Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Ask Your Doctor

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Conrad brings a patient into the hospital who causes a high security crisis. An MMA brawl sends a well-known fighter to Chastain and all hands are on deck. Meanwhile, Bell and Raptor vie for the same position at the hospital, and Leela gets a visit from her sister.

Airdate: 11/09/2021

I'll admit that they fooled me with the twist of the twin.  Well played show, well played.   Although, now that the twist has been revealed, the twin will hopefully ride in her newly acquired van into the sunset.  

Wouldn't the hospital have had to approve the commercial being played on loop in their facility? (I'm assuming these weren't on regular TV stations and the commercial just kept popping up.)  Seems a little hypocritical to accept money for advertising (again, presuming) and then turn around and bad mouth it to your patients.  And would any drug manufacturer really invest time and money to produce a drug that only added a few weeks to one's life?  While I don't think the hospital can decide not to press charges, I do hope that they intervene and mitigate any sentence that the misdiagnosed patient may receive.  I'm assuming he's facing kidnapping charges for holding the pharmacists hostage.  

It seems at least for now that Conrad is just going to periodically pop into the hospital to advise the other doctors.  If you're doing that, might as well be on staff (which I'm sure he will be shortly). 

Thankfully, the long lost progeny was missing from this episode.  Looks like we won't be so fortunate next week. 

I thought the previews made it seem as if Voss and Bell were on the outs.  Seemed fairly lovey-dovey to me.  I did like that Voss didn't seem to know when to clap at the boxer weigh-in.  

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I'll admit that they fooled me with the twist of the twin.  Well played show, well played.   

They fooled me twice with the twist. First I thought that Leyla was now in a relationship with Austin and had split with Devon, and then I thought she was cheating on Devon. I did not expect the twin twist.

It didn't really seem like all that much has changed in the three years. Conrad doesn't work at the hospital, but is still there helping out. Even Voss and Bell being together doesn't seem that shocking. I guess Billy being Chief of Surgery will be a change, but it wasn't noticeable in this episode.

Aged Gigi is pretty cute, but I am not sure I want at home scenes with Conrad every week.

• Love 6

I like how the twin fake-out played.  It's a relief that Leefa/Devin and Bell/Voss are both good. Whew! Voss is still running the hospital so she must be doing a good enough job, at least until it becomes a plot point in a future episode.

I thought neither Bell nor AJ should be chief of surgery so I'm good with it being Billie. I wonder if she realizes how much more admin work it's going to be.

Two feel-good medical stories in the episode -- maybe they were worrying about people not liking the time jump and bailing.

I'm expecting the courting of Conrad to return to the hospital will start next week because they can't keep coming up with reasons for him to be there. It's nice that he's prioritizing Gigi though.

15 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Wouldn't the hospital have had to approve the commercial being played on loop in their facility? (I'm assuming these weren't on regular TV stations and the commercial just kept popping up.)  Seems a little hypocritical to accept money for advertising (again, presuming) and then turn around and bad mouth it to your patients.  And would any drug manufacturer really invest time and money to produce a drug that only added a few weeks to one's life? 

Up here in Canada, those TV things are produced by a company and bought by the hospital.  Presumably it's the same in the US just with commercials added. (I think the US is the only country that allows advertising directly to patients.)

I assume that the drug manufacturer developed the drug to cure that cancer and then found out that it only gave them a few more weeks. They turned it into a plus in the advertising.

• Love 4

Conrad and Gigi’s dinner date at La Petit Gigi was the cutest thing ever!

It was satisfying to see Conrad and Devon got back into their rhythms, brainstorming and diagnosing Jackson.

The success of Heart Sounds has brought back AJ The Raptor and his cockiness!

And now Billie is a badass? 🙄🥱

Still not interested in Leela, and Padma!

Am loving KitBell! 🥰

• Love 3

I thought I was stroking out watching “Leela” get out of AJ’s bed and then calmly walk up to Devon with a straight face! I liked the twin twist though, it was fun.   

But overall, the episode was just okay for me. This show has always put the drama in medical drama, but it seems like they’ve really jumped the shark with the time skip. Maybe they should’ve done it in episode two, after revealing Nic’s death in the premiere like I’d hoped, because they’ve dragged it and now I’m not entirely sure it was worth it. Everything prior to the time jump feels a bit useless.  

I do like Leela’s sister Padma though, she’s interesting and the show has been lacking in terms of an intriguing female lead. I really, really miss Mina during episodes like this; Leela is great but she could stand to have some storylines that don’t revolve around Devon and they don’t quite seem to know how to write Billie as both badass and likeable. Too bad, she’s got potential. 

And it’s nice to see Conrad with his kid, but I hope they minimize her screentime going forward. I’m not at all interested in that aspect of his life. 

Edited by babyrambo
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Thankfully, the long lost progeny was missing from this episode.  Looks like we won't be so fortunate next week. 

Yeah, Billie now head of surgery will likely be once again bantering with her son, OR will the time jump have reconciled their relationship. In any event I'm not looking forward to the "return of the progeny" as I didn't like the character pre-time jump.

• Love 3
On 11/9/2021 at 11:15 PM, Bulldog said:

Wouldn't the hospital have had to approve the commercial being played on loop in their facility? (I'm assuming these weren't on regular TV stations and the commercial just kept popping up.)  Seems a little hypocritical to accept money for advertising (again, presuming) and then turn around and bad mouth it to your patients.  And would any drug manufacturer really invest time and money to produce a drug that only added a few weeks to one's life?  While I don't think the hospital can decide not to press charges, I do hope that they intervene and mitigate any sentence that the misdiagnosed patient may receive.  I'm assuming he's facing kidnapping charges for holding the pharmacists hostage.   

I thought tit was just a regular commercial?  I thought they were watching some sports game and then it went to the drug commercial?

I’m still not sire what to think about the time jump. It’s supposedly 4 years, but to me it doesn’t seem like that at all in regards to everyone other than Gigi. 

That twin fakeout got me

On 11/9/2021 at 11:15 PM, Bulldog said:

It seems at least for now that Conrad is just going to periodically pop into the hospital to advise the other doctors.  If you're doing that, might as well be on staff (which I'm sure he will be shortly). 

I thought the previews made it seem as if Voss and Bell were on the outs.  Seemed fairly lovey-dovey to me.  I did like that Voss didn't seem to know when to clap at the boxer weigh-in.  

nah, they play regular TV, usually on an inoffensive channel like HGTV

I imagine that Conrad still has privileges at the hospital, since it sounds like he brings people there frequently.

I have to imagine that with that drug it only adds a few weeks in some patients like that patient's alleged case.

and yeah, I imagine (again!) that there will be mitigating circumstances... and he might sue the hospital for what sounds like gross misconduct (It sounds like they didn't do a PET or a biopsy to confirm after they saw necrotic lesions)

also uhhh if the guy has TB why wasn't everyone wearing a mask???

I was also like "uhhh 5k a week is oddly low for immunotherapy" - i'm in a clinical trial right now, and the drug is almost 18k a week (if you wanted to classify it like that for some reason???). However, it was cut down a 9k a week dose because they want me on prophylactic antifungals.

• Love 1

Ok, so I eventually watched it. I still don't really know how I feel or if I'll continue. Some aspects were alright, others were not. 

I was annoyed by the random ass Bell/AJ rivalry plot. It was annoying to see both men try to one-up each other, especially since we're in a time jump, they've known each other for five+ years at this point, yet they're acting like this is a new thing with them. That being said, how they resolved their issues and them bonding at the end was nice. I wish we got that from the start. 

I actually would not hate home scenes with Conrad/Gigi. If they started/ended episodes with Conrad/Gigi (which would limit Gigi to two scenes every episode and it's a warming opener and closer to episodes), I would actually be ok with that.  

Billie somehow got WORSE over the time jump. She was tolerable for me before the time jump. But she turned into outright insufferable with her attitude toward people. I wish they cast another female doctor to be the Chief of Surgery instead of Billie, who had killed a patient, lost her rights as a doctor, and then got handed her job back on a silver platter because she was friends with the CEO. And she still gets a promotion because she's friends with the CEO. 

Leela has a twin! I didn't hate those scenes, but I'm not really invested there. As for Leela/Devon, they don't seem to have progressed much in their relationship. They should have had them engaged or SOMETHING. 

So far, the time jump isn't outright terrible, but also isn't outright interesting. I don't feel positively or negatively with it, which I guess is ok. I probably still won't watch live, but I'll keep watching for now.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

And she still gets a promotion because she's friends with the CEO. 

I took it as she got the promotion because neither AJ (wanted it just as a feather in his cap not because he particularly wanted the job) nor Bell (wanted it because AJ wanted it) merited it and there is no one else in the cast for it. Billie also seemed to be enthusiastic about what she could do it in, unlike AJ and Bell.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2021 at 10:15 PM, Bulldog said:

I'll admit that they fooled me with the twist of the twin.  Well played show, well played.   Although, now that the twist has been revealed, the twin will hopefully ride in her newly acquired van into the sunset.  

Padma's going to be a recurring character, from what I read on TVLine.

• Useful 1

I though the episode was OK. But for a time jump, not much seems different except for some of the characters' appearances. Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be any new piece of tech or devices to indicate a 5 year time jump. I know we're only looking at 2024-25, so we're not talking flying cars or anything, but the writers could brainstorm some kinds of new tech.

I also do think that last plot with Bell before the plot twist is going to be explored. Otherwise, what would have been the point of delving into it in the first place? And I really am indifferent to Bell and Kit being in a relationship. They were much better as friends, IMO. But as we know, these shows don't know the first thing about making a relationship between a man and woman platonic. And more so, she's a CEO in a relationship with someone who works under her. And that could compromise her authority going forward.

On 11/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Billie somehow got WORSE over the time jump. She was tolerable for me before the time jump. But she turned into outright insufferable with her attitude toward people. I wish they cast another female doctor to be the Chief of Surgery instead of Billie, who had killed a patient, lost her rights as a doctor, and then got handed her job back on a silver platter because she was friends with the CEO. And she still gets a promotion because she's friends with the CEO. 

I despise this character, and am beyond annoyed that she is still around 4 years later and is now the freaking Chief of Surgery.   How in hell did she go from losing her license as a doctor, or her privileges at the hospital, to running surgery?  NO.  Make her go away.

• Love 3
On 11/12/2021 at 3:00 PM, statsgirl said:

I took it as she got the promotion because neither AJ (wanted it just as a feather in his cap not because he particularly wanted the job) nor Bell (wanted it because AJ wanted it) merited it and there is no one else in the cast for it. Billie also seemed to be enthusiastic about what she could do it in, unlike AJ and Bell.

I am guessing that, in addition to be the only surgeon left in the main cast, they realized that they don't have a lot use for a

neurosurgeon, given that we rarely saw Kit's surgical skills being an integral part of a storyline.