Type keyword(s) to search

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

(edited)

'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3': Chukwudi Iwuji on Playing the High Evolutionary and a Narcissistic Sociopath
BY THERESE LACSON    PUBLISHED 7 DAYS AGO
https://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-high-evolutionary-chukwudi-iwuji-interview-sdcc/ 

Collider: Can you talk about that costume you were in in Hall H and about being this character that is, I mean, is it fair to say he's kind of a shady dude?
CHUKWUDI IWUJI: Shady doesn't touch it. He is narcissistic, sociopathic, but very charming. I couldn't have thought of a better character that uses [a] skill set better to join the MCU with. Because there's something very Shakespearean about him, there's something very emotionally dark about him, and he's a lot of fun on top of all that. The costume like you mentioned, the day I put on that costume, because he looks very different from how he is in the comics, but the costume just worked. There's something about putting it on, which I'm glad you mentioned because a big part of my performance was that costume.

Collider: And what was it like being on set with that Guardians cast, working with them, and leaning into the humor of the story?
IWUJI: It was wonderful because they were all very welcoming. Everyone was excited for the new cast members like Will [Poulter] and myself joining, and you also know you're coming into something that's proven to be brilliant. And you're like, "I want to do my part to make sure this keeps going well," because you know it's such a beloved cast. I felt nothing but warmth and support, and the fact that James chose me to do it was all the confidence I needed, because like we've said he could have had anyone and he chose me for it. So I was like, I'm not gonna let you down.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

James Gunn: Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 Will Have A "Much More Mature" Story
By David Wolinsky on July 25, 2022
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-will-have-a-much-more-mature-story/1100-6505836/ 

GameSpot got a chance to talk briefly with Gunn about the upcoming third sequel. "It's an incredibly emotional story," Gunn said. "Much more mature than the other Guardian stories in a way because, you know, we started making these movies that were 10, 11 years old when they saw the first one, and now they're 20, 21 years old. The movie has grown up with them."

A new synopsis also released by Marvel is as follows: "Peter Quill, still reeling from the loss of Gamora, must rally his team around him to defend the universe along with protecting one of their own. A mission that, if not completed successfully, could quite possibly lead to the end of the Guardians as we know them."

James Gunn Talks Writing ‘The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special’ in Just a Few Hours and the Latest on His Final ‘Guardians’ Film
BY BRIAN DAVIDS    NOVEMBER 18, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-holiday-special-1235265608/ 

So how’s post going on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3?
Great. It’s great. It’s a big movie, and it’s so different from the special because the special is so wacky and insane. The movie is so emotional, but it’s been a real joy making it. So it’s coming along great. I still have a ton of visual effect shots I’m working on, and of course, putting the score together with John Murphy, which is gigantic. So those are the things I’ve been focusing on most, lately. 

James Gunn On Guardians Holiday Special And Vol. 3 PLOT!!! - Phase Zero Interview
Phase Zero    4 days ago

Gunn's GOTG3 spoilers from above interview:

Spoiler

-- JG: "I think it's the end of the trilogy for all of the Guardians, really."

-- JG: "I think people should see the Holiday Special. You're obviously going to learn a lot about where the Guardians have been in the past few years... You're gonna see how they now inhabit Knowhere. They've got a new ship called The Bowie. They've got a, you know, um, uh, you know, a dog as part of their crew, now, who's, you know, has telekinesis, named, um, named Cosmos... You get to learn all that. And there's a couple pieces of spoiler-y lore you're gonna learn. All of those things, in a way, the Holiday Special was a Trojan Horse for me to sneak in stuff that becomes important in Volume 3, so I don't have to spend a lot of time at the beginning of that movie explaining it."

-- JG: "Volume 3 is a very, very emotional story... It tells the story about, you know, Rocket and where he came from and where he's going, and how that ties in to everybody else, and the end of this iteration of the Guardians."

Edited by tv echo

Major spoiler from Marvel Studios Legends: Drax and Mantis and The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special that could be relevant to GOTG 3 (Legends episode was released on Disney+ on Nov. 23, but then pulled one day later after fan complaints about this spoiler)...

Disney+ Removes Marvel Studios Episode Following Spoilers Complaints
By Sam Hargrave    November 24, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-episode-disney-plus-spoilers 

Disney+ just recently stirred up controversy among fans after accidentally revealing a major spoiler from The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special just two days ahead of its Friday, November 25 release.As has been tradition for the MCU's Phase 4, the lead-up to the Special Presentation was accompanied by new episodes of the Legends Disney+ series to recap the history of its two starring heroes, Drax and Mantis. 

Spoiler

Unfortunately, the final moments of the "Mantis" episode included a deleted scene from Vol. 2 that revealed Pom Klementieff's Guardian to be the secret sister of Chris Pratt's Peter Quill, indicating it will be relevant to the Holiday Special:

Drax: “Why don’t you want me to tell him?”
Mantis: (shrugs)
Drax: “He should know you are his sister.”
Mantis: “Our only connection is the source of his greatest shame. I think not.”

Although this deleted scene was released several years ago, its inclusion in the latest Marvel Studios Legends entries serves as a major spoiler. After all, Disney+ itself lists the series as offering an "exciting refresher" on the past adventures of various heroes and villains ahead of their appearances in the latest MCU projects.

As this scene never made it into Vol. 2, this relationship between Star-Lord and Mantis has never been considered canon, with most believing it to be an idea that James Gunn toyed with before ultimately leaving it in the cutting room. However, it now appears he was simply saving that reveal for a different time that may be now.

Edited by tv echo

Guardians of the Galaxy Star Talks Disney+ Holiday Special Reveal, How It Affects Vol. 3 Movie Sequel
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 25 2022, 
TVLine article link 

Early on in the Marvel special presentation, when Mantis (played by Pom Klementieff) is lobbying to seek out a very special Christmas gift for a melancholy Quill (Chris Pratt), she privately and casually mentions to Drax (Dave Bautista) her “secret” that he and only he knows —

Spoiler

that she and Peter share a father in Ego (played in Guardians Vol. 2 by Kurt Russell).
And yet at the end of The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, after delivering Footloose star Kevin Bacon (if not Ren McCormack himself) to Quill, Mantis finally disclosed to her half-brother their connection.
The Mantis-Quill connection is not entirely surprising, if at all. Fans have long speculated about their shared paternity — sparked in part by a blink-and-you-missed it image from Vol. 2, which depicted Ego’s myriad hook-ups, but also by a quickly deleted social media post by an actress who said she played “Mantis’ Mom” in a deleted scene from the first sequel.
“I’ve know this little secret for years, because I knew about it when I was shooting Guardians of the Galaxy 2,” Mantis’ portrayer, Pom Klementieff, tells TVLine. “I think it was supposed to be in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and then [franchise writer-director] James Gunn decided to hold onto it and reveal it later.”

Klementieff went on to say, “It’s nice that it’s out there now” because “it creates more layers and a special and beautiful, bond between the two characters.”

As individuals, Mantis and Quill “can feel so isolated and gloomy,” Klementieff noted

, but moving forward — Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set to hit theaters May 5, 2023. — “this creates something pretty special between the two of them.”

Edited by tv echo

Yeah... while you never know for sure, I'm definitely thinking that if anyone does officially die here, it's going to be Rocket.

Pretty cool that Chukwudi Iwuji from Peacemaker is playing the main villain here.  Heard James Gunn was a big fan of him as Murn and I'm glad he's getting more opportunities going forward.

Glad that it looks like Nebula and Mantis will be getting significant roles as the "Guardians" now.

Adam Warlock!!

Definitely looks like they are going all out with the emotions for this one (while still finding time to have things like Drax smacking a alien child with a basketball.  Classic Drax!)  Since I enjoyed the second film despite its flaws, I'm cautiously optimistic Gunn will be able to send this trilogy off on a high note.  Can't wait till May!

• Love 3

James Gunn Sets the Record Straight on Lady Gaga’s Rumored Marvel Role
By Russ Milheim    December 11, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-james-gunn-lady-gaga-lylla-role 

On Instagram, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 director James Gunn cleared the air about whether famous musician and actress Lady Gaga would be playing the role of Lylla in the upcoming threequel.

In response to a fan when asked if the otter character’s actress’ name started with a “Ga” and ended with a “Ga,” Gunn stated: “it does not.”

2023’s Most Anticipated Movies: ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Leads Fandango Survey
Anthony D'Alessandro   December 20, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/12/top-movies-2023-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-fandango-1235203078/ 

Digital movie ticket retailer Fandango has unveiled the results of its 2023 Most Anticipated Movies Survey, and what audiences want to see the most is James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
2023’s Most Anticipated Blockbusters:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse (June 2)
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17)
  4. John Wick: Chapter 4 (March 24)
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)
  6. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25)
  7. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14)
  8. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes (Nov. 17)
  9. Creed III (March 3)
  10. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7)

Most Anticipated Hero:

1. Chris Pratt as Star Lord (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
  2. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny)
  3. Keanu Reeves as John Wick (John Wick 4)
  4. Zoe Saldana as Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
  5. Paul Rudd as Ant-Man (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania)

Most Anticipated Superhero Movies

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. The Marvels (July 28)
  5. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Edited by tv echo
On 12/1/2022 at 5:26 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I have a bad feeling...I'm worried for Rocket. 😦

On 12/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, festivus said:

Y'all I teared up at that trailer. I AM NOT prepared to lose my little critter. I remember when I was just sure it'd be Steve who would die and it ended up being Tony...

I saw the trailer before Avatar yesterday and I too am worried for Rocket. He was the only guardian that didn’t get snapped, AND I’m assuming his life expectancy is that of a raccoon no? So he’s likely not much time left under the best of circumstances. The Christmas special is a part of the cannon for this, and they are really hitting all of the emotional beats. We have not seen the guardians all together since the snap (outside of the Christmas special); I would’ve liked two more full scenes of them in Thor: Love & Thunder just so we can kind of see where they are emotionally before the big events of the movie. 

• Like 1

All the movies you'll want to watch in 2023, from 'Ant-Man 3' to 'Scream VI'
Jan. 5, 2023
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/movies/2023/01/04/exclusive-look-2023-new-movies/10979963002/

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" (May 5, theaters): Drax (Dave Bautista, from left), Mantis (Pom Klementieff), Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) are on a new adventure to protect the universe in the concluding chapter to James Gunn's Marvel cosmic trilogy.

96a11c51-1294-4839-ad22-4514a646acfd-Gua 

(edited)

Adam Warlock Is ‘Definitely Not A Good Guy’ In Guardians Vol 3, Says James Gunn – Exclusive Image
By Ben Travis    January 16, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/adam-warlock-not-a-good-guy-guardians-vol-3-james-gunn-exclusive/ 

gotg-vol-3-adam-warlock-excl.png 
Get ready, then, for an incoming comic book favourite whose literal raison d’être is to take our heroes down. Or perhaps not, as Gunn teases. “It’s kind of more complicated than that,” he tells Empire. “But he’s definitely not a good guy. What we’re seeing is the infant form of Warlock, newly out of the cocoon, and he does not understand life very well. He’s basically a baby.”

As babies go, he’s a physically imposing one – arriving in the form of a beefed-up Will Poulter, the 6ft 3 Brit who, beyond popping up in Johnny Flynn indie flick The Score, was last seen on the big screen meeting a sticky end at the hands of the Hårga in Midsommar. “People online were saying, ‘Oh, Tom Cruise should be Adam Warlock,’” says Gunn, who had other ideas. “I wanted somebody who was youthful, and I wanted the person who had the dramatic chops and the comedic chops, not only for this movie but for what Marvel will use Adam Warlock for in the future.” Ah yes. Because with a character of this stature soon to be in play, you can imagine him being a handy person to have on the board in the upcoming Multiverse Saga. “He could become this really important character,” teases Gunn. All the time raising him in that cocoon looks to have been worth it.

Edited by tv echo

James Gunn Thinks His Guardians Cast Could Join Him At DC: ‘I Will Work With All Those People Individually Again’ – Exclusive
By Ben Travis    Jan 18, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/james-gunn-guardians-cast-could-join-dc/ 

Speaking to Empire in the Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania issue, Gunn describes the final stretch of Guardians Vol. 3 as “my day job” – while the early stages of planning a fresh batch of comic book movies at DC Studios is, for now, “a very healthy part-time job that’s at least another 40 to 60 hours a week”. Closing out Vol. 3 will be the end of an era for the writer-director – and while that brings bittersweetness, it seems Gunn is confident that his time working with the cast who brought Marvel’s intergalactic A-holes to life isn’t over. “This cast are like my family,” he says. “I cannot tell you how close I am to Chris Pratt and Pom [Klementieff] and Dave [Bautista] and Zoe [Saldaña] and Karen [Gillan]. But I also know I will work again with all those people individually again.” He adds, laughing: “Probably at my other job.”

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’, ‘Flash’ & ‘Fast X’ See Super Bowl Surge On Social Media
By Anthony D'Alessandro    February 15, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/02/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-the-flash-fast-x-super-bowl-trailers-views-1235261136/ 

EXCLUSIVE: For the first times since pre-pandemic times, a Super Bowl trailer broke the 100M view threshold on social media in the 24 hour period following the Big Game.

That was Disney/Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 which clocked 134.1M views across TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook as measured by social media analytics corp RelishMix in their annual survey of the most watched Super Bowl movie trailers.

In fact, the James Gunn directed threequel is the most watched Super Bowl movie trailer in post Big Game day traffic per RelishMix records. The movie kicks off the summer box office on May 5. The last movie trailer to cross 100M views was Universal’s pre-Covid launch of F9 during the 2020 Super Bowl which clocked 110.9M fueled by a Miami concert the Friday before that year’s Big Game Sunday.

RelishMix-SB2023a.png 

Edited by tv echo

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Face Off
Marvel Entertainment    Apr 5, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Once More With Feeling
Marvel Entertainment    Apr 6, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 | Final Tour
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 15, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 | Relax
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 16, 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Movie Clip - The Gist of It (2023)
Rotten Tomatoes Coming Soon   Apr 18, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | “I Miss You” Clip
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 18, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | One Last Ride
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 19, 2023

Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | All The Feels
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 20, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Hooked
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 21, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Push Down On It

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Pump It Up

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Biggest Event of the Summer
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 22, 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Gets Positive First Reactions
BY MACA REYNOLDS   APRIL 22, 2023
https://movieweb.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-good-reviews/ 

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Reviews: Critics Share Strong Reactions to Sequel
By Russ Milheim   April 22, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-reviews-critics-reactions 

First 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3' Reactions Call It a Perfect End to Trilogy, Best Marvel Movie Since 'Endgame'
Erick Massoto   April 23, 2023
https://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-reactions-is-it-good/ 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 First Reactions Are In
By Kirsten Howard   April 23, 2023
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-first-reactions/ 

On 4/4/2023 at 1:28 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I think I'm going to wait and be spoiled because I'm worried for Rocket

Me too. I'm not a huge fan of the GOTG part of the franchise but I don't think I could handle Rocket's death without being prepared first. Groot's sacrifice in the first movie was bad enough.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

Me too. I'm not a huge fan of the GOTG part of the franchise but I don't think I could handle Rocket's death without being prepared first. Groot's sacrifice in the first movie was bad enough.

Thirded. Too many of my favorite characters have been killed off or ruined in the MCU. I don’t want Rocket to join them.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, Dani said:

To me giving her Gamora’s soul/memories would be worse than them getting them back together. I don’t want the Gamoras to be treated as interchangeable and I don’t want 2014 Gamora to be a vessel to bring back the one in the soul stone.

Especially if Nebula is going to play a prominent role in this installment. Nebula finally got the one thing she wanted in the last movie - a hug from her sister and something that could have turned into a reconciliation and new relationship, without Thanos hanging over them like a threat. I don't (didn't? I don't know) mind Peter and Gamora as a couple, but I would much rather see if there's an attempt at a familial bond there than a romantic relationship. I don't mind Quill as a character when he's not being a jerk, either, but I want to see where Nebula goes from where we last saw her.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Especially if Nebula is going to play a prominent role in this installment. Nebula finally got the one thing she wanted in the last movie - a hug from her sister and something that could have turned into a reconciliation and new relationship, without Thanos hanging over them like a threat. I don't (didn't? I don't know) mind Peter and Gamora as a couple, but I would much rather see if there's an attempt at a familial bond there than a romantic relationship.

Yeah, we already had one variant of a female character be turned into a replacement goldfish trophy to give the hero a rushed happy ending—hi, Endgame Steve—let’s not have a repeat of that.

• Applause 1
(edited)

This flashback breaks my heart...

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | Good to Have Friends
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 25, 2023

Edited by tv echo
  • Sad 3
(edited)

From world premiere last night (April 27)...

Red Carpet Highlights! | Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - YouTube
Marvel Entertainment  Apr 28, 2023

Kevin Feige On Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 As An Epic Finale
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 28, 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Director James Gunn On The End of the Trilogy

Chris Pratt On Star-Lord's Journey In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

ETA: You can watch other cast interviews on Marvel's YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@marvel/videos

Edited by tv echo

My son texted me saying that he's been reading that this one is somewhat disturbing, according to some early reviews.  I googled it and read a couple of paragraphs of one review that mentioned it. They said that the trailers make it look much lighter than it is.  I didn't read further because I didn't want to be spoiled, but based on one part of one of the trailers, I think it does involve Rocket.  I don't know if he dies in this movie, but I either way, I think there will be some tough scenes involving him. 

Introducing The High Evolutionary Live from the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Red Carpet

Linda Cardellini Is Lylla The Otter In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Sean Gunn On Kraglin's Transformation In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

(edited)

Major spoilers (if true)...

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 credits scenes leak: Here are all the surprises
By Chris Smith    May 1st, 2023
https://bgr.com/entertainment/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-credits-scenes-leak-here-are-all-the-surprises/ 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 has two credits scenes. We knew that much even before Marvel’s red carpet premiere and the fan screenings that followed. James Gunn confirmed the number of scenes without spoiling what happens in them. But now that regular Marvel fans saw the movie a full week before its theatrical release, we know exactly what happens in those credits scenes.

Spoiler

Now that Guardians Vol. 3 is out, I’ll tell you that a massive surprise awaits fans. Absolutely nobody will die, although there will be a few close encounters with death for various characters. That’s an important detail in order to fully understand the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 credits scenes.

What James Gunn and Marvel did with the current Guardians team was essentially disband it. Most characters reached the end of their stories. But others will continue to appear in future adventures.
The Guardians will continue to exist, but the new team might not have the same name. A Guardians Vol. 3 plot leak said they’d be called the Annihilators, though Marvel is yet to introduce the name.

However, the first Guardians Vol. 3 credits scene does give us the new team roster. Rocket is the leader, and Groot (Vin Diesel) is the only other original Guardian in the new crew. The other members are Kraglin (Sean Gunn), Adam Warlock (Will Poulter), Phyla-Vell (Kai Zen), and Blurp.
The former Guardians will go their separate ways. Gamora stays with the Ravagers. Nebula (Karen Gillan) will become the new leader of Knowhere. Mantis (Pom Klementieff) goes on an adventure to discover what she wants from life.
As for Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), he’ll apparently retire the same way Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) did. He will go to Earth to reunite with his grandfather.

This brings us to the second credits scene, which shows Peter and his grandfather talking about mowing the lawn. That sounds like the kind of break Star-Lord might have needed after what he has been through since Endgame. At the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Quill is apparently an alcoholic on Knowhere, still missing Gamora.
The film’s final card says, “The Legendary Star-Lord will return.” It makes no mention of the other Guardians team members. But this is the kind of hook that will tie Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 to the rest of the Multiverse Saga.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1