Type keyword(s) to search

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Speaking of Farscape and Moya. In Star Lord's original black and white comics appearances before he was rebooted into the form seen in the MCU he was partnered with "Ship" which took the Moya concept further into where Rodenberry's Andromeda went with Rommie and Andromeda and her Captain.

Interesting. That sounds worth a look. I always thought Andromeda was a great concept, many good ideas, just the execution wasn't there.

It's funny how so many people believe that this movie treated Peter/Gamora in a mature way and gave her agency, when I actually feel they made it the opposite.

They made Gamora's relationship with the Guardians all about Peter. Drax, Mantis, Rocket, Groot - whom she practically raised - even Nebula who went through a whole growth arc with old Gamora - there's no reference whatsoever to their grief over old-Gamora's death.

Which is another thing... new-Gamora didn't forget the Guardians. She never had a memory of them in the first place. Old-Gamora died. And only Peter seems to grieve over this. Like the movie kept trying to make Peter out to be an unstable jerk who's trying to force new-Gamora to be his girlfriend, but I'm like... "shouldn't they all to various degrees have a reaction to her? Shouldn't this mess with all their heads"

The movie didn't give Gamora agency, it made her a morality lesson for Peter to grow from. Her character is still defined by him alone.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ursula said:

They made Gamora's relationship with the Guardians all about Peter. Drax, Mantis, Rocket, Groot - whom she practically raised -

I didn't get the imprimpression that Gamora practically raised Groot. Groot viewed Rocket as his dad (according to Gunn IIRC). I'd say she was more the aunt than mother.

Old-Gamora died. And only Peter seems to grieve over this.

Gamora died 5-7+ years ago for Rocket, he wasn't blipped.  For the rest of the gang, Gamora died a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell everyone else has dealt with Gamora's death.  Quill was the one that kept getting blackout drunk because he couldn't grieve and, couldn't accept that Gamora was dead. IMO, everyone else dealt with her death in a mature manner...you mourn but, you don't stop living.  Quill was the one that kept saying she forgot them or didn't remember them and, that's probably more an indictment of Quill staying in denial rather than progressing through the stages of grief.  Actually he kind of did that in this movie, depression, denial, anger and finally acceptance.  I don't remember if bargaining was in there but, it probably was.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 11
(edited)

‘Guardians’ Gang Steals ‘Book Club’ Ladies’ Purse Over Mother’s Day Weekend: Best Second Weekend Hold For MCU Post Covid – Sunday Box Office Update
By Anthony D'Alessandro    May 14, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/05/box-office-book-club-the-next-chapter-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-1235364748/ 

With Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 repping the best second weekend hold for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title post-pandemic at -49% with $60.5M, it appears that the movie is sopping up all the mom action. But sources say that’s not the case. It’s a completely different film, aimed at the fanboy demo. GOTG3‘s second weekend ease is better than the -55% second weekend holds of the two previous GOTG movies, and the threequel’s weekend 2 is just $5M off from GOTG2‘s second frame of $65.2M, and it’s roughly $1.7M off from Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness‘s second weekend of $61.7M. After a lower-than-usual MCU summer start last weekend of $118.4M, what’s clear is that the A CinemaScore is showing its mojo for the final James Gunn-directed title in the franchise.

The last time we saw a second weekend hold this strong during the pandemic for an MCU title was Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, with a -54% ease. Since then, most MCU titles have been in the deep -60% percentile, including last summer’s kickoff Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (-67%), and even the pandemic high Spider-Man: No Way Home (-68%). Gosh, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania fell -70% in weekend 2.
Sunday figures:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (Dis) 4,450 theaters, Fri $15.7M (-67%) Sat $26.3M Sun $18.5M 3-day $60.5M (-49%), Total $213.2M/Wk 2

Edited by tv echo
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I didn't get the imprimpression that Gamora practically raised Groot. Groot viewed Rocket as his dad (according to Gunn IIRC). I'd say she was more the aunt than mother.

YMMV. I got the impression that they all co-parented Groot. The opening of GOTG2 has the "we're babysitting in the middle of a battlefield" montage. Obviously, Rocket has the closest relationship but it was clearly (IMO) depicted as a group project.

9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

For the rest of the gang, Gamora died a couple of years ago. As far as I can tell everyone else has dealt with Gamora's death.  Quill was the one that kept getting blackout drunk because he couldn't grieve and, couldn't accept that Gamora was dead. IMO, everyone else dealt with her death in a mature manner...you mourn but, you don't stop living. 

I mean you've made my point. The Guardians lost part of their family (Nebula lost her sister) but you won't know by watching this movie. I don't expect the entire team to be still be wearing Black, but they literally react to her doppelganger as if she was only ever Quill's girlfriend. No matter how maturely you've mourned someone's death, you should still have some reaction to interacting with a total stranger that looks like her. It's even in the narration - the characters keep saying that Gamorra lost her memories and doesn't remember Peter... not that she died. Her death is entirely defined by Quill's reaction to it. It's not about her (Gamora as a person) but therapy for Quill to deal with his issues in general - not just losing Gamora, but also losing his mother and his grand-father. 

So like I said, it's ironic that the movie is getting praised for not defining Gamora as Quill's girlfriend... when that's literally what it's doing. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, ursula said:

So like I said, it's ironic that the movie is getting praised for not defining Gamora as Quill's girlfriend... when that's literally what it's doing. 

Peter, during the scene where he's talking to Gamora through the intercom in the suits: "Why didn't anybody say anything?!"

Nebula: "We were kind of hoping it would stop on its own."

Even Mantis says that she can't really talk to Quill about it despite their new relationship as siblings, because either Nebula or Drax suggests that, and she says she can't because no one ever listens to her. So either she had tried previously to no avail, or she never tried because she knows it won't work. Since Quill seemed to have crawled part way into a bottle for solace, he was the only one who hadn't moved on. The others, Gamora included, are just hoping it will 'stop on its own', since she yells at Quill and asks him what he's so afraid of that he's trying to force her to be someone she isn't. I'm not sure how much clearer it could have been.

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Peter, during the scene where he's talking to Gamora through the intercom in the suits: "Why didn't anybody say anything?!"

Nebula: "We were kind of hoping it would stop on its own."

Even Mantis says that she can't really talk to Quill about it despite their new relationship as siblings, because either Nebula or Drax suggests that, and she says she can't because no one ever listens to her. So either she had tried previously to no avail, or she never tried because she knows it won't work. Since Quill seemed to have crawled part way into a bottle for solace, he was the only one who hadn't moved on. The others, Gamora included, are just hoping it will 'stop on its own', since she yells at Quill and asks him what he's so afraid of that he's trying to force her to be someone she isn't. I'm not sure how much clearer it could have been.

I don’t understand how you manage to both get my point that Gamorra was defined by Peter and reduced  into a metaphor for his issues… and not get it at the same time. 

• Like 1
(edited)

'I'm grateful for my firing from Marvel': James Gunn on OneMan
JOSEPHINE GRIVEA 4 MAY 2023
https://www.oneman.gr/synentefxeis/eimai-evgnomon-gia-tin-apolisi-mou-apo-ti-marvel-o-james-gunn-sto-oneman/ 

Before saying goodbye to them forever (or at least until the cards in the deck change again), Gunn spoke exclusively about the inspiration for Vol.3, a film whose main mission is the inner search for heroes, his dismissal from Marvel, nepotism, and the uncertain future of the characters we have come to love.

Tell me a little bit about your creative process and the different steps you take when imagining a story like this.
Gunn:
For this movie I think I knew from the beginning that I wanted to do a story about Rocket. Ever since Marvel approached me about Vol.1. But I didn't know how to do it. I felt like he might look stupid, like we're going to do Bugs Bunny in the middle of the Avengers. We are talking about a talking raccoon. I love raccoons but I had no idea how this thing would work. But as I was driving home after meeting Marvel I started thinking, well, if this raccoon existed, how would it have been created?

I began to think that he was a small animal that was transformed due to experiments into something that should never have been done, because now he is completely alone, there is no one else like him on the planet. He was the saddest little creature in the world. That was the seed of the idea for Guardians of the Galaxy and, when I conceived it, everything else tied together. I always knew I was going to tell this story. I knew Rocket was the hidden protagonist of the trilogy.

A lot is being said now about superhero universes. People are now talking about fan exhaustion. What do you think about it?
Gunn:
I think it's true! The reason is that there are simply not many good movies. The spectacle and name of a never-before-seen superhero are prioritized over the narrative and characters. That is, what counts. I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy movies work because I love the characters so much and care about their stories. I didn't want to make another movie about saving the universe. We all know that the universe will not be destroyed in the end. It is never destroyed. I wanted to make a film about characters that we don't know where they will end up by the end. As with any genre, relying on the genre itself instead of using the stories to support it, it won't go well.
Is it very different to make a PG-13 movie like this and an R like The Suicide Squad?
I think it's the same thing, it's just that the tone of the story differs. We are talking about other types of stories. This is not just a film about people over 17. On the other hand, it doesn't mean it's necessary for young children, because it has some pretty intense, adult stuff inside. Many kids who saw the first Guardians back then were 7 and now they're 17. It's a big difference, they've grown up with these characters.
How do you feel about the criticism you've received for hiring your brother, Sean Gunn?
Gunn:
It's the most ridiculous thing in the world. My brother was on a TV show for 7 years [ed. Gilmore Girls] making a lot more money than I was making in those days. My brother and I have been working and making films together since I was 11. To sit down and say that he's not a guy I know inside out and that he's not the best actor I work with, would be funny. They called me nepotistic because I worked with Steve Agee. He's my friend, but he's also the funniest person I know. Chris Pratt is one of my best friends. He is one of my best men. It's important to me to work with people I know. The way I can talk to them and communicate in a completely open way is part of the creative process. Everyone who makes films will say that.
Is having to adjust to the rest of the MCU limiting?
Gunn:
I've been very lucky in that, in the sense that I haven't had to limit myself too much. Guardians of the Galaxy is autonomous in so many ways. Of course, we had the issue of Gamora, which the Russos had talked to me about and I thought it could work. Which I think happened. Besides, I never had to distort any of my stories to snap into the MCU.

Unlike the musical numbers that had opened the previous two Guardians films, Vol. 3 begins with Radiohead's Creep. What does the piece mean to you and why did you choose it here?
Gunn
: I definitely wanted to signal from the beginning that this movie would be different. It will have many of the elements that we have learned to love in The Guardians – humour, uplifting music – but it will also go to some other levels. I wanted to say that. But Creep is the story of Rocket, while also featuring the rest of the characters. It was important to start differently this time.

There has been talk of High Evolutionary as a symbolism of Hitler, as he experiments with other creatures to get them to their most perfect possible version.
Gunn:
I usually get to things from their emotional angle, rather than politics. So it's all about how isolated we are, how fragmented. At the end of the day, the film is a journey about compassion. Because for me salvation comes through it. If we lack anything in the world, it is compassion for those who think differently from us, who have other perspectives, who look or sound different, who have another language or religion. This is Rocket's journey, not only in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, but also in the Avengers movies with Thor. Rocket, to a certain extent, hadn't done a single altruistic thing in his life outside of his friends. He had never given half a fuck to save the universe. The only reason he bothers is his friends. In the first film he was interested in himself and Groot. In the second he was interested in the others, but he could not get used to it. In it, he wants to limit his compassion no more.
Have you talked to Kevin Feige about the possibility of Guardians of the Galaxy evolving without you?
Gunn:
Yes, of course. Some of the characters will not return for various reasons. There won't be this particular lineup of Guardians of the Galaxy again, unless something very dramatically changes. For others, however, there will be a future.

Edited by tv echo
On 5/15/2023 at 7:12 PM, ursula said:

Gamorra was defined by Peter and reduced  into a metaphor for his issues

I didn't see it as that. I kinda see it as part of the whole team's storyline in the film and where they eventually end the movie; the movie is about the team coming to a crossroads and everyone finding their way forward to the next act in their lives. Dealing with their past and deciding how to move forward.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't like it much. There were some good parts and the ending felt satisfying overall but I thought it dragged on a lot and was both overly grim and cheesy at times.

Like Rocket's furry friends, everything about that was just so over the top. It was obvious they would die and lo and behold, they did, since the element of surprise was completely missing I just felt like the director was yelling CRY PEOPLE ARE YOU CRYING YET in the background. Idk, had it been a bit more subtle/toned down, it would have been more effective in my opinion.

In comparison, Peter & Gamora's bittersweet ending did hit the right notes IMO, it was a lot more understated.

I also thought the bad dog bit was unfunny and they just kept repeating it over and over. Generally thought some of the jokes were really bad this time, though some did land and were funny. Just kind of a meh experience overall.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, KatWay said:

I'll be honest, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't like it much. There were some good parts and the ending felt satisfying overall but I thought it dragged on a lot and was both overly grim and cheesy at times.

Like Rocket's furry friends, everything about that was just so over the top. It was obvious they would die and lo and behold, they did, since the element of surprise was completely missing I just felt like the director was yelling CRY PEOPLE ARE YOU CRYING YET in the background. Idk, had it been a bit more subtle/toned down, it would have been more effective in my opinion.

Dude, same.  Those moments would have hit so much harder had they been more allowed to speak for themselves. 

• Like 2

I am going to miss those bunch of a-holes.

This was the best MCU movie I’ve seen in a while, though I did love Love and Thunder. Gave me all the feels in so many places. I was prepared for the animal cruelty scenes but it was still awful to watch. What really broke me was Rocket freeing those baby raccoons and reading the species tag on the cage. Yes, Rocket, you ARE a raccoon. You always were.

”New Gamora is so mean now!” “She was like that before, and yet was always the bad guy!” Never change, Nebula. 😂😂😂😂

Seconding all the praise that handled New Gamora as her own person, though I still will never forgive them for the way they killed off our Gamora. It was right that she didn’t fall for Peter again; their moment at the end did felt more like a farewell than leaving that door open IMHO.

“I don't need another speech by some impotent whack job whose mother didn't love him, rationalizing why he needs to conquer the universe!” Peter, stop, I’ve already forgiven you for your IW shit, you don’t need to go that hard! Seriously though, that but was awesome, as was the entire team showing up to give the High Evolutionary a beat down after Rocket shot him.

Don't know how I feel about Adam. But I guess the new team needs a himbo now that Drax is gone.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:34 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

I didn't see it as that. I kinda see it as part of the whole team's storyline in the film and where they eventually end the movie; the movie is about the team coming to a crossroads and everyone finding their way forward to the next act in their lives. Dealing with their past and deciding how to move forward.

This exactly. The only thing that hurt was Mantis leaving Drax. They were so good together, dammit! 😭😭😭😭

So we finally found out why Peter never bothered to visit his grandpa all these years: he was still upset after how he pushed him out of the room when his mom died. But Mantis was right: he wasn’t mad, he was just trying to protect him. It’s good that Peter finally went back to Earth to see him. If he really does wind up as a Dairy Queen manager the next time we see him, I’ll laugh my ass off.

Will admit I got a little misty at the group hugs. And the credits. Damn you, Springsteen!

• Like 7
On 5/21/2023 at 3:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Don't know how I feel about Adam. But I guess the new team needs a himbo now that Drax is gone.

A himbo, is that what Adam is in the MCU?  You might be right.  But I remember reading the old Warlock comic book by Jim Starlin back in the '70s, and what a favorite it was.  It's hard to see that character reduced to a himbo.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, rmontro said:

A himbo, is that what Adam is in the MCU?  You might be right.  But I remember reading the old Warlock comic book by Jim Starlin back in the '70s, and what a favorite it was.  It's hard to see that character reduced to a himbo.

Compared to what the MCU done to certain other characters, Adam got off easy.

• Like 1

I watched this a second time last night, and even knowing exactly what was coming and when, it still hit me hard in spots.  The Yondu appearance wasn't quite as powerful the second time around, but all the other tear-jerking times were.  I kind of wish Lylla, Floor, and Teefs had been restored to their true bodies in the afterlife, but would that have made them ordinary animals, unable to talk?

I noticed this time that Rocket called Nebula, "Nebs" -- further proof of their deep friendship.  I can't imagine anyone else calling her anything except her full name.

I will always laugh at all the different animal names they call Rocket.  He's so adamant that he's not a raccoon, too!  So, badger, squirrel, hedgehog, trash panda (my favorite), and I don't even know what else, but it always cracks me up.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I noticed this time that Rocket called Nebula, "Nebs" -- further proof of their deep friendship.  I can't imagine anyone else calling her anything except her full name.

It got me how Nebula broke down sobbing when she found out Rocket was alive. The Blue Meanie has a heart after all. 😭😭😭

On that note, it was sad how even though Nebula and Gamora have a sort of relationship, it’s not the same. This Gamora is still unaware how she was used as an excuse for Thanos to keep “perfecting” Nebula, let alone realized how much Nebula resented her for competing against her instead of sticking with her.

Damn, I miss our Gamora.  

• Like 3
(edited)

VFX studio Sarofsky released the opening scene of GotG3 (baby Rocket/adult Rocket, Radiohead's "Creep")...

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Main Title
Sarofsky   6 days ago

Edited by tv echo
On 5/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Compared to what the MCU done to certain other characters, Adam got off easy.

Good point.  At one time, I trusted the MCU to give us relatively faithful adaptations of their comics, but that time is long past.  I'm waiting to see the Fantastic Four, because that's my favorite comic book, but I'm really nervous about iit.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Good point.  At one time, I trusted the MCU to give us relatively faithful adaptations of their comics, but that time is long past.  I'm waiting to see the Fantastic Four, because that's my favorite comic book, but I'm really nervous about iit.

For me it's the X-Men, I keep thinking they can't do any worse than FOX

18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

For me it's the X-Men, I keep thinking they can't do any worse than FOX

FOX did a heckuva lot better job on the X-Men than they did with the FF.  At least there were a few decent movies in there.

• Like 2

I finally got a chance to watch it and I loved it. I think it’s my favorite of the three. It actually makes sad this wasn’t the second movie because, as much as this was a really well done wrap up, some of the characters stories feel incomplete. I really hope we see more of Mantis because I find irritating she really hasn’t been given her own story. She’s always shined but was also always wrapped up in everyone else’s plot. 

As much as I loved it, there is still apart of me that is somewhat disappointed in how Gunn handled his female characters. It’s bizarre because I did love what was onscreen and am disappointed by what I didn’t get to see. It’s probably because Gamora and Mantis's stories still feels the most incomplete to me. I really want that next chapter when I don’t feel like I need it with the male characters. I don’t really feel that way with Nebula but that is mostly because of her Endgame arc. 

On 5/24/2023 at 5:51 PM, Browncoat said:

I caught that and it made me so happy. And so sad that we don’t get to see more of their dynamic and more direct acknowledgement of how they were changed by being the only two survivors at the end of Infinity War.

Speaking of that, I really wish the Peter can’t drive joke and ended with Nebula kicking him out and taking the wheel. She spent a decent amount of time on Earth as an adult so it’s not a stretch to think she would have driven a car. 

(edited)
On 5/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, rmontro said:

In Adam's first comics appearances where he was just known as "Him" (in FF and Thor) he wasn't a himbo, exactly (though he was mostly naked), but he wasn't anywhere near what he became under Jim Starlin. He was very naive and headstrong, claiming Sif as his mate even though Thor was like "uh, she's with me". This led to Thor beating the crap out of him while everyone was all "Thor, no! He's like a child, he doesn't understand!"

So from that standpoint, this portrayal of Adam worked for me. He's essentially a brand new person, a blank slate who doesn't really get what he's supposed to be about, just going by what Ayesha told him. I imagine they'll "mature" him in later appearances and bring him more in line with the comic Adam Warlock of the 1970s and beyond.

Edited by tracyscott76
tense correction

You know the HiEv was eeeevil because he kept his lab animals in cruddy, rusted out cages rather than clean, well-maintained cages in an actual lab.

I was scratching my head when Rocket used his homemade swipey passkey on the inside of his cage. Why would the cage lock have a card slot on the inside? I suppose you could fanwank that in order for it to work you had to put it through the proper motions of swiping regardless of the side of the lock you were on.

Given the level of biotech and whatnot the HiEv had available to him (I loved Orgocorp) I wonder why he never bothered to fix his face rather than just cover it up. Some deep psychological rationale, no doubt. That, or the director just wanted a Phantom of the Opera/The Abominable Dr. Phibes scene.

Speaking of the HiEv and deep psychological rationales, the scene between him and Ayesha where he steps up onto a stool so he can be taller than her says so much about his character.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2023 at 6:32 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Given the level of biotech and whatnot the HiEv had available to him (I loved Orgocorp) I wonder why he never bothered to fix his face rather than just cover it up. Some deep psychological rationale, no doubt. That, or the director just wanted a Phantom of the Opera/The Abominable Dr. Phibes scene.

I wondered about that too. I also think he wanted the daily reminder because he was fixated on Rocket and couldn’t believe Rocket was smarter than him. 

I went into this movie terrified for Rocket because he wasn’t blipped, so he’s 5yrs older and he’s probably got the lifespan of a raccoon! While I wasn’t surprised at all by his backstory (I knew he was made in a lab and was all alone before he met Groot)

On 6/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, Dani said:

Speaking of that, I really wish the Peter can’t drive joke and ended with Nebula kicking him out and taking the wheel. She spent a decent amount of time on Earth as an adult so it’s not a stretch to think she would have driven a car. 

I was expecting that. My favorite parts of the movie though we’re seeing Nebula’s deep love for Rocket and her desire to build a great city of Nowhere for the children. I do wonder if Nowhere can support the various life forms that were rescued from HiEv- like can it support all that wild life or should they drop them off on Earth or another planet that they would thrive in. 

I am glad Peter’s grandfather is alive and well enough to spend time with him- that scene punched me right in the heart, while the post credits news paper referencing Kevin Bacon’s abduction was hilarious.

I did really enjoy this movie and thought it was a fitting end to this group of Guardians. If any of the actors wish to come back I am sure they can find a role for them in the rest of the MCU. 

• Like 3

Also- I had to come and say, all day I was thinking of Cosmo and Kraglin and their exchange “take it back, I’m not a bad dog!”

I can fully admit I probably find this extra humorous because my dog is named Cosmo too. 

• LOL 6
(edited)

From ‘Mario’ to ‘The Flash’: The Good, the Bad and the Meh of the 2023 Box Office (So Far)
By Rebecca Rubin, Brent Lang    Jun 27, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-2023-hits-misses-the-flash-super-mario-bros-1235654665/ 

THE GREAT
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Opening weekend: $118 million
Current global gross: $827 million
Verdict: All the concern about a softer-than-expected opening weekend for “Vol. 3” was for naught. The third installment in the James Gunn-directed trilogy rebounded nicely in the weeks following its debut, successfully avoiding the momentum problem that’s been plaguing other pandemic-era Marvel movies. No, it hasn’t eclipsed its predecessor, 2017’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” which is the biggest of the series with $863 million. And it’s yet another recent MCU entry that failed to hit $1 billion. But “Guardians,” which has always been quirkier than its comic book universe comrades, still hit the box office trifecta.

Edited by tv echo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Exclusive Deleted Scene (2023) Bradley Cooper, Chukwudi Iwuji
IGN  Jul 6, 2023

'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3' Deleted Scene (Exclusive)
Access Hollywood   Jul 5, 2023

EXCLUSIVE Deleted Scene from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Search for Rocket
Screen Rant Plus    Jun 30, 2023

Watched it tonight and I think it might be my favourite post-endgame movie. I liked how all of the main characters had stuff to do and no one was really forgotten. Plus the ending with Dog Days Are Over was amazing. I also thought the song worked since it was really the first "modern" song even though it is like 15 years old. A good way to show that it's change. I also liked how Creep by Radiohead was used at the beginning, especially since the band supposedly hates that song.

I also liked where all the characters sort of ended up and I would be totally interested in getting little follow up bits over the next few years. Plus I would totally watch a Disney plus series about Mantis travelling the galaxy and learning about herself. It wouldn't even need any villain in it. And I would be way more interested in that then the upcoming Echo or Ironhheart shows.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:08 AM, Spartan Girl said:

This Gamora is still unaware how she was used as an excuse for Thanos to keep “perfecting” Nebula, let alone realized how much Nebula resented her for competing against her instead of sticking with her.

Original Gamora and Nebula's good relationship was basically built during that scene between them in the cave on Ego's planet in Volume 2. And their who conversation happened kind of spontaneously. So I can see how Nebula would not want go through the effort and pain to deliberately recreate that conversation.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2023 at 8:51 PM, Browncoat said:

noticed this time that Rocket called Nebula, "Nebs" -- further proof of their deep friendship.  I can't imagine anyone else calling her anything except her full name.

I think at one point Nebula also calls Mantis, "Mant" which also sounds weird but is a nice way to show how close everyone had gotten. 

Also speaking of Mantis it seems she learned how to fight since volume 2, since she had some impressive moves in the various fight scenes. And now I want to know who taught her to fight, and would probably pay to see like a marvel one shot of Nebula or Drax teaching her fighting.

Also I heard Dog Days Are Over on the radio today and it made me really smile and kind of sad to think about Drax dancing with the kids at the end of the movie, so thanks alot James Gunn. But I do love the ending, especially how Nebula was the one to realize that those kids would need father figures and Drax would make a great one. Considering that her father was freaking Thanos it was a nice moment.

• Like 5
(edited)

While being interviewed for her new streaming series, ZS also talked about the conclusion to GotG v3...

Zoe Saldaña Hopes ‘Special Ops: Lioness’ Is a Spiritual Successor to ‘Sicario’
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   JULY 23, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/zoe-saldana-special-ops-lioness-sicario-taylor-sheridan-interview-1235541400/ 

Lastly, I thought it was really well done how Gamora 2.0 and Peter (Chris Pratt) parted ways with mutual respect, rather than some forced romance in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Did you also appreciate the fact that James Gunn did not take the obvious path?

I did. It was a bittersweet decision, obviously. I wanted to know that in the final chapter, Gamora stays on and finds a way to become a Guardian again. But this felt like the right way to end things for her, because of what she had been through. At the end of the day, any multiverse that she would’ve come from, she was still going to have the same experience with Thanos [Josh Brolin], and she was still gonna have the same guilt and the same trauma. So she finally found solace with the Ravagers, and she felt more open than she had ever been.

I think the whole thing with Peter bothered her, because even though she had no recollection of who he was, she had a sense that it must have been special. And I appreciated that takeaway because it kind of gave us the hope that if the Guardians seek help again from the Ravagers, maybe Gamora and Peter will find a way back into each other’s lives, even if it’s just as friends.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

This hasn't been the best summer for me health-wise (ironically, still better than last summer), so I missed this in the theater and was waiting for D+.

Chosen Family stories are my personal Kryptonite, but even so, I was not expecting to be hit as deeply as this did.  I teared up probably three or four times.  Baby Rocket ("Hurts!") freaking broke me.

I can't say this is my favorite of the three (I'm contrarian and prefer Volume 2 the best) but this had a much stronger finish that I would have thought was possible.

It's been a good ride.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3's James Gunn And Chris Pratt Dig Into The Details Of The Movie's Post-Credits Scene
By Corey Chichizola  August 8, 2023
https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3s-james-gunn-chris-pratt-details-post-credits-scene-star-lord 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was one of Phase Five's biggest hits so far, thanks to the franchise's stellar reputation among Marvel fans. While those moviegoers were expecting a few members of the team to die, they all surprisingly made it out alive. As for Peter Quill, he returned to Earth to reunite with his grandfather. The post-credits scene saw them talking about neighborhood drama, rather than setting up major MCU events. As you can see in the video above, Chris Pratt and James Gunn spoke about the origin of that scene with CinemaBlend during Guardians 3's press conference. As they put it:

• Pratt: It was an improvised run, wasn't it? 
  • Gunn: Yeah, I was just saying talk about something, but you're just talking about a neighbor. And he's not going to mow the lawn. The mother of that guy asked him to mow the lawn. 

Well, there you have it. It looks like the dialogue in the Guardians 3's post-credits scene wasn't written by James Gunn like the rest of the script. Instead, the mundane conversation was improvised, including the residential drama related to the mowing of lawns. And that process definitely worked, at the sequence stands out among the MCU's other credit sequences. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I'm really conflicted, since I think this had some great moments, but to me it felt really sloppy and weirdly constructed, and smushed together.

I hated the villain -- his goal just seemed stupid, since he was not qualified or evidently smart enough to actually improve anything, much less "perfect" them, his animal mashups made no sense, so they just seemed obviously sadistic and envisioned by someone bored and deeply mentally ill. Alternate Earth again just felt dumb to me because all the species/mecha mixes just looked unnecessary and not thought-out at all. I never looked at any of them and went, "Oh, of course a rabbit should have spider legs! Or a cop should have a pig head!" etc. Nothing that was done to most of those animal people remotely improved them in any way at all. It was just done for emotional effect.

And oh my God, the screaming. The villain screams through every one of his scenes. And if he isn't screaming in the beginning, he's screaming by the end. Poor Chukwudi Iwuji. I guess Gunn loves him some screamy villains, since he did the same thing to poor Lee Pace with the first one. So. Much. Screaming.

Since I am not made of stone, I was truly moved by poor Rocket's story, and by his sweet friends (the one that tore my heart out was the darling little horribly altered spider-rabbit), but at the same time, it wasn't exactly subtly written or presented. It was basically the movie grabbing us by the face and screaming "CRY, DAMMIT!" 

I was also taken out of the action when Rocket opened the carrier and tried to carry out all those adorable teeny baby raccoons, when... he should have just had his moment with the sweet baby that came to him, then picked up the carrier. I was cringing at him trying to hold all the tiny babies, and at them falling off of him, etc. I was glad he made the crew go back and save all the animals.

Probably the most successful little aspects for me were Rocket, NuGamora not staying, the enriching of Drax, Mantis, and Nebula (except where NuGamora was concerned -- more on that later).

I also loved the stuff with Kraglin and Cosmo, but I agree with those irritated by the comic name change -- at least honor Laika, the original dog that DIED -- ironic especially in THIS movie, about animal cruelty (although Laika was a cute terrier mix and not a setter or golden retriever type as seen here -- why change that?!). I also loved Will Poulter, who was wonderful, hilarious, occasionally subtle, and even had an actual character arc. (Also, for the many people here wondering "Who's Will Poulter?" "The Bear" in its second season gave him some beautiful moments. (Also, on the shallow side, little pudgy Eustace Scrubb grew up to be a beautiful man.)

The thing that will always be the most enjoyable and meaningful for me is the found family aspect, and how all these sweet disgruntled superhero losers care for each other. But for me that was sporadic here, and I admit it, I hate change, and hated seeing them all go their separate ways. I do think it was probably the bravest and richest outcome, so kudos to Gunn & co for that.

I don't know. I enjoyed it. But it didn't really come together for me, and at least for now, I don't want to rewatch it again any time soon -- the parts that moved me the most were the most unwatchable a second time (the Rocket/animal  cruelty subplots).

On 5/15/2023 at 3:36 PM, ursula said:

I mean you've made my point. The Guardians lost part of their family (Nebula lost her sister) but you won't know by watching this movie. I don't expect the entire team to be still be wearing Black, but they literally react to her doppelganger as if she was only ever Quill's girlfriend. No matter how maturely you've mourned someone's death, you should still have some reaction to interacting with a total stranger that looks like her. It's even in the narration - the characters keep saying that Gamorra lost her memories and doesn't remember Peter... not that she died. Her death is entirely defined by Quill's reaction to it. It's not about her (Gamora as a person) but therapy for Quill to deal with his issues in general - not just losing Gamora, but also losing his mother and his grand-father. 

This! You are not alone.

I agree 1000% with your critiques on how NuGamora was handled with the gang here. Like the only relationship that mattered was her relationship with Peter (sigh). I mean, her goddamn sister Nebula is right there, having to look at her dead sibling constantly, and Nebula just looks mildly irritated? Never has a quiet moment, never makes a reference and then stops herself and goes, "Oh, right, that was her, not you." etc.? 

I know people are saying "well, it's been two years" and that it's explainable because Quill was the most disconsolate, but again -- ew. Like boyfriend feelings trump all other kinds of love? I hate that so much. 

First off, I don't believe for a second that Quill was the most grief-stricken or affected. I absolutely do believe Nebula would have been quietly just as destroyed by Gamora's death after their incredibly complex lives together and rediscovery of their relationship as sisters who had once tried to kill each other, but who would now die for each other. So for Nebula to just be kind of shrugging off NuGamora here -- with never a single crossed signal, a poignant moment of her doing what Quill had been doing, and inadvertently reacting as if NuGamora were Gamora? It really bothers me.

And it bothers me that we don't get that with the entire crew either. Because yes, it would still be a thing. Two years is nothing with deep grief. Plus the fact that NuGamora had spent most of that time away from them, so the grief would be even fresher with constant contact with her.

But we never get that, because that would be complicated, and these movies are living comic books with characters one millimeter deep. Even Rocket's story here is -- at heart -- pretty simplistic.

On 5/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Since Quill seemed to have crawled part way into a bottle for solace, he was the only one who hadn't moved on. The others, Gamora included, are just hoping it will 'stop on its own', since she yells at Quill and asks him what he's so afraid of that he's trying to force her to be someone she isn't. I'm not sure how much clearer it could have been.

Boldfacing mine: But this is the problem. The movie made Gamora's loss entirely and only about PETER and Peter's feelings. Forget the incredibly moving, complex relationship she'd had with Nebula, forget their reforged relationship and love for each other, that was so deep by the end that they would have died for each other.

That's my problem with it. I wanted to see the gang have to deal with watching this exact replica of the person they loved, their family member, walking and talking around them, and worst of all, kind of being extra cruel and mean to them beyond even original Gamora levels.

But the movie made it all about Peter Quill and his manpain. I was disappointed.

I mean, I loved the moment when Nebula choked up when Rocket survived -- it was lovely (and as always, Karen Gillan is so damn good). But on the other hand, I would have killed for a similar moment (tears not required) with NuGamora. 

On 5/25/2023 at 3:08 AM, Spartan Girl said:

It got me how Nebula broke down sobbing when she found out Rocket was alive. The Blue Meanie has a heart after all. 😭😭😭

On that note, it was sad how even though Nebula and Gamora have a sort of relationship, it’s not the same. This Gamora is still unaware how she was used as an excuse for Thanos to keep “perfecting” Nebula, let alone realized how much Nebula resented her for competing against her instead of sticking with her.

Damn, I miss our Gamora.  

I do too. It also didn't help that to me, NuGamora was just written as being a bit off. I didn't feel like this was reboot Gamora from 2014-plot-levels, but rather a meaner, crueler Gamora in general.

On 6/16/2023 at 6:22 AM, tv echo said:

JAMES GUNN: Taking Over DC, Legacy of GOTG & The Future of Lex Luthor
Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum    Jun 13, 2023

Michael Rosenbaum is such a charismatic actor, and he was absolutely the best thing about "Smallville," so it was fun to see him again here as Martinex. I enjoy his show, even though I think he comes across as occasionally a bit naive (he brings back Zachary Levi constantly, for instance, despite the fact that Levi has been openly anti-trans, anti-vaxx, a Jordan Peterson apologist, etc., aghgh, although again, Levi also seems well-meaning and maybe simply not the brightest bulb on the tree).

On 8/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, starri said:

This hasn't been the best summer for me health-wise (ironically, still better than last summer), so I missed this in the theater and was waiting for D+.

Chosen Family stories are my personal Kryptonite, but even so, I was not expecting to be hit as deeply as this did.  I teared up probably three or four times.  Baby Rocket ("Hurts!") freaking broke me.

I can't say this is my favorite of the three (I'm contrarian and prefer Volume 2 the best) but this had a much stronger finish that I would have thought was possible.

It's been a good ride.

As someone with chronic illness, I definitely empathize with this -- I hope you're on the road to recovery, and are feeling better out there.

Edited by paramitch
fixed quote
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@paramitch I agree with what you’re saying that it shouldn’t have been all about Peter grieving Gamora. However, Rocket and Nebula had five years to process Gamora’s death: they knew she hadn’t been snapped and thus had no chance to bring her back, so it’s believable that they had already reached the acceptance stage of grief. I wish we had seen more from Drax, Mantis, and Groot though…I mean, the timid way Groot approached Gamora at the end (before she finally understood them) was something, but yeah Gamora was basically Groot’s mom, we needed more from him.

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe Drax’s lack of emotional grief is natural. Remember, he already lost his whole family once, so it might make sense that he would emotionally let Gamora go, just force himself to accept that she was dead to them and forge on.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

@paramitch I agree with what you’re saying that it shouldn’t have been all about Peter grieving Gamora. However, Rocket and Nebula had five years to process Gamora’s death: they knew she hadn’t been snapped and thus had no chance to bring her back, so it’s believable that they had already reached the acceptance stage of grief.

Because the Snap does mess things up time-wise, since it hasn't been two years, it's been seven, and even I forgot for a second. Nebula and Rocket being the only Guardians to survive means they had to limp along together in the wake of the deaths of the others, which means Nebula had to be the one to tell Rocket that everyone else was gone, since he only saw Groot disappear. They had to move on from it together, so they'd done most of their processing by the time everything was 'made right'.

As a related note, one of the issues with these movies is that everything is expected to snap (sorry) back into place after X amount of time. One of the few times we got a more realistic reaction was post-Civil War, post-Infinity War Tony seeing Steve again, and then we didn't like that either because clearly it should have been Tony's responsibility to thank Steve for lying to him by omission and grovel for forgiveness that he didn't reach out sooner, and never mind being stressed and exhausted and maybe traumatized. If this movie focused too much on Peter's feelings about this Gamora not being "his" Gamora and too little on how everyone else felt, it's important to remember that Gunn was hogtied by the Russos deciding to kill her off to begin with. Because Quill was the last one to see her alive before Thanos took her to Vormir through that portal, and then he got to Titan and it's Nebula who realizes first that her sister was dead. Gunn had to deal with the choices of other people, and I think he did the best he could with the situation he was left with.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

However, Rocket and Nebula had five years to process Gamora’s death: they knew she hadn’t been snapped and thus had no chance to bring her back, so it’s believable that they had already reached the acceptance stage of grief. I

Plus Rocket and Nebula they had the whole blip period to accept that Gamora was dead before the new one showed up. Which would make it way easier to accept that they were two different people. For Quill and the rest of the guardians it would have been maybe a few hours depending on how long the battles in IW and EG took.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 3

Everyone saying that Nebula and Rocket had 5 years to process Gamora's death are actually missing this very important point up there:

11 hours ago, paramitch said:

Never has a quiet moment, never makes a reference and then stops herself and goes, "Oh, right, that was her, not you." etc.? 

The five years doesn't make it better. It makes it worse. If you've mourned someone one and moved on, having that person reappear in your life will be more disorienting than for the people who - mentally - never lost her. Peter (and only Peter because of course only his romantic connection to Gamora counts 🙄) can't deal with nuGamora because in his frame of time reference, she never left. He heard she died but before he could process it, he was snapped and when he came back "she" was back. But Nebula and Rocket actually figuratively buried Gamora and now they have to deal with this new person who looks like her ... but is not. That would mess with someone in a different, but just as powerful way as it does with someone who never processed that death.

11 hours ago, paramitch said:

It also didn't help that to me, NuGamora was just written as being a bit off. I didn't feel like this was reboot Gamora from 2014-plot-levels, but rather a meaner, crueler Gamora in general.

Yep. I don't know if I mentioned this before but this was also my take back. The Ravagers thing made no sense - they might have a code but they're still a crime syndicate and 2014 Gamora was running away from that kind of dysfunctional "honorable evil" family. It's like the movie forgot that she didn't join the Guardians... she was there from the beginning, and she was part of shaping the Guardians into what they become. 

• Applause 1
32 minutes ago, ursula said:

That would mess with someone in a different, but just as powerful way as it does with someone who never processed that death.

Keep in mind though that neither Nebula nor Rocket are humans. So their backgrounds would play a huge role in how they respond to that sort of thing. Not sure about Gamora's exact background, but as we saw in this movie, Rocket came from a world of clones and other genetic experiments. So someone who looks exactly like your friend but isn't may be something he has experience with and knows how to deal with.

Peter (and only Peter because of course only his romantic connection to Gamora counts 🙄) can't deal with nuGamora because in his frame of time reference, she never left. 

Peter's reaction makes sense though since as we have seen of all the Guardians he is the one most likely to react based on emotions. I mean it's 5 years later and people still complain about him punching Thanos in IW.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

The five years doesn't make it better. It makes it worse. If you've mourned someone one and moved on, having that person reappear in your life will be more disorienting than for the people who - mentally - never lost her. Peter (and only Peter because of course only his romantic connection to Gamora counts 🙄) can't deal with nuGamora because in his frame of time reference, she never left. He heard she died but before he could process it, he was snapped and when he came back "she" was back. But Nebula and Rocket actually figuratively buried Gamora and now they have to deal with this new person who looks like her ... but is not. That would mess with someone in a different, but just as powerful way as it does with someone who never processed that death.

I don’t think it’s a problem from a character standpoint because it’s been two years since Endgame. They’ve all had that two years to process whatever feelings they are going to have about Gamora and all but Peter have dealt with it. As a fan I wish we saw some acknowledgment on screen and wish Gamora was treated more as her own character but I don’t think there is anything wrong with the other characters no longer being disoriented or grieving. 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

I don’t think it’s a problem from a character standpoint because it’s been two years since Endgame. They’ve all had that two years to process whatever feelings they are going to have about Gamora and all but Peter have dealt with it. As a fan I wish we saw some acknowledgment on screen and wish Gamora was treated more as her own character but I don’t think there is anything wrong with the other characters no longer being disoriented or grieving. 

Not to mention people grieve in different ways. Sure, the focus shouldn’t have been just on Peter, but maybe worrying about him and helping him trying to cope was their way of dealing with it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Keep in mind though that neither Nebula nor Rocket are humans. So their backgrounds would play a huge role in how they respond to that sort of thing. Not sure about Gamora's exact background, but as we saw in this movie, Rocket came from a world of clones and other genetic experiments. So someone who looks exactly like your friend but isn't may be something he has experience with and knows how to deal with.

Peter isn’t human either. And the point of the Guardians is that they’re all (except maybe Groot Jnr) trauma victims in some form of the other so this isn’t unique to these two. Most importantly, they’re still people. We’re meant, as a human audience, to find their actions relatable.

3 hours ago, ursula said:

Peter isn’t human either. And the point of the Guardians is that they’re all (except maybe Groot Jnr) trauma victims in some form of the other so this isn’t unique to these two. Most importantly, they’re still people. We’re meant, as a human audience, to find their actions relatable.

The argument can be made that Peter was the least mature of the Guardians, though. Nebula was raised by Thanos, if you can call it that. Rocket was either born in a lab or was captured out in the wild and then caged up to be experimented on. Mantis lived by Ego's side for God knows how many years, and he tolerated her because she was the only one who could make him sleep. Drax, for all his cloddishness, had a family that was mercilessly slaughtered for no reason except they were there. Even though he was abducted by Yondu and then kept instead of being delivered to his father, Peter never seemed to outwardly be troubled by his life, or that bothered by growing up in a cadre of thieves. The very first time we see him, he's singing and dancing by himself while on his way to steal something, and he's boastful about his nickname even though Korath had never heard of him. There's a reason NuGamora is like, "This guy?" to Nebula, and Nebula responds, "It was either him or a tree."

It's Peter's immaturity that wouldn't let him let go of the new Gamora, the one who wanted nothing to do with him. The one who went off to live with criminals rather than hang around, maybe or maybe not because he was driving her up every wall in sight. This is the guy who stayed away from earth on purpose, knowing his grandfather might still be alive but with the old guy having no idea of what happened to him. Growing up is hard because it hurts, because it means putting aside some things - and some people - that there's no longer room for. Even if it's only because they no longer have room for you.

• Like 2