Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Honest Trailers notes L&T’s (relative) lack of success, decides to remind us of the first live-action Thor.

I remember this team up.  I totally geeked out when Thor showed up in Robin Hood Men in Tights 😆🤣

I remember that TV movie too. TV Thor vs Hulk is still.fun to see.

Though I remember the one with Daredevil more. That was my introduction to the character and I was disappointed they never did a DD show until decades later.

I just saw this movie in a theater, I liked it but I didn't love it. There were certain parts I did absolutely love such as a fight in the shadow world, the kids getting Thor powers and fighting and the quieter scenes. I do agree that the beginning was clunky but I really enjoy the second half of the movie. I was never a big fan of Jane and Thor as a couple and to be honest I think he has better chemistry with Valkyrie. Natalie Portman did a great job as a mighty Thor and I'm happy she got to go out on her terms, I would've done the exact same thing. Great to see sit again and see Matt Damon reenact Ragnarok was quite funny. I agree with everyone else wish we had more Valkyrie.

• Love 4
(edited)

Chris Hemsworth Breaks Down His Career, from 'Thor' to 'Spiderhead' | Vanity Fair
Vanity Fair   Jun 14, 2022

Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder | Song
Marvel Entertainment    Jul 21, 2022

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Saw it this weekend. I'm in the camp that it veered too much into the silliness. I don't really like my Thor portrayed as a doofus. Though I did like him getting his Van Damme on against the biker chicks. Like most everyone else I loved Bale.

Aside from the Deadpool movies, this seems to have been the most potty-mouthed Marvel movie I've seen (glad Rodgers wasn't around for it 🤭).

Wasn't too thrilled that Waititi basically turned Eternity into Prismo.

ETA: I also got a kick out of the mashup between Méliès' A Trip to the Moon and The Little Prince in the Shadow Realm.

Edited by Terrafamilia

Thor 4 Director Teases Marvel’s Future Hercules Plans
By Russ Milheim   August 5, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-hercules-marvel-plans 

During a Q&A as part of a screening for Thor: Love and Thunder, director Taika Waititi commented on the inclusion of Brett Goldstein as Hercules and how he doesn’t have any knowledge of that sphere of the Marvel world.
“And then [Louis D’Esposito?] is like, we’re gonna introduce Hercules, and um, that made no sense to me, I didn’t even know that was a character in Marvel, but um, apparently it is, and um... It was good, I know it’s opening up a whole new thing, uh, which I won’t be invited to come and be a part of, but I’m happy for everyone who loves Greek Gods.”

(edited)
Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder | The Secret Behind Thor's Lightning
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 6, 2022

‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ Co-Writer Jennifer Kaytin Robinson Talks Cracking the Ending and the Key Scene Found in Additional Photography
BY AARON COUCH    AUGUST 6, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/thor-love-and-thunder-ending-scene-gorr-1235193982/ 

After Dark World, I wondered what happened between Thor and Jane. How did you and Taika work that out? I’m sure much of that rom-com montage came together in the editing.
That was all Taika. That was something Taika conceived of in additional photography and they shot after they shot principal. There was definitely a lot of back and forth on what happened. What do we want to show? It was not just conversations with Taika, but conversations with Chris and Natalie. Really trying to flesh out, “How much do we want to show? How much of it is ex-girlfriend vs. Mighty Thor?” Really trying to find the balance across the board of what is Jane’s story and what should be the focus? Something that came to the surface was wanting to know more about the past of that relationship.

I loved the jealousy between Thor’s weapons, Stormbreaker and Mjölnir. What do you remember about crafting that?
In Taika’s first draft, Stormbreaker had kind of a personality. It was running at that and finding exciting ways everywhere we could to pepper in that jealous new love looking at the old love. It is a love triangle. You have the Thor and Jane love story, and then you have the love triangle of Mjölnir and Stormbreaker. Honestly, I ‘ship it. I love it.
Idris Elba is back briefly. Did you toy with having Tom Hidldeston pop up? Or was that not on the table?
Never on the table from what I understand. He’s in Loki-land. He’s doing his own thing. They are on two separate journeys.

How early did you settle on the ending, with bringing back Gorr’s daughter, Love?
Love and Thunder was always Love and Thunder. Gorr was always going to bring his daughter back into existence. There were many different versions of that final scene. There were many different versions of, “Does Gorr always make the choice? Does his heart kind of betray him? Does he go to the very last minute, “No I want the gods to die,” but because Eternity grants your deepest desire, it’s his daughter that’s brought back? There were a lot of different versions of how she came into being, but her coming into being and that being what is brought forward from Eternity was always the end goal.

Were you on set for the post-credit scene with Brett Goldstein as Hercules?
No, that was a top-secret situation I did not know about, and I was surprised to see at the premiere. It’s fun to come to this movie where I knew all the twists and turns, but could still walk out of it being like, “holy shit!”

Edited by tv echo

I think it's safe to call this movie an under performer. I don't think it falls into "bomb" territory as it's at least broken even using the rule of thumb.

I know MCU makes a lot of their money on merchandise but, I assume that goes hand in hand with box office (poor performance in one would indicate lower sales in the other). However,  I don't know that for sure 

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it's safe to call this movie an under performer. I don't think it falls into "bomb" territory as it's at least broken even using the rule of thumb.

I would say that it underperformed when compared to current Marvel expectations but less so as a Thor movie. It’s domestic box office just surpassed Ragnorak. It is well below Ragnorak internationally but must of that is due to no Chinese release. It does have a higher budget which is definitely a factor. For whatever reason the Thor movies do not have the strongest box office. 

I’m sure they wanted more but it’s not bad for a covid era movie with the shortened theatrical window. 

(edited)

Brett Goldstein Talks ‘Ted Lasso,’ His Emmy Win & His “Surreal” Hercules Marvel Casting [Interview]
Gregory Ellwood    August 9, 2022 
https://theplaylist.net/brett-goldstein-talks-ted-lasso-his-emmy-win-his-surreal-hercules-marvel-casting-interview-20220809/ 

So, you’ve got all this going on and then Kevin Feige calls you, I guess, and says, “Hey, will you shoot something for the end credits of ‘Thor: Love & Thunder.’” When you got the call, did you even know what it was for?
No, I didn’t know what it was for. I was told that some Marvel people would like to have a Zoom with you, and I met with them and it was just so surreal because…it was literally out of the blue one night and I was very busy and it was like, “Can you make time for a Zoom?” “Yes, sure.” And they go on Zoom and they just told me what you see in the film, which is they sort of opened with, “So Russell Crowe is Zeus,” and I’m like, “Yeah, OK, go on.” And blah, blah, blah. And then they turn around and they reveal “It’s Hercules; it’s you.” And I went, “What?” Just like, “Are you serious? Are you f**king with me? Is this a wind-up?” So yeah, it was as surprising to me as I think it has been to other people.
Did you feel like, “Oh no, for two weeks I have to starve myself before we shoot this”?
Yeah, when I spoke to Taika, I said, “You know I’m basically like a skinny comedian?” I said, “When is this filming?” It was like in two weeks, and I was like, “I mean, I’ll do my best, but two weeks feels …” I said, “He doesn’t have to be as big as Thor, does he?” And look, on the day, I mean, I’m doing 400 pushups that day. I was fit to explode. I did the best I could on that day, yeah.

It worked! You’re online, you’ve always had a social media presence. Did you care what the reaction was when people saw you? Are you happy that people seem excited that you’re the character?
Yeah. Of course, I care. It would be a real bummer if people weren’t interested. Of course, I care. I have to say I was surprised and delighted, as in it seemed to get a real positive response. And that, it’s amazing. I just, I’m not in charge of what they’re doing or what they want to do. And in a way that was an experience that I haven’t had for a long time, where I had no involvement in the behind-the-scenes of it. Look, you’re in f**king good hands. They make really good shit. You know what I mean? And Taika Waititi’s fucking brilliant, so it was like, “I’m in the best hands possible.” But, it’s amazing. Who knows if anything will come of it, who knows, but it was a fun thing to do and I’m pleased that people seem to have enjoyed it.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Thor: Love and Thunder Blu-ray Release Date & Best Buy Steelbook Revealed [EXCLUSIVE]
BY ROB KEYES    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/thor-love-and-thunder-blu-ray-release-date/ 

Thor: Love and Thunder arrives on Digital September 8 and 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD September 27, Screen Rant can exclusively announce. We also have the first look at the cover art for each version, the complete list of bonus features, a brand new Thor: Love and Thunder trailer and are revealing the Best Buy Steelbook!
Thor: Love and Thunder Bonus Features*

• Gag Reel – Take a look at some of the fun outtakes on set with the cast and crew of Thor: Love and Thunder.
  • Audio Commentary – Watch the film with audio commentary by director/writer Taika Waititi.

Featurettes

• Hammer-worthy: Thor and The Mighty Thor – Trace Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman's journeys to becoming Thor and The Mighty Thor, respectively. Watch as the costars speak about the preparation behind embodying their legendary roles and describe how they combine their unstoppable forces.
  • Shaping a Villain – This featurette introduces Love and Thunder’s primary antagonist, Gorr the God Butcher. Shining a light on the man who brings the character to life, this piece highlights his recruitment and process. Then fellow cast and crew reveal personal anecdotes.
  • Another Classic Taika Adventure – This piece looks back on Taika Waititi’s journey taking over the Thor franchise and reinventing the God of Thunder. Revisit the moment Taika was announced as the new custodian of Thor and follow Taika through the production of Thor: Love and Thunder.

Deleted Scenes

• Looking for Zeus – Thor, Valkyrie and Korg run into a few characters while seeking an audience with Zeus.
  • Wasting Time – Star-Lord and Mantis convince Thor to help their cause.
  • A Safe Vacation – A nonchalant Thor chats with a panicked Star-Lord and Mantis in the middle of chaos. An explosion thrusts Korg into the scene.
  • Fighting For You – Zeus gifts Thor a special tool after overhearing a heartfelt conversation.

*Bonus features vary by product and retailer

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Thor, Thor, and Gorr | Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love and Thunder | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Sep 1, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder Exclusive Deleted Scene Features a God That Was Almost Cut Entirely from the Film
By Jim Vejvoda   Sep 1, 2022
https://www.ign.com/articles/thor-love-and-thunder-deleted-scene-gods-zeus-dionysus

Thor: Love and Thunder featured a plethora of gods from the MCU, but some received far more screen time than others. IGN’s exclusive deleted scene from the Taika Waititi-directed romp gives fans their first extended look at the Greek god of fertility Dionysus, played by veteran stage and screen actor Simon Russell Beale (Penny Dreadful, The Legend of Tarzan).

I just got back after seeing it for the$3 cinema day and I liked it. Thor's always been a bit silly and it definitely leaned into that but it works here. The kids getting superpowers and fighting were probably my favorite part. That little girl with her bunny might be my favorite partnership ever!!

• Love 3

When Love Meets Thunder | Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love and Thunder | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Sep 6, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder - Official Deleted Scene | Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Pom Klementieff
IGN Movie Trailers   Sep 8, 2022

Edited by tv echo
On 9/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, tv echo said:
This deleted scene features Thor, Jane and Zeus...

Oh dammit I wish they would have kept it in, as with the other deleted scene of Zeus giving Thor lightning tips and Jane following it Thor to Gorr. Not only would it been nice to have a serious part with Zeus, but I liked that Thor knew Jane chose to use the hammer one last time and respected her tragic choice.

And this still would have worked with the Hercules stinger. Zeus in mythology was a duplicitous dick, so helping Thor then putting a hit on him behind his back is pretty in character.

The first video below includes a snippet of Chris Hemsworth's screen test for the first Thor movie...

Legacy of Thor | Disney+
Disney Plus   Sep 8, 2022

The Making of Thor: Love and Thunder | Official Trailer | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Sep 8, 2022

"Thor 5: Still Alive!" Taika Waititi and Tessa Thompson on a new Thor sequel (and Valkyrie spin-off)
BBC Radio 1   Sep 8, 2022

Thor 4 Love and Thunder New Deleted Scene | Zeus And Thor
Ferhat Kucur   Sep 7, 2022

Edited by tv echo

I watched it again with my friend on Disney+ and you know what? It was fine the way it was. My only real gripe was killing off Jane, but aside from that it was just a fun time. Maybe it was a little sillier than it needed to be, but I stopped taking the MCU seriously a long time ago.

I still wish they kept the deleted scenes with Zeus in though. 🤷‍♀️ 

I liked it but not as much as Ragnarok. However, I always want to see Thor's goofy ass, so..

Maybe I'm just easily amused but those goats were brilliant. I lost it every time they screamed. 

The use of Guns & Roses worked so well that it made me like those songs again and I've been sick of them for years. I thought it was funny how the credits used a Dio song though. I can only hope the next one is a full on Dio songfest. Dio's my man. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Ouch. Am I weird for liking this movie? Or maybe my bar is lower? Also, I was surprised Epic Voice Guy didn’t compare Jane’s cancer to Wade Wilson’s (re: looking relatively healthy at a late stage)

I forget to show that I got this Valkyrie sketch last month at a convention. And I’m waiting on a Korg commission. By the way, do most people from New Zealand sound like him? It probably doesn’t help I’ve been watching Wellington Paranormal.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If you are, I am, too!

Maybe I was being dramatic. It’s just that it’s hard to know how good an I watched movie can be thanks to organized “fans” with time on their hands.

”You earned that carb!” Great take on The Flick.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Ouch. Am I weird for liking this movie?

Not at all. Like I posted earlier, I liked it even more on rewatch. Maybe it was just because I hated MoM so much, but this was just fun. And I’m way more invested in the Thor gang than Strange (except for Wong, he rules).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Ouch. Am I weird for liking this movie?

No, you're not. In fact, my first post here mentions that I felt like the odd man out because I didn't like it.   My husband didn't see it with me in the theater because he wasn't feeling well that day, so I took a friend instead.  He says he'll eventually watch it, but in all honesty, I don't know if I can bring myself to sit through it a second time.  That's a first for me.  Even the Marvel movies I didn't care for, I was able to watch at least twice (this is usually when I'm watching with someone who hasn't seen it yet).

While I agree with a lot of what "Honest Trailer" said, I do think they were a little harsh with them pointing out some of the humor surrounding Jane's cancer.  Gallows humor really is a thing, and I think it is in line for some of the characters to act like that.  I can totally buy the whole "How many stages of cancers are there?  "4 of them."  "4 that we know of!" exchange between Jane and Darcy because that's exactly how Jane would probably act to put up a good front (and possibly push back her real feelings.)  Or Thor going overboard with raiding the vending machine: sure, it might have been shown in a way to get a laugh but I can also buy that Thor would do something like that to try and help in anyway possible, since he was probably feeling helpless at that moment.  Definitely had my issues with the jokes not landing most of the time, but that was a bit harsh, I thought.

Still, I think the trailer addressed the two big issues that I think would have helped: a) it really needed more of Gorr and him establishing himself as a major threat and b) way, way, way less Korg.  Love you, Taika, but you let your schick run amok here.

Still might rewatch soon to see if my feelings will change now that I know what to expect.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I love Korg and don't think there's too much of him in the movie. Thor needs someone to bounce off of. I prefer Korg any day to Peter Quill.

For me that's a wash, but I'd prefer Lady Sif or the Warriors Three to either of them. But really Rocket is my favorite character to have Thor interact with.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’ll go further: I’m aware of many people complain that Thor regressed as a character and basically learned the same lessons from the other movies, and while they aren’t wrong, that’s on the Russos, not Taika. But Taika deserves credit for deciding to build on that: it’s realistic for Post Endgame Thor to still be at a crossroads. He lost so much and still has all that guilt, and the most his so-called friends had to offer was “suck it up, you big fat crybaby.” Tough love is all well and good, but sometimes it’s not helpful. Seeing Jane again and realizing he still loved her was the thing that got him going again. And even though he lost her again, he knew it was better to have one last moment with her than just push her away like everyone else.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Thor: Love and Thunder Surprisingly Removed Lady Sif from a Major Scene
By Sam Hargrave   September 14, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-love-and-thunder-lady-sif-removal 

Overall, Sif only made her way into two scenes of Love and Thunder properly, but new images have revealed even more got as far as to go in front of cameras.

As shared via Thor: Love and Thunder's Gag Reel, Jamie Alexander was on set in a wheelchair as Lady Sif for the movie's town hall scene in which the leaders of New Asgard planned a mission to the Shadow Realm and Omnipotent City.
Sif would have appeared alongside Thor, Korg, Jane Foster, and Valkyrie. The Asgardian hero was seemingly omitted from the sisterly dynamic between the other two female warriors.

sif2.png

Edited by tv echo

Chris Hemsworth's Thor Franchise Just Broke a Major Record
By David Thompson   Sep 15, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-chris-hemsworth-franchise-record

At the domestic box office, Love and Thunder has grossed $342.4 million. 2017's Thor: Ragnarok grossed $315 million, Thor: The Dark World grossed $206.4 million, and the original Thor earned $181 million.

This is the first time in box office history that a live-action blockbuster franchise with four installments has continually outperformed its predecessor at the domestic box office.
This is a niche record, due to the fact that many franchises don't go beyond a three-part trilogy.

“Does anyone have any battle experience?”🤣

Oh Thor. 

I loved the child actor who played Astrid/Axl, he was very good. I would’ve preferred more of Valkyrie, and of our intro scenes- Thor with Rocket like a few said above.

Thor lost Jane, but he now has a daughter. 

I didn’t like it as much as Ragnarok but I liked it a lot. I thought Thor grew a lot as a person, I would’ve liked to see more bits with his friends though.

Russell Crowe looked so different with the hair and the beard. I had to look up who was playing Hercules.

• Love 4

Watched it today, and while I am sure other thoughts will come to me, my big take away is I am super annoyed that cancer is still a thing in the MCU. They figured out flying cars in the 40's, they have Pym particles and interstellar travel and Tony cracked time travel in an evening. But somehow chemotherapy is still the best option. It makes all the super geniuses of the MCU look like assholes.

Also why didn't Thor just make a wish for Jane not to have cancer? Or did only the first person through the door get to make a space god wish?

So I just watched this and I didn't think it was that bad? I appreciated that this didn't feel like a movie where you had to have seen every single Marvel TV show, etc in order to keep up (Dr. Strange felt like that to me). I also appreciated that it actually felt like it was trying to be more serious with Jane's cancer storyline and the bad guy's only goal being the loss of his daughter.

I feel like people must not have liked it because of those elements- it's not as wacky or as fun as Ragnarok. But it certainly didn't feel like a mess or whatever it was that I read from some of the criticism. I think it did what it wanted to do. 

I think partially the problem here is that people aren't really into Thor and Jane. I mean, it's been a long time since we saw them together and I'm not sure anyone really cared about them as a couple even when we did. And this movie brought back that relationship and made it sort of a tragic thing and wanted us to care, but I think that ship has kinda sailed at this point.

Personally, I think they have NO more excuses not to put him with Lady Siff now, especially since they brought her back. I mean, why not? I sort of thought from the beginning of the Thor series that she'd be a better love interest for him anyway. 

They should do that in the next one and bring back Loki as well because I think the franchise needs Tom Hiddleston too.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

They should do that in the next one and bring back Loki as well because I think the franchise needs Tom Hiddleston too.

I’m still hoping Thor has a cameo in Loki season 2.

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also why didn't Thor just make a wish for Jane not to have cancer?

Because Steve Rogers is the only hero that’s allowed to cheat fate without consequences.

• Love 3

This was the worst Thor movie. Highly disappointed and waste of my time. 

And why did Jane have to die? 

On 9/17/2022 at 8:52 PM, Scarlett45 said:

“Does anyone have any battle experience?”🤣

Oh Thor. 

I loved the child actor who played Astrid/Axl, he was very good. I would’ve preferred more of Valkyrie, and of our intro scenes- Thor with Rocket like a few said above.

Thor lost Jane, but he now has a daughter. 

I didn’t like it as much as Ragnarok but I liked it a lot. I thought Thor grew a lot as a person, I would’ve liked to see more bits with his friends though.

Russell Crowe looked so different with the hair and the beard. I had to look up who was playing Hercules.

Oh is that who played Zeus? I didn’t recognize him 

Edited by oliviabenson
On 7/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, MaggieG said:

I'm sad we didn't get a scene with Rocket and Thor since they didn't get snapped and spent more time together than Peter and Thor.

Rocket is the best! Guess the in-between adventures of Thor with the Guardians will be in the Guardians movie, so I hope Chris Hemworth/Thor will be in Vol 4. On a very shallow (and very separate) note, Chris Pratt's hair length and beard look was very flattering here. 

I'll go even weirder in this thread by concluding: I think we need to get Kenneth Branagh back to this franchise – not necessarily to direct, but be involved int the story direction and/or the screenplay. He's not as funny as Taika, but he always, always takes pains to expertly support and organically weave in character development and motivation. (See also: Cinderella.) Has the that Thor banishing scene with Hopkins, Hiddleston and Hemsworth (hey – triple H! Didn't hit me till just typing this now) been topped? 

I'm not personally getting why Bale was a great villain. This filling-in-the-gap-from-the-loss-of-a-child was really pedestrian (as movie motivation and not real life, to be sure!)

I am a massive fan of Taika (you will not see a bigger advocate for Hunt for The Wilderpeople), but this directing was lackluster. That Thor/Zeus deleted scened? We could have used more of that, Mr Waititi. 

Has the that Thor banishing scene with Hopkins, Hiddleston and Hemsworth (hey – triple H! Didn't hit me till just typing this now) been topped? 

I was more more moved by the goodbye scene between the 3 of them right before Hela showed up in Ragnarok.