Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Yay! I don't have to cook tonight! We're headed over to my sister-in-law laws, she's going to cook Thai BBQ & other dishes. They are celebrating my niece's birthday early. 

This morning I made a German chocolate birthday cake for her.

• Love 1

Having people over for the Golden Globes which is just an excuses to stuff our faces and drink: Stuffed Mushrooms, endive goat cheese spoons, carmalized onion flat bread, pimento cheese potato bites, deviled eggs, roasted red pepper and white bean dip with pita chips, gougeres, simple salad, and a super boozy rum cake.

• Love 5

Yesterday I made and have been eating and will be eating chicken noodle soup plus matzo balls... w0ith an orange juice or tomato juice chaser.

I've got a really bad cold.

Tonight hubby is getting something quick and easy that I don't have to think about, fried ham steak, leftover mashed sweet potatoes, steamed asparagus.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Dessert will be the blackberries I got at the store today.

Blackberries are everything and I will buy them every time I see them no matter the season or price. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Blackberries are everything and I will buy them every time I see them no matter the season or price. 

Berries are great. Sadly though the produce at my store has been sucking recently and after wasting money on nectarines and mushrooms that went bad long before they were supposed to, I'm going to be relying on a lot of frozen produce for the rest of the winter.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

We're having Korean beef & noodles. First meal I've made since getting home from a cruise on Saturday with a very bad resp infection (Mr P914 also has it).  No more cruises for me!

Sorry your sick. Hope you feel better.

Was that the floating Petrie dish cruise that is now in the news?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

Sorry your sick. Hope you feel better.

Was that the floating Petrie dish cruise that is now in the news?

Thanks, Giselle. No, our ship wasn't in the news. We were on Princess Royal.  I just completed a survey from them and explained I'm not going on any more cruises. Better for me to fly to a great city, stay in a nice hotel, and tour on our own.  The ship that's in the news has the norovirus which we didn't have (thank God!!!)  

• Love 2

I love blackberries.  I remember when I was a kid, we would go out to any 'undeveloped' property we could find and pick them (either those or dewberries--they are the same to me.  I think dewberries are just a little smaller).  We didn't trespass, we always had permission from the owners.  We would get overflowing buckets of berries and just eat them with a little sprinkle of sugar or my mom would make cobblers.  Those were good days!  (although--thinking back--I'm amazed that I never saw a single snake in those bramble patches.  I guess we scared them off as we stomped through).  I haven't bought fresh in years, but I have bought bags of frozen ones when I'm making a cobbler or pie. 

I wanted a big sloppy cheesy pepperoni pizza for dinner, but I'm trying to be good, so it's an oven-BBQd pork chop, some roasted whole okra and maybe a little green salad later if I'm still hungry. 

• Love 5

Last night I had company. Appetizer was a small charcuterie board. First course was bacon wrapped scallops. The we went onto Scottish steak pie, mashed potatoes, green beans. We followed with after dinner drinks, espresso and Key Lime pie.  I still feel stuffed. 

• Love 2

I made trash last weekend (homemade southern version of Chex mix) and I made so much I'll be eating it until the end of time. I'm taking it into the office on Monday for our IT guys, who will hopefully devour it quickly. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 6:59 PM, BooksRule said:

I love blackberries.  I remember when I was a kid, we would go out to any 'undeveloped' property we could find and pick them (either those or dewberries--they are the same to me.  I think dewberries are just a little smaller).  We didn't trespass, we always had permission from the owners.  We would get overflowing buckets of berries and just eat them with a little sprinkle of sugar or my mom would make cobblers.  Those were good days!  (although--thinking back--I'm amazed that I never saw a single snake in those bramble patches.  I guess we scared them off as we stomped through).  I haven't bought fresh in years, but I have bought bags of frozen ones when I'm making a cobbler or pie.

Ewwww...yeah, how was it that we kids, out picking blackberries in little wooded areas, didn't encounter snakes either? Snakes like berries. Geez, that would've cured me of picking berries for life if I'd have come face to face with Mr Slither, up in the branches, glaring at me ~shudder~

• Love 1

Two poached eggs (sometimes soft boiled eggs) and torn up buttered toast. All mixed together with extra butter, salt and pepper. Applesauce for dessert.

From the beginning when I was kid and could create memories this was & is my comfort food when I'm sick.

Now if I just had the big leather chair & my mom so I could sleep in her lap all night while she stroked my forhead.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Giselle said:

Two poached eggs (sometimes soft boiled eggs) and torn up buttered toast. All mixed together with extra butter, salt and pepper. Applesauce for dessert.

From the beginning when I was kid and could create memories this was & is my comfort food when I'm sick.

Now if I just had the big leather chair & my mom so I could sleep in her lap all night while she stroked my forhead.

Sending you virtual hugs from the big leather chair.

We're visiting family in New Orleans, staying in the Garden District, they live Uptown. Yesterday my stomach decided it didn't like solid food. We had Brunch at the Audubon Golf Club where after 3 bites, I was done. Went to their favorite pizza place for dinner, where I ordered soup, and after 1 spoonful, couldn't get any more down. On the upside, I have enjoyed glasses of Prosecco. 

• Love 1

Went to my brother's for dinner last night - he grilled some steak and ribs.  The star of the night for me was the roasted cabbage with a mustard sauce my SIL made. 

I'm reluctant to try any cabbage that has been cooked other than in a stir fry where it retains some crispness, but this was lovely and the mustard sauce she made so good!  She said it was just some Dijon mustard, butter, garlic and minced onions.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2019 at 6:21 AM, Mindthinkr said:

The we went onto Scottish steak pie, mashed potatoes, green beans.

I had never heard of Scottish steak pie so immediately went to look it up.  I'm getting my attempt at it started as I type, although I may end up using some of the beef in some other capacity tonight and put together the pie tomorrow.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I had never heard of Scottish steak pie so immediately went to look it up.  I'm getting my attempt at it started as I type, although I may end up using some of the beef in some other capacity tonight and put together the pie tomorrow.

I’ve done that as too and it works well. I add more things to it than just the normal recipe that you can look up. I add mushrooms, carrots...well whatever vegetables I have extra of on hand. Thyme or rosemary work well with it too. I hope it comes out well for you. It won’t matter too much. The puff pastry crust will have you swooning. 

Edited to add: For my company version I buy puff pastry shells to put the filling in. It’s much less messier than an actual pie with one crust. It also keeps it crispy. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Seriously??!!!   Well, my berry picking days just ended.

You just have to make a lot of noise and they'll be gone (if there are any there in the first place).  If you haven't encountered any so far, you're probably berry picking in a good place.

While we were away last weekend, we got 6+ inches of snow. Our sweet neighbor's daughter shoveled our driveway. It's been so cold the snow has not melted very much. The snow has melted off the grill, but there's still several inches on the deck. I want to put my grill master back to work!

Rosemary and garlic marinated pork chops with a sour cherry sauce, soft polenta and roasted green beans.

I made the polenta in the InstantPot as an experiment and it worked out well for a quick side and will definitely do it again.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

OK... Nothing exciting. I made chili. Had mine with thin spaghetti.

Hah! I just heard Mr. P914 tapping the chili container (not spicy/chili enough, y'know).

Well, I sure need some inspiration for future meals. Maybe if it warms up a tad, we can grill some swordfish. If it's not going to snow...go away icy winds😣

Having friends over for bad tv so made potato buns with Everything Bagel seasoning, ground a meat blend of short ribs, brisket and chuck for the burgers and will do grilled onions and Shake Shack sauce, oven fries, boozy shakes and a Meyer Lemon tart for dessert. 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Today is my husband's 70th birthday. We're having jumbo lump crab cakes, steak fries, cucumber salad, with cheesecake for dessert, all washed down with  Champagne. 

Is there still time for me to race over? Oh that sounds so delicious. I grilled swordfish steaks on an indoor grill for dinner--so now I've got scented candles burning in the kitchen & great room. Fish need to be grilled outdoors (but I require slightly balmier weather for that). Maybe I'll make crabcakes & French fries tomorrow!!

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is there still time for me to race over? Oh that sounds so delicious. I grilled swordfish steaks on an indoor grill for dinner--so now I've got scented candles burning in the kitchen & great room. Fish need to be grilled outdoors (but I require slightly balmier weather for that). Maybe I'll make crabcakes & French fries tomorrow!!

Alas, all gone. I splurged on the crab cakes ($14.99/each) from our local seafood shop, but they are worth it because they are mostly lump crab meat.

The Birthday boy doing one of his favorite activities last summer - sailing.

baysailing.jpg

• Love 5
On 1/28/2019 at 3:08 AM, Giselle said:

Cioppino, burrata salad with heirloom tomatoes and balsamic reduction. Home made french bread.

Meyer lemon sorbet, made with lemons from my trees, and olive oil cake.

Okay, I want burrata now.  With oodles of balsamic.

• Love 1

I have a Moroccan-style stew in the crock pot (made from an old Real Simple recipe that I cut out ages ago and have never made):  beef cubes, sweet potatoes, red onion, tomatoes, and apricots, with chickpeas and spinach thrown in for the last 30 minutes, seasoned with cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne.  It smells amazing, and will be perfect on this snowy evening!

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1

I did ATKs take on Zuni’s roast chicken with warm bread and arugula salad. Not quite as good as going to Zuni’s but delicious and a lot cheaper and minus the 24 hour dry brine relatively quick weeknight dinner.

• Love 1