Type keyword(s) to search

Reservation Dogs - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Of course the spirit guide takes a snack into a port-a-potty while he doles out helpful (?) advice.  😂  But I'm glad Bear has him, he needs someone in his corner. 

• Love 6
On 8/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, AngieBee1 said:

I like that Bear and Danny connected - it's something they both needed as I don't think either one has properly dealt with their grief over Daniel's death. Bear wants to escape, Danny closed himself off.

By what Bear intimates and by Danny's own admission and by him giving up drinking, we can gather he wasn't a good father, but I don't rest Daniel's suicide on him. Mental illness / depression is real and there was a whole episode where we saw that Daniel was showing signs of both.

Exactly. We saw Daniel in the flashback in the bar with Elora go from happy to manic to angry in quick succession. It seemed to allude to a mental health issue being involved, along with a difficult family life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, eejm said:

Of course the spirit guide takes a snack into a port-a-potty while he doles out helpful (?) advice.  😂  But I'm glad Bear has him, he needs someone in his corner. 

I think Bear has everyone in his corner, he's just too young to realize it.  He has his mother, the guys from the diner, the trucker, Big, the roofers, the little guys, etc.  Everyone is quietly looking out for him, while giving him room to make his own way.

• Love 15

When Daniel was at the bar, it was clear that one thing weighing on him was that he didn't want to go home.  He wanted to be anywhere else.  He wanted to stay at the bar until that wasn't an option.  He stopped by his cousin Willy Jack's house, and was hinting around to his uncle that he should stay and help prepare for the hunting trip.  He ended up going to their clubhouse with nothing but his demons.

Danny's actions contributed to what Daniel did.  I don't know if this episode forgives Danny.  I think at most it says that he isn't inherently evil.  He doesn't forgive himself, and has to live with his memories.  The primary thing he wanted to tell Bear was that there are mistakes that don't have second chances.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 8/5/2022 at 5:29 AM, pasdetrois said:

The road trip is not quite doing it for me,

For me either, and it's mostly because I don't like Jackie. I'm glad that's over with and Elora is back with the Res Dogs.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, MisterGlass said:

I chuckled at Bucky sweeping up his own hair after the haircut when he heard the aunt gave them hair for a curse. 

I laughed at that too. That may have been the only time I've ever laughed at anything a Wes Studi character has done on screen. I had no idea he also did comedy.

I binged this show last week and this week's episode is the first one I've had to wait a week for. I hate watching an episode a week but for this show I'll make an exception because it is just so good. 

When the roofers sent Bear to search for the board stretcher I was instantly reminded of Bobby B sending Lancel Lannister in search of the breast plate stretcher on GOT, so I knew they were just fucking with Bear. I'm glad they didn't haze him any further and gave him some life lessons as well as some roofing lessons. 

Man, Danny & Bear's talk on the roof was rough. I remember in an earlier episode Daniel didn't want to go home and we could hear arguing coming from his house. I assumed his father was abusive, so imagine my surprise to meet him in this episode and it turns out he's actually kind of nice. But I guess since he said he's stopped drinking, he's now in a completely different place than he was before Daniel's death. I'd like to see more of Danny and Bear together to see if he's really changed and because Bear needs some male guidance I think. I also hope he sticks it out with the roofing. It may not be glamorous but it's honest work. It was sweet seeing Bear so happy after getting paid for a hard days work.

I was surprised Elora was crying over her dying grandmother considering when we saw them together they seemed to have a rather frosty relationship. 

• Love 6

Beautiful episode. The strength and comfort afforded by community, all those life long ties, the ease and familiarity, is a wonderful thing and a stifling thing, but also difficult a thing to leave behind. 

Edited by Juneau Gal
  • Love 13

Glad we got our first major Big sighting for this season!  It's just so much fun watching Zahn McClarnon play a role like this.  But I think what really helps is that while he is funny and eccentric, he isn't just comic relief, but actually can be quite insightful and thoughtful as well (once one looks past all of the conspiracy theories!)

Liked how the gathering brought almost all of the recurring characters here (wish they found a way to work in Bucky) and while it is different in a lot of ways, it did remind at times of the concepts of wakes and stuff, where there was a lot of celebrating and reunions within in the air of tragedy.  You really got a good sense of the community here and how everyone looks out for one another.

Cool seeing Tamara Podemski as Elora's aunt from another city (and who apparently had a thing with Big years ago?!)  Fun fact: she and Sarah Podemski (Rita) are sisters!

The gang's understandable reactions to Jackie were great, but it did seem like there was some thawing going on at the end.  Or at least a temporary truce.

I so want an episode (or part of one) where we see the Spirit's version of "orientation."

Cheese's prayer was Cheese at his best!

I knew Devery Jacobs joined the writers' room this season, but I saw she actually got co-writing credit here with Steven Harjo.  That pretty cool and she did an excellent job all around.

• Love 12

Such a simple and beautiful episode. Devery did an incredible job with the minimal dialogue. 

9 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

Beautiful episode. The strength and comfort afforded by community, all those life long ties, the ease and familiarity, is a wonderful thing and a stifling thing, but also difficult a thing to leave behind. 

Yes, this describes it perfectly. You could see the tug of war with Elora as she was embraced by the community and her ties to it, but still has that desire to life the life her aunt did. Leaving, traveling. I love watching her character just absorb all that's going on around her.

Jackie seemed to realize that Elora isn't hitting the road to Cali again just yet.

I adore Willie Jack and her reactions to tales from her dad's youth, lol.

I thought Elora and Bear would have a moment at the end, but her getting to say goodbye to her grandmother was a touching moment.

The spirit continues to be the best, bringing wisdom and hilarity. "She has that testicle pain."

• Love 5
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Cool seeing Tamara Podemski as Elora's aunt from another city (and who apparently had a thing with Big years ago?!)  Fun fact: she and Sarah Podemski (Rita) are sisters!

Thanks for the info.  Now I know why I kept getting them mixed up.

I loved the sense of community in this episode.  Even though it was serious, it was fun to see Big flirting.  

Mose and Meeko got their bikes back!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm not going to admit to tearing up, but "Mabel" may have made it a bit dusty in my room as I watched it. Allergies, I guess. It tapped some real life stuff I'm dealing with but presented the community gathering and mourning in such a real way that I probably could have teared up, if I was that sort of person. Which I'm totally not. Seriously. 

Edited by AncientNewbie
  • Love 4

So Danny's father gets a redemption story last episode and this turn it's Elora's grandmother. I really hate it when entertainment depicts abuse should be forgiven because of a death. Yes, it does happen in real life, but that doesn't make it okay. What it does is dismiss the abuse the victim endured. I absolutely count what Elora's grandmother did to her as abuse because neglect is a form of abuse.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion on this forum, but as someone who has experienced abuse I feel I should speak up about how dismissal of these types of actions does not help the victims. It only causes them to feel even more isolated especially if they can't forgive their abusers and they're being pressured to forgive. This happens alot.

I'm glad Elora got some type of closure being visited by the spirit of her grandmother, and I hope Bear steps up and becomes a true friend to her. She's really going to need it. Willie Jack and Cheese already do this and are excellent friends, but Elora seems to view them as their own unit and is drawn more to Bear for some reason. 

The writing for this episode was excellent and felt very true to life and effortless.

• Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2022 at 7:37 PM, mledawn said:

Don’t forget the other sister - Jennifer Podemski - plays Willie Jack’s mum. 

Thank you!  I'm feeling so much better about my confusion.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I'm glad Elora got some type of closure being visited by the spirit of her grandmother, and I hope Bear steps up and becomes a true friend to her. She's really going to need it. Willie Jack and Cheese already do this and are excellent friends, but Elora seems to view them as their own unit and is drawn more to Bear for some reason. 

Most likely because Elora and Bear were closest to Daniel, boyfriend/best friend respectively. Unlike the rest of their group, who do mourn Daniel; Elora and Bear are also carrying around unwarranted guilt that they could have done something to prevent his suicide. We've seen Bear being given permission to let go of his guilt by Daniel's father. No one has yet done that for Elora. I too hope Bear steps up, for both of their sakes. 

I also agree with all you've said @Catfi9ht about people pushing a new narrative about the dead when they pass on to minimize or completely ignore the pain they caused to their inner circle of family. They may mean well, but it just adds an additional layer of pain to the immediate family of the abusive person who died.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2022 at 11:55 PM, possibilities said:

Why does Bear have such a hard time showing up for her, I wonder? I hope he's not headed to repeating his father's patterns. His mom is so warm and so present, you'd think he would draw from her example.

Because he's a 17yo kid who keeps trying to show how tough he is and being sensitive is considered weak? Because he's still pissed at her for betraying him by taking Jackie his sworn enemy and leaving him behind? I admit I was disappointed he didn't go after her into the yard, especially after the conversation with his spirit guide. I think I would have preferred that to the last moment with the grandmother, especially since it didn't ring true to their relationship. It felt too tidy for this show.

My favorite moment was Willie Jack's face and "the fuck?" when she saw Bear and Jackie sleeping against each other on the couch. She is my favorite.

I just discovered this show a week ago and I've binged the whole thing. Now I am waiting and it sucks! I cannot say how much I love it - it's such a perfect blend of sweet and sour, and the mix of humor with the sad elements is perfection for me. I love all of the characters that populate the show, and the kids are all fantastic in their own unique ways.

• Love 8

The scene in the kitchen with the women talking about Cookie puking in the church - that gave Elora just as much insight to her gramma as the rest of us. And for Teenie to tell Elora the house is hers now - that was out of left field. How did all these women in Elora's community not see how Elora was being treated? I get that they dispersed after Cookie died but Elora is 17 or 18 (I think?). Where have they been all her life? It is such a contrast between the support Bear is shown to be getting and what Elora hasn't been shown to be getting.

The writers don't seem to be attributing Mabel's behaviour to anything but Cookie's death, since she was clearly a different woman beforehand - but will there be mention of generational trauma on any of these youth? Daniel's father being a hint of that perhaps?

This ep made me love Cheese even more - he's such a great character and the fact that this is the actor's first role is amazing. I was hoping he would have reminded Jackie that she and her pals beat up Bear.

Big's accent got a tad more rezzy in this episode, which cracked me up. What kind of Church camp did he attend anyway!?!

Still bummed at the missed opportunity to get all three Podemski sisters in the show as it did seem odd that Willie Jack's mum wasn't there.

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 4

It's interesting to see how the death of Elora's mother was the pivotal event for the previous generation, much like Daniel's death is the pivotal event for the current generation.  For the people affected there is before, and there is after.

I feel like funerals are like this when its for someone you've known all your life, but that was only a third of their life.

But the best moment was "Where the f*** 'd that horse go?"

ETA: Sonic should be forking over sponsor money at this point.  Maybe they are.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, mledawn said:

This ep made me love Cheese even more - he's such a great character and the fact that this is the actor's first role is amazing.

Amongst the youngsters, he's my favorite. But that could change. 😁

This episode was very realistic. Friends and neighbors dropping off little food gifts - iced beverages, Wonder Bread - as the vigil proceeded. The traveling songs and blessings delivered over the dying loved one. The many hands making fry bread, posole, etc. The spirit plate. It was like a little love letter to the community.

So much talent in this group of actors. It's is extremely rare for me to watch any TV episode twice, but I'm doing so for this series.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3

That dance number...worth the price of admission. 

Anything following "Mabel" is going to have a hard time, but I liked this latest entry. I've been to a lot of work conferences over the years and the escapism in such small ways felt real. The lingering conflict was a nice touch, if making for an awkward party.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I really liked seeing the women’s relationship with each other, it helps to deepen the story, and I enjoyed the episode. Laugh out loud funny at times. That being said, I hope we get back to the original four rez dogs and see more of their interacting with each other and handling life on the reservation. 

• Love 4

Glad to see Rita take front and center again somewhat and the whole "girls night out" concept was fun.  Liked exploring more of Rita and Teenie's relationship and how there is still some conflict there with the way she left and how she has her own problems despite leaving the Rez.  I wonder how much longer this character will be sticking around?

I wonder if these types of work conferences are a thing in real life?  They gave off the vibe that they were, because there were some quirks and ideas that feel like they couldn't have been made up but were drawn from someone's life.

Not much of the main gang, but I loved that Bear was naturally using his mom's absence to throw a big party at the house.  Of course, Rita was also pretending she was going to have an early night and totally not trying to pick up guys at the conference, so it's probably one of those cases were as long as neither one of them say what is happening out loud, its all good!  

• Love 2

Holy shit if this episode didn’t make me think of my three college friends and smile.  Granted, we’re all married and not looking to “snag,” but the four of us meet up once a year, rent an Air BnB, drink a lot of alcohol, shoot the shit about jobs/husbands/kids, and have a long weekend much like Rita, Teenie, Nathalie, and Bev.  (Thankfully we aren’t permanently missing a Cookie of our own.).  That was one of the best episodes I’ve seen.  😊

Edited by eejm
  • Love 8

I have annual conferences for my industry (IT), and I would never want to hook up with any of the men. No thank you.

200-2110541884.gif.33a0e3e68768f320a546121e94a78157.gif

It's so rare to have an all female interaction in a movie or TV show where they're supporting each other and choosing their own paths.

It's such a common thing to want someone else's life because you're viewing it from the outside. You see all the polish but none of the grit. I loved that Teenie and Rita talked it out. Again, a rarity on movies or TV. The "misunderstanding" trope is so outdated. I'm glad we've got entertainment now that's finally moving past some of the terrible tropes.

I loved this episode.

I loved Jana Schmieding in both this show and Rutherford Falls, and both of her characters are amazing, but Bev is so cool. I would totally want to be her friend.

• Love 5
On 8/24/2022 at 4:48 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I wonder if these types of work conferences are a thing in real life? 

Absolutely. I've been to conferences for IHS, grantwriting, utilities, Head Start, etc. and the huge National Congress of American Indians. There was partying but not at the scale we saw in this episode.

Some reservations are still dry, as well as very isolated, so Indians look forward to getting away and having fun.

But the pressure to maintain traditional native women's behaviors is still very strong (think conservative). One of the characters alluded to this. I recall a lot of tsk-tsk-ing at native women who wore flashy clothing and heavy makeup, imbibed, stumbled around and danced the night away at conferences.

This episode's writing was so brilliant and fast-moving I had a hard time keeping up with it long enough to admire it. It said A LOT about contemporary native womens' issues.

One of the executive producers is a Harjo. This family has been notable in native circles for decades. Jo Harjo was the United States Poet Laureate.

Epi faves: the always-droll Beverly; the impromptu drumming in the parking lot; the edibles-induced fantasy dancing (I roared at that).

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

It's such a common thing to want someone else's life because you're viewing it from the outside. You see all the polish but none of the grit. I loved that Teenie and Rita talked it out.

That's what kept me from being completely disappointed about Rita/Sam. It was ultimately more important for Teenie and Rita to have the conversation and time together that they did. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Sterling Harjo is the show runner.  He got Taika Waititi on board to help bring attention to the project, but this is really his baby.

All three versions of the dance were hilarious.

I listened to an interview with Sterlin Harjo last year about the show.  He said he and Taika were having a conversation about their respective indigenous upbringings and found a lot of parallels between Harjo’s life in Oklahoma and Taika’s in New Zealand.  I don’t know if Harjo was working on the idea before the conversation or not, but it sounds like that’s what brought Taika in.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Have we met Natalie before? I don't recall seeing her in any other episode and I have no idea who her 3 kids are.

LOVED and laughed at the fantasy/real dancing scene. Especially Rita doing the moonwalk.

I'm still confused on how Cookie and Brownie grew up like siblings (that Mabel raised) when we learned in this episode that Cookie was the same age as Teenie, Rita, and Bev. Hell, Brownie looks older than the recently departed Mabel, so I'm still scratching my head how she raised him. Unless I'm completely misremembering and it was Mabel & Brownie that grew up as siblings?

16 hours ago, sunshine2288 said:

That's what kept me from being completely disappointed about Rita/Sam. It was ultimately more important for Teenie and Rita to have the conversation and time together that they did. 

I know you're right, but I still wish Rita had stuck around 30 more seconds to see Sam brush off the woman who was hitting on him. Then she could have had her talk with Teenie. I hope Sam shows up again in later episodes.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:45 PM, luckyroll3 said:

"Avert your eyes ladies! Seminoles can impregnate you with a signal stare."

And then Bev ending up snagging said Seminole! 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

I'm still confused on how Cookie and Brownie grew up like siblings (that Mabel raised) when we learned in this episode that Cookie was the same age as Teenie, Rita, and Bev. Hell, Brownie looks older than the recently departed Mabel, so I'm still scratching my head how she raised him. Unless I'm completely misremembering and it was Mabel & Brownie that grew up as siblings?

I'm a little confused as well.  Given the '70s flashback of Brownie and Bucky's fist fight in the second episode of the season, and Cookie's pre-teen '80s dancing here, it's clear Brownie is from Mabel's generation.  His role in the vigil was also of the older generation.  So perhaps he was speaking more metaphorically about Cookie, and it was Mabel that brought him up.

As for Brownie looking older than Mabel, I'll go out on a limb and say Brownie's lived life a little harder.

Edited by MisterGlass
Typo, error
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2022 at 6:15 AM, pasdetrois said:

One of the executive producers is a Harjo. This family has been notable in native circles for decades. Jo Harjo was the United States Poet Laureate.

I listened to a podcast where EP Sterlin Harjo talked with Poet Laureate Joy Harjo.  Although both are often asked if they are related, they are not.  It apparently is a not uncommon Muscogee name.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 8/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, mytmo said:

The dance sequence that showed what they thought they looked like and what they actually looked like had me laughing so hard!

OMG I died! At first I was like "Wow! How do they all remember that?" and then when it panned to what was actually happening I couldn't stop laughing!!!

On 8/26/2022 at 5:55 AM, Catfi9ht said:

It's so rare to have an all female interaction in a movie or TV show where they're supporting each other and choosing their own paths.

It's such a common thing to want someone else's life because you're viewing it from the outside. You see all the polish but none of the grit. I loved that Teenie and Rita talked it out. Again, a rarity on movies or TV. The "misunderstanding" trope is so outdated. I'm glad we've got entertainment now that's finally moving past some of the terrible tropes.

I didn't love this episode because I missed the kids, but this relationship and argument was so well played. It feels like such a real conflict that is common among friends, and then the bathroom tampon scene and cut to them in the bed, I just loved it. When she said come hold my hair, like they've done this many times before. It's actually moments like this that make me love this show.

And the ending with the doctor in panties in the elevator. Hilarious.

• Love 3

This week's episode had a lot of funny stuff, but what really hit home for me was how the various conflicts and disappointments among the characters played out.

I like that this show doesn't make everything go away in one sweep, but lets it breathe, take little steps and big steps and backslides and sideways. It was sort of like the exercise in guiding the partner-- you aren't sure where it's taking you and you just have to trust it. And it's messy.

• Love 5

Just as I was starting to thaw a little towards Jackie, she issues a threat to Willie Jack. Yeah, WJ said something fucked up but, in her defense, she didn't know Jackie's brother was dead and did apologize when she found out the truth. 

And just as I thought Bear & Elora were starting to work things out, they say even more hurtful stuff to each other. I felt bad for Elora in that empty house all by herself. Distancing herself from her friends right now is the worst thing that can happen.

I was LMAO when the Elder said the greedy whites took the Native's lands and everyone turned to look at White Steve. Also LMAO when the youth group didn't know which way was North, South, East, and West and got themselves tangled up as they turned in all directions. 

Also hilarious when Bev said she wasn't eating the food because she snagged the cook's husband and son, so Rita immediately spit out the food. 

I loved that White Steve knew the steps to the potato dance and did really well keeping in step with Willie Jack. I was sure he and WJ would win, and was surprised to see Bear & Jackie held out longer and won. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 6

And just as I thought Bear & Elora were starting to work things out, they say even more hurtful stuff to each other. I felt bad for Elora in that empty house all by herself. Distancing herself from her friends right now is the worst thing that can happen.

It seemed like Elora and Daniel were in a similar position of not having much support in their home lives. So when Daniel died she not only lost one of her closest friends but the person who understood what it was like to essentially be alone. That's what I don't think Bear understands. Even when his Dad disappointed him by failing to show up, he still had his Mom there waiting to comfort and love him. 

And until Bear can see that it wasn't about Elora simply ditching him then I'm not sure they'll work things out very quickly.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Also LMAO when the youth group didn't know which way was North, South, East, and West and got themselves tangled up as they turned in all directions. 

While still trying to all hold hands, love it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Took me a second to place Amber Midthunder as "MissMa8riach" (yes, that's how it is spelled, apparently!)  Remember first seeing her way back on Legion, but I'm hoping the success of Prey will lead to even bigger things for her in the future.  Her character and the whole seminar was hilarious.  Props to all of the actors for their spot-on reaction shots and facial acting to all of that extra-ness!

Painful, but realistic to see Elora and Bear at odds like they are.  I think both of them have valid points and their friendship is real, but like a lot of people in their position (and age), they struggle with communication and sometimes let their pride dictate things instead.  I'm optimistic they will work things out, but I can see it getting worse before it gets better.

Can't say the same for Willie Jack and Jackie though!  Even if WJ's actions were out of loyalty towards Bear, she really has antagonized Jackie to the point that I'm not sure she can walk it back.  Granted, I don't think Jackie ever apologized for the hell she put the gang through in the past, so she's not a completely innocent victim here either.

Cheese's "I feel very uncomfortable right now" got the biggest laugh for me.  Oh, Cheese!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Can't say the same for Willie Jack and Jackie though!  Even if WJ's actions were out of loyalty towards Bear, she really has antagonized Jackie to the point that I'm not sure she can walk it back.  Granted, I don't think Jackie ever apologized for the hell she put the gang through in the past, so she's not a completely innocent victim here either.

Cheese's "I feel very uncomfortable right now" got the biggest laugh for me.  Oh, Cheese!

Yes on both fronts. I think the writers need to acknowledge where the animosity towards Jackie comes from. I see they've just forgiven White Steve but she was the ringleader. Willie Jack is holding out and I get that. Then she tried to apologise and Jackie was having none of it. But Willie Jack - dropping someone in a trust fall - that's brutal.

Cheese pointed it out - "Everyone here is having fun except you". 

• Love 5