Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Bagels, Billiards and a Magic Show

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Definitely like the new opening much better.

Cannoli's face when he looked up at Gina with the banana toy in his mouth. 😄

I almost felt bad for Drew for a second.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

Terrence Terrell, Sara Rue and David Anthony Higgins were not listed in the credits for this episode, but I think it might be a case where they'll only be credited in the episodes in which they appear, except I think Terrell is probably just outright fired.

• Love 1

A step up from the first two episodes, but they were just awful exposition-filled messes that that's not saying a whole lot. 

I'd be totally fine with Drew going, but eh, I guess I can see the argument for keeping him around as a love interest for Gina since she is going to be spending all of her time at the nursing home otherwise.

• Love 1

I didn't like this episode and I'm not sure how I feel about these changes except I kind of hate them, ehh. I liked Drew and Gina living together because it meant I got to see Cannoli. I hope this doesn't mean he's gone now. I also liked Gina's boyfriend and the other guy from the dialysis group and I'm sad we kind of dropped him. And I'm not sold on any of these residents from the assisted living facility other than Linda Lavin's character. I also don't like the new credits. 

• Love 4

Glad for the reboot, but would still like to have the dialysis patients around. I don't mind the "old folks" since I am one! Good casting for that! Still, it's not the first show to go there, re: Senior Living: The Cool Kids was fun, had a good cast, lasted two seasons, but didn't really take off.

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I'd be totally fine with Drew going, but eh, I guess I can see the argument for keeping him around as a love interest for Gina since she is going to be spending all of her time at the nursing home otherwise.

Ehhh, no. I cringe whenever he's in a scene, especially when they have to hug or come in close contact with him. Annaleigh doesn't need that! They should pass out full-body hazmat suits for anyone required to touch him. Don't care for his scripted Freudian slips or double entendres, either. Just makes him even more disgusting. (Cancel culture for this one, soon please!)

Plus, they're bringing in DB Sweeney, but I guess he's gotten a little old for a romantic interest. We'll see!

Edited by Ms Lark
grammar, as always!
  • Love 4

I read on tvline that Eli and Jerry will be coming back. Happy about that. And, personally, I’m really happy to see Jim Beaver back on a show. (I’ll get a good laugh if he mutters “Idjits”.)

Edited by FrankOFoley
Memory oops.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Don't care for his scripted Freudian slips or double entendres, either.

Yeah, given the stories about him offscreen, they come off as more "huge creep" than "awkward nerd."

• Love 8

Maybe I'm in the minority but I actually prefer the new format. They've got some heavy hitters added to the cast in the likes of Jane Seymour, Jim Beaver, Ben Vereen  and Hector Elizondo. They found a good way to move Gideon into a new role, and now maybe Kether Donohue will get more screen time. 

Still not wild about the idea of Drew pining over Gina, but maybe he will come to realize it's a natural reaction for someone towards an organ donor. 

Speaking of which, the whole kidney transplant/renal failure thing was always the one part of the show that squicked me out, so I'm glad it's over. Granted, there's already opportunity for plenty more drama in a retirement home, but at least it's not that anymore.

• Love 8

I liked the new opening, even though I didn’t mind the old one. (Although the first guy singing in old one looked a lot like Adam Driver.)

I think this was a smart reboot. I trust Chuck Lorre to change course on a sitcom (See “Mom” going from 3 generations of single moms, to focusing on addiction and recovery.) 

• Love 4

i only watched the first couple of minutes.  Yeah, the opening is better. And maybe I should have given the whole epi a shot, but it looks like it's just going to be a of old fogeys complaining about stuff.  Plus, my grandmother was in a pretty crappy rehab/nursing home the last couple years of her life, and i don't ever want to set foot inside one again, even virtually.

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

i only watched the first couple of minutes.  Yeah, the opening is better. And maybe I should have given the whole epi a shot, but it looks like it's just going to be a of old fogeys complaining about stuff.  Plus, my grandmother was in a pretty crappy rehab/nursing home the last couple years of her life, and i don't ever want to set foot inside one again, even virtually.

Yeah, I hear ya. My first job in high school was as a switchboard operator in a nursing home and I never, ever want to be put into a nursing home. (Christmas was BRUTAL as residents waited for relatives who didn’t come.) However, if they can pull some of the best parts of The Cool Kids, I’ll be more likely to tune in. 

• Love 1

I don't know anything about running a nursing home. I've visited decades ago as a Girl Scout, but I kind of think Gina's 48 million is not going to be enough to sustain her desired goals for the nursing home long term. In theory the nursing home should break even between expenses and the income from the residents, but from what I've usually heard about nursing homes, they don't necessarily do so and that's part of the reason you get the sub-standard care in some places.  In googling, I came across this article which is fascinating about the finances including how they can't throw someone out who can't pay. It seems like Gina, in her big show of altruism, could end up losing her shirt. Which I know is not going to happen because it is a TV show, but this is going to bother me a bit. It isn't necessarily that 'corporate" was cutting budget for the fun of it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

I don't know anything about running a nursing home. I've visited decades ago as a Girl Scout, but I kind of think Gina's 48 million is not going to be enough to sustain her desired goals for the nursing home long term. In theory the nursing home should break even between expenses and the income from the residents, but from what I've usually heard about nursing homes, they don't necessarily do so and that's part of the reason you get the sub-standard care in some places.  In googling, I came across this article which is fascinating about the finances including how they can't throw someone out who can't pay. It seems like Gina, in her big show of altruism, could end up losing her shirt. Which I know is not going to happen because it is a TV show, but this is going to bother me a bit. It isn't necessarily that 'corporate" was cutting budget for the fun of it. 

It was also portrayed that she said "It would be nice if I could buy this nursing home" and 5 mnutes later "I've bought the nursing home."  I really hope she did more research into it as to how much nursing staff per patient is optimal, what kind of insurance and how much.  I hope she figured out how much money she was going to be taking in versus how much she is going to have to spend out in payroll, food, cleaning supplies, laundry service, insurance for both patients and employees, utilities, rent or property tax (unless she runs it as a nonprof in which case the property tax should be 0).  Has she ever managed a large amount of employees before?  It has to be more than just the former dialysis nurse and her friend that was working there before.  This should not have been a snap decision. 

• Love 2