Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Gossip, Girl!

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, RealReality said:

Gizelle starting a lash line is almost as stupid as Wendy starting a candle line. 

Agreed. Not only is it random, but she's years late. I could understand if Gizelle was known for her lashes. If she had preternaturally gorgeous lashes that didn't need mascara, then OK, but lashes are a dime a dozen nowadays. What'll make her brand stand out? 

Besides Gizelle's shitty attitude, personality, and her lack of style, this is another thing that annoys me with her. Both her and Robyn, really. The waste of pedigree. At least Robyn is doing well with Embellished, but Gizelle is just...there. 

• Love 5
On 8/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, retired watcher said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm always looking for good snark videos or podcasts.

Alexander Rogers is a hoot. His Bridgerton recaps are hysterical.

Wendy never really belonged on this show, but Wendy 2.0 (aka Zen Wen) really needs to be shown the door. I really hope this is her last season.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

Agreed. Not only is it random, but she's years late. I could understand if Gizelle was known for her lashes. If she had preternaturally gorgeous lashes that didn't need mascara, then OK, but lashes are a dime a dozen nowadays. What'll make her brand stand out? 

Besides Gizelle's shitty attitude, personality, and her lack of style, this is another thing that annoys me with her. Both her and Robyn, really. The waste of pedigree. At least Robyn is doing well with Embellished, but Gizelle is just...there. 

Exactly.  Gizelle is known for being a pretty girl, but that's mostly on genetics, not lashes.  

EveryHue (AnyHue?) was a poorly thought out idea too. There are a cadre of drugstore makeup brands mid range and high end makeup brands that specialize in shade matching in multiple formulations.  

Her business would have been ground breaking like a decade ago just like her wardrobe.  

But we've moved beyond Fashion Faire (though NGL, their earth red lipstick was EVERYTHING).

The field was saturated.   Off the top of my head, cover girl has the queen collection, I think Maybelline also expanded shades. 

Black Up. IT cosmetics.  Fenty. And a host of brands like clinique, Dior, and NARS have expanded shade ranges in multiple formulations.  

Gizelle partnering with target was a bad move because it sounds like they didn't do very much to promote it.  I sure as hell never saw it in my target and it was probably on clearance in record time. 

If gizelle had been smart she would have taken a page from karens book and found a small makeup brand in its growth phase and become the face of the brand or developed a line of foundation for black women in conjunction with them.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

What are Jack & Jill Moms?

Jack & Jill is an organization for black children.  Each mother has to plan an event--they have different events for the kids. You can't just join---you have to be invited to join, so it skews to the middle/upper middle class black demographic.  I was never in the organization but I grew up with kids who were; their moms were the lawyers, doctors, teachers, professionals and those kids now have their kids in the organization.

Robyn, Gizelle, Karen & Charrisse are Jack & Jill Moms ---their children are in the organization.

8 hours ago, RealReality said:

But we've moved beyond Fashion Faire (though NGL, their earth red lipstick was EVERYTHING).

Fashion Fair is coming back next month to Sephora stores.

Gizelle partnering with target was a bad move because it sounds like they didn't do very much to promote it.  I sure as hell never saw it in my target and it was probably on clearance in record time. 

I saw EveryHue at College Target & surprisingly at White Target (the Target by my house) but they didn't sell it at Black Target, which was odd to me.

Putting it in Target gave the brand a downscale feel.  She should've tried to get it in Sephora or at least Ulta instead of Target.  A lot of makeup junkies don't want anything you can get from Target/Walmart/Drugstore and they're willing to pay $50+ for a good foundation, $200 for an eyeshadow palette.

If gizelle had been smart she would have taken a page from karens book and found a small makeup brand in its growth phase and become the face of the brand or developed a line of foundation for black women in conjunction with them.  

She should've tried to become a brand ambassador for an already existing makeup brand.

Gizelle was an event planner before she married and before the show.  What Gizelle should do is start an event planning company (with or without Robyn). DC area would have a lot of events. Although 2020 was a bust as far as events go, all the events that were cancelled for 2020 will be coming back in 2021, 2022.  Do that and she might even meet a nice gentleman as she's coordinating an event.  The beauty market is saturated IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

Why??? The other brands that were named have a pretty strong hold. Though, I have to admit, the nostalgia factor may drive me to at least go see it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nb360 said:

Why??? The other brands that were named have a pretty strong hold. Though, I have to admit, the nostalgia factor may drive me to at least go see it.

It will 100% draw me back.  

Thank you @drivethroofor giving me the 411.  I can't wait to buy some never working vantax cream.  

Real talk though, if they bring back earth red lipstick I'll buy it just because it's a total classic. 

I hope they update their foundation.  

3 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Jack & Jill is an organization for black children.  Each mother has to plan an event--they have different events for the kids. You can't just join---you have to be invited to join, so it skews to the middle/upper middle class black demographic.  I was never in the organization but I grew up with kids who were; their moms were the lawyers, doctors, teachers, professionals and those kids now have their kids in the organization.

Robyn, Gizelle, Karen & Charrisse are Jack & Jill Moms ---their children are in the organization.

I saw EveryHue at College Target & surprisingly at White Target (the Target by my house) but they didn't sell it at Black Target, which was odd to me.

Putting it in Target gave the brand a downscale feel.  She should've tried to get it in Sephora or at least Ulta instead of Target.  A lot of makeup junkies don't want anything you can get from Target/Walmart/Drugstore and they're willing to pay $50+ for a good foundation, $200 for an eyeshadow palette.

She should've tried to become a brand ambassador for an already existing makeup brand.

Gizelle was an event planner before she married and before the show.  What Gizelle should do is start an event planning company (with or without Robyn). DC area would have a lot of events. Although 2020 was a bust as far as events go, all the events that were cancelled for 2020 will be coming back in 2021, 2022.  Do that and she might even meet a nice gentleman as she's coordinating an event.  The beauty market is saturated IMO.

You're right.  Everyone is talking about Wendy, but I wonder how much research gizelle ever did because the foundation market feels extremely saturated at all price points.  

ITA that she would have been a great brand ambassador and if she really believed in the brand she could have sold her endorsement for equity.  Like Beyonce! 

LOL.  Gizelle probably meets lots of nice gentlemen but wants a Jamal.  She was dating that one guy who was extremely corny but was over the moon for her. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, nb360 said:

Why not? There are lots of makeup brands for lighter complected women, why not extend the same range of options to darker complected women? Most black women over 35 know Fashion Fair has always been geared towards black women, not just jumping on a new bandwagon.

10 hours ago, RealReality said:

Thank you @drivethroofor giving me the 411.  I can't wait to buy some never working vantax cream.  

You're welcome.  I believe the release date is September 9.

You're right.  Everyone is talking about Wendy, but I wonder how much research gizelle ever did because the foundation market feels extremely saturated at all price points. 

Her team should've seen that Rihanna's brand was coming out that same year.

LOL.  Gizelle probably meets lots of nice gentlemen but wants a Jamal.  She was dating that one guy who was extremely corny but was over the moon for her. 

On one of their recent podcasts, GEB had a psychic reader on there and he told them both that both of them had masculine energy...not that it's a problem, but something to be mindful of.   No one is surprised about Robyn having masculine energy but I started thinking about Gizelle.  I think if this theory is correct, she probably gravitates to the Jamals, Shermans & street type guys because they appear more masculine than she.  That nice guy** she dated on that one episode wasn't "masculine" enough for her. The concept of energy has always been fascinating to me.

Robyn's masculine vibe is probably why we don't and will never see "sparks" between her and Juan because it's two homeboys kickin' it.  I would bet anything Juan's other girlfriends and the woman he said was the love of his life (who dumped him when he had no money) were much more feminine than Robyn.

Someone on the Lipstick Alley blog went onto Wendy's husband's IG account and saw he was following at least 300 IG models, most of whom had the big bust, big booty Mia-like aesthetic Wendy seems to now be emulating.  He was following a little over 600 people as of early yesterday afternoon.  Either he or Wendy found out people were observing who he was following and they went on a scrubbing spree because as of now he's only following a little under 500.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 8/23/2021 at 1:38 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

True story, I had a contractor that was a double for Mr. Meloni, I drooled when he came over to assess the work that I wanted done, her did all new floors in my house, all three levels...I told my husband that I might have to sleep with the contractor and he agreed if I could get a discount on the work, lol. 

After everything was done I called him again to renovate my master bath, I have no shame and no more money, lol.

Agree if 2005 Chris Meloni.  He used to go to the gym I used to go to in NYC.

• Love 2
On 8/24/2021 at 9:34 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

I love listening to Alexander Rodgers, he is always spot on about all the girls.

Unfortunately I listened to this on my ride to work this morning….he is a straight up fool, he cracks me up when he pronounces Beaky’s name.

Glad someone mentioned this. He is hysterical. Rrrrooobbb. Someone upthread mentioned Robyn’s masculine energy, and this is clearly what he is alluding to. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
On 8/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, Rahul said:

Alexander Rogers is a hoot. His Bridgerton recaps are hysterical.

Wendy never really belonged on this show, but Wendy 2.0 (aka Zen Wen) really needs to be shown the door. I really hope this is her last season.

She really does. I can’t stand her. She’s coming off as desperate and mean spirited. And I can’t help but wonder why she didn’t tweak her mug when she tweaked everything else. 

F22DF225-B63D-4278-BFD8-045B72293575.jpeg

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

Glad someone mentioned this. He is hysterical. Rrrrooobbb. Someone upthread mentioned Robyn’s masculine energy, and this is clearly what he is alluding to. 

I love him. He is not afraid to go there.

The G and K friendenemyship is what keeps this show going.

Also, G has beautiful eyes.

I watched this episode this morning. The problem that Wendy has in "reading" Gizelle (or Ashley or Robyn, for that matter) is the same problem that Monique had - there's really nothing new there. It's satisfying for those who don't like those three but it's not damaging to them because the whole world already knows about the problems in their relationships. 

That's why, IMO, Wendy did not actually "win" this fight - because all she really did that is "new" is confirm that she has some pretty deep insecurities about herself and her relationship with her husband. 

She actually could have learned something from Ashley's calm reaction when Candiace and Gizelle brought the texts that Candiace received to Ashley last season. And that's why I found Candiace's reaction a little hypocritical. I get why she hates the blogs (completely understandable given how they sided with Monique last season) but in substance, bringing the texts up on camera and bringing blog posts up on camera are the same thing - you're spreading rumors on camera.  

Wendy should have assumed those blog posts were going to be brought up and prepared to breezily shoot them down. Instead she went ballistic, which does little to convince people that there is no truth in them. I am not saying she has no right to be angry that they were brought up but save the rant for something off camera, and laugh it off on camera

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 4
On 8/23/2021 at 12:54 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Gah, I forgot about the Idris comparison....I could say Mr. Yogisbooboo looks like my dream man Christopher 'HOT DAMN!' Meloni, but one look at him and you'd laugh me right out of Philly.

Another observation, when did Juan call Beaky unattractive?  I know he said her laziness was a turn off but I never heard the unattractive comment.

My SO and I have a thing, whenever an image of an especially attractive snack pops up on the screen, I'll get asked "Do I look like that?" to which my response is "Absolutely, both of you have a chest and two arms..."😀

• LOL 3
On 8/23/2021 at 10:20 PM, amarante said:

My friend had her eyes done about ten years ago and a face lift a few years ago.

She interviewed a lot of plastic surgeons in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills because she didn't want to look as though she had plastic surgery - she just wanted to look "refreshed" as the euphemism goes.

The plastic surgeon she ultimately chose said there was a difference in LA aesthetics and NY aesthetics to some extent because in LA (and I guess Atlanta) the look is to look very plasticized so that it is obvious. Of course there are people who have excellent subtle work like Jennifer Anniston or older women like Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren. Most of the women on RHONY (for example) have very good work done - I think all of them have had surgery as well as fillers etc. but they don't look freakish at all unlike Orange County housewives. 

A plastic surgeon I saw for Botox years ago told me the same thing. He said there is a status thing in certain circles about looking “done” particularly when it comes to the lips. I told him I didn’t want filler in my top lip because I didn’t want it to look unnatural. He said a lot of women like the larger top lip even though it looks fake. It’s kind of like carrying a designer purse. 

• Useful 2