanted to do that then stick it with the Xmas epi they're doing next week.

I've never paid much attention to Jewel but I did figure it was her but the end of last week/week before last.  I'm glad she won and I don't consider it a dig against Todrick Hall that he didn't win.  They were both good.

• Love 2

Well, they usually seem to do a recap show before the real finale, so I'm not surprised the first hour (which was filmed as its own show to make it easier to repeat on GSN later I'm sure) was just a recap show. At least we got a couple of Christmas songs out of it. 

1 hour for 4 songs and 2 reveals is about normal (it's basically what the duet weeks were after all). They just had a lot of churn and recaps of the recaps which made it more of a slog. 

Jewel's win was pretty much predetermined, but she did earn it. She did fabulous performances through the series. Toddrick I don't really recognize from anywhere (not even Drag race) but he is certainly one of the most entertaining contestants the show has had; and against almost anyone else he'd probably have been the winner. 

• Love 3

Haven't finished watching.  I saw part of the recap.  I noticed this throughout the season and I believe the recap confirmed it.  It seemed like there were more wild cards in Group A.  While most of them were eliminated early, it does make it so that I believe Toderick sang more songs than Jewel.  I did not confirm this with Wiki or anything so maybe it was just my perception.  Group A overall had better singers while Group B just had Katherine/David and Jewel (don't remember if the Pointer sister was in this group) with the Duck Dynasty guy being a decent singer but not on the same level as Natasha.

I only know Toderick because his songs are used a lot in dance fitness classes and that's how I recognized the Bull's voice.  Jewel has been around a long time so I did know her.

So Nicole knew all along that the Bull was Todrick. Which means she could have hit that stupid button and had him unmasked before he got to the finals, but she didn't, so he got to go all the way to the end. I hope we've seen the last of that particular gimmick.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I watched Survivor live on Wednesday so caught up this finale yesterday.  So glad.  I fast forwarded through the first hour which I assumed was just recaps (of every single performance!) and more "clues" blah blah blah.  I fast forwarded through a lot of the second hour as well.

Happy with the Jewel win.  

On 12/16/2021 at 7:27 AM, vibeology said:

I have no idea why they paced the show this way but it has felt like such a slog this season. Between the wild cards, the way they alternate (or don't) the groups and the baseball break (not their fault but it does mess with the pacing) this was a real struggle.

I wonder how many people watching even knew who Todrick was? My mom sure didn't even when I explained it over and over. He's a niche sort of famous.

I'm glad Jewel won and I did know it was her from the start. She has a very distinctive voice. She should add La Vie on Rose to her setlist. It really suits her and she seems to have connected with it.

I feel like unfortunately, perhaps this show has run its course.  The lowpoint of this season for me was by far the ridiculous appearance of that Mama and Baby Boo.  There's a reason why I never watched their shows, and if they were going to put Z list reality show "celebrities" on this show, at least make sure they can sing.  Those two were an affront to my ears.

Add me to the people who have no idea who Todrick Hall is.  And not just in a "I have heard his name but I don't really know who he is" way.  I mean in an actual "I have never ever in my life heard of this person before".

The thing I thought was odd was that I believe both Nicole and Jenny were guessing Brian Littrell at times.  I think maybe Robin said AJ McLean.  And I think Jenny changed her guess to Adam Lambert.  I mean honestly, these three are two professional singers and a "pop culture guru".  Could they NOT tell that the Bull was obviously a black man?  Or are they just throwing out these random guesses to keep things "interesting" and trying to entice singers to appear in a future season?

Nick Carter has done this show.  I think it'd be great if Brian or AJ showed up next season.  However, both of their voices are very distinctive, it'd be easy to guess them right away.

13 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

So Nicole knew all along that the Bull was Todrick. Which means she could have hit that stupid button and had him unmasked before he got to the finals, but she didn't, so he got to go all the way to the end. I hope we've seen the last of that particular gimmick.

That gimmick was stupid.  I think that button was there just to have Jenny and Ken use it for comedy.  I'm glad Nicole didn't use it especially at the beginning.  This gives more people a chance to see Todrick perform.

• Love 2

I'm sure the whole button use was scripted. I enjoyed watching Todrick, and I'm sure the producers didn't want to have a really entertaining performer disappear too early. Unless someone actually wants to leave at a specific time, I think if the button is used, it will always be wrong.

But yeah, no more Honey Boo Boos. That was terrible.

• Love 4

I avoided this forum the entire season, because I wanted to actually try to figure out who was behind the masks without any help.  Which was humbling.  It involved me playing back performances many times to try to pick out some phrase or note that would sound familiar to me.  I figured out all of one person all season - Jewel.  There was some section of "La Vie en Rose" that did it.

Speaking of "La Vie en Rose", it was unquestionably the best performance of the season.  She nailed it.

I enjoyed this season, despite my inability to figure out who was who.  Frankly, I've enjoyed every season.  The costumes/masks are always top notch, Nick and the panel do their best to keep things light, and the show is just fun.  Everyone involved with putting the show together seem to understand it - upbeat, escapist entertainment.  Nothing controversial, no issues, no outside world.  I'm still not convinced there is actual voting to determine who gets unmasked, but I don't care.  The show's purpose is simply to be an entertaining exhibition.  As Letterman used to say about Stupid Pet Tricks, "Remember, this is not a competition, just an exhibition, please no wagering."  

I had an extremely busy, exhausting, and stressful fall.  This show was my respite.

• Love 7

This season definitely felt drawn out.  It's like America's Got Talent, except instead of "we're still doing auditions?" it's "we're still doing wild cards?"  

I said at the end of last season the biggest issue with this show is the pool of contestants and this season just further proves it.   They can't find enough people willing to do it, which is why you end up with the Honey Poo Poos and Rob Schniders or they get good contestants who are only willing to do an episode or two, which is how you end with Toni Braxton going after one show.   Even Vivica Fox should have made it farther.   This show needs to be once a year at best.   

• Love 2

The button only makes sense to use if you think one thing at first, and later realize "NOPE! It's X!" Because if you want the golden ear, you need your first guess to be right. So if you're confident all the along the way that it is, there's no benefit to using the button and knocking that person out. I think. This show has gotten so convoluted maybe I'm wrong.

• Love 1