Type keyword(s) to search

Soccer

• Start Topic

We got up at 4:30am to watch, with the thought process that they’d win and the excitement would power us through the rest of the day. Now it’s 10am and I regret it! The USWNT was just not connecting in any sense, and I think not getting off to a good start really got to their heads. Hoping that now they shook off the jet lag or the “World Cup winners” pressure or the nerves or WHATEVER was tripping them up and this lit a fire under their butts!

• Love 3

I'm glad I didn't get up early to watch, what a mess. The team didn't look great at all, it looked like they hadn't practiced together in months and we all know that's not the case. I hope this lights a fire and isn't indicative of how things are going to go. 

• Love 1

Sweden also broke the US wins streak back in April when the game ended in a draw. 

I got a notification around 7am that the Dutch ladies were about to play but I opted to go back to sleep haha. They won 10-3, which my non-soccer watching husband called a baseball score. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Sweden also broke the US wins streak back in April when the game ended in a draw. 

Sweden seems to be their nemesis. They are also the team that knocked out the Americans from the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games in the quarterfinals, the earliest U.S. Olympic exit ever.

• Love 2

Group F has seen some prolific goal scoring in its first three matches. With 5-0 and 10-3 results on the opening day and now a 4-4 between China and Zambia. Zambia may only be 104th in the world rankings, but Banda is the top goal scorer in the tournament so far with 6 goals. And as I type this I see that The Netherlands have already scored their first goal against Brazil in the 3rd minute. So maybe another high scoring match coming up?

An uneven performance by the US Women en route to a tie with Australia.  They had some good chances but just couldn't put the ball into the back of the net.  Alex Morgan had the great header to score, only to be ruled offsides on video replay by what seemed like inches.  Several other weak shots that had no chance.  And there was a great free ball where it seemed like the US had 3 free in the box but just couldn't connect.

Frustrating watching the last 15 minutes when Australia seemingly just played keep away with four defenders on the back line passing the ball back and forth, wasting 1-2 minutes each time.  US seemed content just to let it happen.  Agree with the female commentator (sorry didn't catch her name) that she would like to see the US be more aggressive and try to move forward with more momentum and win rather than trying to play it safe for the tie.

Does Carli Lloyd always substitute late into the game?  I feel like she did the same in Rio?  Yes, she's old, but if she really is still one of the best, why doesn't she play more?  Surprised that she came in for Alex Morgan, guessing the coach wanted to get her some rest?

US seems more than a half a bubble off this tournament. I hate the 2nd half strategy of playing for the draw....when you play not to win, sometimes the loss catches up quickly.  Here’s to hoping they get it together. 

• Love 1

Scoring 21 goals in 3 matches looks good, but conceding 8 shows that the defence is our weak link and we'll have to improve that in the quarter finals against the US. And Brazil broke the streak of high scoring matches in our group, winning only 1-0 against 10 opponents after an early red card for Zambia.

• Love 1

It seems to me that the women's teams still carry their big recognisable names on their Olympics squad (Lloyd, Ertz, Morgan, Rapinoe etc for the US, Buchanan for Canada).  But the men's field doesn't seem to have any name names?  Granted, I am a "major tournament" only kind of soccer fan, but I don't recognise any of the names.  Belgium, Italy, Netherlands and Great Britain / UK didn't even bother to enter a team.  None of the big stars for France, Spain or Germany are there.  Are they just tired from the Euros or is the Olympics not considered prestigious in men's soccer?

1 minute ago, blackwing said:

It seems to me that the women's teams still carry their big recognisable names on their Olympics squad (Lloyd, Ertz, Morgan, Rapinoe etc for the US, Buchanan for Canada).  But the men's field doesn't seem to have any name names?  Granted, I am a "major tournament" only kind of soccer fan, but I don't recognise any of the names.  Belgium, Italy, Netherlands and Great Britain / UK didn't even bother to enter a team.  None of the big stars for France, Spain or Germany are there.  Are they just tired from the Euros or is the Olympics not considered prestigious in men's soccer?

Olympic men's soccer is usually under-23 (I think under-24 this year because of being pushed back), with a few older players allowed. No age restrictions for Olympic women's soccer.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Belgium, Italy, Netherlands and Great Britain / UK didn't even bother to enter a team.

It's not that they didn't bother. They just didn't qualify. And as ZootSuitWyatt said, only under-23 players are allowed in the Olympics with a maximum of three older players allowed per team. FIFA won't allow full-strength teams in the mens' tournament because they want the World Cup to reamin the undisputed biggest tournament in soccer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, ZootSuitWyatt said:

Olympic men's soccer is usually under-23 (I think under-24 this year because of being pushed back), with a few older players allowed. No age restrictions for Olympic women's soccer.

8 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

It's not that they didn't bother. They just didn't qualify. And as ZootSuitWyatt said, only under-23 players are allowed in the Olympics with a maximum of three older players allowed per team. FIFA won't allow full-strength teams in the mens' tournament because they want the World Cup to reamin the undisputed biggest tournament in soccer.

Makes sense.  Thanks both of you, I appreciate it!

And, Naeher with similar heroics for the USWNT, setting up a rematch of the 2012 semifinal between the USA and Canada.  Starting Lynn Williams looks like a genius move. Though, I question the utility of giving Lloyd the start, but given the forward options, it was probably the correct move, as it allowed Press or Morgan to be saved for the second half and then-potential extra time.  The USA looked out-of-sync for the last 20+ minutes of normal time, so I was a bit surprised that the USWNT pulled it out, especially via a penalty shoot-out.  (I was away from a TV during the extra 30 minutes, so I don't have any opinion on that section of the match.)

The USWNT also excises some of the demons from 2016 by not only winning a penalty shoot-out at the quarterfinal stage, but also converting all its spot kicks in the shoot-out (bonus: both Morgan and Press converted their kicks).  If the Netherlands had a healthy Sherida Spitse to take the penalty kick in regular time and/or a kick in the shoot-out, I think that the USA would have been the more likely team to go home early.

In the most entertaining match of the day, Australia gets it done in extra time versus Great Britain and an Ellen White hat trick, thanks in part due to another second-half penalty kick save.  (Only Sweden's Asllani converted a regular penalty kick during the quarterfinals.)  I was hoping that GBR would advance, but it's great to see a worthy Australia advance to a semifinal, especially with former USWNT assistant Tony Gustavsson at the helm.

In the Brazil match, defender Jayde Riviere picked up another yellow card, so she will not be available for the semifinal against the USWNT.

(For the NBCOlympics.com stream of the USA-NED match, the shoot-out begins at the 161:30 mark)

• Love 1

I will just say these games are giving me way too much stress way too early in the mornings. I end up being on edge all day, partly from the stress and partly from lack of sleep!

• Love 3

Right??!!!  I was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't have a beer or two while watching to take the edge off, though I was wildly tempted to have a beverage with breakfast this morning.  Eeesh!  Rematch of the US-Canada semi---I expect wildness.  Still feel like the US team is at least a half a bubble off---not feeling it for this tournament.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shantown said:

I will just say these games are giving me way too much stress way too early in the mornings. I end up being on edge all day, partly from the stress and partly from lack of sleep!

Have you heard that the next Women's World Cup (in 2023, hopefully) will be hosted by Australia and New Zealand? 😬

6 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I has a sad. I was hoping for a medal but getting the US in the quarter final dashed that hope. The girls did great but it wasn't good enough.

With Mark Parsons taking over for the departing Wiegman, I'll be interested in seeing what he can do with the Netherlands in a year for the Women's Euro, although there won't be too much room for experimentation, as WWC qualifying begins right away in mid-September.  Though, NED's biggest weakness at the moment seems to be a lack of depth, especially concerning game-changing substitutes, which is not something that can be readily fixed in a year or even two.

49 minutes ago, pennben said:

Rematch of the US-Canada semi---I expect wildness.  Still feel like the US team is at least a half a bubble off---not feeling it for this tournament.  

I expect chippiness.  And, some blood.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:53 AM, greyhorse said:

Does Carli Lloyd always substitute late into the game?  I feel like she did the same in Rio?  Yes, she's old, but if she really is still one of the best, why doesn't she play more?  Surprised that she came in for Alex Morgan, guessing the coach wanted to get her some rest?

Through four matches, Andonovski seems to be splitting center forward duties between Lloyd and Morgan, giving each player alternating starts, and with almost even playing time so far, as each player has 192 and 198 official minutes, respectively (cumulative stats, PDF file).  Alternating players like that, especially for more attacking-oriented positions (as opposed to the goalkeeper and back line) isn't unusual, and is almost a necessity, given the more compressed nature of the Olympics tournament, versus a World Cup.  I rate Morgan as the better all-around player, though she has a history of injury issues, so limiting Morgan's exposure to injury risks is a wise move, especially in the opening stages of this tournament.  If Andonovski continues to alternate, then Morgan would be expected to be in the starting line-up against Canada, though given the physicality of Canada, I could see giving Lloyd the start and evening resting Morgan by subbing someone else in for Lloyd, if the USWNT has a comfortable lead at half-time and at the 60-minute mark.

As to why Lloyd doesn't play more, besides not having the legs for speedy runs, I think one of the main reasons is that she doesn't currently have the goal-scoring rate of other options at the center forward/striker position.  Specifically, Lloyd's old school physicality lacks the technical finesse of Alex Morgan or even Christen Press.  It's also worth noting that up to the 2012 Olympics, and going back to her NCAA days, Lloyd was primarily an attacking midfielder.  Emphasis on "attacking", as she was never really a classical #10 playmaker and was known for optimistic shots from outside the box, rather than racking up assists.  Nowadays, she is exclusively a center forward.

I'd also add that none of the top younger forward options have broken through to a regular starting position:  Mallory Pugh (age 23) has struggled to make an impact after debuting for the USWNT at age 17; Catarina Macario (age 21), who is on this Olympic squad, only recently acquired her FIFA eligibility for the USA and is viewed as a midfielder at the moment; and, Sophia Smith (age 20) only has a handful of senior USWNT caps and no goals.  I'm not saying that any of these players are prime center forward candidates right now, but if they were competitive options, then that would allow Press or Lynn Williams to move to the center forward position.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the USWNT has plenty of depth at all positions, so it's much more rare to have a young player break through while college age or younger, compared to Canada or even strong European teams such as Germany, Sweden, or England.

• Love 1

Well, I’m bummed for the U.S. but they have looked sub-standard for most of the tournament, so it’s not a big surprise. Maybe they should have gone with more youth vs. experience, the lack of speed was noticeable. 

I’ll be rooting for Canada in the gold medal match because perhaps nobody deserves that medal more than Christine Sinclair.

I hope Melissa Naeher is okay. 

• Love 5

US has just not looked good this tournament, at all.  And while it sucks to lose on a messy penalty, they really showed no reason to believe they would win this match regardless.  

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I’ll be rooting for Canada in the gold medal match because perhaps nobody deserves that medal more than Christine Sinclair.

She is a beast. I mean I'm Canadian so i want them to win Gold too, but if they win, She wins and i think She'd (and I)would just lose it lol

• Love 5

I think the call itself was a bit questionable... especially with a place in the gold medal match on the line, I would have thought it would have taken a very egregious foul to get a penalty kick awarded.  But I guess the VAR thought otherwise.

Some would say this is karma for the London Olympics, when the Canadian goalkeeper was penalised for holding the ball too long.  That led to an indirect free kick, which inadvertently hit a Canadian player on the arm, which led to a penalty kick, which led to an American victory.  I believe the U.S. coach even admitted that she had never seen a goalkeeper actually called for holding the ball too long.  

I don't think this call was as egregious as the one in 2012, and the U.S. squad hasn't looked good during these Olympics, but oh well, I guess that's how it goes.

• Love 2

Great bronze medal match! The U.S finally showed a little life and Australia never quit. I’m sorry for Sam Kerr but I’ll still celebrate the U.S medal.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: the commentator on NBCSN said the gold medal match would be played tomorrow (Friday in the U.S.) at 8:00 am on USA. I think that’s a change from the original schedule.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Pandora said:

PROGRAMMING NOTE: the commentator on NBCSN said the gold medal match would be played tomorrow (Friday in the U.S.) at 8:00 am on USA. I think that’s a change from the original schedule.

Sweden and Canada both asked that it be rescheduled because playing in the midday heat in Tokyo would be potentially dangerous.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Sinclair didn't even play in the final third or so, and didn't take a penalty kick.  It was the teammates that she inspired into the game over her long, incredible career who got her the gold.  What a wonderful tribute to her storied career.

• Love 8

Wow. What a nail biting fest that was, sooooo happy for Canada and Sinclair. Labbe was awesome to watch, dancing around on the line like she was having a ball.

The medal ceremony better be on somewhere I can watch.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Pandora said:

Wow. What a nail biting fest that was, sooooo happy for Canada and Sinclair. Labbe was awesome to watch, dancing around on the line like she was having a ball.

The medal ceremony better be on somewhere I can watch.

Did you catch it? CBC did show it. All the athletes singing to the anthem, their mask going in and out. lol

• Love 2
On 8/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, statsgirl said:

I was exhausted after that and I only sat home watching. What a hard fought game! This may be the last Olympic game of Sinclair's career so it's great to finally win the gold.

Whoah. Pissy.

Honestly after what I read in the gymnastic thread re: NBC's broadcasting decisions, I pretty much am boycotting NBC's Olympic coverage (also. they didn't have a montage, and they don't have Bob Costas anymore. bleggghhh). Like imagine if you were a Canadian living in America (or or. Canadian athlete's relative living in America) - and you missed the greatest moment of your  relative's life.. For shame, NBC. (i get it needs to be America All the Time) but seriously. 

Other countries show your country's medalists respect, would be nice if y'all did the same. 

• Love 3