Type keyword(s) to search

Reservation Dogs - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, I caught the first ep -- the first two are available.

I like the vibe and the personalities we have seen so far.  it is both humorous and very textured.  The slice of life stuff for these friend is great.  That one guy, so far, Bear -- is a star in the making.  I loved his re-creation of the scene in Platoon.  LOL.

• Love 7

Just heard about this and checked out the first two episodes.  Definitely has a lot of potential here.  I like the insights into life on a reservation and it helps that they actually filmed this in Oklahoma, which gives it a different feel compared to the norm.  The writing is pretty solid too.  I'm guessing some of it was pulled through Sterlin Harjo's life experience, but you can also tell that Taika Waititi's hand is in this, because some of the laughs and lines are totally out of his playbook.

The actors playing the four leads are all great in their own way and carry the show well so far.  And it's always great seeing Zahn McClarnon: one of my favorite actors out there.  This certainly isn't the first time he's played a cop, but I like that he is allowed to be more humorous here, with his weird conspiracy theories and obvious crush on Bear's mom.

Looking forward to seeing how this season plays out.

• Love 6

The first episode was really good, but the second was absolutely great. I love how it gave insight on everyone's personality and the community.   Funny seeing  Jana Schmieding who is so warm in "Rutherford Falls" playing the brusque receptionist. 

• Love 6

I

On 8/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, DearEvette said:

Yeah, I caught the first ep -- the first two are available.

I like the vibe and the personalities we have seen so far.  it is both humorous and very textured.  The slice of life stuff for these friend is great.  That one guy, so far, Bear -- is a star in the making.  I loved his re-creation of the scene in Platoon.  LOL.

Yeah, I enjoyed the sense of realism that the setting of the show has. Actually filming in Oklahoma instead of on a lot in Hollywood or Toronto really added something to the show.

This show has a really great balance of humor and genuine heart. Cheese just might be my fav; his story with the old lady in the second episode was especially touching without being overdone. 

I really hope this show gets some awards notice next year. 

• Love 5

Fun seeing Louanne Stephens (Ruby from Longmire, Grandma Saracan from Friday Night Lights) in the opening act as the woman in the car.

Uncle Browie was certainly a character!  Gary Farmer is another one of those actors I've seen pop up in various films or shows with Native American characters and was a good fit here.  Also nice exploring a little bit more of Elora's backstory.

I do wonder where Cheese was.

Cracked up over them actually censoring out the owl eyes.

Loved the exchange between Browie and the bar patron, where the latter was angry about the fight, Browie pointed out he was on the same meth he sold him, and the patron was just like "That's... fair, I guess."  Logical!

• Love 5

Absolutely hilarious.  I have to watch the 1st three episodes again as I missed stuff from laughing so much.  From start to finish not a bad episode in the bunch.

Edited by mytmo
  • Love 2

Finally caught up on this series - so good! 

Everyone pointing with their lips got me, and I loved the Willie Jack and Bear in the background outside Uncle's house still avoiding eye contact with the owl while they waited for Elora.

I would suspect people watching a show about native culture would be okay with this story but just in case, I put it behind spoiler tags...

Spoiler

I worked with a guy who once stuffed a deer in the back of his hatchback, closed the hatch, and by the time he got home rigor mortis had set in and he couldn't get the deer out. He had to use a reciprocating saw and cut it up to get it out - and he didn't live in the most rural of areas.

So yeah, the deer in the trunk was classic. Who doesn't know someone who wants you to call them if you ever hit a deer?

Edited by mledawn
wrong Podemski sister
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Fun seeing Louanne Stephens (Ruby from Longmire, Grandma Saracan from Friday Night Lights) in the opening act as the woman in the car.

Thank you. It was driving me crazy trying to remember where I saw her from. 

I like this show. It's cute and the characters are quirky and interesting. I'm so glad tv is starting to showcase Native Americans more in front of and behind the camera. I hope the trend continues.

• Love 4

Cheese was back for ep 3, though he didn't do a lot. Most of the focus was on Bear, who is emerging as a star.

I think this was the least comedic episode. The show is really more of a drama than a comedy anyway, but this one was particularly serious.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think this was the least comedic episode. The show is really more of a drama than a comedy anyway, but this one was particularly serious.

Like "Atlanta" and "Dave", this is more of a dramedy.  There were really nice comedic touches to this like Garrett Hedlund as the Native American fetishest. As soon as Bear's mom woke up and they panned to the portrait of the stallion I wondered if it would turn out of he was a chaser.   Her fantasy sequence where he asked the servant, "What is this herb? Is it an Indian herb?" And she replied "Mint". had me howling.  The dick microphone and the acoustic version of "Greasy Frybread" that closed out the episode were nice, funny touches. 

But yeah, this was definitely leaning more on the drama from the seemingly impending friendship fracture between Elora and the others, to poor Bear and his trifling father. 

I also love that Rita isn't just made out to be a self-sacrificing single mom. She's on the pull and was even willing to let Punkin sleep on her sofa because she wouldn't  mind sleeping with him again.  

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Love 7

"Greasy Frybread" is another one in a long line of "deliberately bad" songs that will get stuck in my head for the next few days.  The acoustic version in the credits was a nice touch as well.

Enjoyed seeing more of Rita/Bear's mom in this one, and I like how they make her more flawed and human, but still show that she is someone who does want to do right by Bear.  I knew things with the David character wasn't going to end well (especially since it feels like Garrett Hedlund tends to play characters who seem nice on the surface, but not so much underneath lately), but the reveal and the fantasy sequence was darkly funny.

So, I guess one of the big arcs/drama this season will be if Elora ends up splitting from the group because she doesn't feel like the rest of them are as invested about getting out of the reservation like she is.  Granted, I really don't trust the other gang and the leader's claims that she will help her, but I can see why Elora will be having these thoughts if the current group keeps doing things like spending $90 on a microphone necklace shaped like a penis...

• Love 3

That Greasy Fry Bread video was hilarious although if your fry bread is greasy it's probably second rate just like the rapper.  Fry bread is amazing and is a science that I leave to the experts and greasy fry bread means your oil was not hot enough.  My sister who has won competitions told me that. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I'm loving this show. It's true to life in a lot of ways without being overly silly or maudlin, except where needed. 

Does anyone know who did the acoustic "Greasy Frybread"? I didn't see it in the credits and that was a really nice cap to the episode. 

Really good episode. Like the expansion of Big’s character from goofball comic relief to goofball with a good heart who is ultimately looking out for his community. Cheese is still a big sweetie.

The Deer Lady was cool. Makes me wonder if Willie Jack’s uncle really does have dirty pics of her lol. I enjoy the small touches of magical realism/surrealism in the show. 

• Love 9

Wes Studi!  I was hoping he might show up since he's one of my favorite actors out there, but I didn't think it would actually happen!  Loved him as Bucky: especially since; like with Zahn McClarnon; this allowed him to play something different compared to what he usually does, which is usually either stoic mentor-type characters or sinister villains.  Wouldn't mind seeing him again somewhere down the line.

Cheese and Big made for a good team and I liked seeing how Big not only decided to be a cop, but why he is such a big believer in the supernatural stuff.  Interesting that they seem to be hinting that the Deer Lady was actually real.

I guess Cheese hasn't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet, because I feel like most of his generation would at least associate "Come and Get Your Love" with the opening credits from that film, but he said he still wasn't familiar with the song even after it started playing.

• Love 7

This is my favorite episode of the show so far, but then I think the same thing every time I watch a new one.  The character development in this show is amazing, and I hope it's attracting lots of viewers.  I want to see more of the Deer Lady and watch Big solve the mystery of the catfish heads. 

• Love 8

Love. Pure love.

Also, many years ago I had a friend who went through a phase where all of a sudden she started making sculptures out of copper wire all day long, and it was like she just suddenly was obsessed with doing it... til she wasn't, and it stopped. At the time, I didn't really worry about it, but now I'm wondering what was up with that! They didn't have two penises, though. Definitely not.

• Love 7

Wes Studi!  I was hoping he might show up since he's one of my favorite actors out there,

Me too. I met him and his wife many years ago in Santa Fe. He was charming and smart (and quiet).

He is having a ball with the character of Bucky. As is Gary Farmer's uncle. So fun to watch.

Garrett Hedlund as the Native American fetishest

I love GH and wonder why he hasn't had more work.

As I watch this I keep remembering "Smoke Signals.' Each original in their own way. And I love seeing a real tribal community and personalities.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Definitely one of the more serious and slowest episodes so far, but I loved getting to learn more about Willie Jack this go around.  Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but I didn't realize that Daniel was actually her cousin, and while I'm sure all of the kids are mourning for him in their own way, that really has to be effecting her on a whole other level.  I'm glad Leon/her dad is there for her.  Paulina Alexis and Jon Proudstar were excellent here.

Interesting that it sounds like Willie Jack is now starting to question leaving the reservation as well.  At this rate, Elora might be the only one that is truly committed to their plan.

Notice Sterlin Harjo (the creator and showrunner) both wrote and directed this one, so I suspect he really wanted to take a hands on approach for this particular episode. 

• Love 5

There was so much to take from that episode - so much greatness and pathos contained in1/2 hour. 

-I thought the Helleluyn would feature more in the episode. I wonder if it was supposed to be a metaphor for Leon's depression because I can see him avoiding hunting due to the memories of Daniel but if he says it's because of Tall Man maybe that's legit too.   But I think it's the former, rather than the latter.  My life has been touched by suicide and the counselor at the suicide survivor's group my friend attended said, "When a loved one dies because of a disease, you blame the disease. When they die because of an accident, you blame the circumstances of the accident, when a loved one commits suicide everyone blames themselves." And that was certainly true in my circle My heart ached for Leon as he remembered his final interaction with Daniel. 

-The brief spots of levity were great: Leon and Willie Jack captured on the surveillance cameras goofing around; the Texas ranchers throwing out their irritants. 

- Loved Leon and Willie Jack's relationship and I loved that he wasn't dismissive of her plans and I love that she rightfully pointed out he told her she could be whatever she wanted to be so he's giving her that berth to live her life. 

-The hymn seems to have the same cadence of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" or "Amazing Grace".

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

The brief spots of levity were great: Leon and Willie Jack captured on the surveillance cameras goofing around; the Texas ranchers throwing out their irritants. 

Or him telling her not to use the chemical war paint and then in the next shot he's wearing it himself.

We have wild turkeys around here and they really do tend to be fairly skittish. So seeing the turkey basically follow them home to me was also a way Daniel was showing them his love.

• Love 11

This episode was beautiful. I loved the relationship between Willie Jack and her dad. I loved how he listened without judgement. While he offered his opinion, he didn't dismiss or argue with her about her ideas. He seems like just a genuinely good, kind-hearted person who is comfortable in his own skin, I hope we see more of him.

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 13

The last scene made me cry with what I think was all the departed at the cemetery.  When my brother in law passed about a year ago is when I heard about the spirit houses on the graves.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3

I didn't start watching this until today, and couldn't stop.  Incredible casting and story.  Random thoughts -

• I love the slow build up in the first episode to the Reservoir Dogs suits walk at the end, including the poster on Bear's wall.
  • Zahn McClarnon being goofy is delightful, and I hope Wes Studi comes back for another ep.
  • Leon's driving speech to Willie Jack about not swerving for small animals was so close to the one that my parents gave me.
  • This made me nostalgic for Sonic, and Sonic is not good (except for the onion rings).
  • Love 2

As far as standup comedians go, Bill Burr has to have one of the most interesting and diverse acting careers out of them: from shows like Breaking Bad, to The Mandolorian, and now this.  I thought he did a great job here as Coach Bobson.  Also credit to the make-up department, because they really did make him look exactly like a high school coach you see in almost every small town out there.

Had a feeling the episode was setting things up to reveal Daniel had committed suicide, but Elora discovering his body was still a gut punch to watch.  Definitely explains why she is particularly gung-ho about full-filling the idea of going to California, since he was the one who suggested.  I also got a sense judging from some of her looks at him that she had actual romantic feelings for him as well.  Devery Jacobs was excellent here.

Can't believe that we only have one episode left this season!

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't like Burr or his stand up but he did a good job here.

This show is the best thing ever.

That’s who that was!  I think I first noticed him when he hosted SNL, and I was definitely not a fan. But then I was pleasantly surprised by both him and Pete Davidson in King of Staten Island. Liked him here as well. 

Haven’t watched the latest ep yet but glad to see Bill Burr isn’t a hindrance. I didn’t think he was great in his first appearance in The Mandalorian and accepted it as stunt casting, but the second episode I thought he was very good.

I went and rewatched from the start and laughed at a bunch more things I had still missed even though I had rewatched each episode individually more than once. I loved how Leon’s overly-specific explanation of his laser printer to Bear (when he offers the group photo to him) is brought back when Willie Jack prints the photo of Chunk and Leon is exasperated that she’s used it.

The young actors are fantastic. What a great casting job done by the show. 

• Love 5

Devery Jacobs shared a piece she wrote for Time magazine today as a reflection on the show and the seventh episode in particular. It contains spoilers but is a must read once you've watched. She did a fantastic job (both the ep and the article), and learning about the prep behind the scenes added another layer to the emotion of the episode.

How Reservation Dogs Is Opening Up a Crucial Conversation About Suicide in Indigenous Communities 

• Applause 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, mledawn said:

Devery Jacobs shared a piece she wrote for Time magazine today as a reflection on the show and the seventh episode in particular. It contains spoilers but is a must read once you've watched. She did a fantastic job (both the ep and the article), and learning about the prep behind the scenes added another layer to the emotion of the episode.

How Reservation Dogs Is Opening Up a Crucial Conversation About Suicide in Indigenous Communities 

This show is so good because it's making being good a core value.

• Love 4
On 8/12/2021 at 6:03 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

I really hope this show gets some awards notice next year. 

It will clean up. It's the best show on television and waaaay overdue.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:59 PM, mledawn said:

Who doesn't know someone who wants you to call them if you ever hit a deer?

City people.  

Everything about this show is perfect. 

• Love 2

It was definitely great seeing the leads and Steven Harjo at the Emmy ceremony!

Liked how the finale brought back most of the supporting cast in some form, like Big, the Spirit Guide, Rita, Willie Jack's parents, the rappers, the rival gang, and Uncle Brownie (certainly saw a lot more of Brownie/Gary Farmer than I ever thought I would!)  Hope they are all featured again next season (along with Wes Studi's Bucky!)

Interesting finale.  I'm guessing next season will find a way to bring back Elora, but I imagine there will be some kind of fallout between her and Bear over leaving him behind and going with Jackie/the rival gang member instead since she was upset with how Bear handled his funds and thought he'd just mooch off of her when they get to California.  And then there was both Willie Jack and Cheese, who both decided to just stay on the rez instead.  Yeah, I'm guessing the Reservation Dogs won't be the same after this.

Glad that this show is coming back!  Hope it finds more viewers until then.  It honestly is one of the strongest first season shows out there.  Both hilarious and emotionally touching at the same time.  All four of the leads did great jobs and the supporting cast was strong across the board (although Zahn McClarnon as always was the standout for me.)  Can't wait to see what happens next!

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Liked how the finale brought back most of the supporting cast in some form

I loved seeing everyone brought together.  

I can see Elora and Jackie falling out or Jackie ditching her and Elora returning.  Elora wasn't wrong about Bear at all, but just as she was angry at Willie Jack opting to stay at the eleventh hour she should not have let her frustration with Bear stew until it boiled over like it did.  Now she wants to talk about him mooching off her when he's been doing it all along?    But then again Bear is still childish. He planned on leaving without telling is Mom? At least Cheese told his fake grandma. 

• Love 3