Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

We went out to eat at a local place that has a nice courtyard to dine al fresco.

We had Flatbread with Figs/Balsamic Glaze/Prosciutto/ Gorgonzola Cheese. Washed it down with some nice vino.  The weather cooperated.  

(Auto-check, I'm giving you a stern eye because I can't spell ;)

Tonight was a medley of leftovers -- Thai food from Friday and pasta with sausage from Thursday, followed by plum cake, made today.  I'm looking forward to leftover cake (with a bit of greek yogurt) for breakfast tomorrow, it should be even better with a little more time for the flavors to meld.

16 hours ago, ariel said:

We went out to eat at a local place that has a nice courtyard to dine al fresco.

We had Flatbread with Figs/Balsamic Glaze/Prosciutto/ Gorgonzola Cheese. Washed it down with some nice vino.  The weather cooperated.  

(Auto-check, I'm giving you a stern eye because I can't spell ;)

That sounds delicious! I love the fig/prosciutto/gorgonzola combination.

Nothing. I went out to lunch and the meal I got was too much for one sitting but not enough to take leftovers home so I just kept eating. I'm one of those people who hates the waste of uneaten food but apparently not the waste of shoveling something in after I am no longer hungry.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 4

probably just an ordinary home-made chicken & mushroom casserole, using chicken thighs, button mushrooms, shallots, mixed veg, chicken stock, a couple of slices of bacon, pancetta and mixed herbs, served on a bed of brown wholegrain rice.

• Love 1

I'm having some friends over tonight  & we are having an old school 1960's  streak house meal.  Martinis, shrimp cocktail, NY strip steak, creamed spinach, sauted mushrooms, baked potato's -  I'm using yukon gold instead of russets.  A friend is bringing over chocolate mousse for dessert.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7

For an appetizer we began with stuffed mushrooms.

Filets, roasted Brussels sprouts (sorry for y'all who don't like them but my friend and I can eat a whole bag full), salads with lots of Gorgonzola, and strawberry shortcake with whipped cream (I cheated. Used store bought shortcakes but used Chambourd, lemon juice and sugar to marinate the berries in) for desert. Had it with a nice Côtes du Rhone. 

It was a good basically carb-less meal. We preferred to drink our calories lol. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It was a good basically carb-less meal. We preferred to drink our calories lol. 

I'm with you. I like to save my carbs for things that make me happy.

• Love 1

Hacked down one of my two basil plants a few days ago to make some pesto. Today it's going to get tossed with some pasta. I'll probably grill a chicken sausage on the side, that way I can go heavier on the protein and the kids can carb it up all they want.  I should get a bottle of sauvignon blanc, as it is one of my favorite food and wine pairings, but then I'll be kind of drowsy when I jump on the exercise bike to deal with the pasta situation later this evening. 

Boring dinner tonight.  I have some slices of pizza in the freezer I need to use to make more room.  I think I can salvage dinner a bit with a caprese salad on the side.  I do have some nice heirloom tomatoes & fresh basil.

I'm thawing a casserole that I made several months ago and didn't really like.  Mr P914 will probably eat it, though.  Maybe I'll have a tiny portion and a big salad (gained 5 lbs on a cruise last week cause I didn't do as much brisk walking up and down the ship liked I usually do...caught the upper resp infection going round the ship & was in bed for 2 days).

10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Would you elaborate on this one for me? I've got a 10 year old non-meat eater that might like such a thing.

It was a last minute replacement for my chicken enchiladas because a friend who is a vegetarian came to stay with us.

I don't really have a recipe I saute an onion, some garlic, cumin, chili powder (I use part Ancho/part Chipotle), and 2 8 ozs cans of tomato sauce 1 cup of water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. I cooked some rice and sauted red pepper and spinach with some of the above seasonings. Drained the sauce and reserved then mixed the onions, rice, black beans, sauted veg, corn, pickled jalapeños, sharp cheddar for the filling. Put some sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish filled and rolled the corn tortillas and put them in the casserole dish, cover completely with sauce and top with more cheese, cover aluminum foil and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes until heated through and cheese melted. 

Tonight it's homemade tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches and a salad. Nothing like having weather cold enough for soup but access to delicious summer tomatoes! Made a huge vat to freeze for later in the year when it will probably also be 60 degrees but the tomatoes aren't as good.

• Love 1

After 2 days on the road, last night I ordered a salad from the place next to the Kroger.  Chix, artichoke hearts, bacon, feta, tomatoes and greens.  Normally it lasts me two to three servings.  Last night I inhaled all of it.

My grandson went home today so I could have leftovers (quiche, carnitas, Mexican street corn, or pulled pork) but that bottle of red wine is looking pretty good to me (you know I've already decompressed with chocolate...which is by no means a reflection of the boy). He was fun and the best meals are shared with someone who enjoys them with you! 

I'm working 3:30 - 11 tonight with no dinner break so I will pick up a burrito at Chipotle on the way. It's all I can do to eat the whole thing but it should keep me full right up till midnight.

That was dinner at Casa De Lurker last night.  Leftovers will probably be lunch for my son.

Dinner tonight will be sloppy joes for the kids and another huge salad or Asian coleslaw for me.  I'm still on the "it most be easy because I am still wiped" mode from the road trip.

• Love 1

Ate at Fat Canary in Williamsburg, VA tonight.  Started with a cream of onion soup topped with a variety of mushrooms.  Delicious!!  Entree was Guinea Fowl with Parmesan Gnocchi, Garlic Rapini and Charred Tomato.  Dessert was Parmesan ice cream with figs and a port wine reduction.  And there may have been a couple of glasses of a rose from Provence.

A fabulous meal!!!  And, I'll never eat again.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Ate at Fat Canary in Williamsburg, VA tonight.  Started with a cream of onion soup topped with a variety of mushrooms.  Delicious!!  Entree was Guinea Fowl with Parmesan Gnocchi, Garlic Rapini and Charred Tomato.  Dessert was Parmesan ice cream with figs and a port wine reduction.  And there may have been a couple of glasses of a rose from Provence.

Lucky you! Congrats.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Started with a cream of onion soup topped with a variety of mushrooms.

That sounds divine.  (The whole meal sounds delicious, other than the gnocchi, because I hate potatoes, but the soup especially - I'm drooling!)

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Wow!!!  That is a foodies dream meal.

8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Opened face basil chicken burgers with heirloom tomatoes and oven baked fries.

ohh can you please give me more details on the burgers? I LOVE basil and so does the kidlet! When he was a wee tuck I used to have him in the kitchen on his bouncer watching me work and I'd give him a basil leaf to sniff and gum after he got bored of his usual baby gumming food. 

ETA: I went out and had thai food for dinner. Marinated pork skewers and a seafood glass noodle salad. I am actually allergic to the glass noodles (feel slightly nauseous after eating them) but I eat the salad because it's sooooooo yummy!!!!!

Edited by Mellowyellow
15 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Wow!  That meal sounds divine.  Now, what does Parmesan ice cream taste like?  Cheese?  I just can't imagine which way the flavor would go (like creme fraiche or sweet w/ a hint of cheese).  Everything sounds so good.

Just tried by my hand at something different - Lemon Peri Peri Chicken & mixed pepper skewers, on a bed of boiled rice and side salad; with some Tabasco sauce to add a bit of zing to proceedings.

Edited by Only Zola
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

That sounds divine.  (The whole meal sounds delicious, other than the gnocchi, because I hate potatoes, but the soup especially - I'm drooling!)

I was a little hesitant about the cream part of the onion soup, but it wasn't heavy at all.  It was stunning!

18 hours ago, ariel said:

Thinking of places to dine in Virginia, this place is on my bucket list.

http://theinnatlittlewashington.com/

On my bucket list, too.  I don't even live that far away, but it's an occasion place.  So I guess I need to make up an occasion  :-)

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow!  That meal sounds divine.  Now, what does Parmesan ice cream taste like?  Cheese?  I just can't imagine which way the flavor would go (like creme fraiche or sweet w/ a hint of cheese).  Everything sounds so good.

It was rich.  Really rich.  You could taste the aged parmesan but it didn't overwhelm the dish.  The whole thing came together quite well, much to my surprise.  A pleasant surprise.

I'd actually consider going back next year if Mr ebk does the convention again.  Just to eat at Fat Canary, because there's not much else going on in Williamsburg once you've done the colonial amusement park.

• Love 1