Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Julian's Story

• Start Topic

For Julian and his wife, Irma, it was love at first sight. But in order to grow old together, Julian will have to overcome the food addiction that made him more than 800 pounds, and Irma will have to hold on no matter how difficult the journey may become.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the first US East Coast showing. 

Original air date 2021.11.10

I just wonder if the Texas authorities did anything about dumping all of that junk on the roadside, and leaving the trailer too?    That was disgusting.    The brother-in-law needed to drive to the next town, rent a big U-Haul trailer, and go back to get the stuff.    Instead, they apparently just dumped it.    Illegal dumping and abandoning the trailer would be big fines usually.    

I was really upset when he gained almost everything back, but he did reverse that.    I hope he keeps doing the program, and Irma joins him in healthy eating.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

Howdy! Good to see the posts over on the live chat. And i missed last week so this is my first week of this season. Forgive any observations that you’akl made last time. 

Eating habit: leftover thai food - pineapple fried rice, and eggplant chicken. 

Confession: I’ve put on 21 lbs during the pandemic. 

Opening introduction segment:  Well this was long and that made me think this will be a nothing happens episode. 

Where’s our favorite Dr Now office reception/assistant? Who’s this battle weary woman they’ve replaced her with?  And is she ok? Hopefully not a COVID causality. 

It’s good to see Dr. Now and hear the dulcet nasally tone of his utterings. Dr. Now has a book?!!  Looks like I’ll be getting that for Christmas. I’m just disappointed it wasn’t called “There’s No Such Thing as a Salad Free Zone”. 

That is one hell of a yo-yo! -116 +78 -87… 

I must say, I wish they included a lot more surgical footage. It’s fascinating. 

I’m looking forward to more progress for Julien. Fingers crossed. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just wonder if the Texas authorities did anything about dumping all of that junk on the roadside, and leaving the trailer too?    That was disgusting.    The brother-in-law needed to drive to the next town, rent a big U-Haul trailer, and go back to get the stuff.    Instead, they apparently just dumped it.    Illegal dumping and abandoning the trailer would be big fines usually.    

I'm going to assume they did that for the drama and someone went back and cleaned it up and called a tow truck. The participants on the show may not always be the brightest, but I wonder if TLC would also be on the hook since they were there there and filming the whole thing, and we all know they direct the "reality" of things. Don't know what the fine would be but I can't imagine renting a u-haul wouldn't be cheaper.

ok, Did a little googlin'...

"(a) A person commits an offense if the person disposes or allows or permits the disposal of litter or other solid waste at a place that is not an approved solid waste site, including a place on or within 300 feet of a public highway, on a right-of-way, on other public or private property, or into inland or coastal ..." Just kind of skimming, but given the amount of stuff they appeared to leave it looks like it's at least a Class A misdemeanor with possibly a fine up to $500 and/or 30 days in jail. (Note, I could be reading wrong and I am not a lawyer.)

7 hours ago, Scratches19 said:

Where’s our favorite Dr Now office reception/assistant? 

This seems to have been filmed pre-covid; wasn't she pregnant 2-3 seasons ago? Maybe she was on maternity leave while this filming was happening.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The brother-in-law needed to drive to the next town, rent a big U-Haul trailer, and go back to get the stuff.    

I think Julian's wife did a voice-over about there not being any trailer places nearby.  I've driven that route, and there are some big stretches of "no-man's land" out there, with nothing but small towns along the way . . . and very limited cell service for doing searches.  

Had it been me, I'd have left a note on the trailer about when it had broken down, stating that I was on my way to find a replacement trailer and that I would be back ASAP to move everything.  

I'm hoping that the production company sent a PA or someone to go find a replacement trailer AND a flatbed tow truck.  But that's not something they would show; focusing on "What are we going to do?" is more dramatic.

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

"(a) A person commits an offense if the person disposes or allows or permits the disposal of litter or other solid waste at a place that is not an approved solid waste site, including a place on or within 300 feet of a public highway, on a right-of-way, on other public or private property, or into inland or coastal ..." Just kind of skimming, but given the amount of stuff they appeared to leave it looks like it's at least a Class A misdemeanor with possibly a fine up to $500 and/or 30 days in jail. (Note, I could be reading wrong and I am not a lawyer.)

Yes, and if it's off the roadway, then it's trespassing, and dumping on private property too.   

I still was stunned that anyone thought they could get a full freezer to the second floor of the apartment house.   

I really hope Julian and Irma are doing well since this was filmed.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I still was stunned that anyone thought they could get a full freezer to the second floor of the apartment house. 

Did they have some type of generator to keep the freezer cold?  I didn't understand transporting a full load of food for the 2-3 day trip.

Also I agree that too much time was wasted watching them on the side of the road.  I would guess TLC had to clean the mess up. And maybe they salvaged a lot more than we saw.   It took him so long to qualify for the surgery that maybe there was nothing else to film.  I doubt they wanted to film them dealing with the death of his FIL.

I am glad she went back to work, glad he could drive again, and glad there was no walk in the park.   Did anyone figure out what they were eating at that restaurant?

I always hope they succeed. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Did they have some type of generator to keep the freezer cold?  I didn't understand transporting a full load of food for the 2-3 day trip.

Also I agree that too much time was wasted watching them on the side of the road.  I would guess TLC had to clean the mess up. And maybe they salvaged a lot more than we saw.   It took him so long to qualify for the surgery that maybe there was nothing else to film.  I doubt they wanted to film them dealing with the death of his FIL.

I am glad she went back to work, glad he could drive again, and glad there was no walk in the park.   Did anyone figure out what they were eating at that restaurant?

I always hope they succeed. 

I wonder if the food in the freezer was non-perishable. If it would not go bad using the freezer to store it in would be a good use of space...as long as they unloaded the freezer before moving it upstairs. I don't see why they could not get a small chest freezer to tge second floor that's how  the landlord gets the stove and fridge to the apartment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

At least these 2 weren't subjecting kids or pets to their wretched living conditions, and they seemed to be supportive of each other. And she worked! Also- amazingly- no crazy eyebrows, tattoos, piercings or neon hair colors. 

I do wonder about his tale of having been a qualified electrician who couldn't find work because of his size. He was almost 600 lbs. when he graduated from HS, so he has to have been at least that size when he started vocational training. While there is some book learning/testing in a classroom needed for licensing, most states also require extensive on-the-job experience. They go through apprentice and journeyman stages and they would be expected to do all the grunt work- crawling through basement and attic spaces running wire, on ladders, lugging heavy equipment in all kinds of weather. I can't imagine Julian having ever been able to do those things. I suspect he may have gotten a classroom-only qualification, but then he couldn't get field training due to his size (which he should have been told by the school from the beginning).

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, the-grey-lady said:

It is so weird when they argue with the scale! A scale is a neutral party! It's not out to get you!

It's not working up to its potential! It needs to buckle down and work harder!

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I tried to like this and I did watch the first half with the live chat in front of me but the episode just bored me. They were a refreshingly decent pair but just dull. I would be interested in a (shorter!) update on how they are doing now.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Supersized edition for Julian's episode is on next Thursday 7-9 on TLC. 

Oh goodie!  Maybe they'll spend more time on the roadside breakdown, because they only glossed over that.

• LOL 17

They seemed loving and supportive as a couple; liked the apartment that they moved into in Houston; showed physical affection with each other; and spoke with enthusiasm and fluctuations in their voices, even in their voice-overs...how did they ever get through the casting process? 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Julian does have a man bun though.     

That first steak dinner was humongous.    Silly me, I thought Irma was going to eat one steak, but Julian's plate had the two huge steaks, and a huge baked potato with a lot of sour cream, and shredded cheese on it, and Irma has a much smaller potato, and gives him the meat from her plate.    

I was upset that Julian and Irma both thought he weighed 750, but he was 830, which is 80 pounds heavier that they guessed.     

Poor Irma, she really thought if Julian lost weight, he would dump her for someone else.    But, she supported him anyway.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I caught up with this episode over the weekend.  I thought they had more self-awareness than your typical poundticipant, Irma was open about worrying if he will dump her if he loses weight, Julian was open about his food addiction...  hope they do well long-term, I would be interested in a follow-up.

• Love 2

Nice couple, wish them the best. Did not exactly get Irma's "he's going to get all slim and hot and leave me!" as if she couldn't get slim and hot alongside him.  It seems like she did come around and it's nice when couples realistically say they're in it together, even if only one is getting surgery.  In nearly every case the spouse has an extra 75-100 lbs to lose themselves - wouldn't you WANT to show your own progress as filming continues through the year? I'm not saying don't grab an illicit burger out of the house away from spouse undergoing surgery, but day to day living?

I'm trying to think if there's ever been a spouse who has dropped seriously notable weight.

• Love 2

Yes, Irma definitely would have benefited from some weight loss herself.   Probably doesn't see it because she is so much smaller than he is... but hopefully since he is doing most of the cooking, some of his healthier choices rub off on her.  I think she was already chubby before they met, so not sure anything will change for her regardless of how Julian does...  but you never know.

My best friend's Mom was morbidly obese most of her life, since she had kids and into her 60s.  Diets, etc. never worked.  Then in her mid-60s she found a great psychotherapist and has slimmed down incredibly.  On her 73rd birthday photo a month ago she looked like a third of the woman she was twenty years ago.   So maybe they are right that it's all in the head...

• Love 2
22 hours ago, kassa said:

I'm trying to think if there's ever been a spouse who has dropped seriously notable weight.

Doug's wife had previously had WLS, and regained (after having twins), and was losing again, on their update show both of them looked pretty good.     And Charly and Charity (mother) both lost some weight, Charly (daughter) really did well, and then both moved back where they were from, but Charly was doing very well. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
20 hours ago, kassa said:

Nice couple, wish them the best. Did not exactly get Irma's "he's going to get all slim and hot and leave me!" as if she couldn't get slim and hot alongside him. 

Didn't she follow that comment up with something like, 'but if that happens I'll be OK with it because that will mean he's lost weight and would be healthy'?  

• Love 1

They're rerunning this today on TLC.    It's so sweet that Irma (the wife) supported him through the program, even though she was afraid he'd lose weight, and then leave her.      She must have watched the Benji and David update, where David did exactly that, after (I hope I picked the correct brother) losing weight.     I think that Irma and Julian will stay together, no matter what happens.    

• Love 1