Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I had a bowl of cauliflower for lunch. I know you're all jea--lous.

Of course I went with the microwaveable bag. My grocery also sells packaged sliced squash and onions, which I pay twice as much for. OMG, the thought of cutting vegetables myself!

florets.JPG

• Love 1

@2727 Just saw a great Cauliflower recipe. You break the head into bite sized florets and place them on a cookie sheet (I personally line the pan with aluminum foil to reduce clean up). Then in a saucepan mix your favorite hot sauce (Texas Pete for instance) with a half of a stick of butter and let the butter melt, and mix well to incorporate. Reduce slightly. Brush the florets with the Buffalo sauce and then bake in a 425* preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until it's golden brown. 

Can be served by itself or with the traditional buffalo chicken side of creamy blue cheese dressing. 

• Love 2

Last night I made a whole chicken in the InstaPot for the first time, 5 lbs that came out with a crispy skin and was fall off the bone tender and moist in total 45 minutes, so tonight I will use the leftovers to make salsa Verde enchiladas and than chicken stock with the carcass in the IP! 

• Love 2

Fried Spam sandwich (I had a craving for the food of my youth).  The only nod to good nutrition is that I'm having it on whole wheat bread instead of white.  Dessert will be either some Blue Bell Caramel Sea Salt ice cream or some Banana Pudding ice cream.  Or both.

• Love 5

Oddly enough, since I stopped eating meat & poultry 10 years ago, Spam is one of the few things I really miss (along with bacon & corned beef).  And I'm not even from Hawaii!

• Love 3

Itumblr_os8k70f6mV1w82zyqo1_1280.jpgShaking beef with red rice and quick boil soup on the side. 

Black forest cake for dessert made with cherries imported from the U.S! I'm not normally a fan of imported fruit and veg and think that we should eat seasonal food but it is nice to be able to have blackforest cake twice a year instead of once.

I loooooove Spam!!!!! Deep fried egg and spam sandwiches are the best. Or spam with 2 min noodles which is like a recipe for death but damn it's good!

• Love 10
On 6/25/2017 at 6:45 PM, 2727 said:

Now there's a food gripe for me -- finding firm, small curd cottage cheese.

I don't know where you live, but Knudsen (in the pink tub) is the only cottage cheese I like.  

4E316538-CED2-AF66-4A71-A7672965548F.jpg

• Love 3

So far, a lovely glass of rose.

I should eat some food, but I just can't decide what leftovers I want to heat up.  Or if I want to bother at all...  

Actually, last night we had flank steak and those little potatoes, roasted in oil and salt. I call them crack potatoes because they're like crack - I can't stop eating them.  There are some left somehow.  Maybe I'll heat those up.  Or maybe I'll just pour some more wine.

Or both.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I should eat some food, but I just can't decide what leftovers I want to heat up.  Or if I want to bother at all...  

Actually, last night we had flank steak and those little potatoes, roasted in oil and salt. I call them crack potatoes because they're like crack - I can't stop eating them.  There are some left somehow.  Maybe I'll heat those up.  Or maybe I'll just pour some more wine.

Or both.

I'm with you, except beer instead of wine.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Or both.

f821df387f5336139ec6f17d965a0bb7.jpg

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ennui said:

f821df387f5336139ec6f17d965a0bb7.jpg

So I did have a balanced dinner the other night by sticking just to the wine!  

Tonight I had leftover flank steak and crack potatoes.  And the rest of the rose!!

• Love 2

Last night was the worst. I had to go directly from work to my daughter's softball game, so I had like a half sandwich leftover from lunch at 4:00. When I got home from the game at 8:15, I was starving and just started foraging in the kitchen. By the time I was done eating a little of this and a little of that, I think I ate twice as much as I needed. 

Tonight will be some grilled turkey or chicken sausages, green salad, and we'll see what kind of vegetables I find at the farmer's market today.

• Love 1

Had dinner with my new neighbor. He's a single man from Venice, Italy. He went onto his porch, cut a bunch of fresh basil and proceeded to make fresh pesto. The Parmesan cheese (and two kinds of salami served as a charcuterie appetizer with a few other nibbles) he had brought back from there (he stated that customs only gets him a third of the time...yikes). There was fresh pasta to put the pesto on, more Parmesan and copious amounts of good red wine. Nice neighbor but now I'm scared to return the favor and cook for him as I don't have "American" specialties. I'll let you know what I decide but any suggestions are welcome. He leaves next week for a month in Dubai and China (business). 

• Love 1

Jumbo lump crab cakes (from our local seafood market that makes them with fresh Maryland crab), grilled zucchini, and baked potato wedges (cut up potatoes, spray with veggie oil, sprinkle with Emeril's Essence).

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Jumbo lump crab cakes (from our local seafood market that makes them with fresh Maryland crab), grilled zucchini, and baked potato wedges (cut up potatoes, spray with veggie oil, sprinkle with Emeril's Essence).

Welcome Home!! 

• Love 1

Fried chicken thighs with pepper gravy and potato salad. I had a bunch of mangoes that I had to use so I made some. Mango habanero ice cream that turned out great so we will have that for dessert.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2017 at 10:12 PM, 3pwood said:

Oddly enough, since I stopped eating meat & poultry 10 years ago, Spam is one of the few things I really miss (along with bacon & corned beef).  And I'm not even from Hawaii!

You don't have to be Hawaiian to like/love Spam. I'm half-Filipina & have eaten probably more than my share in my lifetime.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2017 at 9:54 PM, ebk57 said:

Tonight I had leftover flank steak and crack potatoes.

What has happened to the price of flank steak over the years, anyway? It used to be a cheap cut of meat because it's so tough and now it's more per pound than top sirloin at my grocery. Scarcity plays a part because there isn't a lot of it on a cow, but that's always been the case.

• Love 3
(edited)

Grilled lemongrass beef and noodle salad. Possibly a strawberry cake with blueberry sauce and whipped cream, if I get my act ogether.

Update: the cake did not happen. Instead I took a nap.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

You don't have to be Hawaiian to like/love Spam

You can even be from Minnesota.

Using last of the leftover chicken to make chicken gyros on homemade pita with tzatziki, some great tomatoes and  a "deconstructed" dolmades salad (wild rice, olives,  pine nuts, chopped grape leaves and whatever else I want tossed with an oregano heavy red wine vinaigrette).

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/1/2017 at 8:51 AM, 2727 said:

What has happened to the price of flank steak over the years, anyway? It used to be a cheap cut of meat because it's so tough and now it's more per pound than top sirloin at my grocery. Scarcity plays a part because there isn't a lot of it on a cow, but that's always been the case.

Demographics and cultural food preferences? A poor economy? For whatever reason, it appears that demand has gone up.

I bought some pizza dough at the grocery store, so I guess I'm making pizza. Not sure what I have on hand, though. It may be a cheese pizza. ETA looks like artichoke hearts, mozzarella, green olives, anchovies. Sauce and spices, of course.

I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 7/2/2017 at 3:28 PM, ennui said:

I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

Is it all the spices? That's usually the stopping point for me.

Jalapeno corn pudding casserole tonight.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, 2727 said:

I was wondering the same think about skirt steak.  It used to be cheap as chips.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, ariel said:

I was wondering the same think about skirt steak.  It used to be cheap as chips.

TV  Chefs telling people how much tastier these cuts are cooked properly.

Since summer in SF means it's 63 degrees I am doing a spinach salad with honey mustard dressing, braised lamb shanks and polenta.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

TV  Chefs telling people how much tastier these cuts are cooked properly

Winner. Those chefs go on shows and popularize certain cuts of meat, vegetables and recipes and like good little lemmings we follow along (well not every one of us). So when we like something before it hits the "it moment" we are paying less...a more normal price. I also agree with @2727 that scarcity may play a factor. Fads mean well but in general they cause people to buy something they normally wouldn't buy, try new things and drive prices up. 

• Love 2

I cooked some Parmesan Chicken that I'd defrosted (they were extras from P. Chicken I made a month ago).  Gosh, they're good when they get crispy and golden.  I think they're an Ina recipe.  Also made whipped potatoes--love that stuff!  And some cooked zucchini & summer squash.  AND, I ate the remaining 3 Good Humor bars sitting in the freezer (they're little and one just isn't enough).

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I ate the remaining 3 Good Humor bars sitting in the freezer (they're little and one just isn't enough).

I haven't had a GH bar in ages.  They were on sale & I bought a box a few weeks ago.  I can't believe how tiny they now are.

• Love 3

For people who like fudgsicles, the Weight Watchers Giant Chocolate Fudge ice cream bars are pretty tasty and a generous size. They also come in a "snack" size, but pfft.

2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Cake update - still not made. 

Me neither!

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

TV  Chefs telling people how much tastier these cuts are cooked properly.

The same thing happened with lamb shanks. Ten/fifteen years ago, I could get them $0.99/lb. Today, I'm lucky if I can find them on sale at $5.99/lb.

• Love 1

Honestly, Mr ebk loves flank steak and I can take it or leave it (but don't tell him - if he didn't cook, I'd be eating Chunky Soup every night).

Tonight, we had roast chicken, rice and broccoli... a perfect meal!  And I had some more lovely rose,

• Love 2

I made a beautiful quiche with the last of the ham, peppers and onions in a store bought crust. Much as I hate to admit it, Betty Crocker is my equal when it comes to making pie crust.

I also made buttermilk roasted chicken and mashed the last three potatoes in the house.

So, yes, still working the pantry purge. At least now I'm just making sure I cook what I buy week to week instead of clearing through all the stuff I bought too long ago and never used.

• Love 2

I have guests this evening, so will be trying my hand again with a firm favourite of theirs - home-made Red Thai Chicken Curry and pilau & boiled rice.

A very easy dish to prepare and cook, but being red curry it is a little bit more spicier than the rather more bland/safe green Thai curry. 

Should be a fun couple of hours 

• Love 1

Going with leftovers tonight after work. Some stuffed pasta, some grilled chicken, some vegetables, some rice are all in the fridge. I should satisfy everybody's hunger. Tomorrow will get better treatment as I'll probably make potato and possibly macaroni salad, burgers, watermelon. Fourth of July food. Needs to be done. I'm already looking forward to it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Potato salad for me, too, and watermelon. Grilled Italian sausage.

Everybody likes their own potato salad version best, right? I've never had any in a restaurant or deli that I thought measured up.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Everybody likes their own potato salad version best, right? I've never had any in a restaurant or deli that I thought measured up.

I don't eat potato salad (I hate potatoes), but substitute macaroni salad, and that's me -- I will not eat anything other than my mom's anymore, because I got tired of any other version I tried inevitably not being "right."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Potato salad is what Satan serves in Hell.  Extra warm so you get salmonella. 

Fuck... maybe I've got this heaven and hell thing all wrong if hell has the potato salad. 

• Love 3