Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

On 3/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

On the quarantine diet!

Me, too:  chocolate for breakfast!

On 3/19/2020 at 5:49 PM, chessiegal said:

When we were looking for a house, the sign on this store cracked me up. Under their name, it says "Liquor Lottery Tickets Bait". All the necessities of life.

I went to the store yesterday and got alcohol, chocolate, and toilet paper.  Oh, and blueberries.  Tryin' to keep it healthy 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

For lunch I made some tomato soup with some tomatoes I canned last summer and served it with grilled cheese.

Dinner was a Knoephla soup with the last of the roast chicken. 

And I had some pie scraps in the fridge so used them and the guava jam I made to do a riff on Cuban guava and cheese pastries.

• Love 1

We had crab cakes and steak fries for dinner tonight. Our local seafood market has asked everyone to phone in orders to minimize the time people are in the store. Liquor stores are asking people to phone in orders and they will bring it to your car. The governor has closed all malls and non-essential services. Thank goodness it doesn't include liquor stores. Interesting that grocery stores are running out of tonic water

Tomorrow will be grilled hamburgers.

I made a big order from Omaha Steaks that should arrive soon. No idea for dinner beyond tomorrow.

My youngest stepdaughter that lives over 1,000 miles away scolded me for going to the grocery store after I posted a picture on FB showing our Safeway had put blue tape markers on the floor at check out lines showing 6 feet of social distancing , saying I should stay home. I asked her what I was supposed to do for food? No one but Domino's delivers to our address.

Tonight will be grilled brats ("imported" from MI😉) & burgers, plus leftover incredibly delicious potato salad (secret ingredient turned out to be a larger than usual amount of horseradish). 

Will there ever again be shelves full of TP???

On 3/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, chessiegal said:

Toilet paper! Wow. None to be found where I live.

Costco had a veritable mountain of Kirkland brand toilet paper this afternoon.  I also got eggs, bread and M&M’s.  I got one of their rotisserie chickens for dinner and mini chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  

3 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Costco had a veritable mountain of Kirkland brand toilet paper this afternoon.  I also got eggs, bread and M&M’s.  I got one of their rotisserie chickens for dinner and mini chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  

What area of the country do you live in? I don't live near a Costco (35 minute drive), but am near a Sam's. I've read there are lines outside as they control the number of people in the store. I'm trying to avoid crowds, and won't go there unless I know they have toilet paper.

We have been very fortunate because we have several convenience stores/small independent markets in our neighborhood and haven’t had an issue finding anything and now all the main stores have evened out and it’s easy to find things there as well (well according to my boyfriend, friends and neighbors) I have only gone shopping twice in the past two weeks and that was to the farmers market where there are no lines, no problem keeping a distance and tons of vegetables.

Lunch was chicken salad on Bibb lettuce.

Dinner was chicken fajitas with all the fixings and some yummy black beans I forgot about that were in our freezer.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

What area of the country do you live in?

I live in West Michigan, near Grand Rapids.  I was at Costco at about 2:30 this afternoon and it was as empty as I have ever seen it.   I didn’t see anyone with more than one package of t.p. in their cart.  Bread was a little low, no flour, plenty of meat, cheese & veggies/fruits.

They had rearranged the handicapped parking and had all of the carts in the parking lot and were using the “garage area” where the carts usually are as the entrance, which was divided into two lanes, separated by stacks of pallets.  There appeared to be lines taped on the floor that led to the checkout area, which was staffed by a worker directing people to the next open lane.  (Only one way to the checkouts.) 

I found it odd that neither Costco or the local grocer had skim milk, but plenty of 2% and whole.  Also plenty of non-dairy milks.

Our Safeway has put blue tape on the floor at the check out lines to show 6 feet of distancing. Tonic water is in short supply, but the 2  small convenience stores and liquor stores have it. No toilet paper though.

Yesterday I had a craving for a Panera tuna salad sandwich. They were advertising free delivery, but not to me who lives 5 miles away. I ordered Rapid Pick-up. They moved the shelf to directly inside the door. I also got soup and chili that are in the fridge for today. Tonight will be leftovers.

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Yesterday I had a craving for a Panera tuna salad sandwich. They were advertising free delivery, but not to me who lives 5 miles away. I ordered Rapid Pick-up. They moved the shelf to directly inside the door. I also got soup and chili that are in the fridge for today. Tonight will be leftovers.

I absolutely love Panera's tuna salad sandwich--on the French baguette or whatever it is. Been thinking about it lately.  Maybe I'd better get over there before the lunch crowd arrives tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I absolutely love Panera's tuna salad sandwich--on the French baguette or whatever it is. Been thinking about it lately.  Maybe I'd better get over there before the lunch crowd arrives tomorrow.

It's on Ciabatta bread. Do Rapid Pick-up online so you can just go in and grab with no human interaction. When I picked up my order yesterday there was only 1 customer in the store that I didn't need to get near. MD has restricted restaurants to take out only.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's on Ciabatta bread. Do Rapid Pick-up online so you can just go in and grab with no human interaction. When I picked up my order yesterday there was only 1 customer in the store that I didn't need to get near. MD has restricted restaurants to take out only.

Thanks for the reminder.  I keep forgetting we're in lockdown (well, that's what it feels like).

Swiss Chicken (6 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a 9x13 Pyrex, top with 6 slices swiss cheese, smother with 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, top with salad croutons. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes), Rice Pilaf and frozen microwave California Blend veggies. Comfort food rocks during a pandemic.

• Love 3

Been basically eating two meals a day so earlier meal was steel cut oatmeal with coconut milk and roasted mango.

Dinner is going to be lamb shanks marinated in yogurt and mint with couscous and roasted asparagus. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Last of the leftovers. I sautéed some asparagus and added it to chicken alfredo.

I'm so used to going to the grocery store almost every day, it is taking some discipline to only go when I need something. Tomorrow is the day.

I never thought I would have to worry about what my cat would eat. She's on a prescription diet, and after noticing that orders on Amazon were scheduled to arrive in 1-2 weeks rather than next day or two, I ordered her food from Chewy earlier than normal. Rather than the normal "will arrive in 2-3 business days" I got an email saying we'll let you know when it ships. Yikes!

Sauted salmon in a little sesame oil and noodles in peanut sauce. I was going to visit Harris Teeter tomorrow but will wait for early Sunday morning. Less crowded, sure, but I hope there will be some groceries left in the store. I wonder if I'll ever see TP on the shelves again!!

• Love 2

Eureka!  While cooking Italian meatballs a little while ago, I came up with a good way to remember not to let them be crowded in the skillet (otherwise they'll steam).  I was careful to keep them socially distant 😉  Spaghetti & meatballs for dinner tonight.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I got a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans for dinner last night. While I was out, I ordered  Rapid Pick-Up from Panera - chicken chipotle sandwich for my husband, chicken Caesar salad for me. We finished both at lunch today. I also got chicken wild rice soup and the 10 veggie soup that are in the fridge.

I was thinking of making a chicken casserole for dinner tonight, but after eating Omaha Steaks apple tartlet with ice  cream this afternoon, we're not hungry..

I got an email today saying my order from Omaha Steaks has shipped.

I also heard from Amazon that several items I ordered that they originally said would get here sometime in April will arrive on Monday. Maybe the shipping world is getting better.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, chessiegal said:

I never thought I would have to worry about what my cat would eat. She's on a prescription diet, and after noticing that orders on Amazon were scheduled to arrive in 1-2 weeks rather than next day or two

My goobers get their wet cat food from Amazon (they have a subscription) and it arrived on time.  I was concerned, so I checked and pet food is considered a “priority” on the same level as groceries.  My cats feel it should rate above people food, as I am sure your cat does.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

My goobers get their wet cat food from Amazon (they have a subscription) and it arrived on time.  I was concerned, so I checked and pet food is considered a “priority” on the same level as groceries.  My cats feel it should rate above people food, as I am sure your cat does.

I've not had good delivery from Amazon of late, They're giving me delivery times of up to a month. One item I ordered got returned by the carrier with no explanation other than my money would be refunded. I can always fall back on my vet - they will ship it to me. I use Chewy instead of the vet because they are cheaper. I've got almost 2 weeks of food, so I'll see what happens his week.

• Useful 1

I ordered in a lot this past week to support some of my favorite local restaurants who have lost all their dine-in business, and when I cooked I made comfort food, so I'm giving myself one more night of that and then I need to get back to reasonably healthy eating with occasional indulgences, because this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Last night I made a very basic mixed greens salad (because I'm running low on produce but limiting my grocery shopping to once every 10 days), grilled pork chops, kale sautéed with red onion, and half a box of Kraft mac & cheese.  Because, oh my stars, do I love that packet of neon orange chemicals.  And it wasn't even the whole grain version like I normally buy (I couldn't get that when I last shopped), so I wasn't quite as deliriously happy as I normally am, but I still savored it.  (I prefer whole wheat pasta for taste, with the health benefits merely a bonus, and the "whole grain" version of mac & cheese is already just a middle ground, so the regular version was quite a departure from my norm.)

Today I'm eating leftover pizza (wheat crust, white sauce, with grilled chicken, roasted peppers, avocado, and mixed greens as the toppings, with a chipotle mayo sauce drizzled over the top, so it's not that unhealthy for a pizza).

Tonight will be another basic side salad, roasted Brussels sprouts, grilled ribeye steak, and the other half of the mac & cheese.

• Love 4

I hadn’t intended to start a sourdough starter because it takes so much flour to get started and it seemed wasteful when everyone was having difficulty getting flour even though I had a ton because we had gone to Costco shortly before people started shopping like crazy. But the bakery around the corner from me was selling their starter as a way to support them during this time so I went ahead and got some since once it’s started you can use the discard for other items so no waste.

Today I made pizza dough with the discard and made a pepperoni, red pepper, mushroom, and olives pizza and a salad with blue cheese dressing with homemade croutons.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I've got a chicken casserole in the oven using leftover rotisserie chicken. I used fusilli instead of egg noodles since I'm planning on making a chicken noodle soup with the rest of the chicken tomorrow.

The governor ordered a stay-at-home order starting at 8 pm tonight. It isn't really different from a previous order, but it seems to have sent people panic shopping, just when the shelves were starting to fill up. The governor was ticked that his no more than 10 people gathering was being ignored in some cases.

Our great neighbor knocked on the door to say he was making a run to a liquor store that has good sale prices. We had him bring us a case of Beefeaters. As long as they don't run out of gin, I'm good. 

• Love 4

The chicken noodle soup I made was a basic recipe, but somehow it tasted better than even Panera's, which I love.

Crab cakes and oven fries for dinner.

My Omaha Steaks order delivered today, so that will cut down on the need to go to the store.

And in more delivery good news, Jinglebelle's prescription diet cat food has shipped!

• Love 5
(edited)

Meal one: Carrot top pesto turkey wraps with mozzarella.

Meal two: Spicy fried chicken sandwiches with Brussels sprout lemony slaw and potato chips. I also made a double chocolate banana bread for dessert/stress eating.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was so looking forward to Panera Bread's spring menu. However, when I tried to order their chicken poppy seed salad, the app said it was out of stock! Maybe the ingredients haven't gotten to the store yet. Oh well.

Grilled hamburgers for dinner.

(edited)

Fried chicken sandwiches reminds me that I *still* haven't tried Popeye's famous chicken sandwich. Tonight will be my version of Indian chicken: sauted chicken & onions & peas, with Indian simmering sauces, naan, and raita. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

We had grain bowls with zucchini and tofu for lunch.

My boyfriend came back from a bike ride around the time I was going to start dinner and at our door were two big bags of Chinese food shu mai, gyoza, garlicky green beans, soup dumplings, shrimp toast, spicy  cucumber salad, pork riblets, and noodles. He called the restaurant and apparently they had delivered it to the wrong building and told us to just keep it. It was still warm and absolutely delicious. 

• Love 3

Our local Popeye's is now delivering (probably due to the virus) and I tried their much-touted chicken sandwich. YUM! Worth the hype. Had one of their biscuits, too, which was also buttery, flaky, and overall awesome.  🙂

• Love 5

Homemade English muffins with guava jam for breakfast because I woke up at 6 for some reason! 
Lunch was the rest of our surprise mistake Chinese food. 
Tonight is cauliflower, tomato and pea Marsala (finally scored frozen peas), basmati rice and naan.

I didn't even realize there was a whole topic about food on here!!

I made a chipotle and fresno chile salsa marinated skirt steak nacho with Cuban black beans with red pepper and onion. Topped it off with a red cabbage and jalepeno slaw and guacamole. I had a bunch of ingredients that I had left over, because there were so many things out of stock from  my grocery delivery I couldn't originally make most of what I was going to make for dinner this week and had to wing it, so was down to a bunch of random ingredients.

• Love 4

I sauted marinated sliced portobello mushrooms tonight instead of grilling as they were mostly frayed around the edges (had a tough time removing the gills w/o tearing the mushrooms apart). Odd. We put them on those brioche buns with aioli, sauted onions & peppers; also had steamed asparagus, and shoestring fries (needed to get that bag o' fries out of the overstuffed freezer!)

• Love 1

I'm marinating chicken breasts for grilling and will serve with green beans and baked potatoes.

I had some of the chicken noodle soup that I made for lunch . I can't believe how many meals I've gotten out of one rotisserie chicken. 3 dinners from the chicken pasta casserole and I've lost count of the number lunches of chicken noodle soup.

• Love 1

Finished the rest of the chicken noodle soup for lunch. Grilled salmon for dinner. I usually get it from Whole Foods but haven't been there in weeks. Got some from our local seafood market. They are asking folks to phone in orders. They're also asking for no more than 2 customers in the store at a time when you pick up. Also got some shrimp and jumbo lump crab cakes.

• Love 1

Since time has lost all meaning my first meal of the day was making deep fried mushrooms at 1 am with blue cheese dip. Tasty. 

Leftover quiche and Bellini’s (light on the juice) for a late brunch.

Dinner will be spicy broccoli pasta with parm. 

• Love 1