Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Tonight is Potatoes Dauphinoise - potatoes, ham, heavy cream and stinky cheese.  I guess it's actually a fancy scalloped potato dish.  Totally decadent, we only eat it once or twice a year; the hub makes it for my birthday week each year, and it's time!  (We each have a birthday week; the birthday person makes the menu, and the other cooks it.)

I love Potatoes Dauphinoise. It was one of the first dishes I remember doing well when I learned to cook. I never made it with ham though. When people first described scalloped potatoes to me, I would refer to it as "similar to potatoes dauphinoise" first. I like a bit of garlic in mine. Great comfort food.

• Love 1

Here a link to the recipe for Braised Chicken with Lemon and Olives http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017258-braised-chicken-with-lemon-and-olives.   It did come out really good.  The reciipe itself called for fennel and rosemary, but  the text of the accompanying article suggested other herbs and spices if you want a different sort of ethnic flavor: I used cumin and paprika since I don't really like fennel or rosemary.  

I copied and pasted the link into my recipe file. thank you

It is a wonderfully warm day!  So I made garlic, avocado, chipotle hummus, to go with some whole grain bread, veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, peppers) and I'm soaking some cashews for one of those cashew cheeses even as I type (nutritional yeast really helps fake the cheese flavor, you can make a really tasty faux grilled cheese with a cashew cheddar -- adding a little bit of turmeric makes it a nice cheesy color too and turmeric is great for you!)  

By the way, the avocado hummus is because I accidentally got some of those god awful "light avocados" that are supposed to have less fat and are a brighter green.  Complete accident and they are a bastard creation, that's for sure.  Hardly any flavor and pits that comprise most of the fruit.  I don't know whose awful idea that thing was, but they need to be scolded, quite severely.  

So I had two of those affronts to real avocados and I threw them into the hummus on a whim.  Best use possible for them, as far as I can tell.  

• Love 2

A fast dinner was made this evening:  ham steak, Steamfresh Brussels Sprouts for Mr. P914 (leftover spinach for moi) and baked potatoes that I started in the microwave and finished in the oven w/ the ham steak.  Sour cream & fresh chives on the potatoes (just like the old days!)  Mr. P914 could not believe dinner was prepared so quickly.  When I'm hungry...get outta the way ;>)

• Love 2

By the way, the avocado hummus is because I accidentally got some of those god awful "light avocados" that are supposed to have less fat and are a brighter green.  Complete accident and they are a bastard creation, that's for sure.  Hardly any flavor and pits that comprise most of the fruit.  I don't know whose awful idea that thing was, but they need to be scolded, quite severely.  

So I had two of those affronts to real avocados and I threw them into the hummus on a whim.  Best use possible for them, as far as I can tell.  

I don't think I've ever seen those "light avocados" -- do they sell them right along with the regular ones?  Not that I'm looking for them, especially based on your description, stillshimpy, but I'm curious why I haven't encountered them. I will look around more closely and avoid when necessary.

• Love 1

They are Florida Avocados, harrie :-) 

I had seen them in past, noticing the brighter green rind, but I didn't realize there would be any difference in fat content (it really isn't the type of fat anyone should sweat) or that there would be so little flesh comparatively.  The sticker told me about the "one third less fat" thing and the taste is...you know right around holidays they put out those great big, hot house strawberries and they look amazing...and taste like essentially nothing? 

It's like that.  Only for Avocados.  

• Love 2

I don't think I've ever seen those "light avocados" -- do they sell them right along with the regular ones?  Not that I'm looking for them, especially based on your description, stillshimpy, but I'm curious why I haven't encountered them. I will look around more closely and avoid when necessary.

They are gross and I haven't seen them in quite some time. Only buy Haas avocados with the bumpy rind. The disgusting other (Florida) avocados are smooth skinned, watery tasting and, literally, stringy, eww. Not worth eating at all if you ask me.

• Love 1

stillshimpy, I love the holiday strawberry comparison -- and I totally get it now!  

masonlamps, thank you for the Haas v Florida avocado info.  I do buy the bumpy ones, because they're smaller and change color. 

Who knew there were so many ins and outs of avocados?  Not me. 

• Love 1

Oh yeah, those watery, bland Florida avocados are just an affront to food.  I like Fuerte best, but Hass and Gwen are also delicious.  But, really, any of the California varieties other than Zutano are great; I think it's sad that Hass is pretty much the only one sold in supermarkets. 

• Love 3

The sticker told me about the "one third less fat" thing and the taste is...you know right around holidays they put out those great big, hot house strawberries and they look amazing...and taste like essentially nothing?

It's like that.  Only for Avocados.

I had the same problem the other day, only it was with a Hass avocado (I guess, based on the picture? A "normal" one).  And it was strange, because I bought two at the same time, the first one I ate was delicious, the second I had for breakfast yesterday, smashed up on toast, and it tasted like nothing!  Every few bites it would taste like salt since I'd sprinkled a little of that on top, but it was just bizarre.

• Love 2
I had the same problem the other day, only it was with a Hass avocado (I guess, based on the picture? A "normal" one).  And it was strange, because I bought two at the same time, the first one I ate was delicious, the second I had for breakfast yesterday, smashed up on toast, and it tasted like nothing!  Every few bites it would taste like salt since I'd sprinkled a little of that on top, but it was just bizarre.

You clearly got the twins:  Hass the Audacious and Hassette the Timid.   

• Love 1

All the avocado talk is interesting considering I'm having avocados for dinner too.   I'm making Shrimp Cobb Salad, where you use shrimp instead of chicken, and leave out the blue cheese and hard boiled eggs, but  add corn.  

• Love 1

Corned beef and cabbage, of course. I've had it in the slow cooker all day and am baking a loaf of Irish soda bread as well. This is my favorite food day. Even more than Thanksgiving. Yeah, I said it.

Edited by Sweets McGee
  • Love 6

I don't like corned beef (I'm not a big beef person in general, and this isn't one of my exceptions), and, other than Brussels sprouts (or Napa cabbage in a stir fry), I prefer the cabbage family raw rather than cooked, so I definitely skip the St. Patrick's Day meal.

I think tonight will be a stir fry night as I have some snow peas and cauliflower leaves that need to be used soon.  To that I'll add bok choy and whatever else in the crisper drawers strike my fancy (I don't have any Napa cabbage, though.)  I just use fresh ginger and garlic for flavor and top with a little sesame oil at the end.  I may marinate some chicken and add that, too, if I get home in time.

Oh, and what I made last night and brought for lunch is one of my favorite simple salads.  It's Anne Burrell recipe, and I make it whenever I find pencil-thin asparagus:  Toss together one bunch of that asparagus, very thinly sliced, one small red onion, finely diced, and one cup grated pecorino, then dress with about 1/3 cup red wine vinegar and a good splash of olive oil.  Let it chill for at least an hour, and it's ready to go.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

All the avocado talk is interesting considering I'm having avocados for dinner too.   I'm making Shrimp Cobb Salad, where you use shrimp instead of chicken, and leave out the blue cheese and hard boiled eggs, but  add corn.  

That sounds really delicious - I will probably make that next week. 

Corned beef and cabbage, of course. I've had it in the slow cooker all day and am baking a loaf of Irish soda bread as well. This is my favorite food day. Even more than Thanksgiving. Yeah, I said it.

Same here, but just with carrots and potatoes. And then .... hash.  Yum!

• Love 4

I always have so much cabbage, potatoes and carrots left over from St. Pattys day (the corned beef is always the first to go so never leftover of that) and I don't know what to do with it. I had the five year old help me make up some meatballs (he had such fun doing that) just now. I cooked them through on the stove and then put them in the crock pot with last nights left over veggies. Don't know what you call it but I think it will taste good.

My mom is coming for a visit this weekend. I really wanted to get her opinion on our new kitchen layout before we start busting down the walls (next weekend) so she's coming for a quick visit. I decided to thaw the Thanksgiving turkey I never cooked so I will be making a spring ish turkey dinner for Friday and hopefully the leftovers will get us through the weekend. After that, I'm taking the kids out of town for a week so DH can start construction and he can fend for himself come meal times.

• Love 2

I do my own renovations, too (haven't got to the kitchen yet), and I can't imagine doing it with kids underfoot (of course, I can't imagine doing anything with kids around as I'd prefer rabid wolves to children, but go with me here), so I'm sure your husband will be happy to fend for himself come meal time in exchange for being able to work without distraction for a week.

Tonight is leftover Chinese food because it probably won't be good much longer and I need something quick before meeting my friend for a walk.  But tomorrow night I'm going to do some sort of stuffed chicken breast; probably spinach, Portabella mushroom, and Swiss cheese.  Plus more roasted cauliflower, because the smallest head I could find was huge.

I always have so much cabbage, potatoes and carrots left over from St. Pattys day (the corned beef is always the first to go so never leftover of that) and I don't know what to do with it. I had the five year old help me make up some meatballs (he had such fun doing that) just now. I cooked them through on the stove and then put them in the crock pot with last nights left over veggies. Don't know what you call it but I think it will taste good.

My mom is coming for a visit this weekend. I really wanted to get her opinion on our new kitchen layout before we start busting down the walls (next weekend) so she's coming for a quick visit. I decided to thaw the Thanksgiving turkey I never cooked so I will be making a spring ish turkey dinner for Friday and hopefully the leftovers will get us through the weekend. After that, I'm taking the kids out of town for a week so DH can start construction and he can fend for himself come meal times.

Layer them in a casserole dish with cheese and top with buttered bread crumbs and bake until heated through.  This will be a delicious side or main dish.  I would throw the meatballs in too or serve them on the side.  

• Love 3

I'm making chicken cordon bleu, and I rolled up some asparagus spears inside. Don't know how it will work, but I feel too lazy to roast asparagus, too. I make a pilaf with wild rice, lentils, toasted pecans and mushrooms. For dessert it's leftover green velvet cake. It's gone from sunny and 80 to dreary, drizzly and 40-ish. I hated to have to go out to pick up Rx and groceries, but at least I can stay in tomorrow when it will be more of the same outdoors.

• Love 1

I'm making chicken cordon bleu, and I rolled up some asparagus spears inside. Don't know how it will work, but I feel too lazy to roast asparagus, too. I make a pilaf with wild rice, lentils, toasted pecans and mushrooms. For dessert it's leftover green velvet cake. It's gone from sunny and 80 to dreary, drizzly and 40-ish. I hated to have to go out to pick up Rx and groceries, but at least I can stay in tomorrow when it will be more of the same outdoors.

I've been known to throw asparagus on top of something like pilaf before I put the cover on. I'm quite happy with asparagus plain or with very little seasoning though.

• Love 1

I love corned beef. I try to remember to buy a couple extras when they are on sale this week and toss them in the freezer so that I can randomly make it again a couple times during the year. 

I've cooked it every way, and while it is super easy to do it in the slow cooker, I don't like the way it stinks up the house.  My preferred method is in my 9X13 cast iron roasting pan on a rack, about an inch of water, cover it with heavy foil and in the 300 degree oven for about 3 hours depending on the size of it.

And I prefer to make colcannon to standard cabbage and potatoes. Given that I serve it with corned beef, I'm not against leaving out the bacon/ham in this instance.

• Love 1

ALenore, would you let us know how the fresh ricotta thing works out?  I, for one, am intrigued.

Last night was Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma from the NYT a few weeks back.  It was easy and really yummy. Served it over couscous, and the hub roasted it with some of the marinade, which made kind of a sauce, so we didn't use any of the suggested garnishes.  Broccoli on the side, though.  Very simple, but very good.  

Tonight is tofu taters - basically twice baked potatoes, with the scooped out potato flesh mixed with tofu, cheese (cheddar tonight, sometimes Gruyere or something stinky), and peas, then stuffed and baked.

• Love 3

Last night I made pork tenderloin with a mushroom sour cream mustard sauce.   It was quite good.  Tonight I'm trying something I've never done before, making fresh rocotta cheese using milk and buttermilk, this will then go over fetuccini and zuchinni grape tomatoes   I'll have spinach salad on the side I think .  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-cherry-tomato-fresh-ricotta-pasta

i have made fresh butter and fresh mozzarella  never fresh ricotta let me know who it turns out. 

Edited by amitville

I managed to make the fresh ricotta, but method in the recipe (whole milk plus buttermilk)  didn't work for me.  I added some lemon juice, and I got few curds, but then found a recipe from Martha Stewart which uses whole milk, cream and lemon juice, and used that, but it didn't really set either.  I just looked on the internet to see what I might have done wrong, and I think I either got the milk too hot, or I didn't let the mixture sit long enough.   The Martha Stewart recipe has you strain it through cheesecloth for an hour, I didn't have that much time.  I finally managed to get enough cheese, and the dish did taste good.  I think I'll try the Martha Stewart recipe again some time.   

• Love 3

I made corned beef hash from the leftovers from earlier this week.   It came out really good.  I had to cook another couple of potatoes since there weren't enough left.  I also added plenty of sautéed onion and garlic, as well as chopped mini red, orange and yellow peppers.   I put fried egg on top of it all (thanks for the idea harrie). I liked it so much I'm not going to wait until next St. Patrick's Day to have corned beef again.  

• Love 1

ALenore - Thanks again for the recipe for braised chicken with lemons and olives.  I finally made it today and used your suggestion about paprika and cumin.  Different and really good.  I'll make it again.  The only problem is that my store didn't have any loose Meyer lemons and I had to buy a bag of 6.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with the remaining 4 lemons. 

Like others, I bought a corned beef brisket on sale and I've had that in the crock pot all day.  When it's all done, I'll pack up half of that and half of the chicken for my local daughter who never cooks.  She lives 35 miles away but she manages the local animal emergency clinic which is almost right around the corner from me.  My apartment building has a circular drive that comes up to the front door and there's a portico over that section.  We call it the "drive through" as in. "I made some xyz today.  Do you want to pick some up at the drive through after work?"  LOL  She calls when she's on her way and I run it out.

• Love 4

ALenore - Thanks again for the recipe for braised chicken with lemons and olives.  I finally made it today and used your suggestion about paprika and cumin.  Different and really good.  I'll make it again.  The only problem is that my store didn't have any loose Meyer lemons and I had to buy a bag of 6.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with the remaining 4 lemons. 

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade! (Or you can try?)  :-)

• Love 2

I have absolutely no idea what to do with the remaining 4 lemons.

Lemon Meringue Pie? Lemon Olive Oil Pound Cake?

Tonight's dinner was a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup -- good comfort food for a cool, rainy day!

• Love 5

I'd never heard of lemon olive oil pound cake but I just Googled up a recipe and it looks wonderful.  I can't remember the last time I baked anything but this is exactly what I'm going to do with the lemons.  Thank you!!!

• Love 2

Tonight I'm making a big roast chicken, along with rousted butternut squash and stuffing (cooked outside the bird).  It's a big bird, 8 pounds, and I'll be using the leftovers for another dinner later this week.   

• Love 3

I finally ate at home.

Green beans

Wild rice

Red jello

Pineapple

It's what I was craving.

It's 12:30am. I want a cream cheese frosted yellow cupcake. Won't get that. But, I want one...or three. I'm hungry!!!

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 3

I trimmed some hedges today, manually and have the blisters and sore arms to prove it. Geesh! I've got two trees to tackle before summer and it gets too hot. I hate yard work. Hate it! We live on an little more than an acre of land and last summer I push mowed the entire thing, while watching the babies. Today DH came home with a used riding lawn mower since our push mower died last season, haha. Thank god for the little things. I don't think I could have survived another summer push mowing the yard!

Tonight we had breakfast. Bacon, pancakes, eggs, potatoes. Tomorrow I think I'll do some thing with our left over turkey and freeze the rest. Thursday me and the boys head out of town for a week to visit various family. We will return Easter weekend to a disaster area. The new kitchen will be in its first stages!

Edited by Mountainair

I went to my parents' house last night, and my dad grilled burgers and my mom made onion rings.  Tonight I'm going healthier, but still quite tasty; other than stir fry, this is my favorite "damn, this tastes good for something so good for you" dish.  It's Deborah Madison's recipe for poached chicken breasts and leeks with a salsa verde. 

• Love 1

I snacked on way too many peanuts about half an hour ago (I'm addicted to peanuts ... and almonds, and pistachios, and cashews, and ...) so I'm going to be full for a while -- probably just a mixed-greens salad with some chicken or shrimp tonight. 

Tomorrow my mom and I are going to lunch at our favorite deli for pastrami sandwiches.  (I'm drooling already in anticipation.)  They're huge, so I may be in the same boat tomorrow night.

• Love 1

This is what I made for dinner tonight.  A vegan kale, sweet potato and black eyed pea salad, with smokey chipotle ranch dressing.  Although I changed the spices a bit on the ranch dressing (just didn't have quite enough flavor, so I upped the lemon juice, garlic power and onion powder....as well as adding some Hungarian hot paprika...and I blended it with a couple of ice cubes and chilled it for three hours beforehand which REALLY helps with the flavor...but the texture was so good...I am a full on cashew cream convert at this point).  

Plus, I added some smoked paprika to the sweet potatoes, replaced the pepitas with walnuts (solely because I can seldom find pepitas here) and rather than massage the kale, I did a very light wilt (so a very brief saute) on it while adding some shredded carrots.    

Okay, so realistically I bastardized the hell out of that recipe while still keeping it vegan and people, it was really freaking good.  Crazy good.  

By the way, I haven't gone full metal Vegan over here, I've just been trying to figure out a good menu for a Vegan dinner party I'm having on Easter.  I've got someone coming who had full-blown quadruple bypass, completely unexpected, back in the fall.  So I want to make the Vegan Gourmet dinner to end all gourmet dinners and I have been testing vegan recipes like a crazy woman.  The guy who had the surgery is the husband of a good friend of mine and she's so terrified that he'll never be able to stick to a vegan diet....so my mission is to essentially feed him a meal that will make him sing the praises of all things Vegan, because....well, it's obvious why it's important for him, I suppose.  

Edited by stillshimpy

Am I the only one that likes hot rice with various raw crunchy veggies (cucumber, red onions, peppers, tomatoes), avocado with just a bit of oil and vinegar and salt and pepper?  It's a magnificent lunch. 

• Love 1

Leftover Mexican style chicken (or boneless, skinless chicken breast I threw in the slow cooker with a touch of chicken broth and a can of Rotel).

Have you ever done chicken thighs, a small bottle of sliced jalapenos, some turnips and onions in a slow cooker?  Yum!

• Love 1