Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Summer School: Chapter Ten

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Ah Shade, curse your sudden and inevitable betrayal.  Eclipso remains unbeatable and yet still unwilling to do more than troll everyone most of the time - if it weren't for rebuilding the diamond he wouldn't have done a thing this episode.  As they start to wind down the season they really need to explain what it is he's after aside from just being a dick. 

• Love 6

Nothing stops family squabbling like an immortal Englishman crashing through the abyss. Thanks, Shade! Maybe he can help clean up some of the mess . . . I still see that Cosmic Staff burn streak on the wall.

I liked Mike telling Buddy to watch over Shade, and Buddy getting into a defensive crouch. Like he'd actually do anything aggressive. On the bright side, Mike fiddles around with STRIPE and gets a few subtle leads to where the Thunderbolt wound up.

Hey, Beth stood up to her parents! Well, "stood up" might be too strong a phrase for that situation. "Mom? Dad? You always wanted me to make friends. Well, I did. And that's why I can't take these goggles off. If I do, something imaginary could kill me. I swear, I'm not in a cult."

Well, at least Shade seemed apologetic about lying to Team Stargirl about the need to fuse the shards. Too bad Courtney wound up dragged into the abyss. Any other anime geeks get Inu Yasha vibes about the new quest? I can never get "Shikon jewel shards" out of my head, because it was said all the damn time. Bright side: Beth's goggles give fans of James Robinson's Starman happy little Easter Eggs with the analysis of Richard "Dicky" Swift.

2 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Shoutout to Heroes for the Helix Institute's symbol.

I dunno about the symbol, but "Helix" was used way back in the days of Infinity Inc. That's more of a "Stars & Stripesy" thread thing.

ETA: Hey, Sylvester remembered that Pat was a human being after the JSA murder-stomped an innocent man. I liked the acknowledgment that Pat is the older one in that friendship.

Edited by Lantern7
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Rick needs to teach Solomon Grundy how to throw AK47's and C4 into the cell.

I hate these episodes because nothing is really happening, I hope they do some Superhero stuff soon.

Grundy could just break down the wall if he really wanted to - I doubt the Blue Valley police built their jail to withstand a superpowered zombie.

Fun fact - in the comics Civic City is a suburb of Philadelphia, and in the episode they used stock footage of Philly.  While I'm sure it's in a different state in-universe it'd be hilarious if Pat's "quick trip" involved driving over 1000 miles. 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Rick needs to teach Solomon Grundy how to throw AK47's and C4 into the cell.

I just chuckled because this show still thinks that jails are like in the 'olden times' with just bars on wall openings to let the prisoners get some fresh air.

• Love 1

I got so tired of Courtney's self-righteous b*tching to Pat that I'm glad she's off to the Shadowlands. Blaming him for 'letting' the JSA murder someone was rich but then she had the galls to blame him for what happened with Yolanda *eyeroll*  Enjoy your stay in the Shadowlands, I'm sure you and Cindy will become besties! I do wonder by what magical gadget Pat managed to keep that garage spot-clean and dust-free. I'd rather have that than Green Lantern's ring or the Cosmic Staff.

I did applaud Beth for giving her parents the cold shoulder but at the same time I would not have blamed them for hauling her to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation. 

I know Pat, Courtney and Jennie live in a fictional reality but Nurse Love was giving off almost visible vibes of Nurse Ratchett. And why were they not asking more questions about Jennie's brother, who put him there, where did he go, who paid for him staying in that fancy place? I hate it when characters are so dumb and don't ask obvious questions.

The Shade was being shady, what a surprise!

Episode's MVP was Mike. I wonder if Thunderbolt is the answer to deal with Eclipso, but I guess he's as as much use as Tom Bombadil when it comes to fight evil.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I do wonder by what magical gadget Pat managed to keep that garage spot-clean and dust-free. I'd rather have that than Green Lantern's ring or the Cosmic Staff.

I wondered about that too.  20 years and not only was it totally clean and dust free, it looked like it had a fresh coat of paint.  It was almost as if they had just filmed a flashback scene there.

I was annoyed with Courtney's self righteous b*tching too.  

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I wonder if Thunderbolt is the answer to deal with Eclipso, but I guess he's as as much use as Tom Bombadil when it comes to fight evil.

He couldn't do much against Shade.  But kudos for the Bombadil reference.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, rmontro said:

I wondered about that too.  20 years and not only was it totally clean and dust free, it looked like it had a fresh coat of paint.  It was almost as if they had just filmed a flashback scene there.

Dust in homes is composed of about 20–50% dead skin cells.[2] The rest, and in offices, and other human environments is composed of small amounts of plant pollen, human hairs, animal fur, textile fibers, paper fibers, minerals from outdoor soil, burnt meteorite particles, and many other materials which may be found in the local environment.[3]

So no plants, people, animals, and closed off from the outside means no dust. No windows or lights on mean no UV rays to degrade paint.

Did I miss hear that he hasn't seen that place in 10 years?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Did I miss hear that he hasn't seen that place in 10 years?

11 - I think the last time he was there was when the JSA was killed in the last battle fought during the Christmas flashbacks.

I'm surprised the ventilation was still working in that place - otherwise how could Jade breathe down there?  I work in an edit bay which is enclosed with glass and soundproofed.  If the ventilation isn't working it gets hot and stuffy in there very quick regardless of the temperature in the rest of the building or even outside!  How did Jade know to go there?  How did she get in?    

2 minutes ago, magicdog said:

11 - I think the last time he was there was when the JSA was killed in the last battle fought during the Christmas flashbacks.

I'm surprised the ventilation was still working in that place - otherwise how could Jade breathe down there?  I work in an edit bay which is enclosed with glass and soundproofed.  If the ventilation isn't working it gets hot and stuffy in there very quick regardless of the temperature in the rest of the building or even outside!  How did Jade know to go there?  How did she get in?    

I assume your body heat and the heat of the machines running around you are what is heating up the edit bay since that heat would have no place to exit.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

I assume your body heat and the heat of the machines running around you are what is heating up the edit bay since that heat would have no place to exit.

There is some truth in that but the ventilation is key.  The air has to come from somewhere.

• Useful 1

Should have known that The Shade was working some kind of other angle.  I still think he does want to bring Eclipso down, but he clearly still cares about himself first, and doesn't mind putting others in danger to do so.  I won't be surprised if this still all ends with him being a villain the JSA have to take down, but I'm continuing to find him to be one of the highlights this season.  Jonathan Cake is doing excellent work here.

Not surprised that there is major friction between Courtney and Pat now.  I understand her frustrations and she's still just a teenager underneath all of those powers and skills, but this is definitely something she'll need to move past soon, if they want a fighting chance.  Of course, it looks like Eclipso just sent her to the Shadowlands, so she might have to deal with that first!  I'm sure she'll bump into Dr. McNider there, but I'm wondering it's always going to be where Cindy currently is as well.

Glad to see Jenny again and I'm guess she'll continue to play a major role going forward.  I also wonder if Mike is going to find and recruit the new Thunderbolt to their cause.

Rick might be locked up, but at least he's getting some apples courtesy of his new, gigantic friend!

Beth's parents are so going to get her committed, if she keeps acting like this.

Missing Yolanda, so I hope she factors back in soon.

I do not want to be in Pat's shoes when he tells Barbara was just transpired... 

• Love 5

As usual teens are always right and old adults/parents are just interfering goobers! Courtney needed to lay off Pat and get off her high horse. What she didn’t seem to understand was that Pat was truly traumatized by what happened and the decision to kill a guy. He’s trying to keep such things from affecting the team. Yolonda was not his fault, and someone needs to tell her it was a good kill. 

Ah Shade, why are you being so …Shady! 😂 Sorry had to. But yup that was a good red herring that he was helping but not. Well I should say he was only helping to get better. I wonder about Dr Midnighter and if he lied about the Shade or told the truth. 

Another almost no action episode after a promising start. They really must have blown the budget in the first half to slow down to a trickle now. Hope the final is great.

I have a more series specific question, than an episode specific question.  When they show flashbacks of Pat in the past, when exactly is it supposed to be?  To me it looks like the 1950's with the cars and the way some of them dress, but there is no way it could be that far back.  It has been something I was wondering since the start of the show.  Is this universe like the one from the Fallout video games where it is sort of like ours but the timeline split at a certain point and thus in the Fallout games people were living in a society that mirrored post-World War II America but they also had advance technology.

I am sure the show has said it and I either forgot or just did not pick up on it.

• Love 1

I get that Courtney is upset about Pat (and Barbara) lying to her, I think they made a bad call with that, and of course Courtney is a teenager, but she really needs to get over Pat lying to her. They have MUCH bigger fish to fry and its obvious that he did it to protect her and the rest of the JSA, even if it was misguided. Hopefully getting sucked into the Upside Down will help get her some perspective. Especially if she's stuck with Cindy as a travel buddy down there. Then maybe they can even pick up Dr. McNider, who has been wondering around for...awhile anyway, these timelines are a bit confusing. Poor Pat, he looked so devastated when Courtney got sucked into the goop, this will not be a fun conversation to have with Barbara.

The Shade might be the lesser of two evils (and evil is probably too strong a word) but he is still pretty...shady. I do think he is sincere in that he wants to destroy Eclipso and even when he was talking to Barbara about his regrets regarding his backstory, but he still isn't exactly a good guy and will manipulate the heroes and even put them in danger to get what he wants. We also got some of his backstory, he is apparently a sort of immortal shade ghost basically powered by Eclipso and dark magical energy who was once a petty con artist in Victorian London before trying to swindle some evil society before being kidnapped and almost scarified by them to Eclipso, but instead got imbued with shadow powers. Including him basically bleeding shadows when hurt, which is cool and gross. Even when he's doing shady stuff, he's still one of the best things about this season, Jonathan Cake is just so damn charming. 

I would freaking die if we got Mr. Bones actually showing up on this show. Mr. Bones is a DC character and is, in fact, a talking skeleton man frequently in charge of the DEO, which appears frequently on other Arrowverse shows. Because comic books. Nice seeing Jenny again, as well as the Thunderblot, will be very interesting to see how they factor into things.

At least Grundy has his friends back in jail. I am curious as to what Rick's sentencing was like, you would think they would ask more questions about a guy being practically ravaged and thrown into a truck so hard it dented by a seventeen year old kid. We know he has super strength, but they don't.

I appreciate Beth telling her parents not to judge her new fashion choices, but I am pretty concerned that a trip to the therapists office will be coming soon. Which is actually a good idea, everyone on this show needs therapy, but not for wearing the googles. 

Nice flashback between Pat and Starman, he has been such a dick to Pat in the last few flashbacks its nice to see their friendship and that he really did care about Pat, even if he was usually bad at showing it. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I appreciate Beth telling her parents not to judge her new fashion choices, but I am pretty concerned that a trip to the therapists office will be coming soon. Which is actually a good idea, everyone on this show needs therapy, but not for wearing the googles. 

'They help me see what's real.' It's a miracle or a further sign of her parents being negligent that they let that slide.

Why not have Beth claim she's into steampunk? Or into cosplaying (Bessie Coleman comes to mind)? Of course I keep wishing for the character to get a wardrobe update so I'm biased but this would be the perfect chance to get that done! 

• Love 2
On 10/18/2021 at 5:35 AM, BK1978 said:

I have a more series specific question, than an episode specific question.  When they show flashbacks of Pat in the past, when exactly is it supposed to be?  To me it looks like the 1950's with the cars and the way some of them dress, but there is no way it could be that far back.  It has been something I was wondering since the start of the show.  Is this universe like the one from the Fallout video games where it is sort of like ours but the timeline split at a certain point and thus in the Fallout games people were living in a society that mirrored post-World War II America but they also had advance technology.

I am sure the show has said it and I either forgot or just did not pick up on it.

I'm assuming that the show is following the Riverdale model where the show is set in the present day, but with a 1950s look.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode. Nice forward movement instead of lots of moping and blaming.

Expected to get Jenny Lynn and Thunderbolt later back in time for the finale,  but nice to see them here already. Great seeing the Helix and other DC easter eggs in the mix.

My only qualms  1. I really like Joel McHale but still feel like he is wasted and miscast here. 

2. Eclipso is just not scary - looks like just some random in a cosplay suit. No close ups etc. Just feels very disconnected. Oh well maybe it's better this way for the little ones watching