Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Regarding being unable to see that recipe, (or websites you've been blocked from--like other people's Twitter accounts, or articles behind paywalls on newspaper &/or magazine sites) I recently read about a "trick" you can do that's supposed to give you access to stuff like blocked social media accounts or other blocked websites, or paywall restricted articles.

If you're trying to read a website/article you've been blocked from reading, just switch your web browser into Private or Incognito Mode (or whatever similar word your browser manufacturer uses for it), THEN type the address for the website you're trying to read. If you try it, just remember to switch your browser mode to Private/Incognito BEFORE typing the web address in.

It works for me when I try to read a Twitter account I got blocked from reading for reasons I'm still trying to understand (& it wasn't for posting something I shouldn't have on that account; I mostly just read it--whoever blocked me apparently thinks I posted something I shouldn't have on another site they oversee). And that's cool, because I've been trying to find a reliable workaround so I could still read it since I got blocked.

But... so far it hasn't worked when I've tried to read online articles behind paywalls, even though it's supposed to work that way too.

I guess I'll have to see if I can find a different workaround for articles. But I hope it works for you.

• Love 1

Spinach risotto with Parmesan Padona. The cheese isn’t as salty and doesn’t have a big bite. Think of a nuttier butter flavor. 

Edited to say: I should has said as instead of is. Y’all should correct me when I use bad grammar. I would rather be educated than ignorant. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Ham and split pea soup with Guinness brown bread, super tasty!

What? Did y’all dip into our food and that’s why there are no leftovers? Kidding. Great minds think alike. 

6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Spinach risotto with Parmesan Padona. The cheese isn’t as salty and doesn’t have a big bite. Think of a nuttier butter flavor. 

Edited to say: I should has said as instead of is. Y’all should correct me when I use bad grammar. I would rather be educated than ignorant. 

@Mindthinkr: Never heard of Parmesan Padona but I like the idea of it not being so salty,having a nuttier flavor.  I'm going to look for it.  Oh--and no one needs to correct your grammar. You're fine as is ;>)

• Love 2

I'm marinating some chicken in peanut oil, lime juice, ginger, and garlic, and will make a stir fry with that, snow peas and bean sprouts. 

For lunch I had leftover of something I made the other night for the first time in a while - poached chicken breast with leeks, and a salsa verde (cilantro, basil, mint, jalapeño, lime zest/juice, garlic, and olive oil).  I forgot how much I like that, despite the fact it's ridiculously healthy.

• Love 2

Pizza. Don't really feel like cooking anything and my roommate will probably agree with me on that. After 3 classes and one a dance class where I got a long blister on my foot I am in no mood for cooking. Thank God it is Friday.

Craving quiche but have a bunch of peppers and avocados that I need to use so I am making a quiche with Mexican flavors and an avocado and grapefruit salad.

Edited by biakbiak

Roasted (whole) chicken, because the idea of simply stuffing some garlic, lemon, and rosemary into the cavity, seasoning it, and sitting back while the oven does its thing already appeals for tonight, and it's not even noon!  Probably another arugula salad as I still have a bit left, and some asparagus also roasted with rosemary and garlic.  Minimal effort, plus lots of leftover chicken to be used in myriad ways over the next week.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I knew I'd be on deadline this week, so I picked up shredded bbq beef, potato salad, and macaroni salad. It doesn't matter where the macaroni salad comes from, if it's not homemade, I always get a slight metallic aftertaste. I can't figure out what ingredient/combination of ingredients is the culprit. It's not bad enough to keep me from eating it, though.

I've been on a saltines kick lately, so for lunch I had a dozen, half with pimento cheese and half with butter. And a Dr. Pepper for my headache.

Do I recall correctly that you live in the Lone Star State? If so, I can recommend an excellent pimiento and cheese in Walmart's dairy section near the eggs and butter. Of course I can't recall the exact name right now, but it is something from SC and I think it says something about the Palmetto State. Boy, is it good! Sometimes I add a few drops of juice from a jar of pickled jalapeño peppers. I used to make my own p & c but now buy this instead.

3 hours ago, forumfish said:

I knew I'd be on deadline this week, so I picked up shredded bbq beef, potato salad, and macaroni salad. It doesn't matter where the macaroni salad comes from, if it's not homemade, I always get a slight metallic aftertaste. I can't figure out what ingredient/combination of ingredients is the culprit. It's not bad enough to keep me from eating it, though.

Forumfish: I know what you're referring to re: that awful metallic aftertaste from the macaroni salad. That's the preservative.  The only supermarket that sells macaroni salad w/o that awful taste is Harris Teeter.  Don't know if there's a Harris Teeter in your area as it's a NC based supermarket, and now it's here in Northern VA.  You're really lucky if you can find a good source for potato salad and macaroni salad, already made in a store (and w/out that burny, metallic taste!)

• Love 1
On 3/19/2018 at 10:02 PM, biakbiak said:

Its how I cook 90% of the dishes I cook, I look up a few recipes to find what they have and common and use that as the base and then based on my likes or dislikes and what I have on hand and either pick and choose from them or venture off on my own. 

I do that, too!  And I always get at least three recipes to start, borrowing the “plot at least three points” rule from high school math.  (Algebra?  Geometry? Can’t remember.)

Last night was a Lenten Friday freezer clean out.  Seared scallops on a bed of Uncle Ben’s Wild rice and crab legs with roasted cauliflower.  The scallops and crab were purchased from Aldi and both were quite good.  I used a rice cooker to cook the Uncle Ben’s and it worked quite well!  

I'm looking up marinade recipes for chicken wings on the grill (still trying to get used to the new one).  The surface is large enough that I can make a decent amount at one so will probably try two new marinades plus a tried & true (Asian style - soy sauce, lots of garlic, ginger, splash of mirin,...).  New marinades will be a lemon & garlic one and a salt & vinegar.

I don't do well with lots of spices  - especially heat, and the kids don't either so no hot wings for us.

Do I recall correctly that you live in the Lone Star State? If so, I can recommend an excellent pimiento and cheese in Walmart's dairy section near the eggs and butter. Of course I can't recall the exact name right now, but it is something from SC and I think it says something about the Palmetto State. Boy, is it good! Sometimes I add a few drops of juice from a jar of pickled jalapeño peppers. I used to make my own p & c but now buy this instead.

I used to buy Palmetto Farms brand pimento cheese at Winn-Dixie, but it got harder to find, so I moved on.   That stuff was really good.  I found and bought some about a year ago and I don't think it was the same (at least to me.  Maybe my tastes had changed).  I should give it another try.  I've bought Knott's brand PC at Wal Mart and it's not bad.  If you have a Newk's Eatery restaurant around, I've been told that their pimento cheese is good.  You can get it in the restaurant and pick up cartons to take home.  

• Love 1

Pimiento and cheese is super easy to make but mine just doesn't measure up. I use sharp cheddar and Hellman's with a sprinkle of paprika. The Palmetto Farms is superior to mine. Maybe I need to switch to Duke's mayo.

13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Pimiento and cheese is super easy to make but mine just doesn't measure up. I use sharp cheddar and Hellman's with a sprinkle of paprika. The Palmetto Farms is superior to mine. Maybe I need to switch to Duke's mayo.

Good thought on the Duke’s mayonnaise. PC is a southern dish so yes, use the southern mayo. I’ve enjoyed a variation made with a touch of smoked paprika. Just gives it that little something extra. I also would suggest that you make it from freshly grated cheddar (very sharp) as this won’t come out as good with the pre-shredded packaged type. 

On 3/24/2018 at 7:42 PM, Spunkygal said:

Duke's makes everything better. 

Speaking of Duke's, I made ham and cheese fold-overs with one of the many boxes of puff pastry in my freezer. I mixed Dijon and Dukes, spread it on a square of pastry, added a slice of cheddar and a couple of slices of applewood smoked ham,  then folded over the opposite corners and glued them together with a dab of beaten egg and finished by brushing the pastry all over with beaten egg. Baked for 20 minutes. Very good - better than the Starbucks ham and cheese croissant that I occasionally get. I'm having one for lunch with broccoli cheddar soup (actually, that will be my lunch for the rest of the week). 

ETA: fortunately the turnover heats up pretty well in the microwave, still flaky if I don't overheat. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3

WooHoo!

I've been trying to replicate one of the dishes my Mom makes for years and never have had success at it.  Some of the versions have tasted pretty good*, but lacked the visual appeal of Mom's version, some have come close on the visual appeal but were waaaaay overcooked, some just were spectacular fails by every measure.  It sounds like it should be ridiculously easy to make - chicken, some soy sauce and lots of garlic cooked on the stove top.  I've helped her make it a zillion times so I know there is no secret ingredient she slips in.  Two of my SILs have tried it too and they are both much better cooks than I am.  They haven't been able to get it right either.

Last night's version had visual appeal, tasty and tender!  I used all chicken wings instead of a whole chicken cut up so all the pieces would be the same size.  It wasn't exactly like Mom's , but it was in the neighborhood!

• Love 6

I just got home late from a lecture and found that my neighborhood had no power as I got close to home, although it came back on a few minutes after I got home. So, no elaborate dinner for me.  The very last of the pulled pork (no bun) and some type of quick veggie on the side.  Very quick and easy.

Edited by BooksRule

Something I hadn't made in a while, and have no idea why not as it's quick and easy, using ingredients I always have: chicken, mushrooms, and scallions sauteed with garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, then tossed with tamari, rice vinegar, and chopped cilantro.

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

That sounds pretty tasty!

It has a lot of flavor.  Add in that it takes hardly any time to make, and uses ingredients almost always on hand, and I have no idea why I had gone so long without making it.  I kept picking at the leftovers while waiting to put them in the fridge, but I managed to save myself enough for tomorrow's lunch.

The local butcher shop has ribeye steaks on sale this week, so I think I'll pick one up for dinner.  I have some red chard I need to use, so that will be the side dish (maybe just sauteed with some onion, but sometimes I use dry vermouth and grated Parmigiano-reggiano, so I may get inspired).  All my fancy greens are gone for the week already, so the salad will just be  lettuce and spinach with cucumber and avocado.  Hopefully I still have some red cabbage for color.  I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow.

• Love 1

Crab cakes! Whole Foods has been letting me down the last few weeks not making them, so decided to go to a family owned store that has 6 stores in MD.  Score! I can see they have lots of jumbo lump crab in them, so looking forward to how they taste.

• Love 2

eta: Wrong thread -- meant to put this in New Foods -- but I did have it for dinner last night  (with a bag of Smart Food ; ) so I guess technically it works here, too.

I made a paleo style banana bread.

The recipe uses mashed bananas,  ghee, 4 eggs, half a cup of almond butter, coconut flour, baking soda/baking powder/salt/cinnamon. I'm not paleo, so I used peanut butter instead of almond, melted butter instead of ghee, added a couple of tablespoons of honey (wasn't quite sweet enough) more salt, added nutmeg and more cinnamon.  Also threw in some chopped mini Dove squares ; )

Good new:  Very moist.  Surprisngly so. The coconut flour is great. And with just two tablespoons of honey added to the whole loaf,  the right amount of sweet.

Not so good news: needs much more spice -- even with the chocolate, it wasn't anywhere near flavourful enough -- next time,  I'll add more cinannmon/nutmeg and include ginger (and maybe cloves, for a pumpkin pie-like flavour). 

Edited by film noire

Hah! Rotisserie chicken from Harris Teeter tonight + doctored up Stove Top Stuffing + doctored up Roasted Turkey Gravy out of a jar ;>) + some green peas.  The Loyola/Michigan game started early (for my kitchen!) so that's what was served.  I say...Go Loyola (as a small college grad) but Mr. P914 is a MI grad.  Hope the nun prayed really hard today, heh heh.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I made Ina's Baked polenta with mushrooms and blue cheese and an arugula  salad so easy and delicious.

That looks really good -- I think I'll be making that next week. Thanks for posting the recipe.

18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Crab cakes! Whole Foods has been letting me down the last few weeks not making them, so decided to go to a family owned store that has 6 stores in MD.  Score! I can see they have lots of jumbo lump crab in them, so looking forward to how they taste.

How were your alternate crab cakes? The quality at my Whole Foods fish counter has really declined recently; the last straw was a bad/muddy clam from them ruining my clam chowder broth when it popped and made the whole pot a nasty, stinky mess.  The fish counter at my mainstream grocery store has been looking better than the WF one and the fish guy kind of knows his stuff, so I've been going to them for my salmon, cod, and other non-local fishy goods. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know, and I hope it's just at my store. But some of their stuff just doesn't look as good as it has in the past. If I'm paying WF prices, I want the best, freshest available product, and -- at least in the store nearest me -- I feel like that's not what they are offering.  

In an effort to stay on topic, tonight's dinner is (parts of) the usual Polish Easter breakfast:  kielbasa, pierogies, and something sweet -- in this case, a nut roll.  Horseradish on the side, of course, can't forget that. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

Only having three people so not doing a huge meal so small pizzas 1 smoked salmon with marscopone and chives amd 1 pesto and procuitto to start and then pea spaetzle with mint and cherry tomatoes and Banoffee pie for dessert.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Only having three people so not doing a huge meal so small pizzas 1 smoked salmon with marscopone and chives amd 1 pesto and procuitto to start and then pea spaetzle with mint and cherry tomatoes and Banoffee pie for dessert.

Pizza here too! We also had a salad with hearts of Palm, artichokes, lettuces, tomatoes, onion and roasted peppers. 

• Love 2

Since it's Easter Sunday, I cooked traditional Roast Lamb with spring herb crumbs, for my girlfriend and my parents, who I invited over to my house for the day. And for dessert home-made Chocolate, pistachio & nougat semi freddo, with a side of whipped cream.

• Love 3