Type keyword(s) to search

ESPN

• Start Topic

Stephen A. Smith gets a week suspension.

I know I'm behind the times, but I still can't believe he said something so completely boneheaded. I mean, Lord knows the man talks out of his behind as often as he talks out of his mouth, (I can watch that video of him admitting that he was wrong about the 'Hawks all day long.) but saying that women shouldn't provoke men into hitting them made me honestly hate him a little bit. And to see him only get a week suspension? I thoroughly doubt ESPN would have said boo if there hadn't been a fair amount of controversy. 

I like sports and I actually do enjoy watching a lot of ESPN's commentary, but folks like Smith really encourage me to find other sports channels.

To be fair, though, ESPN also employs Keith Olbermann, who has been outspokenly critical of the NFL's actions every night this week. Last night, he called on Goodell to resign, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say about Rice's statements today.

The SEC Network launched yesterday. Greg McElroy (Alabama alumn) and Tim Tebow (Florida alumn) are hosts. Is it trolling on ESPN and co. that the first thing that they show is the 2009 SEC championship featuring a sobbing Tim who lost at the hands of McElroy?

Couldn't ESPN have showed the Hot Dog Eating Contest live on ESPN 2 or something?  Why just limit the live broadcast to streaming on WatchESPN?

I know it's silly and not really a sport, but it's a fun part of Fourth of July on TV.  Not so much of a party/BBQ thing on the computer.

It's a bloodbath. I'm shocked and sad that they let Jayson Stark. He's one of the better baseball guys that ESPN had and a very good writer.  I'm sure he'll get picked up by MLB Network or FS1 shortly.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm surprised they didn't do this no day after the draft with as many football guys they let go.  Also in guessing they'll just completely stop pretending that they care about covering hockey.

Pretty bold move to break up the Mikes. I usually listen to their show in the morning but I definitely won't be following Greeny  to TV and probably won't stick around for Golic, Junior and Trey.

• Love 1

And, now John Clayton, via Sporting News:

NFL insider John "The Professor" Clayton is leaving ESPN as part of the sweeping layoffs at the Worldwide Leader in Sports, sources tell Sporting News. ESPN and Clayton both declined SN's request for comment, but Clayton confirmed his status in a tweet Wednesday afternoon.

Clayton is still talking NFL with an ESPN connection. He has his own weekday radio show on 710 ESPN KIRO Seattle. The AM sports radio station is not owned by ESPN, however. It's owned by Bonneville International and licenses the ESPN name.

Watching Mike & Mike right now and Booger McFarland is on talking about the Redskins/Chiefs game, and in referring to the point spread, he mentioned how "happy" the people in Vegas were.  He clearly wasn't thinking, considering what's just happened there.

• Love 2

Sports Illustrated is reporting that there will be another major round of layoffs after Thanksgiving. 

I don't see how they can cut their way out of this. They'll still be paying billions for rights and people aren't going to stop cutting the cord.

(edited)

That Get Up show on ESPN is just AWFUL!  Michelle Beadle is basically doing the same shtick she does (did?) on Sports Nation, snarking on stupid Youtube videos; Jalen Rose shows too many teeth when he talks; Booger--well, the name speaks for itself; and Greeny is still Greeny--annoying.

I'm really pissed because I like Golic and Wingo and now I can't get them because I don't get ESPNews.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

As recently as a couple years ago, the tickers at the bottom of the screen on ESPN channels used to give useful information like who had the ball and on what yard line for football, or a quick graphic for baseball that showed how many outs and how many were on base.  (FOX Sports also recently stopped listing this on their tickers.)  Does it somehow save them millions of dollars to not offer this info anymore?  I know I could look it up online, but why do they even have tickers if they seemingly don't care if anyone reads them? 

• Love 2

So, today was interesting for two reasons: One, ESPN 2 is branding as ESPN 8 ("The Ocho") from Dodgeball. Showing the kind of programs that used to fill the hours in the early days of the network like: Marble racing, Lawn Mower racing, The world Tram Driving championships, Robot fighting and the Ideal Electricians National Championship.

Two, the AC was out in the studio for Highly Questionable, and it was fascinating to see LeBatard sweat through his shirt.

• Useful 1

Horrible Grand Slam tennis coverage as always. If you like to watch people play tennis, forget it. If you like to watch people talk about tennis, you’ll love it.

• Love 2

I was watching Highly Questionable today and Dan LeBatard spent about five minutes bloviating about the evils of football.  Well, Dan, you get paid for reporting on it, so will you give up your salary by refusing to do so from now on?  I doubt it.  Blowhard.  I love Papi and the guests, but Dan can suck it. 

• Love 1

Michael Jordan : The LAST DANCE 10-Part Documentary

SCHEDULE*
Sunday, April 19, 9 PM ET -- Episodes 1 and 2
Sunday, April 26, 9 PM ET -- Episodes 3 and 4
Sunday, May 3, 9 PM ET -- Episodes 5 and 6
Sunday, May 10, 9 PM ET -- Episodes 7 and 8
Sunday, May 17, 9 PM ET -- Episodes 9 and 10

*Encore showings of the previous week's episodes will air at 7 PM ET

With the entire nation quarantined, ESPN has chose to air the documentary starting on Sunday, moving up significantly from its originally scheduled June air date.

"The Last Dance" focuses on the Chicago Bulls' 1997-98 season but also goes in depth on Jordan's legendary career.

The documentary delivers never-before-seen footage and anecdotes from Jordan's former coaches, teammates and friends, along with unprecedented access to No. 23 himself, who is notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to media.

The documentary that runs on ESPN will feature "strong adult language," while an alternate, edited version of each episode will run simultaneously on ESPN2.

I did not see Michael Jordan's collegiate career but did watch him during his professional career.  I never rooted for the Bulls but I appreciated Jordan's skill and dedication.  His charisma on the court was undeniable and I did cheer for him and the Dream team when they played in the 1992 Olympics so this series interests me.

Edited by RealityCheck

I am loving The Last Dance.  I grew up with a father who was really big into Chicago sports.  I have many memories of my dad sitting in the kitchen watching TV and yelling at the players, whether it be the Bears, Bulls or Cubs.  He passed last year, so watching this has been a feeling of mixed emotions, it just brings me back to those years when I was home and I get both sad and happy.  And even though I know how the games ended, watching the replays gives me the same butterflies as we did when watching them live.  Due to the cost of the tickets, I only went to one Bulls game when MJ played and he was AMAZING to watch.  Due to him, the Bulls won after three overtimes, it was just such an awesome game and I'll never forget it.  I'm so happy my dad was able to see the Bears, Bulls and Cubs all win championships in his lifetime.  

Having said that, a local Chicago sportscaster brought up that MJ seems to have problems letting go of grudges and is still pretty angry about situations after all these years.  He really does/did seems to focus on the small stuff, but I guess that's why he was great, he was able to internalize all of it and use it.

ESPN is changing their radio line up and July 31st is the last day for Golic and Wingo. Mike Golic will be covering college football. I think this stinks considering Golic allowed his home to be used as a studio. Golic has received many compliments from current and former ESPN staff. Mike Greenburg has been silent.

• Love 1

I actually like Golic on the radio and feel bad for him. Things have gone downhill for him ever since the Mikes made the broadcast HOF.  I still remember his first appearance on Mike and Mike after ESPN and Greeny blindsided him with the split and lineup change. 

And my guess is that his new role as college football analyst is going to be second or third rate P5 games or Big West type games.

• Love 2

It looks like ESPN stopped showing KBO (Korean baseball) in the overnight hours.  The ratings probably weren't great, especially after MLB returned, but this seemed rather abrupt!  They could have at least made some type of announcement, but I've found nothing.  As many pointed out online, the broadcasts tried to have as little focus on the games/teams involved as possible; it was all about the daily guests.  I usually had it muted and would look at it occasionally while using the computer.  I did notice one day that, while the home team had a rally going in the bottom of the 9th, they suddenly had Tim Kirkjian pop up.  He had a very stern and somber look on his face, so I presumed that he was talking about the Reds' outbreak of the time and was telling everyone how baseball was doomed, but couldn't he have been on earlier in the broadcast?  It was irritating.

ETA: Now on the ticker they just promoted a KBO game that they are showing tonight, even though it wasn't on for several days last week.  Maybe all the announcers were on vacation for Labor Day Weekend?

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added that game is scheduled.

Tonight I went to ESPNU to look at the ticker (because it never gets taken down like it does during certain ad breaks on the main 2 ESPN channels) and the guide just said "To Be Announced."  They were showing something where kids and young adults (in separate competitions) were racing each other to the top of a slippery staircase.  I know they've shown some unusual programming this year, but that was a new one!

I like Pablo Torre filling in this week for Michael Wilbon on Pardon the Interruption.  I like the banter between "old" Kornheiser and "young" Pablo and I wish they were a permanent team.  I used to like Wilbon but it seems lately he's gotten too bombastic and argumentative.   

• Love 3
On 8/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, Crashcourse said:

I used to like Wilbon but it seems lately he's gotten too bombastic and argumentative.   

Same. He zoomed past Kornheiser for the "get off my lawn" title. He's dismissive of any innovation in any sport over the last couple of decades. And his continued willful ignorance is not a good look.

• Love 3

Earlier this week, Tony K made some news by being critical of the NBA…the money…and how it got “disappointing” ratings in spite of.  Since ESPN seems to be about the NBA a good bit of the time, I wondered if there would be fallout.  Then I tuned for his show and see Wilbon with a guest co-host.  Did he mention why Tony was not there? It would not be the first time he has been given “time-off” … not counting the Hannah Storm debacle.  

I have loved Tony for ages, starting with his early years at The Washington Post. I also know that he does not fit the demographic that the network covets.  He and Wilbon are like an old married couple; they don’t really click with other cohosts. I also think they get pretty good ratings.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Earlier this week, Tony K made some news by being critical of the NBA…the money…and how it got “disappointing” ratings in spite of.  Since ESPN seems to be about the NBA a good bit of the time, I wondered if there would be fallout.  Then I tuned for his show and see Wilbon with a guest co-host.  Did he mention why Tony was not there? It would not be the first time he has been given “time-off” … not counting the Hannah Storm debacle.  

I have loved Tony for ages, starting with his early years at The Washington Post. I also know that he does not fit the demographic that the network covets.  He and Wilbon are like an old married couple; they don’t really click with other cohosts. I also think they get pretty good ratings.

TK's alright.  He had the end of the week scheduled off.  At least that's what he said on his podcast.  He's really careful about not getting sent on "vacation" since the Hannah Storm thing.  Which is kinda too bad - at least for podcast entertainment value. 

• Love 1

Jackie Mac made her final ESPN appearance on Around the Horn this afternoon. Reali turned the game into a roast, turning off her mike and letting the other contestants take good natured shots at her. For the showdown they brought back her fellow former Globe columnist Bob Ryan. She won, of course, and then they retired her "number" 258 (games won.)

It was really nice.

• Love 5

I finally caught PTI20. I brought back so many memories. Statboy, the Hateable Dan LeBatard, the goofy skits. . . 

I understand that it was a history of ESPN as much as the show itself, but I really thought they should have mentioned George Michaels, the local DC sports reporter. He (or his producer) was the first put on air as a team as panelists on his weekly WFT and Wizards shows. I'm sure that played a role in the decision to greenlight PTI.

• Love 2

Today when PTI came back from the final commercial break, it was the last segment from yesterday's show instead.  I kept flipping back to see if someone would figure it out, and I guess it was finally fixed in the last 30 seconds or so.  How weird.  I wonder if it will be fixed on the repeats.

ETA:  The correct segment aired on the ESPNEWS repeat at 3:30.

Edited by KWalkerInc
  • Love 1