Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

It's Friday night after a long week, so I'm taking the easy way out for dinner:  Deli fried chicken and bakery mini cupcakes with not a green vegetable in sight.  It's back to the healthy eating tomorrow, though.

• Love 1

Last night I made black bean enchiladas with a ranchero sauce. I was going to cheat and use canned sauce, but I discovered a couple of dried New Mexico chilies in my pantry so I decided to follow the recipe and make the ranchero sauce.  It was really good, and there was enough that I froze some enchiladas for a future easy meal.'

Tonight I'm grilling chicken drumsticks after they've been marinating in a olive oil, lemon juice, garlic marinade for a several hours. Also on the grill is sliced zucchini.  On the side I'm also making Esquites, which is a Mexican corn dish, although I'm using parmesan cheese instead of the Cotija cheese the recipe calls for.  

• Love 2

I made grilled "Chicago style" hot dogs for Memorial Day yesterday.  It has a relish of cucumber, red pepper and various spice, plus dill pickle, onion and a slice of tomato.  Potato chips and baby carrots on the side.   Tonight I'm making penne with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil.   It's hot here again and I don't want to heat up the kitchen much (although we do have air conditioning, I'd like to keep its use to a minimum to cut down on the power bill).   

• Love 4

I'm pulling all the meat off of the leftover ribs I cooked on Monday.  Shredding it up and making pulled pork sandwiches. The macaroni salad that went with the ribs has already been scarfed up, despite making way too much of that just like I did with the ribs, so it'll probably be a green salad and maybe some sort of frozen corn or other quick side.  We need to go back out tonight to the school music and art display tonight (the 3rd grader will have one of her art projects on display), so it needs to be quick and easy.

• Love 2

Yesterday I marinated a pork tenderloin that I bought at Trader Joe's (first time I've ever bought meat there).  The marinade was made with TJ's Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and fresh lemon juice.  First of all, that pork tenderloin is wonderful...not tough at all (like pork chops have been the past year); secondly, the flavor from that marinade was delicious.  The only thing I don't like about vacuum-packed meats is that awful odor you can't help noticing when you open the package.  With chicken, IMO it permanently permeates and I can taste it no matter what I marinated the chicken in.  With pork, I don't notice it once I've marinated and cooked it. So grilled pork tenderloin and some baked potatoes with sour cream, and chives from my deck container garden, and a salad.  I don't think I'd use that Sesame Soy Ginger dressing on a salad but I'm going to use it a lot for marinades.

@Alenore:  Those Chicago-style hot dogs you made sound just like the way Mr. P914 fixes his hot dogs (he lived in Chicago in his early IBM days & loves hot dogs w/ everything on them).  I'd never heard of such toppings and thought he was nuts.  So, now I know those wild hot dogs are for real.

• Love 2

No cooking for me today. Hubby is out of town. My 5 year old is only eating whole grain bread with marmalade (he loves the paddington movie) I had fresh pineapple with tajin(chili con limon) so yummy and refreshing on a hot day.

• Love 1
(edited)

Last night's dinner was pork tacos.

With lettuce tomatoes radishes and guacamole with mango.

I had never made my guacamole with mango before it was really good. I know it's been around but I'm usually a purist with my guacamole.

Tonight it's salmon I have some Kerry gold garlic herb butter so I'll use that. I also plan on making fresh green beans.

That the plan anyways.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

I made chicken fried rice last night with enough leftovers for tonight's dinner.  Son's lunch eliminated that plan (in all fairness, leftovers are generally fair game for lunches unless I make a point of saying they are going to be dinner and I did not mention that).

So Plan B is....TBD.

• Love 2

Today I am having a steak and a sliced tomato.  One meal for the day.  It is a fabulous way to take off 2-3 pounds and you awake feeling light and alert.  I do this from time to time after a day or two of indulging when I feel bloated.   Works like a charm.  

• Love 3

Yesterday I bought a couple of organic, free range ribeye steaks at the local farmers' market. They were pretty expensive, but I only have steak occasionally so I decided to try some.   I had one last night (the other I left frozen).  It was really great, very tender and juicy.   On the side I had rousted potato wedges, sliced tomatoes and green salad with arugula and strawberries.   Looking forward to having the other steak for a future meal.  I've been buying local vegetables at the farmers market for years, but have never bought the meats there due to the price. I don't think I'll be buying all my meats there, but I think I might at least try a chicken next week.   

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm roasting chicken thighs w/mushrooms and artichokes hearts.

I don't mind turning on the oven today the high is only supposed to 58!

I feel like I'm freezing.

*Waves @wings707*

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

I'm not a big fan of beef - some things I really like (steak, hamburger), the rest I don't.  So I don't eat steak very often, either.  When I do, sometimes it's filet mignon (my exception to "Boneless? Get out of here"), maybe T-bone, but usually it's rib-eye.  Just delicious. 

I have two in my freezer, and now you have my craving one.  I'm going to my parents' house for dinner tonight, though, and I have no idea what's on the menu.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a recipe I found on the bag of avocados I bought at Costco: chili-lime grilled prawn skewers over avocado-feta salsa. 

• Love 3

I'm roasting chicken thighs w/mushrooms and artichokes hearts.

I don't mind turning on the oven today the high is only supposed to 58!

I feel like I'm freezing.

*Waves @wings707*

Wow, where to you live?  In the mountains? 

(edited)

Wow, where to you live? In the mountains?

Nope. Lol, In northern Ohio yesterday it was 85 degrees now, rainy and damn cold! I'm not happy:(

Edited by imjagain
(edited)

Half of a filet (3.5oz), fried tomatoes, salad, wheat roll

Yogurt covered pretzels

Bad BYAM. But had bran flakes for breakfast and a mini organic bag of popcorn and strawberries for lunch.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

Dinner for me was a take-out hamburger from a family restaurant with a name connected with fruit and a flying insect. Big, big mistake.  Would have done better at the Golden Arches.

Could have been worse, though.  Earlier this evening I saw Andrew Zimmern eating rats in Vietnam.

• Love 2

Zucchini casserole, followed by frozen yogurt

What is in this zucchini casserole?  I just stuck some zucchini seeds in the ground. If history is any indicator, I will be requiring zucchini recipes in approximately 65 days.

• Love 1

What is in this zucchini casserole?

Family recipe of sorts -- preheat the oven to 350.  Wash and cube the zucchini, then mix it with salt/ pepper, olive oil, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.  Put in a baking dish and top with a little more bread crumbs/ Parmesan, then bake for 45 minutes or so, until the zucchini is soft.  Works nicely as a side dish with pasta or other Italian food, or just as dinner if you are me!

• Love 1

Slowcooked turkey drumsticks with zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes served over "detox salad" from Whole Foods (basically a mix of broccoli, cauliflower, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, carrots, currants and a few other ingredients).  Too lazy to make a side dish - LOL!

• Love 1

Deconstructed Eggplant Parmigiana.  I fried eggplant slices (that I'd dipped in egg then panko that had parmesan & garlic powder mixed in) in olive oil & drained. Then placed the slices on a cookie sheet in the oven (325) and placed a piece of fresh mozzarella on top of each slice & also sprinkled some grated parmigiana-reggiano over the slices. Opened a jar of Trader Joe's Arrabbiatta sauce (added a tsp of sugar) and heated it while cooking spaghetti.  So we put the spaghetti on our plates, then added some eggplant slices (oh, they were so nice & golden crunchy!) and then ladled sauce over the eggplant and spaghetti. This was a big hit at Chez P914.

• Love 4

Last night dinner was marinated boneless skinless chicken thighs the marinade was lemon juice/zest olive oil and herbs DE Provence. And grilled zucchini.

Tonight will probably be turkey burgers and kale salad.

• Love 2

Dinner Last night, - leftover linguini, some breakfast sausages, sundried tomatoes and grated cheese.  Not too bad.   I have a box of frozen breakfast sausages from Omaha steaks in the freezer,   They're already cooked, just need to be zapped in the microwave, very versatile.

dinner tonight - Bahama Breeze for tropical food and cocktails.   Celebrating wedding anniversary. 

Yeah, I'm not  much into cooking this week

• Love 4
(edited)

Last night I made a variation on the old chicken divan casserole with the leftovers I had from roasting a chicken earlier in the week.  I made a homemade version of that condensed cream of chicken soup glop in a can that was a staple of '70s casseroles to thin with water and use for the sauce.  Then I just layered chicken, broccoli, and some lightly sautéed garlic and onion, poured the sauce over everything, then sprinkled with cheddar cheese and baked.  Comfort food at its finest.

Tonight will be pork chops, kale, and mac & cheese.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Tonight I'm trying a new recipe (for me) from Giada DeLaurentiis. Meatloaf made with ground turkey, sundried tomatoes and feta. To go with it I made orzo with some TJ's artichoke pesto I got for Christmas (opened it in late March) and frozen spinach with the leftover feta from the turkey loaf recipe. Dressed up with fresh lemon juice. I'm going to tackle fresh green beans and tomatoes Greek style later on.

I also found a recipe on Pinterest for a sheet angel food cake (I used a box mix) with blueberries. You bake it in a jelly loaf pan. The glaze is blueberries and powdered sugar. I added lemon juice and zest to both the cake and the glaze. If I like it, I might try it with blueberries and strawberries for 4th of July.

Tomorrow is light chicken tetrazinni. Even though it's warm and muggy, a creamy pasta dish sounded good. I'd like to try this recipe for malted milk brownies. My dad and the guys downstairs will be happy to get some shared desserts! Baking gets to be an expensive hobby -- both with money and calories!

That all will last me well into next weekend.

• Love 4

I made Cobb Salad yesterday, one of my favorite summertime meals.  Tonight I'm making grilled pizza.  It's going to turn hot again in a few days, so I'm looking throughout my recipes for some nice hot weather meals to cook for next week.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Dinner was tuna salad with avocado instead of mayo w/sliced cucumbers and tomatoes and celery on the side to scoop up tuna salad.

Mango with chili con limon tajin.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

Bought a whole roasted chicken from the grocery store yesterday and ate half.  Tonight, the rest will be "repurposed" into a noodle dish with shredded kale and carrots.

• Love 2