Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Hands Across Madre Linda

Door County Cherry
  • Start Topic

Wow - Sherry is a sociopath. Her fake tears, the pretending to step down and then getting back up to "humbly" accept the applause for her efforts, every move is calculated to make the search all about her and not Natalie. . 

Sad about Gil but I think the horror of knowing he had raised a man who would attack and hurt women was to much for him to take. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, cmahorror said:

Sad about Gil but I think the horror of knowing he had raised a man who would attack and hurt women was to much for him to take. 

I know I should feel sorry for Gil and his family, but the fact that his son was a raped a girl and he and his wife basically enabled him and helped him get away scot-free (even though Gil didn’t know about the pay-off) puts a dent in my sympathy. I might have been willing to forgive them being anti-vaxxers, but not that.

Don’t me wrong, he didn’t deserve to be framed for Natalie’s murder, but still.

Interesting that Joe made the call not to let Gil out the cage, convinced that he’d go to the police when he promised he wouldn’t. While he was probably right, maybe a better blackmailing tactic would be “hey we’ll just tell everyone that you let your kids spread measles.” Unless Madre Linda has a large anti-vaccine community, in which case that wouldn’t work.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

While he was probably right, maybe a better blackmailing tactic would be “hey we’ll just tell everyone that you let your kids spread measles.” Unless Madre Linda has a large anti-vaccine community, in which case that wouldn’t work.

I don't think that would work.  It might alienate some people but there are definitely anti-vaxxers in the yoga "all natural " community which Sherry's no gluten, no dairy no sugar mommy blogging crew represents. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

While he was probably right, maybe a better blackmailing tactic would be “hey we’ll just tell everyone that you let your kids spread measles.” Unless Madre Linda has a large anti-vaccine community, in which case that wouldn’t work.

I don't think that would work.  It might alienate some people but there are definitely anti-vaxxers in the yoga "all natural " community which Sherry's no gluten, no dairy no sugar mommy blogging crew represents. 

Same. No one seemed too upset about Henry getting exposed to measles, which makes me think there are enough anti-vaxxers in town to make that a nonstarter.

Sexual assault is not "a mistake," but too many people still think like that when younger men are involved. Ugh.

I like the detectives working on Natalie's case.

It seems unlikely to me that Gil and Natalie would hook up, and I can't think anyone else would believe it.

• Love 5

Ugh as much as I despise Gil and his anti-vaxxer stance and his failure to see the harm it caused Henry I was feeling kinda bad for him there at the end.

Sherry continues to crack me up. She is just so awful especially her OTT narcissism.  But I think Shalita Grant’s portrayal keeps Sherry on this side of being not completely hateful and makes it almost farcical.  But I was so glad to hear Theo go off on her.  It was needed.  Somebody needed to say it.

I hate that Theo refuses to hear Love when she keeps telling him to not flirt with her and that she is married.  For all the issues I have with Love, she has been very good in how she interacts with Theo.  Trying to keep him firmly on the other side of line of friendship,  Calling him “brat” and being a friend to him, even if she does have ulterior motives.

Ugh. Marianne.  Noooo.  I knew it.  She’s on Joe’s radar that way. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sexual assault is not "a mistake," but too many people still think like that when younger men are involved. Ugh

I hated Gil for saying that. It’s natural for him wanting to help his son, but the fact that he raped ANOTHER girl it again makes it clear that Madre Linda’s Ned Flanders apparently couldn’t cut it when it came to teaching his son how to respect women. And his reaction to figuring out his wife paid off the girl’s family was all “poor Maggie, feeling like she had to do this alone”?! WTF?!?

It came off as “I can overlook sexual assault, but I draw the line at vaccinating children.” 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, SoWindsor said:

I’m very uncomfortable with the Theo storyline. The actor looks like a high school student.

He's not.  He's older than the actress who plays Love.  And it is supposed to make you a little uncomfortable, I think, but even the show has established him as over 18 (I think.)  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

He's not.  He's older than the actress who plays Love.  And it is supposed to make you a little uncomfortable, I think, but even the show has established him as over 18 (I think.)  

In one scene, Theo said he was 19.

Sherry really is so terrible, but she's so ridiculous she cracks me up. Her fake tears followed by joking about Natalie's husband killing her, she is just the worst. This show always manages to have at least a few garbage people for Joe (and now Love) to kill without having us feel very bad, and I think Sherry is going to have a date with the murder basement pretty soon, especially if she keep pissing off Love.

Gil was clearly a deeply flawed person, especially covering up his sons abuse of women, but I still felt a bit bad for him dying and becoming the scapegoat for Natalie's murder. It must be awful to know you raised a bad person, even if it sounds like he and his wife enabled him which presumably made everything worse. A "mistake" is denting your dads car, not committing sexual assault. 

Everything sees like its going to be smooth sailing for Joe and Love, but now it looks like Joe has a new You. Run for it Marianne!

• Love 7

I briefly felt sorry for Gil, but then I listened to him and thought “well he’s just an entitled asshole.” Doesn’t mean he should take the rap for Natalie’s death, nor should he be dead for his attitudes, but I wasn’t really sad to see him go.

Gil and that whole community strike me as people who consider themselves to be really enlightened and have their shit together, when in actuality they are incredibly un self-aware. Gil had no remorse about Henry’s measles, and even insinuated they should thank them because now Henry had natural immunity! That’s pretty bold, but after hearing about all of the stuff with his oldest son, it’s somewhat consistent with failing to own up to their own behavior and dodging accountability. So, in the scheme of things, if there were going to be more victims, just about anyone in that posse is a decent candidate.

• Love 5
On 10/17/2021 at 7:17 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Yeah...I think he's in second or third year at Stanford.

Can anyone tell me what the librarian said to Joe when he asked her how she juggles work and parenting? I couldn't make out what she said...it was sort of muffled.

Sherry is an absolutely trash human being and needs to go. I have a feeling she will be another of Joe's and Love's victims before the season ends.

I kept thinking the actress who plays Joe's boss at the library looked familiar until it dawned on me she also played Prudence in "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina". This is such a different role for her and she looks great here.

I liked Theo and hope we see more of him. I think he reminds Love of Forty.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Can anyone tell me what the librarian said to Joe when he asked her how she juggles work and parenting? I couldn't make out what she said...it was sort of muffled.

Joe - You have a kid, right? How do you balance it?

Librarian - She's with her dad these days.

12 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

Joe - You have a kid, right? How do you balance it?

Librarian - She's with her dad these days.

Thank you! I replayed it several times but couldn't quite make out what she said. It was sort of muffled...or maybe I need a hearing aid? Yikes...I'm too young for that!

• LOL 2
On 10/30/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mattipoo said:

I liked Theo and hope we see more of him. I think he reminds Love of Forty.

I really like the way Victoria portrays Love in their scenes. She wants to use him but I also get the vibe that he reminds her of Forty and she wants to take care of fun like she did Forty. Then there's the awkwardness because he keeps trying to flirt with her. Really good acting!!!

• Love 4

I thought they were all wearing those rings that tracked their locations. Wouldn't that lead his wife to her bakery?

It is weird - the parallels to the recent missing girl (and missing white woman syndrome), plus people on social media, creating hashtags and trying to find her. The husband mentioned it, too: strangers having instagram accounts about his wife. 

I'm surprised they don't all have security cameras everywhere. We don't have anything like that, because we can't afford to, but a lot of my neighbours have them. It seems like everyone posts recordings from their front porch, or back yard.

So Love didn't swing hard enough at Gil. It would've been so much easier for her and Joe to cover up his murder if Gil had died to begin with, lol.

A cabal of soulless bulemic moms. Yep, that's Sherry and her crew!

But aren't the police going to be able to tell Gil's body had been moved? Or have I been watching too many criminal investigation shows?

• Love 2
On 10/18/2021 at 8:50 AM, peachmangosteen said:

The actor looks his age to me. I was so confused at first because I was like is this not a 25 year old man? Like how is he Scott Speedman's son and why are they acting like he's a child? And then they said he was 19 and I was like oh lol.

Scott Speedman was born in 1975, and Dylan was born in 1994, so the math works out (19yrs difference) especially as a step son (his wife may have been a younger mom, and they married when he was little). 

On 11/2/2021 at 8:46 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I really like the way Victoria portrays Love in their scenes. She wants to use him but I also get the vibe that he reminds her of Forty and she wants to take care of fun like she did Forty. Then there's the awkwardness because he keeps trying to flirt with her. Really good acting!!!

I do think he reminds her of Forty, and she misses her brother.