Type keyword(s) to search

Equestrian

• Start Topic

I'm disappointed no one has commented on the equestrian events.  It took some doing to navigate Peacock but I was finally able to find them.  Dressage is always interesting watch and figure out, but the horses are all beautiful. I find it fascinating and love that men and women compete together.  I am little annoyed that the woman commentator is so difficult to hear.  I'm depending on close captioning to figure out what is being said.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

i love it but i have been not grabbing some of the events. (not available on the stream for me)

Dressage is available on replay on the CBC app (probably the websire too), if you go to Schedule, then pick Equestrian. It is the only one there though.

21 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Dressage is available on replay on the CBC app (probably the websire too), if you go to Schedule, then pick Equestrian. It is the only one there though.

hm. when i checked it it was probably too early. thanksies

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

hm. when i checked it it was probably too early. thanksies

You're welcome, Yeah, sometimes it takes them a while. The other day I missed something on TV and waited impatiently for them to put the replay up on the site.

I usually love it, but this Olympics has come at a really busy time at work and the time different is killing my viewing. I get home in the evening and have four hours to watch before bed, while I’m figuring out dinner. I’m hoping this weekend I can just put on and let it go for hours and catch some dressage and show jumping. 

I still can't figure out what event is on what station.  I don't have Peacock and the Olympics Channel seems to be all tennis.  That leaves NBC which God forbid shows anything that isn't mainstream.  Whatevs.  I'm very happy that the US medalled in dressage.   That's quite a feat to beat Carl Hester and Charlotte DuJardin.  I can only hope SOME cross country is shown somewhere...

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I still can't figure out what event is on what station.  I don't have Peacock and the Olympics Channel seems to be all tennis.  That leaves NBC which God forbid shows anything that isn't mainstream.  Whatevs.  I'm very happy that the US medalled in dressage.   That's quite a feat to beat Carl Hester and Charlotte DuJardin.  I can only hope SOME cross country is shown somewhere...

that's what i keep looking for - the Cross country!!
congrats to you guys for winning in dressage. that's fantastic. 

(edited)

Supposedly, Dressage final is on NBC Sports, either now (1:45 local Central to 3:45) or 2:45 to 4:45 pm Central.  Since there are a couple of men bashing a ping pong ball, I suspect it's actually 2:45.   

(It actually ran on NBC Sports from 2:45 to just before 4:00).  

I have found the websites for NBC Olympics to be worthless.        Cross country supposedly will air 1 August, Sunday (the replay) at 12:30 p.m. on NBC Sports channel. and reruns at 11 p.m. Central on Sunday night, also on NBC Sports.   The live stream or Peacock coverage is on Saturday about 5:45 p.m. Central, but I have no clue how to watch that, and I'm not even going to try.     I'm guessing it's a live stream, and some is at 3 a.m., live but I guess that's early Sunday morning. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Does anybody know what happened when the Australian Andrew Hoy was on the cross country course? I was watching but had to switch over to watch the female Aussie compete in the BMX Freestyle final, so was following Cross Country on the Olympic website and started to notice Hoy was get penalties that didn't stop. When I switched back to the Cross Country the commentators just said his penalties would be reset and the stop watch re-started. And there was a sign saying course on hold. But they didn't tell me exactly what happened, and google isn't helping. The best I can think of is that a dog was running around on the course. Haha

Sadly Jet Set ridden by the Swiss rider Godel, was injured, and later euthanized.     The hold was to help the rider and horse, and van the horse off in the veterinary ambulance trailer.    

The hold on course didn't penalize Andrew Hoy, and his time was reset at the moment the hold occurred.   

They're showing the NBC Sports rerun of Cross Country at 12:30 pm today (central time), and the rerun of the stadium jumping tomorrow at 1 p.m. central on NBC Sports.    The NBC Sports, and NBC broadcasts had Melanie Smith Taylor.   

The commentators on my online feed was Lucinda Green.     I think the network has little control over the feed, and what is shown, so the commentators are remote, and doing this spontaneously.   It could have been worse, with some of the other commentators who rode at international level, but not eventing.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Lucinda Green is doing commentary for the generic Olympic Broadcasting Services feed, not for NBC or Seven or whoever else. So while the vision is being mixed live and she's commenting on that (probably either from her home or from the OBS headquarters in Madrid), broadcasters are given the option to take a feed with her commentary or commentators in other languages, provide their own commentators, or have no commentary at all, as well as having the option of sending additional cameras for locally-relevant things (eg post-event interviews, though OBS gets the right to the first interview of each gold medalist).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/4/2021 at 7:14 AM, icemiser69 said:

As far as the events themselves go, it seems like the horses do all of the work.,   The horses deserve the medals, and their riders deserve participation trophies.

It's a lot more complicated than that.  The riders have to figure out the timing for the jumps, how to approach each one based on their horses' jumping styles and temperament, and a hundred other little things.  Yes, ultimately the jumping is on the horse, but getting them to the fences in a position to jump cleanly is the rider.

That final course for the individual show jumping was insanely hard.  I'm a bit surprised that anyone managed to get through it with no faults at all.

• Love 8

As far as the events themselves go, it seems like the horses do all of the work.,   The horses deserve the medals, and their riders deserve participation trophies.

If that was the case, then the horses could be sent out to do the course without riders and we could expect the same result.  Riding a horse in an event like this is not a passive activity, the riders have gone over the course bit by bit many times, they know their horse and how he/she does with various challenges and adapts the way they ride the course to try to optimize the horse' performance.

Same reason why there are jockeys on the horses in the Kentucky Derby.  In the equestrian events, there is a real beauty and elegance to watching horse and rider work together.

• Love 10
On 8/4/2021 at 6:14 AM, icemiser69 said:

I really don't like the Olympics, but I was flipping channels and I stumbled across some of the equestrian events.  I love horses.  I cringe every time I saw them jump.  I am afraid that a horse is going to get hurt.  I watched a few minutes and changed the channel.

You have obviously never ridden a horse.  It's work.  It engages your abs, legs and arms.  It increases rider's respiration.  Your brain is working 100 miles an hour.  Don't diss until you've done it.

• Love 12

if that's what it seems like, it means their riders are doing their jobs correctly. 
but believe me, no - the riders do not deserve "participation trophies". 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

You have obviously never ridden a horse.  It's work.  It engages your abs, legs and arms.  It increases rider's respiration.  Your brain is working 100 miles an hour.  Don't diss until you've done it.

Watching the equestrian events at the Olympics is just another level.  The horses, some of the best in the world, being ridden by some of the most skilled riders in the world; it is poetry in motion.  You cannot watch it without appreciating how hard both horse and rider are working and how effortless they make it seem.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Watching the equestrian events at the Olympics is just another level.  The horses, some of the best in the world, being ridden by some of the most skilled riders in the world; it is poetry in motion.  You cannot watch it without appreciating how hard both horse and rider are working and how effortless they make it seem.

And if you want to see how hard it is, watch the riding section of the Modern Pentathlon where they're riding unfamiliar horses and have to hope that they don't pick one who turns out to be a stubborn bastard.  (yes, I'm pissed that Irish athlete Natalya Coyle dropped from 4th to 19th because her horse wouldn't co-operate)

• Love 3

I feel bad for Jessica Springsteen because as accomplished as she is in her sport, media coverage always identifies her as Bruce's daughter.

And I really feel bad for the team because their performance in winning a medal is totally eclipsed by coverage of her and her father. It's like Jessica and some other people won silver.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I feel bad for Jessica Springsteen because as accomplished as she is in her sport, media coverage always identifies her as Bruce's daughter.

And I really feel bad for the team because their performance in winning a medal is totally eclipsed by coverage of her and her father. It's like Jessica and some other people won silver.

And, it does seem like she tried her best to keep the conversation away from her family and on the competition. Some media types were griping about there being a 'double standard' because they were allowed to ask questions about the early years and upbringing of every competitor except Jessica, who declined to answer any questions about her family and whose only remarks about her parents were that they had always been very supportive of her riding competitively and were thrilled when she made the team.  The end.  You know, like every other parent of an Olympic athlete.

Bruce has also chosen not to share his thoughts on his daughter with the world, either. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

And if you want to see how hard it is, watch the riding section of the Modern Pentathlon where they're riding unfamiliar horses and have to hope that they don't pick one who turns out to be a stubborn bastard.  (yes, I'm pissed that Irish athlete Natalya Coyle dropped from 4th to 19th because her horse wouldn't co-operate)

my friend was telling me this - this german person went from 1st to 30th because her horse refused to jump anything.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'll show myself out...

Blazing Saddles was my first thought when I heard that story, too.  I'll hold the door for you.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

a friend of mine breeds Arabians and judges horse show events.  I mentioned to him that if Jessica Springsteen wasn't there, we wouldn't have gotten any equestrian event coverage.  Congrats to the American team for their silver in team jumping.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Linderhill said:

a friend of mine breeds Arabians and judges horse show events.  I mentioned to him that if Jessica Springsteen wasn't there, we wouldn't have gotten any equestrian event coverage.  Congrats to the American team for their silver in team jumping.  

In my recent experience, there’s been pretty decent coverage of dressage and jumping in the last several Olympics, at least since they expanded Olympic coverage to several channels and have been looking for events to fill air time. Maybe there was a little more promotion of it this year due to her participation.

• Love 1