Type keyword(s) to search

Volleyball and Beach Volleyball

• Start Topic

US women's is volleyball looking pretty good.  This has nothing to do with anything, but it seems that half of the women's starting lineup is named Jordan.  The announcers have started using nicknames. 

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, SophiaD said:

US women's is volleyball looking pretty good.  This has nothing to do with anything, but it seems that half of the women's starting lineup is named Jordan.  The announcers have started using nicknames. 

They do have 3 Jordans (one is a Jordyn) that start, so quite often they do have all 3 on the court at one time. 

I used to play recreational coed volleyball - One year I was on a team with a Mark Clark,  a Clark Parker, and another guy named Mark. It did get confusing!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Someone want to explain that challenge situation?

The ball was correctly called out the first time. The US challenged and won. The Canadians then appealed, and the review showed that they were right -- the ball was clearly out. The Americans then tried to argue the point further with the referee and drew a yellow card penalty, which resulted in their actually being docked a point. End of story.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

The ball was correctly called out the first time. The US challenged and won. The Canadians then appealed, and the review showed that they were right -- the ball was clearly out. The Americans then tried to argue the point further with the referee and drew a yellow card penalty, which resulted in their actually being docked a point. End of story.

I thought the first time we saw the replay, the ball was clearly out.  The indentation of the ball in sand seemed obvious.  No part of the ball hit the tape.  

What I didn’t realise is that a team can appeal a  reviewed decision.  But I guess it’s allowed, and once it was clear, the American should have shut up.  Instead she just kept arguing.   

I’m sure Claes and Sponcil will continue to insist they got robbed, but the cameras don’t back them up.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I thought the first time we saw the replay, the ball was clearly out.  The indentation of the ball in sand seemed obvious.  No part of the ball hit the tape.  

What I didn’t realise is that a team can appeal a  reviewed decision.  But I guess it’s allowed, and once it was clear, the American should have shut up.  Instead she just kept arguing.   

I’m sure Claes and Sponcil will continue to insist they got robbed, but the cameras don’t back them up.

I didn't know either that you can challenge a challenge either.  I agree that the all looked clearly out, and I was surprised it was called in after review the first time.  Can a manager in baseball challenge instant replay if they don't like the call?  You would presume that the video reviewer made the right call in the first place, why would they change their mind a second time?  But clearly that's what happened here.

Seems like the Canadian challenged by pointing to the ball mark in the sand, since you could hear the US saying that she pointed to the wrong ball mark.  So maybe that's what allowed the new challenge?  

Since I don't watch much beach volleyball, another thing that I seem to have learned is that when you challenge, you have to say what you're challenging.  Net fault, ball out, touched on a block,  etc.  You can't just say "I want a challenge".  You have to say "she touched the ball on the block (and that's why my spike went out)", rather than "check to see if my ball hit the line".  

Just watched the great Phil Dalhausser perhaps in his last match of his career?  Qatar just seemed to have more energy and striking the ball with authority.  Too many service errors by the US, soft finesse hits that were easily defended, etc.  Seemed like Qatar made it a point to serve the weaker Lucena and he just couldn't deliver consistently.  

Tonight's games are really highlighting how dominant Pavan & Humana-Paredes were yesterday.  The American/German game was a weird one where the Germans never really looked like they could win (even when ahead), but the Americans couldn't put them away.

1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Tonight's games are really highlighting how dominant Pavan & Humana-Paredes were yesterday.  The American/German game was a weird one where the Germans never really looked like they could win (even when ahead), but the Americans couldn't put them away.

Until they did.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, SeanC said:

And the Swiss win via missed serve.

That's gotta be just about the worst way to lose.

And Take 2. I mean, the Americans victory was never really in doubt, but you hate to see it end that way.

• Love 2

Congrats to the A Team!  So happy for them, especially for April getting the elusive gold.    They were just dominant.  Was hoping that they'd win gold on an April Ross spike, but I'm sure they're happy to see the ball go into the net.  I'm surprised there wasn't more athletes/staff/etc in the stands.  Too hot?

April Ross' bikini bottom doesn't really fit right.  The top of her butt crack was pretty much showing the entire tournament.

I broke a finger once in high school volleyball gym class when I blocked a spike.  How do these pros avoid broken fingers, sprained fingers, etc.?  Their hands are spread wide apart and it's not like their fingers are taped together.

• Love 3

I'm watching indoor volleyball and these announcers clearly don't know what to do when the game is getting into blowout territory, because USA was up 24-15 and they kept hyping up Serbia that they were making a comeback for the set and were gaining momentum for scoring three points in a row.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm watching indoor volleyball and these announcers clearly don't know what to do when the game is getting into blowout territory, because USA was up 24-15 and they kept hyping up Serbia that they were making a comeback for the set and were gaining momentum for scoring three points in a row.

I disagree.  They were already saying that the US was going to win the set and it was a foregone conclusion.  Yeah, it's probably unlikely that Serbia would win 9 points in a row.  At least three times they made a comment like "Serbia can't be happy to have lost the first set, but they should be encouraged by the play of <big tall hitter>" and "They may have lost the first set, but this is far from over because this Serbia team is strong and can still win."

Then of course Serbia goes on a mini run and then Karch had to call the timeout.

8 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

I disagree.  They were already saying that the US was going to win the set and it was a foregone conclusion.  Yeah, it's probably unlikely that Serbia would win 9 points in a row.  At least three times they made a comment like "Serbia can't be happy to have lost the first set, but they should be encouraged by the play of <big tall hitter>" and "They may have lost the first set, but this is far from over because this Serbia team is strong and can still win."

Then of course Serbia goes on a mini run and then Karch had to call the timeout.

That really has no right to make me laugh as much as it does. Lol. 

I'm watching the men's gold-medal match in beach volleyball now, and I agree with everyone's points about the uniforms. If the women have to compete in  glorified bikinis, the men should have to compete wearing nothing but Speedos and a smile. It's not as though they don't have the bodies to pull it off, after all!

• Love 3

I didn't expect to get as emotional about the USA Women's Volleyball gold as I did, but once I saw Karch get choked up about it in the pre-game interview, I was a goner, and then in full waterworks at their win. I love how passionate he is about the sport and the team. I can't really imagine an Olympics without him! One of my original Olympic Gods, and my mom and I always liked to point him out:

1988: Hey! It's Karch again! Remember Karch?

1996: Karch is back again! He's on the beach now!

2012: Aww, ol' Karch is back as a coach now! Yay Coach Karch!

That's such a long amazing legacy for the sport, and to cap off this already-fraught and emotional Games with the first US Women's win is just absolutely huge! 

• Love 5

Larson was so overcome with emotion she basically collapsed on the court after she scored. Kudos to the team for taking it one point at a time and not letting the weight of the moment get to them. 

Also, I didn't notice until after the final that 3/4 of the team came from Big Ten schools. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Iseut said:

I didn't expect to get as emotional about the USA Women's Volleyball gold as I did, but once I saw Karch get choked up about it in the pre-game interview, I was a goner, and then in full waterworks at their win. I love how passionate he is about the sport and the team. I can't really imagine an Olympics without him! One of my original Olympic Gods, and my mom and I always liked to point him out:

1988: Hey! It's Karch again! Remember Karch?

1996: Karch is back again! He's on the beach now!

2012: Aww, ol' Karch is back as a coach now! Yay Coach Karch!

That's such a long amazing legacy for the sport, and to cap off this already-fraught and emotional Games with the first US Women's win is just absolutely huge! 

Oh, I love Karch and I loved him choking up talking about wanting to see them win the gold medal. I met him once after a pre-Olympic match (1996) and even though they had just played 4 tough sets he was still very gracious talking to all the fans.  (I also met Bob Ctvrtlik who lit up when I asked him about Pepperdine!)

• Love 1